• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GC outselling XBox in Germany

Broshnat

Banned
wazoo said:
Excuse my english. I was meaning, I had only exact numbers for 2k3, not the whole picture LTD. I could get 2k2 numbers in my archives, but they are roughly the same 2:1 for the GC. For 2k4, I do not know.

If you can get 2k2 number, that would be great.

Anybody have UK figures?

emerge

MASB said:
Wow! This is unexpected news. I was under the impression that the GC has having kind of a hard time in Germany. That's a big improvement in sales to say the least. I wonder how many PS2s have sold in Germany (knowing full well that it's a lot more than anything the GC or XBox is putting up).

Well, latest GfK numbers Sony gave at 08/18 showed 62%, 18.8% and 17.2% marketshare for PS2, GC and XBox respectively. With 600k GCs as a number to go by that puts us at roughly 550k XBoxen and 1,980k PS2. Furthermore Handheld market is 36% of overall market with GBA at 99.9% share putting it at 1,800k.

So numbers for Germany this gen until June 2004:

PS2: 1,980k
GC: 600k
XBox: 550k
GBA: 1,800k

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
Complete German marketshare:
PS2-64%,GC-18.8%,XB-17.2%

GC has been half of the Xbox(99vs199) price since last pricedrop,so its quite logical,as german buyers are looking at the price more then at the brand.
Xbox had marketshare of 23% and GC 17% by this time in 2003 btw,so its pretty obviously the pricedrop the pushed the sales

Shiggy

Fleming said:
GC has been half of the Xbox(99vs199) price since last pricedrop,so its quite logical,as german buyers are looking at the price more then at the brand.

No, this isn't right! Some parents gave the GCN as a present, because it was so cheap, but many people buy the "cool" console...

Gaspode

jarrod said:
GameCube also leads XBox in Spain and Italy for Euro regions iirc. XBox was leading in Germany until recently evidently.

I'm pretty sure Xbox leads Cube in Spain. If you walk into any games shop, lots of PS2 games, many Xbox games and the Gamecube section is always in a corner sharing its place with the GBA games.

NWO

Lukas said:
Xbox and GC are dead even in Canada huh? Xbox has 54% of the market share in Canada, it has sold more there than the PS2. Explain to me how GC and Xbox are dead even.

That's post #2.

AirBrian

Awesome, those 3 years of German in high school really paid off. :)

Honestly though, I would love to pick it back up again if I had the time.

EDIT: I do remember some idiom for "passing gas" that if you literally translated it, it meant, "He really blew over the suitcase!" It was funny at the time.

Shiggy

AirBrian said:
Awesome, those 3 years of German in high school really paid off. :)

Honestly though, I would love to pick it back up again if I had the time.

EDIT: I do remember some idiom for "passing gas" that if you literally translated it, it meant, "He really blew over the suitcase!" It was funny at the time.

Where do you live that you could learn German?

Nintendo ist Marktführer in Deutschland.

Can you translate this :D

AirBrian

Dallas, TX area. In high school, Spanish, French, and German are offered. Everyone takes Spanish (being in Texas), so I took German. Always had a slight interest in Germany growing up for some reason. Berlin (and Germany) being split up and controlled by two vastly different nations was interesting to me. Plus, I've heard Germany is just a beautiful country.

Nintendo is a market leader in Germany?

Shiggy

AirBrian said:
Dallas, TX area. In high school, Spanish, French, and German are offered. Everyone takes Spanish (being in Texas), so I took German. Always had a slight interest in Germany growing up for some reason. Berlin (and Germany) being split up and controlled by two vastly different nations was interesting to me. Plus, I've heard Germany is just a beautiful country.

Nintendo is a market leader in Germany?

At my school (boarding school) you can take French, Latin and Spanish (but Spanish only if you're in the 11th class). English is a main language as German. I also have PE and History in English.

Yes, according to Nintendo they're the market leader in Germany. (GameCube + GBA) ....

wazoo

Shiggy said:
Where do you live that you could learn German?

Nintendo ist Marktführer in Deutschland.

Can you translate this :D

Not very difficult.

Everybody knows what a "fuhrer" is, this is the bad guy in WW movies, and since the bad guy always lose, it means "Nintendo is losing console wars in germany !!!"

Shiggy

wazoo said:
Not very difficult.

Everybody knows what a "fuhrer" is, this is the bad guy in WW movies, and since the bad guy always lose, it means "Nintendo is losing console wars in germany !!!"

XD
Sometimes the German language is funny (when you look to the English)

Kola

AniHawk said:
Er, thanks. I copied it from some site.

I should know German. My grandma does.

I know Schlauffen means sleep and schlauggen means walk (At least I think it means walk. I probably just butchered their spelling).

Schlafen = sleeping, but honestly, I don't know what schlauggen is supposed to mean. :)

Kola

CVXFREAK said:
I find German to be a very scary language, to be totally honest. :p

That's all due to the two fucking World Wars. Especially because of games and movies the German language got kinda distorted abroad. Most non-germans usually only hear words like "Führer", "Mein Leben!", "Autobahn", "Raus!", "Feuer", "Sieg", "Fallschirmjäger", "Mädchen" and co. Most of the time they are shouted like there's no tomorrow. Thanks a bunch id, EA and Hollywood. :)

Might be totally off-topic now but you might give this a read:

Mark Twain, 1880:
"The Awful German Language"

"I think that a description of any loud, stirring, tumultuous episode must be tamer in German than in English. Our descriptive words of this character have such a deep, strong, resonant sound, while their German equivalents do seem so thin and mild and energyless. Boom, burst, crash, roar, storm, bellow, blow, thunder, explosion; howl, cry, shout, yell, groan; battle, hell. These are magnificent words; the have a force and magnitude of sound befitting the things which they describe. But their German equivalents would be ever so nice to sing the children to sleep with, or else my awe-inspiring ears were made for display and not for superior usefulness in analyzing sounds. Would any man want to die in a battle which was called by so tame a term as a Schlacht? Or would not a consumptive feel too much bundled up, who was about to go out, in a shirt-collar and a seal-ring, into a storm which the bird-song word Gewitter was employed to describe? And observe the strongest of the several German equivalents for explosion -- Ausbruch. Our word Toothbrush is more powerful than that. It seems to me that the Germans could do worse than import it into their language to describe particularly tremendous explosions with. The German word for hell -- Hölle -- sounds more like helly than anything else; therefore, how necessary chipper, frivolous, and unimpressive it is. If a man were told in German to go there, could he really rise to thee dignity of feeling insulted?

[...]

There are some German words which are singularly and powerfully effective. For instance, those which describe lowly, peaceful, and affectionate home life; those which deal with love, in any and all forms, from mere kindly feeling and honest good will toward the passing stranger, clear up to courtship; those which deal with outdoor Nature, in its softest and loveliest aspects -- with meadows and forests, and birds and flowers, the fragrance and sunshine of summer, and the moonlight of peaceful winter nights; in a word, those which deal with any and all forms of rest, repose, and peace; those also which deal with the creatures and marvels of fairyland; and lastly and chiefly, in those words which express pathos, is the language surpassingly rich and affective. There are German songs which can make a stranger to the language cry. That shows that the sound of the words is correct -- it interprets the meanings with truth and with exactness; and so the ear is informed, and through the ear, the heart."

http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/linghebr/awfgrmlg.html

B E N K E

I think it has a lot to do with the strength of Nintendo in the respective country, market wise, business strategies, retailer contacts... Looking at the latest few UK ads from Nintendo I get the feeling they don't want to sell any games at all.

Top Bottom