• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

sora87

Hate to burst your bubble folks but their is no way they get enough money to support 9 people who live in LA via petreon sorry that is just not happening.

Hell, I'd just be happy with a few of them getting together at one of their houses and doing a fun stream every couple of days.

Holy shit this just came out of nowhere, gaemspot and Ign are thriving but GT gets shut down? The fuck...

I really hope they come back in some way.

Hasney

Hate to burst your bubble folks but their is no way they get enough money to support 9 people who live in LA via petreon sorry that is just not happening.

kZvQR8F.gif

diamount

Banned
Man, that sucks. I loved their retrospectives - but it seems unless you're IGN and Gamespot, then you're not going to be financially viable enough to support staff.

UrbanRats

Man, that sucks. I loved their retrospectives - but it seems unless you're IGN and Gamestop, then you're not going to be financially viable enough to support staff.

How don't know for how long Gamestop will be financially viable still.
Unless you meant Game Spot.

keram

latest

They died for me on June 27, 2012, when they launched their new sh*** webpage design.

Loved it before, but then I deleted my account after 4-5 Years GT.

btw. now I'm using: gamersyde.com/ for trailers, gameplay vids and that stuff.

Fbh

This is sadly true.

But I would love it if they could get together (at least online) once a week/month to make a podcast similar to GT time. They don't even need a studio, make it audio only if that's the only way.

I'd tottaly support something like that via Patreon, and they could get a bit of side income.

Hey All,

Just wanted to post some memories for GAF as a little encouragement to tweet or email some kind words to the GT Team.

All of the guys that were in the final formation of GT are good guys. GREAT guys, really. They're all super passionate and talented, but more than that, they're legitimately good people.

Now while all of them are stand up in my book, I want to call out specifically Daniel Bloodworth and Brandon Jones.

I've worked in a LOT of environments before. Often, workplaces are depressingly political, with closed door grumblings and enough ego-driven hierarchal power plays to make your head spin. And while GT certainly had enough of that over the years, you never got ANY of that from Daniel or Brandon.

I mean...EVER.

These were the guys where if you slept in the office, Brandon would still be there at 2 in the morning working on a review, or Blood would be the first to arrive at some insane hour just to get a jump on the day. Having slept in the office a few times, I know first hand that if there's any bump in the night at GT, it's ALWAYS Brandon Jones doing that extra gameplay pass that might seem excessive to some, but always made his work THAT much better.

Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that if EVERYONE in the office is complaining about <insert any office america complaint> Bloodworth would be the one that isn't part of the scuttlebutt. He's the guy working. Tightening up reviews. Taking notes on the games. Doing capture. WHATEVER. Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that said if he's going to do something, he did it. Period. Also, possibly one of the most honest people I've ever met.

These guys didn't do it because they wanted advancement opportunities or cool points with peers. They were this way because it was in their character. It was just who they were.

You just don't meet people every day with the kind of integrity and work ethic that these two - and frankly the whole GT team - exemplified.

So if you have a moment, just give those guys an extra shout out or something. They were those behind-the-scenes pillars that never quite take the credit they deserved, but kept the place standing.

WITHE1982

Jesus just finding about this now.

Genuinely gutted for everyone at GT. I hope I still get to see Huber play Shenmue 3 and Bosman rock FF7: Remake in some capacity.

TBH I've not visited their site for many months as I tend to just catch their content on Youtube anyway. That's always a viable option for the guys 'n' gals though.

Sad day.

Joqu

I'm definitely one of the people who only accessed their content through youtube and twitch but man am I sad to see them go.

This is so out of nowhere. :(

Good for you. Those still using GT weren't using it for gameplay vids or trailers though, we were watching their fantastic original content.

So weird for someone to come in just to say they don't care because something else is better now.

Although I rarely watch the shows as much as once did, I've used GT's reviews constantly since getting back into gaming after a few years off in '08. I didn't realise they were in trouble, such a shame.

In hindsight I guess this was going to happen after the Defy buyout and the mass layoffs a couple of years ago.

Haha. Figures. Whoever I go to for my video reviews shuts down. First CGR (although saved, just about) and now Gametrailers.

Real shame. I loved their content.

Karu

GT Time - Never again
The Final Bosman - Never Again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Mandatory Update & the Beautyboys - NEVER AGAIN

Too much... too much...

Banzai

Wow, that's too bad. I used to post a lot on their forums, but they've been pretty dead for a while now. Quality content on their main page, though.

crimilde

Banned
I used to love Videogamer but then Matt and Chris left, and they fell flat. I love GT and now they are all laid off. What is it with this bad luck?

jelly

Wow, just like that. They made some good stuff over the years and reviews were decent and spoiler free. Hated the website player though.

I'm surprised Gamespot is still around.

I think the staff will land on their feet. Best of luck.

Ophiuchus

Banned
It is very sad ,very sad.It was one important site,community for me.I was the member from the very start and saw this site to undergo many changes which were mainly negative.(All those forum and profile changes no mention media player).
I was still waiting for their new site which they ran recently and tried to log in regularly.

It is a huge loss for the community.I hope the new site will emerge from the ashes.Also I would love to see new retrospectives and the last part of the Diablo retrospective.

dex3108

Wow, just like that. They made some good stuff over the years and reviews were decent and spoiler free. Hated the website player though.

I'm surprised Gamespot is still around.

I think the staff will land on their feet. Best of luck.

Well they have CBS behind them (i don't know if that is good or bad thing).

Eidan

GT Time - Never again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Too much... too much...
Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Goddamn this sucks. No more Bossy. No more Opinion Yell. No more Brandon Jones Disney obsession. Fuuuuuuck.

UrbanRats

GT Time - Never again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Too much... too much...

I don't know how i'll keep track of the week now.

Theorry

So gutted. Damn i gonna miss Brandon his voice, the reviews and it was always my place to go when E3 was happening. Shame. Truly a shame.

This is sadly true.

But I would love it if they could get together (at least online) once a week/month to make a podcast similar to GT time. They don't even need a studio, make it audio only if that's the only way.

I'd tottaly support something like that via Patreon, and they could get a bit of side income.
And then supporting them for hosting and a basic website just audio podcast that is a good idea.
They just do it in the weekends on their own time good idea indeed :).

haven't used them in a long time, so i'm part of the problem. loved their E3 craziness though.

i think it was their vid player or redesign that turned me off, can't remember. and the spoilers....

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hey All,

Just wanted to post some memories for GAF as a little encouragement to tweet or email some kind words to the GT Team.

All of the guys that were in the final formation of GT are good guys. GREAT guys, really. They're all super passionate and talented, but more than that, they're legitimately good people.

Now while all of them are stand up in my book, I want to call out specifically Daniel Bloodworth and Brandon Jones.

I've worked in a LOT of environments before. Often, workplaces are depressingly political, with closed door grumblings and enough ego-driven hierarchal power plays to make your head spin. And while GT certainly had enough of that over the years, you never got ANY of that from Daniel or Brandon.

I mean...EVER.

These were the guys where if you slept in the office, Brandon would still be there at 2 in the morning working on a review, or Blood would be the first to arrive at some insane hour just to get a jump on the day. Having slept in the office a few times, I know first hand that if there's any bump in the night at GT, it's ALWAYS Brandon Jones doing that extra gameplay pass that might seem excessive to some, but always made his work THAT much better.

Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that if EVERYONE in the office is complaining about <insert any office america complaint> Bloodworth would be the one that isn't part of the scuttlebutt. He's the guy working. Tightening up reviews. Taking notes on the games. Doing capture. WHATEVER. Daniel Bloodworth was the guy that said if he's going to do something, he did it. Period. Also, possibly one of the most honest people I've ever met.

These guys didn't do it because they wanted advancement opportunities or cool points with peers. They were this way because it was in their character. It was just who they were.

You just don't meet people every day with the kind of integrity and work ethic that these two - and frankly the whole GT team - exemplified.

So if you have a moment, just give those guys an extra shout out or something. They were those behind-the-scenes pillars that never quite take the credit they deserved, but kept the place standing.
Thanks for sharing. These two will definitely be remembered.

The Hermit

I usually don't care when a gaming site close down, but I am much sadder than I though I would be, this is unexpected.

It was literally the only website I visit besides Gaf.

:(

spanks

Hey, does anyone have the earlier episodes of the Dungeons & Dragons Tabletop Adventure series? The Youtube channel only has episodes 18-37, and it looks like GT.com only has a part of episode 2 now. I need closure!

BrunoM

This is so much bullshit every damn week I'd wait for GT Time felt so honest real it Truly is the only weekly show on youtube from any one that felt it was done by gamers as if 4 or 5 of us would sit in a room talking about what was going on ...
How are things like GameSpot what ever is named weekly tho g going when they have no clue how to engage us gamers plus it so robotic same goes for 90% of all else around GT crew were part of those so damn special 10%

Losing them even more than losing the name Gametrailers is a big lost for us

Hope they are able to land all on their feet and hope that what ever they do they can get together and host "GT TIME" I need it lol

Top Bottom