• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Saw some of the podcasts recently and quite enjoyed them. Didn't care for the reviews that much but I liked the personalities and would probably have watched some more of them. Too bad.

BrunoM

Defy if im not mistaken who are who closed them owns smosh and some other crapy "gaming" chanel and site so they kicked the only ones thay ACTUALLY knew what they were doing and talking about ..

100% bullshit
Edit2: defy is who owned them now not Viacom
Edit
Big staff. Expensive operation. Expensive city. Low views on their website. Low ad revenue.
Yes part of the problem too

Coldsun

Banned
Viacom if im not mistaken who are who closed them owns smosh and some other crapy "gaming" chanel and site so they kicked the only ones thay ACTUALLY knew what they were doing and talking about ..

100% bullshit

Viacom sold them a while back. Defy owns GT, Smosh, BReak, The Escapist, Screen Junkies, GameFront, and a few others. Viacom isn't even in this picture anymore.

diablogod

Damn this sucks. Been enjoying tons of their original content lately. Hope they all land something awesome soon. Or possibly patreon why they either move or look for jobs in that expensive city =(.

Does anyone have the Resident Evil twitch full playthrough streams downloaded and archived somewhere? Was looking around and only seen 2-3 of them on the highlights. If anyone has them send me a PM.

GT Time - Never again
The Final Bosman - Never Again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Mandatory Update & the Beautyboys - NEVER AGAIN

Too much... too much...

This is depressing as hell. And they were literally the one crew who's gaming coverage I paid attention to as well, albeit only in the past six months or so. Can't stand the Giant Bomb guys, Colin & Greg are getting too high and mighty for my tastes now, Videogamer are only good for comedy skits - just nobody else is all that appealing to me. And of course, the one team whose positive and enthusiastic content I really enjoyed had to be the ones to go.

Hey All,

Just wanted to post some memories for GAF as a little encouragement to tweet or email some kind words to the GT Team.

All of the guys that were in the final formation of GT are good guys. GREAT guys, really. They're all super passionate and talented, but more than that, they're legitimately good people.

Now while all of them are stand up in my book, I want to call out specifically Daniel Bloodworth and Brandon Jones.

I've worked in a LOT of environments before. Often, workplaces are depressingly political, with closed door grumblings and enough ego-driven hierarchal power plays to make your head spin. And while GT certainly had enough of that over the years, you never got ANY of that from Daniel or Brandon.

I mean...EVER.

These were the guys where if you slept in the office, Brandon would still be there at 2 in the morning working on a review, or Blood would be the first to arrive at some insane hour just to get a jump on the day. Having slept in the office a few times, I know first hand that if there's any bump in the night at GT, it's ALWAYS Brandon Jones doing that extra gameplay pass that might seem excessive to some, but always made his work THAT much better.

Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that if EVERYONE in the office is complaining about <insert any office america complaint> Bloodworth would be the one that isn't part of the scuttlebutt. He's the guy working. Tightening up reviews. Taking notes on the games. Doing capture. WHATEVER. Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that said if he's going to do something, he did it. Period. Also, possibly one of the most honest people I've ever met.

These guys didn't do it because they wanted advancement opportunities or cool points with peers. They were this way because it was in their character. It was just who they were.

You just don't meet people every day with the kind of integrity and work ethic that these two - and frankly the whole GT team - exemplified.

So if you have a moment, just give those guys an extra shout out or something. They were those behind-the-scenes pillars that never quite take the credit they deserved, but kept the place standing.

Thank you for this.
I've got nothing but mad respect for Bloodworth. Not only did he seem to go out of his way at work, but he still found time to keep us informed about any news here on GAF.

DKHF

It would have been amazing to see the team's live reactions to stuff like the NX reveal this year... Hopefully at least some of them can keep doing similar content (and all of them get jobs no matter where of course).

sublimit

Banned
Well that was unexpected.

To be honest i can't say i was a "loyal" fan.I think i haven't checked the site for more than a year now.Sometimes there were shows that i enjoyed and sometimes others that i didn't.Their reviews were also not always as critical as they should have been often overlooking major flaws in games.

Regardless of that i hope everyone lands on their feet and find new jobs soon!

NotUS

Huge amount of respect for Bloodworth and Jones, two very credible reviewers, I'm sure they'll show up at a quality gaming site soon.

Great crew all round, really passionate about their games. I think Bosman will find a new home, just hope he doesn't lose anything in the transition.

Keighley to the rescue?

Regardless of how it all pans out, a huge thanks for their past work, and best wishes for what comes next.

Pein

Banned
This sucks so bad, they were literally the only gaming site and crew I liked. Watched most of their shows and reviews.

Hopefully they can get another channel or site going because I need more content from these guys.

dex3108

I'm stunned; biggest gaming site on the net, gone just like that! Something must have gone seriously wrong.

Things went wrong during Viacom days because Viacom didn't know how manage gaming site. Then Defy Media bought them and never understood why GT is good content creator and never gave them enough man power to create content like Retrospective or Timeline.

oti

Banned
Retrospecitve and Timeline are THE BEST series about video games on the internet. You could put that stuff on DVD and sell it just like it is.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
So I am just wondering. There are some people that make millions a year with their YT gaming videos. If a site like GT would have decided a while ago to just put all of their stuff on Youtube, wouldn't that helped them massively in terms of revenue...?

How big was their current staff?

Aurongel

So I am just wondering. There are some people that make millions a year with their YT gaming videos. If a site like GT would have decided a while ago to just put all of their stuff on Youtube, wouldn't that helped them massively in terms of revenue...?

How big was their current staf?
The mass audience wants personality-driven lets plays, not punctual longer-form reviews on a weekly basis.

Oh man, this sucks bad. They´re my favorite gaming site (next to gaf) on the internet. Love their shows, the streams.

There was a short period after Shane and Marcus left, where i was down on the site, but after that, they became better than ever, imo.

If their stuff, and the GT site are still online, i´m gonna download everything from it. I know a couple of you are doing it already, but it can´t hurt. And at least use my connection that i pay for.

Man, i hope they don´t just disappear. I hope Brandon builds another site and gets some, most of the guys for it. Use patreon. Though that many people in LA would be quite expensive.... :(

UrbanRats

They did put all of their stuff on Youtube, but they didn't get that many views.
I think their staff is around 10 people.

dex3108

In short these days screaming YT personalities are popular not quality content.

I am not sure if the people who watch YT personalities like Pewdiepie are the same ones who watch high quality stuff like the timeline videos.

And even then, imagine making one of the timeline videos takes about 3-4 months and it has a hitview of about 2-3 million, I dont think it would have been worth the hassle then.

Anticol

Banned
This is actually super sad news, Gametrailers is(was) one of the two sites I would check daily for gaming related content since the last couple of years, not only that I listen to their podcast every week as well. Hope all of them land on their feet.

BrunoM

Not sure how big they are the easy math would be the ones we see on gt time and their other shows I would say 9 but sure they have some behind cameras ..

And yeah of GT had moved with time a long time ago they could've been one of the pages with a couple million subs ...

Sad I'm losing my one to go place my all time Fav podcast I would watch on youtube ever damn week

Tregard

Soothsayer
Just echoing basically every sentiment in this thread once more, I really hope the majority of the team can stick together and form a new website that isn't restricted by a parent company that clearly doesn't care. I suppose it's unrealistic to think they will all be able to cope with starting a new site, but I just hope the GT Team doesn't get flung across the media landscape and I have to go to three or four different sites to get their opinions.

First stage is denial, I suppose.

Legitimately crushed, visited they're channel every day, watched every show. They just had an incredibly honest, sincere, positive vibe about the industry that really isn't reflected anywhere else; no cynicism, no moaning, just bunch of passionate people who love games talking about them endlessly :(

Need to get the message to them that there are people out there who would be willing to fund a patreon page, Kinda Funny style. I'd happily sling over a few quid a month to keep The Final Bosman, Huber Hype, GT Time and Mandatory Update going.

Hope they all find their feet soon :(

Engell

wouldn't say that this comes as a surprise when you look at the amount of views they got compared to other
shitty
channels on youtube..

But still, this news makes me incredibly sad, i don't think i have seen any other team on the net that has the same passion and knowledge within the gaming world, and they always came across as genuine with love for the games.

watching GT is/was one of my favorite things to do, if i was a millionaire i would gladly spend my money on them making more videos.

that GT is closing makes me think that there is genuinely something wrong with the world :-(

man-stress-unhappy-120223.jpg

Bossti

Neo Member
I was just waking up, looking forward to another Huber Hype when I found out. Sad isn't a strong enough word for how I feel right now. This wonderful, wonderful bunch of weirdos made me feel more ok with being as passionate about games as I am a.k.a. being a weirdo. Their energy and dynamic is something I hope they will be able to keep as a group but I know that there are times for adventures and times for getting something to eat. Regardless of where they all end up, I'll follow them. I just don't know how to handle the lack of Huber Hype, Final Bosman, GT Time, Manups and all the other great shows and videos.

I'd sure as hell would support them if they'd tried to pull off a Patreon

Drencrom

GT Time - Never again
The Final Bosman - Never Again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Mandatory Update & the Beautyboys - NEVER AGAIN

Too much... too much...

I followed nearly every show and segment on GT these last couple of years... my week won't be the same without GT...

This is depressing as hell. And they were literally the one crew who's gaming coverage I paid attention to as well, albeit only in the past six months or so. Can't stand the Giant Bomb guys, Colin & Greg are getting too high and mighty for my tastes now, Videogamer are only good for comedy skits - just nobody else is all that appealing to me. And of course, the one team who's positive and enthusiastic content I really enjoyed had to be the ones to go.

This is the real saddening thing...

GameTrailers just beamed positivity and excitement when it comes to video games, not to mention they are all extremely likable, unpretentious and talented when it comes to making videos, discussions, sketches etc. Their production have always been top notch and unique compared to other gaming outlets. There really is no replacement to GT....

Always found they were shit anyway. They won't be missed as far as I'm concerned.

Even if you didn't like the content, can't you show some empathy for the people that went into work like any other day and suddenly got fired?

I guess no one taught you to be respectful growing up.

Top Bottom