• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

vandalvideo said:
Anyone else miss Ms. Berserker? I went through the entire game and multiple playthroughs of horde asking myself where this beast was. They could have done some really interesting stuff with the berserker.

PS:
The last boss was anti-climatic

I'd like to have seen her back, but the first game made her out to be impervious to gunfire so she would have only fitted in during the vehicle segments, and the reavers/brumaks offer the real sense of scale that Epic were no doubt aiming for.

I'd like to see her back, but only if she can be killed by regular weapons, I think she would make a decent enemy that would slot in right above the boomer varieties (and probably Reaver too, those things aren't too hard to kill with regular weapons)

And yeah, agreed on the second point.

painey

vandalvideo said:
Anyone else miss Ms. Berserker? I went through the entire game and multiple playthroughs of horde asking myself where this beast was. They could have done some really interesting stuff with the berserker.

PS:

Disagree entirely, the last chapter was fantastic and the last two acts
you are essentially indestructible and "playing" the ending. The disappointment to me was the awful scripted "battle" against Skorge
. Scripting sucks.

Aladuf

Banned
Here's a little something that PXG just wanted me to post for him on here so the powers that be aka CliffyB will be able to see (holy shit, I didn't even mean to do that but it's staying! :lol)

Gears 2 as is:

Amazing!

How to make Gears 2 perfect (bold are more important):

- Separate Warzone and Execution in matcmaking (thus putting Guardian with Submission and Annex with KotH)
- Decrease the radius of the smoke grenade
- Increase the time it takes for wallplanted grenades to detonate
- Decrease the contact radius and invincibility on the Lancer chainsaw (also, make it so you have to rev it up longer in order to chainsaw someone)

- Include a "party-up" feature for the post-game lobby in ranked games
- Give the player an option to either invite all friends playing Gears 2 or just all friends
- Include a manual refresh button for the "What's Up" screen
- Include "Recent Players" in "Whats Up"
- Include custom map cycles for private matches

Re-post this on GAF

Chinner

Banned
His comments are pretty much right. And they remind me of this post a page back.
spermatic cord said:
What's the point of having two player's choice playlists? It's pretty stupid. When I want to play I almost always want to play Warzone. They should make the playlists like this:
Multi-team playlist - features Wingman
Execution playlist - features Execution
Warzone Playlist - features Warzone
Team Objective - features Submission and Guardian
Team Territories - features KOTH and Annex
Horde Playlist - features Horde
Seems like PXG and this dude are on the same page. I agree with them.

mjl86

Neo Member
vandalvideo said:

PS:

I was wondering where the Berserker was too, but I figured since they have so many huge and varied new creatures that they didn't need to put the Berskerer in there.
Plus the Berserker's AI was kind of weak in the first game. She would run at you wherever you were standing, and you just jumped sideways and used the Hammer of Dawn on her. I think they improved the AI significantly in this game though. It's much harder and the enemies are smarter on the toughest difficulty settings.
Also, whatever happened to Dizzy? They never brought him back after the end of the 1st Act when he fought the Skorge. But in response to your comment about the last boss, I agree that it was pretty easy (actually all the bosses kinda were) but I think that the climax of the game was meant to be the long 10-minute Brumak ride leading up to the final boss (Lambent Brumak). And that last long sequence was badass and tons of fun to blow everything up.

_dementia said:
I imagine
he met the same fate as Tai unless another squad managed to free him in time like Delta did Baird.

Personally pertaining to Dizzy
I think he's still alive. The fact that everyone liked him and the fact that they didn't explicitly show his fate, or mention it, or reference it makes me think he's still alive.

Kabouter

Just finished the game and I thought it was absolutely great. Non-stop action, non-stop excitement, great levels, excellent gunplay and hands down the best graphics I've ever seen on a console. I've only a few relatively small things I'd like to see improved, I'll spoiler the whole thing in case I mention anything spoilerish.

I felt the bigger locust enemies were overused, the brumaks and corpsers. In Gears of War 1, defeating one of them was something major, and it felt pretty good. Here, they're kinda thrown at you and are very easily defeated due to mounted weapons and what not. The absence of the berserker was pretty disappointing too, I thought fighting her in the first game was awesome. Wouldn't have minded doing that again.

I also felt that the last bossfight, the one against the lambent brumak was very anticlimactic, it was far too easy and really not that much fun to fight him anyway.

And there are two other, really very small things. I was disappointed by the sound of the lancer in Gears of War 2, it sounded a LOT better in Gears 1, or at least that's what I remember. The other thing is that ammo can be a problem in combination with checkpoints. Sometimes, a checkpoint is made after a battle, but before you've been able to grab ammo from the corpses. This is fine if you don't die in the next section, but if you do, you can't get that ammo again. Only the ammo boxes remain. This can leave you pretty low on ammo, I ran into that in the last act especially.

Haven't gotten into any multiplayer yet, but I will soon. Again, great game, much respect for Epic for making a kickass game, easily one of the best of 2008.

Kabouter said:
I felt the bigger locust enemies were overused, the brumaks and corpsers. In Gears of War 1, defeating one of them was something major, and it felt pretty good. Here, they're kinda thrown at you and are very easily defeated due to mounted weapons and what not. The absence of the berserker was pretty disappointing too, I thought fighting her in the first game was awesome. Wouldn't have minded doing that again.

I think it kind of matches theme of Gears 2. Locusts are desperate and they are back with full force. We might get bigger and tougher enemies to fight in Gears 3. *crosses fingers*

AndresON777

shooting blanks
ToyMachine228 said:
Personally pertaining to Dizzy
I think he's still alive. The fact that everyone liked him and the fact that they didn't explicitly show his fate, or mention it, or reference it makes me think he's still alive.

I pick Dizzy and Skorge in multiplayer, 2 of the coolest characters ever

raYne

jdub03 said:
What happened to fighting hundreds of enemies at once. I waited for that to happen but it never did.
"Can create" or "can display" is totally different than "you will be fighting.."

I don't even know how that'd be implemented in Gears gameplay scenario other than shooting from a turret in a wide open area. And even if it was, it's not all that interesting.

Manp said:
well... previous owner could have killed a lot of them already

:)
:lol!

Yixian

Banned
Is this one of those "confirmed not coming to PC means confirmed not coming to PC" games or is it "confirmed not coming to PC until it inevitably does come to PC"?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
jdub03 said:
What happened to fighting hundreds of enemies at once. I waited for that to happen but it never did.

I can think of 2 areas in the game where it happens.

At the very end you are killing hundreds of Locusts and when you are on the tank thing, there are a ton of them on the ground that you can kill. It wouldn't be practical to have 200 enemies coming at you on the ground. How would to stand a chance?

jdub03

raYne said:
"Can create" or "can display" is totally different than "you will be fighting.."

I don't even know how that'd be implemented in Gears style in a scenario other than shooting from a turret in a wide open area. And even if it was, it's not all that interesting.

:lol!

Yes. I was expecting a turret shooting scene with hundreds of enemies on screen.

Edit: If the engine is capable of doing it I don't understand why they didn't. It would have been perfect if they put it somewhere in the final act.

Kabouter

Yixian said:
Is this one of those "confirmed not coming to PC means confirmed not coming to PC" games or is it "confirmed not coming to PC until it inevitably does come to PC"?
Almost certainly the former.

Double D

Went home for lunch and played some more. I have to imagine I'm really close to finishing it. I'm on Act 5 and played a bit after the point where I'm told I have to go
back underground

f@luS

More than a member.
Yixian said:
Gears 1 was confirmed not coming to PC means not coming to pc yet it came to pc so i would say the same for this one.

sykoex said:
So is this officially Game of the Generation?

I wouldnt say so. Imho its one of the top 360 game but i really hoped for a perfect online with real server list and everything, and well u know....very dissapointed coz it was my #1 on the wanted list

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I finished it last night. What a freaking ride that game was. Great graphics, tighter gameplay and great humor. I don't think I have ever powered through a game so hard before. I wanted to see what was next, who would I have to defeat next, what badass battle would be waiting for me.

The battle right before going into the queen's quarters with enemies coming from all sides was probably my most fun batttle in the game.

I will be honest, the SP campaign and MP have been enough to knock Left 4 Dead off of my "must buy" list. That money might go to Need For Speed now.

Yixian said:
Windows 7 launch title. Believe.

Honestly I don't see it happening unless it pulled a Halo2/Vista thing.

raYne

jdub03 said:
Yes. I was expecting a turret shooting scene with hundreds of enemies on screen.

Edit: If the engine is capable of doing it I don't understand why they didn't. It would have been perfect if they put it somewhere in the final act.
Again, because it's not interesting?

Not to mention that just because it's possible in the engine doesn't mean it can be done well. You'd definitely have to sacrifice background/environment quality (or entirely) to make it happen. Or have a "good enough" environment, but sacrifice the model quality of the charging horde and make sure they don't come anywhere close to the player to hide it.

..but mostly because it's not interesting. Heh.

zaidr

Facism said:
Any word on whether we're going to get some sort of Unranked playlists or matchmaking that allows Guests to play?

I haven't tried yet...but you can't bring a guest in for online play? What the fuck. Seriously, why did Epic feel the need to downgrade in some aspects? That is just fucking idiotic.

ChrisGoldstein said:
:lol

Please get that SMG shit outta here!

Multiplayer is what separates gears from the rest.
He's right though. Gears is a really really good game but SMG is the definition of true greatness. If they were both up for GOTY this year it wouldn't even be close.

Kauza

zaidr said:
I haven't tried yet...but you can't bring a guest in for online play? What the fuck. Seriously, why did Epic feel the need to downgrade in some aspects? That is just fucking idiotic.

It's the first thing me and my buddy tried. It's a pisser, absolutely. But we've still had a decent amount of fun offline, but I can see no good reason that we shouldn't be able to horde online.

Gary Whitta said:
He's right though. Gears is a really really good game but SMG is the definition of true greatness.
Never been introduced to the concept of subjectivity?

I just started SMG in October and I like Gears2 more.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Gary Whitta said:
He's right though. Gears is a really really good game but SMG is the definition of true greatness. If they were both up for GOTY this year it wouldn't even be close.

An opinion nothing more. I have galaxy and it's why I bought a wii last year but I dont think I'll still be playing it in 1, 2 years. I didnt even finish the game, I've never been a big mario or nintendo fan so maybe that's why. I played GOW 1 up until last week :)

I understand some people dont like playing online but to me that is what makes a game

--edit lets get back on topic lol

Chinner

Banned
SMG was fun but can't really be bothered with it now that its over and done with it. Didn't leave a amazing taste like. Gears is definantly more to my style.

FrankT

Gary Whitta said:

Of course one could argue that and then again Bioshock had roughly the same amount of GOTY awards among critics last year so that line of thinking isn't really universal. Edit, beaten on subjectivity. I'm not so sure Gears will win out as many awards as the original, but it should pull in quite a few when the dust settles. It's certainly a notch up from the first.

Meohsix

anyone have their save data just magically disappear?

campaign, horde, collectibles, unlockables, ALL GONE
but strangely i still have the achievements

:'(

Brakara

dskillzhtown said:
I will be honest, the SP campaign and MP have been enough to knock Left 4 Dead off of my "must buy" list. That money might go to Need For Speed now.

Yeah, L4D was on my must-buy list as well, but alas, no more. There's no chance in hell I'm getting Need for Speed though.

ChrisGoldstein said:
An opinion nothing more. I have galaxy and it's why I bought a wii last year but I dont think I'll still be playing it in 1, 2 years. I didnt even finish the game, I've never been a big mario or nintendo fan so maybe that's why.

Unless you grew up with Nintendo games, SMG is nothing more than just a very good game.

shpankey

not an idiot
George said:
anyone have their save data just magically disappear?

campaign, horde, collectibles, unlockables, ALL GONE
but strangely i still have the achievements

:'(
i dunno but for some reason my XBL profile keeps becoming corrupted. I have the new $199 Xbox 360 arcade unit with the 256mb memory card (don't have a Hard Drive yet).

Brakara said:
Unless you grew up with Nintendo games, SMG is nothing more than just a very good game.
I did not grow up on Nintendo and I appreciate SMG for the masterpiece of game design that it is. So you're wrong.

Top Bottom