• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Sad day.

For those thinking GT is up there with Gamespot and IGN well both of these are firmly in the top 1000 sites in the world where GT is around 17,000 and this last 12 months just glancing the stats seems it's fallen quite a bit more

I used to visit gametrialers in 2005-2008. People might not remember but Youtube just launched as well and for years GT's SD video player had better quality than Youtube and functioned just as well, you hit play and it worked on any machine spec, was the best place to consume videos plus they had great content. Sometime around 2008 while they seemed to be on the up and up they changed the whole site and it became a broken mess. The new video player used to make my old comp explode. The busy forums became deserted as each year the site couldn't be fixed, forums were fucked and so was the video for a long time. In recent years the video has been okay but the site slid down the rankings from 2008/09

What they've done recently hasn't helped in viewers. I don't think they can repair the damage done or build up the momentum they once had. In 2007 I think they had potential to be a big site for a long time but someone poured gasoline all over it.

spats

Done watching the stream. Might've choked up a bit at the end.

Jones is just awesome, I hope he can pull some strings and keep the band together.

madmackem

If a stand out name in the games media biz can just disappear like this over night what hope for the rest?. I've been there since day one it's a huge part of my media on games consumption, they had there own unique vibe but it was always produced at the super high level of production. Fucking gutted hope they all land on their feet, makes me sad.

JMTHEFOX

Megaton

I used to visit their site often to check out their ScrewAttack content as well as retrospectives and some of their reviews. Nowadays, I occasionally watch some Kyle Bossman on their YouTube channel.

Best of luck to their staff on their future endeavors.

Aurongel

They have some great personalities on their site

I agree but the GT personalities weren't presented in a format anyone wanted to consume.

It's also the reason why I know every single one of them will end up on their feet.

Always found they were shit anyway. They won't be missed as far as I'm concerned.

People lost their jobs here, don't be an asshole.

Done watching the stream. Might've choked up a bit at the end.

Jones is just awesome, I hope he can pull some strings and keep the band together.

While I'm holding out hope the guys get to stay together full time, be it under a new company or via crowd funding, I'd be happy if we just kept getting some form of podcast at the very least.

Maybe now's the time to go for it, strike while the iron is still hot. Do a pilot podcast or other panel show this week or next and gauge the viewership. Just to test the waters.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I wish I had paid more attention to them now... I remember back in the days watching their sites for trailers and sometimes checking their Pop Fiction features. but these days I just don't play THAT much and don't have much time so I kinda left the whole watching trailers thing. their Sony coverage last year had brought them back to my attention and I seriously want to support them because of the amount of enthusiasm they shown for gaming. I hope all of them can find better things out there and screw whoever the management is/are that decided to can people without a heads up.

ogbg

I agree but the GT personalities weren't presented in a format anyone wanted to consume.

It's also the reason why I know every single one of them will end up on their feet.

I think maybe it was a branding thing. I mean I consumed Bosman's dumb game monday on twitch or Huber Hype on their website but maybe people didn't know they existed

Engell

uTLcawg.gif

Litany

Neo Member
This completely sucks. The conversation around video games can get really heavy and critical and angry, and I appreciated the more joyful tone on GT. The Final Bosman in particular is a smashing show and has been such a positive voice. I hope Kyle and Huber can keep doing things together.

Godspeed guys!

Rozart

It would have been amazing to see the team's live reactions to stuff like the NX reveal this year... Hopefully at least some of them can keep doing similar content (and all of them get jobs no matter where of course).

Gosh, yeah. I really wanted to see how they'd react to the NX. Kyle was so excited for it. I wanted to know what their opinions on FFXV, TLG, Persona 5 etc etc would be. It's so strange to think that I won't be able to tune in to another GT Time, another E3 livestream, another GT review again.

And of course, the one team whose positive and enthusiastic content I really enjoyed had to be the ones to go.

Yeap. Everyone wants to be cynic nowadays and seeing the GT crew being so passionate about the games they love was so infectious and refreshing. Huber Hype, Ben Moore and his obsession with Persona, Ian and his love for Souls...It honestly made me excited about the gaming industry as a whole again because I was able to listen and watch these people who love video games as much as I do.

Par Score

GT Time - Never again
The Final Bosman - Never Again
Huber Hype - Never Again
Final Bets - Never Again
GT E3 - Never Again
GT LIve - Never Again

Mandatory Update & the Beautyboys - NEVER AGAIN

Too much... too much...

Yeah, I basically track my week by which GT show is on now / next. This really sucks.

When the petals fell...

This really, really sucks :(

E3 2015 will go down in legend, and GT E3 Live will be a big part of that legend.

Always found they were shit anyway. They won't be missed as far as I'm concerned.

So edgy. Have some heart.

This is the real saddening thing...

GameTrailers just beamed positivity and excitement when it comes to video games, not to mention they are all extremely likable, unpretentious and talented when it making videos, discussions, sketches etc. Their production have always been top notch and unique compared to other gaming outlets. There really is no replacement to GT....

For sure, well said. So many publications and 'personalities' pride themselves on being angry, jaded, pessimistic, ranty, what have you. But the GT guys were a real breath of fresh with their (mostly) wholesome approach to gaming coverage and journalism. It felt like there was no pretense with them; just a genuine love for all things gaming. I particularly liked Huber and Moore interacting together, because they were the two most optimistic and excitable/passionate members of the crew, and it really showed. They felt unique compared to everyone else out there.

geordiemp

I really liked Gametrailers, but did not visit that much.

The gametrailer player was so annoying and buggy it did my head in, so I was less inclined to visit the site so much.

pelican

Yet more evidence that the "traditional" videogame site is becoming less financially viable. Especially via ad revenue.

Ennosuke

I followed nearly every show and segment on GT these last couple of years... my week won't be the same without GT...

This is the real saddening thing...

GameTrailers just beamed positivity and excitement when it comes to video games, not to mention they are all extremely likable, unpretentious and talented when it comes to making videos, discussions, sketches etc. Their production have always been top notch and unique compared to other gaming outlets. There really is no replacement to GT....

Well said. Exactly my opinion.

I totally get the cynism part, but Austin Walker and Dan Ryckert's addition to the GB team is great.

Kinda wish there was something similar to PS I lover you where they didnt come off as jerks...... dammit GT

I think long-form content that dissects news bit-by-bit is tough when you aren't popular.

Colin/Greg and GB can afford to spend a long time on news sections and actually discuss news in detail. I feel like a lot other podcast are constrained by a need to be more digestible.

BrunoM

The GB guys are great folks and all, but a big reason why I love GT is because they are not overly bitter and cynic like GiantBomb.
Yeah the happy upbeat talk and shows just felt like real gamers that are friends talking about games

For most all around is so scripted and has a feeling of being fake ..

At this moment I do not have a replacement for the GT crew
Can only hope they make a YouTube channel maybe I need my weekly GT Time

ogbg

I think long-form content that dissects news bit-by-bit is tough when you aren't popular.

Colin/Greg and GB can afford to spend a long time on news sections and actually discuss news in detail. I feel like a lot other podcast are constrained by a need to be more digestible.

GTtime was that I guess. But now it's gone...

8 hours since I first got the news and I'm still sad. I never thought I would care if any entity of anything closed. But I realized the reason it saddens me is because I felt like I knew the crew from GT. Bosman, the Michael of the crew, but just like MJ he was humble and shared the spotlight with his brothers. Huber's unbridled passion, Jones (with the golden voice) and Bloodworth (cool, balanced and even keeled) being the father and uncle to the rest of the crew. Ben Moore as the energetic little brother who sees the good in every game, no matter the flaws. It was bad enough Elyse left to chase her hip hop career lol. We were just getting a feel for Blair and Brad Ellis. And I won't forget Ian, I've been undecided on Ian, but with the games of Feburary video he won over just by adding his birthday in there. Silly as it was, a little music, a dancing lady. Not to mention the music changes always let you know what game he's excited for. Let's no forgot he helped give us Bloodborne the musical.

See unlike sites I stopped visiting, nothing ever felt like they were going through the motions. Nothing ever felt like this was their job. You could tell the whole crew liked each other, got along and loved what they did. This wasn't boring to them like it seems on some sites. I never heard them bitch about all the other things they have to do this week. Whenever they got in front of that camera I felt the honesty. I felt the joy. I felt the love for all things gaming.

I'm a miss the fuck out of you guys. Nothing last forever... RIP GT

Kolx

Will miss them next E3. Their reveiws were just spot on and I enjoyed their videos from time to time. Also, People need to stop giving that asshole attention.

Can Brandon take back the GameTrailers brand and license back from Defy? If they don't want anything to do with it...might not be that hard.

By going full youtube / twitch / patreon / kickstarter - not having to worry about managing and running a website, nor dealing with office rental costs, I think he can still make it a successful brand.

I always felt GT was pushing against the youtube / twitch media space. Like they didn't know if they were an editorial website with some creative media content or a full on video game based entertainment channel.

I think if they embrace the fact that they are the latter, they could do much better. They all live in L.A., and much of the content can be done individually in each of their residences. For example, Kyle Bosman doesn't need to go to an office building just to stream "dumb game monday." You don't need a Hollywood sound stage to film "The Final Bosman." KindaFunny proved you can record a podcast on a kitchen table with microphones. And in fact, none of their content needs to be scrapped simply because they are no longer operating out of an office nor owned by a larger company. The assets of GT was in the staff, not in anything else. So, as long as the assets are still alive, GT lives on.

It just sucks, because it seems we let 1up die off, but now there are so many other ways to go private, make money, and use public funding, it would be a waste for GT to just give up as easily. 1up broke off with their hands tied behind their back, this doesn't need to be how things go with GT.

8 hours since I first got the news and I'm still sad. I never thought I would care if any entity of anything closed. But I realized the reason it saddens me is because I felt like I knew the crew from GT. Bosman, the Michael of the crew, but just like MJ he was humble and shared the spotlight with his brothers. Huber's unbridled passion, Jones (with the golden voice) and Bloodworth (cool, balanced and even keeled) being the father and uncle to the rest of the crew. Ben Moore as the energetic little brother who sees the good in every game, no matter the flaws. It was bad enough Elyse left to chase her hip hop career lol. We were just getting a feel for Blair and Brad Ellis. And I won't forget Ian, I've been undecided on Ian, but with the games of Feburary video he won over just by adding his birthday in there. Silly as it was, a little music, a dancing lady. Not to mention the music changes always let you know what game he's excited for. Let's no forgot he helped give us Bloodborne the musical.

See unlike sites I stopped visiting, nothing ever felt like they were going through the motions. Nothing ever felt like this was their job. You could tell the whole crew liked each other, got along and loved what they did. This wasn't boring to them like it seems on some sites. I never heard them bitch about all the other things they have to do this week. Whenever they got in front of that camera I felt the honesty. I felt the joy. I felt the love for all things gaming.

I'm a miss the fuck out of you guys. Nothing last forever... RIP GT

This is a beautiful post. I pretty much feel the same way.

so1337

This news saddens me deeply.

I remember scouring this site for direct feed of E3 demos, what, 10 years ago? I remember being really impressed with their lavishly produced video reviews when they first started doing those. The site had a rough couple of years before it found it's new identity (Bosman!), but man did they turn it around. This development signals that modern audiences don't care about quality or craft. They simply want a jumping jack feigning shock at "scary" games or one of the couple of dozen youtubers who settled on the "me gamer. me angry." shtick.

What a joke.

Volotaire

I followed Gametrailers on and off since 2006. I loved their video reviews, unique video series, retrospectives and Top 10's, and they introduced me to characters like AVGN back in the day. I even caught the Invisible Walls podcast every so often. I always watched their weekly/monthly shows with GT TV, Bonus Round and Pach Attack. The SPIKE/GT joint coverage of the E3 press events in 2011-2015 was great, it was something I watched. Their reaction streams this year were fantastic. I even lurked and posted their forums for a while before I joined NeoGAF.

I really will miss them. I thought, with the advent of the 'new style' GT, once after Shane left, and another after Defy bought GT, would bring a more stable GT. I loved their new spin on 'personality driven' video games journalism.

I hope they find and create a project which allows them to stick together, like a Patreon.

Good luck GT crew. Thanks to all the crew (past and present) for all the content over the years.

Drencrom

For sure, well said. So many publications and 'personalities' pride themselves on being angry, jaded, pessimistic, ranty, what have you. But the GT guys were a real breath of fresh with their (mostly) wholesome approach to gaming coverage and journalism. It felt like there was no pretense with them; just a genuine love for all things gaming. I particularly liked Huber and Moore interacting together, because they were the two most optimistic and excitable/passionate members of the crew, and it really showed. They felt unique compared to everyone else out there.

Exactly

I know it's kind of lame to say this, but listening to their discussions and seeing them interact in their shows/streams/sketches made me really feel like I'm listening to close friends hang out and it made me feel like a part of it over time. I personally never felt that with any other group of people on the internet like this and that is a testament to me how genuine these people are.

Top Bottom