• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GC laser lens cleaning.

I'm experiencing some problems with my Cube, the lens seem to be having some problems letting data through after the laser reflects back the data to the laser lens off the disk. I'm getting longer loads or errors. There's also the occasional, no response at all. The disk would stop spinning before the boot screen is finish animating.

Does anyone whether or not alcohol can be used to clean the lens or will it make the lens dull?

P.S Its a launch Cube.

Deg

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
I'm experiencing some problems with my Cube, the lens seem to be having some problems letting data through after the laser reflects back the data to the laser lens off the disk. I'm getting longer loads or errors. There's also the occasional, no response at all. The disk would stop spinning before the boot screen is finish animating.

Does anyone whether or not alcohol can be used to clean the lens or will it make the lens dull?

P.S Its a launch Cube.

alcohol is a no no.

Chrono

Banned
I just got a Kensington dust blaster. It works pretty well but I tried to "experiment" with it and nearly ruined my cube. :(

Now it says DO NOT SHAKE on the instructions and use shorts blasts while holding the can upright. I tried shaking it then blasting and some liquid substance shoots out... now I was too lazy when cleaning my cube and just twisted the can side ways instead of lifting the cube and after a few sprays POOFT!! that liquid substance invades the insides of my lovely cube. it dries out pretty fast so I'm hoping it's not a big deal. :)

Just remember to not shake it, or spray for a long time (use quick blasts), and when cleaning your cube detach it from the wires and let the lens face the can-- NOT the can facing the lens which means you'll have to hold it facing downwards.

LakeEarth

Once all I did was open up the lid and hold the Gamecube upside down for a few minutes. The dust got out (with a little help of a cotton ball) and I haven't had a problem since.

Top Bottom