• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

RSB

Banned
Man, waking up to this news really sucks.

This is so sad. I've been watching GT since 2007, and they've always been great (their last 4 or 5 years have been amazing) Their shows and streams are so jolly...

Huber, Bosman, Willems, Hinck, Moore, Ellis, Bloodworth, Jones, Damiani, Blair, Casanova, Buttons... Such great people (and yeah, I know Willems and Damiani had already left, but they are still great) I'm gonna miss them.

NzHb.jpg

Every single person in this photo needs to be working together as of tomorrow, I don't give a fuck, GT = gaming media. I don't know of anyone working in any medium covering any form of art (cinema, music etc.) with the passion and charm of everyone in this fucking photo.

Kickstarter that shit. Whatever it takes.
Yeah, I'd love if they could get something going. They are THE BEST.

Senteevs

I have to wake up to this?
What am I going to do now? My weekly schedule is centered around GT shows.

Dammit! I'm sad.

I loved watching the reviews on gametrailers. I also remember watching a few shows like Pachters (can't remember the name). Good times. They will be missed.

I don't think there is any reason to upload videos downloaded from their YouTube channels to another YouTube channel unless those actually get deleted. They may just be left alone and there is the possibility of running into issues with YouTube's Content ID system.

I created a channel called GameTrailers Archive (monetization won't be enabled on it) in case those channels do get deleted and the content is lost, however, in which a few people would have access so they could upload everything they downloaded. You can do batch uploads, though I am not sure on the limit (if there is one). It would also include stuff that wasn't already archived on YouTube to have as comprehensive of a source for GameTrailers content as possible. And it has an email that people could send links to other videos that aren't archived yet. So that is an option if/when it comes down to it.

Everyone is going to do whatever they want to do, but I personally don't feel right uploading stuff I downloaded from Gametrailers' YouTube channels to another YouTube channel while those remain up. As far as I know, we have no confirmation of those being removed. But we will have the content downloaded in case they are.
------------

I'll spend a good chunk of tomorrow watching a bunch of the content I missed out on. I remember watching Sony's E3 2015 press conference in a theater and then coming home to relive the moment with the GameTrailers crew in that video we all know and watched repeatedly. Seeing people in the business get that genuinely excited about Shenmue III, a game I'd been waiting for news on for 14 years, was wonderful. Their passion and enthusiasm is infectious, and I hope they find a way to continue doing what they love.

Doffen

Likable characters, but I didn't really care about what they often seemed most passionate about.

It's a pity. I did use GT a lot, especially when they had GT TV with Geoff Keighley.
Invisible Walls was also quite enjoyable. And their E3 coverage used to be solid.

Speaking of view counts, what kind of viewer numbers on YouTube do you need to sustain an outlet like this?

I can't understand why they weren't more than they are, they had all the ingredients to be one of the most popular in the business, nobody else has anything remotely close to TFB and HH and whatnot. Even GT Time stood out as clearly far more focused and relevant than all the "heh you know the guy we know that the viewers don't know? He did this awesome thing at this party all day day" and "i fucking hate [insert video games] and I hate that everyone likes it" gaming podcasts out there...

Doesn't make any sense to me, it's like someone is shutting down Channel 4 and BBC 2 but leaving us with ITV and Channel 5...

sappyday

Blood just got married too :(

Fuck man this is sad. Every Thursday night after a long day of work I would always look forward towards GT Time (it's a night show for me Kyle!). It makes me more sad since this year is going to be a great year for games and I was excited to see them play through it all

Thank you GT

What a shame. Used to use them frequently for the trailers and reviews. Slowly drifted apart in my adult life but still enjoyed their reviews over anyone else's by a long shot.

Best of luck to the team and their futures.

oti

Banned
:( out of the blue

GameTrailers killed magazines for me back in the day. I used to buy the GamePro magazine (for 5€) because of the DVD with reviews on it. Then I discoverer GT and I stopped buying magazines all together. Their reviews were second to none and they even helped me with my English.

But, to be honest, the new shows they started weren't interesting to me. They tried to be more YouTube and that's fine o guess but not for me. And the day Elyse left was pretty much the last day I watched anything other than the reviews.

Still, very sad news.

I still remember when Game Trailers was the go to place to get the latest "high definition" game trailers. That was back when Youtube was still limited to 320x240 video. It was the place to go for game trailers and AVGN episodes. But the moment that Youtube moved to HD video streams, Game Trailers became less relevant in that regard. But I would still tune into Game Trailers for some of the other shows they would air. When Kyle Bosman got a show, it seemed like a new era for Game Trailers, but also the beginning of the end. It was really after the Viacom sell off where we started seeing layoffs and less original programming. But I still managed to find enjoyment about of what GameTrailers had to offer anyway.

Sad to see it end like this... but GT's death was inevitable. Defy Media probably looked at GT as redundant given the other video game related brands they own.

I really hope the old GT crew finds a way to cover E3 2016. Even if they have to restructure into something new.

Damn. Really is the end of an era. I hope they all find work soon soon. Really great guys. Would love to see some of them working with the Giantbomb crew at some point in the future.

Jyrii

Banned
I kinda expected this sooner or later, but it is still a shame.

Their shows Pop Fiction and Timeline were amazing and Bosman is a cool dude.

Speaking of view counts, what kind of viewer numbers on YouTube do you need to sustain an outlet like this?

YouTube doesn't seem like the cash cow that it once was for content creators. Over saturation and ad blockers have taken their toll on ad revenue. I could only imagine that a group like GT couldn't sustain themselves with 10+ employees on the payroll. Classic Game Room was struggling to stay alive, and that was run by one person with maybe two employees (Derek and someone else?) . Mark Bussler had to switch to Patreon to keep operating, which has been working out pretty well for him. I don't really think that sub 25K views for most of GT's videos were enough to warrant their existence to Defy.

But if this group splits up, I could imagine that some of the other gaming groups out there might be interested in pulling in personalities like Bosman, Huber or Ian Hinck now that they are free agents.

Mendrox

What? Didn't expect that. I am not going to any gaming news site, but GameTrailers was the only one where I sometimes went to. Also they had someone named Brendon on their team right? Is this the same funny crybaby Brendon which you can find on Youtube Videos (Project Zero, Condemend 2 etc. horror games and they are very funny to watch)?

Sad for them but they will surely rise again. :)

Before last year GT was involved in Keighley's TV coverage of E3 for Spike, largely behind the scenes (although Kyle got some Twitter reaction facetime in 2014).

So you're telling me that 2015 was the first and last time we get to see them at E3 with their talent front and center? God dammit.

I don't think there is any reason to upload videos downloaded from their YouTube channels to another YouTube channel unless those actually get deleted. They may just be left alone and there is the possibility of running into issues with YouTube's Content ID system.

I created a channel called GameTrailers Archive (monetization won't be enabled on it) in case those channels do get deleted and the content is lost, however, in which a few people would have access so they could upload everything they downloaded. You can do batch uploads, though I am not sure on the limit (if there is one). It would also include stuff that wasn't already archived on YouTube to have as comprehensive of a source for GameTrailers content as possible. And it has an email that people could send links to other videos that aren't archived yet. So that is an option if/when it comes down to it.

Everyone is going to do whatever they want to do, but I personally don't feel right uploading stuff I downloaded from Gametrailers' YouTube channels to another YouTube channel while those remain up. As far as I know, we have no confirmation of those being removed. But we will have the content downloaded in case they are.
------------

I'll spend a good chunk of tomorrow watching a bunch of the content I missed out on. I remember watching Sony's E3 2015 press conference in a theater and then coming home to relive the moment with the GameTrailers crew in that video we all know and watched repeatedly. Seeing people in the business get that genuinely excited about Shenmue III, a game I'd been waiting for news on for 14 years, was wonderful. Their passion and enthusiasm is infectious, and I hope they find a way to continue doing what they love.

Yes! You rule! Get in contact with all those amazing people who are downloading the archives so we can have these for the future. Y'all are doing not only the fans a service, but the GT Team a service as well.

Arizato

This is so sudden and such a shame. Back in 2006-2008 I rarely had access to a computer with an internet connection at home, so I would spend so many lessons in school watching GT when I was supposed to be doing school work.

When I finally got my own PC around the end of 2008 I started going to the site almost daily when I got home from school. My mother started having a problem with alcohol around this time and so many saturday evenings were spent with headphones on and Gametrailers: AVGN, Reviews, user videos, etc. It made some really shitty weekends much better.

Lately I've been hooked on The Final Bosman and I still watched their reviews. I really wish all of them the best. Thank you!

ogbg

What? Didn't expect that. I am not going to any gaming news site, but GameTrailers was the only one where I sometimes went to. Also they had someone named Brendon on their team right? Is this the same funny crybaby Brendon which you can find on Youtube Videos (Project Zero, Condemend 2 etc. horror games and they are very funny to watch)?

Sad for them but they will surely rise again. :)

Brandon Jones

dex3108

In my opinion Viacom ruined GT. From talk after transferring to Defy backend infrastructure was horrible in Viacom days and YouTube uploads were ether week later or never. They make them new website that nobody loved and cut down many things. First mistake was cutting GT.TV that may people waited for special announcements and gameplay reveals. Then they sold GT to Defy who to be honest never cared that much and never gave GT stuff enough power to make things like Retrospective, Timeline, Pop Fiction etc. And that was where Defy media made mistake. I really don;t know why did they ever bought them in the first place when they cut most popular series. :(

I would love to see crew bad together for Patreon but that is very unlikely. But i would at least love to see them do weekly podcast over the Skype live on Twitch or recorded on Soundcloud if they get separated. That is something that they could pull off no matter where they land.

Out of fucking nowhere! I hope at least the staff members knew well in advance and got the opportunity to get their ducks in a row.

Might be the first Patreon I'll ever contribute to if they have start their own gig. They're a million times better than Kinda Funny.

They were the starting point of me wasting hours on video games without playing video games.

So much good content over the years. Though I have to admit, I rarely stopped by there the last 2-3 years...

I hope they land on their feed, they seem like incredibly nice and talented people.... Best of luck to them.

sad..
I used to watch it a LOT..
in the last years, I watched it considerably less, but at least 3-5 videos per week i managed to watch (either review or other specials)..
real pity..

After IW closed down i rarely visited the site and then there was a horrible site redesign i forgot about it.

Really sad, gametrailers where my favorite site few yeas ago,I still have tons of old downloaded videos from gametrailers when i had shit internet.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
I heard that the GT staff didn't even know it was ending until a few hours before the announcement? Because if that's true, that is an extraordinarily shitty thing to do to them.

- J - D -

Even though I stopped visiting the site years ago, I must say some of their original content and live shows are some of the best I've ever seen involving video games. GT Retrospective was just masterful in all regards. Bonus Round and their E3 coverage were both aces as well.

I'm a little bummed to see them go.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wow, didn't they basically got gutted after last years E3? Why did Defy even buy them if they are just gonna close it half a year later? Or was that in 2014?

Fell off GT after the E3 layoffs but it still sucks

Top Bottom