• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Brakara

zaidr said:
I haven't tried yet...but you can't bring a guest in for online play? What the fuck. Seriously, why did Epic feel the need to downgrade in some aspects? That is just fucking idiotic.

You can bring a guest for private matches, but not for public ones. And IIRC, you couldn't bring guests for ranked games in the first Gears either. The problem with guests in ranked matches is that they screw up the whole ranked part.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm most impressed by how awesome the multiplayer component has turned out in this game. I couldn't play Gears 1 online for more than five minute stretches, but I can't rip myself away from this. Horde and Versus alike.

The new submission mode(meatflag!) is like the greatest tug-of-war match to ever come to the virtual battlescape. Horde mode is the quintessential 30-seconds of fun contained into a quick fix package.

Epic truly has a hit on its hands and deserves all the praise the first game DIDN'T.

I really do like submission.

Last night in a public match I recovered the Meatflag twice in a row; winning the game for my team.
Map was Day One and goddamn is it unnerving hearing the fucking mortar whist carrying the Stranded.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Opinions are opinions - from what I've played of SMG, I found it was a great game, no doubt, but never saw anything "brilliant" about it like you'd hear all over these forums, or had any moments that made me want to talk to someone about it...

However, from when you got out of the "training" of Gears 2, it was a non-stop roller coaster from then till the end and I had to post on here every new scene/area... meeting up with friends and talking about what we saw in the Campaign, or from the killer matches we had online the night before is just pure excitement and laughs...

If there were ever a Game of the Generation Award, hell yeah Gears 2 is up there!

f@luS said:
Gears 1 was confirmed not coming to PC means not coming to pc yet it came to pc so i would say the same for this one.

That sentence was a bit on the rough side, but if you're saying that Gears 1 was confirmed to never come on PC, then you're absolutely wrong - it was always a "no comment, but we never forget our PC fans" answer every time...

And now, Epic actually straight-up said that there won't be a Gears 2 PC version period...

jdub03

Just curious. What difficulty did everyone beat horde mode on the first time through. I played through the first 20 waves on hardcore then beat the rest on casual:lol . After a couple hours trying to beat it we eventually switched to the easier difficulty.

prophecy0

George said:
anyone have their save data just magically disappear?

campaign, horde, collectibles, unlockables, ALL GONE
but strangely i still have the achievements

:'(

This happened to me with Gears 1, but I have not experienced it with Gears 2.

2real4tv

Kabouter said:
Just finished the game and I thought it was absolutely great. Non-stop action, non-stop excitement, great levels, excellent gunplay and hands down the best graphics I've ever seen on a console. I've only a few relatively small things I'd like to see improved, I'll spoiler the whole thing in case I mention anything spoilerish.

I felt the bigger locust enemies were overused, the brumaks and corpsers. In Gears of War 1, defeating one of them was something major, and it felt pretty good. Here, they're kinda thrown at you and are very easily defeated due to mounted weapons and what not. The absence of the berserker was pretty disappointing too, I thought fighting her in the first game was awesome. Wouldn't have minded doing that again.

I also felt that the last bossfight, the one against the lambent brumak was very anticlimactic, it was far too easy and really not that much fun to fight him anyway.

And there are two other, really very small things. I was disappointed by the sound of the lancer in Gears of War 2, it sounded a LOT better in Gears 1, or at least that's what I remember. The other thing is that ammo can be a problem in combination with checkpoints. Sometimes, a checkpoint is made after a battle, but before you've been able to grab ammo from the corpses. This is fine if you don't die in the next section, but if you do, you can't get that ammo again. Only the ammo boxes remain. This can leave you pretty low on ammo, I ran into that in the last act especially.

Haven't gotten into any multiplayer yet, but I will soon. Again, great game, much respect for Epic for making a kickass game, easily one of the best of 2008.

I agree with you on the boss fights but I love the new sound of the Lancer.

Is anyone having problems with textures not loading fully in co-op?

daw840

Oh holy christ, we were playing a 5 person horde game on avalanche. Got to level 50 and just could not fucking beat it. I HATE THE FUCKING BLOODMOUNTS. If it weren't for those bastards we would have easily beat it. LOL.

Wiggum2007

I was disappointed that the new characters Tai and Dizzy were so underdeveloped, especially considering how much we heard about them before release. They each got a couple quick cutscenes and then they were gone for the rest of the game.

I do think they did a good job with Ben Carmine though. I was constantly expecting him to bite it, and by the time he finally did, I had actually grown pretty attached to him. Here's hoping that at least one Carmine brother makes it out of the war alive... Actually, what wouldn't surprise me at all is the last Carmine ending up saving the day (by accident, probably) and becoming a big war hero.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
daw840 said:
Oh holy christ, we were playing a 5 person horde game on avalanche. Got to level 50 and just could not fucking beat it. I HATE THE FUCKING BLOODMOUNTS. If it weren't for those bastards we would have easily beat it. LOL.

Yeah. Bloodmounts are killer. I honestly get panicked when I see one running me down. Maulers are a bitch too at higher levels. I can't tell you how many times one of those fuckers have taken 2-3 of us down with one shot.

Beaulieu

Skilotonn said:
Opinions are opinions - from what I've played of SMG, I found it was a great game, no doubt, but never saw anything "brilliant" about it like you'd hear all over these forums, or had any moments that made me want to talk to someone about it...

However, from when you got out of the "training" of Gears 2, it was a non-stop roller coaster from then till the end and I had to post on here every new scene/area... meeting up with friends and talking about what we saw in the Campaign, or from the killer matches we had online the night before is just pure excitement and laughs...

If there were ever a Game of the Generation Award, hell yeah Gears 2 is up there!

Im a fan of gears (1 and 2) and really like the coop campaign and all, but my game of the gen so far is still fallout 3. And im not even a RPG fan.

Im working "in the industry" as some would say, so all my coworkers and I talk about is the games we are playing, and we are always playing together.

Gears 2 was really good, but we went through the campaign on insane, went through 50 waves in horde mode (normal), and played a little mp, but we already are all back to fallout 3.

We are always talking about the game and the way we are each doing the quests. Its never the same thing, and it's amazing.

Gears lasted maybe 20 hours.
I am 50 hours in Fallout 3 and barely scratched the main quest.

But Im going pretty off topic right now, move along.

Baker

Banned
2real4tv said:
I agree with you on the boss fights but I love the new sound of the Lancer.

Is anyone having problems with textures not loading fully in co-op?

Yes.

Plus:
- Being glitch separated from your teammate. We both go up an elevator; I warp back down to the first floor and get stuck there.

- Enemy AI. While somewhat cool in theory, I'm sure it's a glitch. You'll try a particularly difficult part a few times. Magically on the next checkpoint load, all the enemies just fucking bum rush you (final Horde wave style). I've seen it happen in multiple areas.

- Teammate AI. We failed one of the L/R path parts at least 15 times during the
rock worm/fruit drop
part. Why? Every single time, Carmine would run half a mile down a hill right into a group of six enemies and a trokia. Another
rock worm
comes out about 15-30 seconds later, so I'm supposing he's programmed to go there, but again, he runs for it way before it shows up.

- Teammate AI #2. STOP FUCKING STEALING MY COVER OR PUSHING ME OUT OF COVER. I AM MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU.

- Every time we loaded up a certain checkpoint after deaths, I would be stuck in the ground and unable to move. The only way out was to keep rolling until it did that Gears1 style "going to cover warp" that would send me flying 500 feet forward past everybody.

Sorry, I love this game and have put at least 40 hours into it already. I'm just a negative nancy when it comes to opinions about games, hehe.

Manp

Wiggum2007 said:
I do think they did a good job with Ben Carmine though. I was constantly expecting him to bite it, and by the time he finally did, I had actually grown pretty attached to him. Here's hoping that at least one Carmine brother makes it out of the war alive... Actually, what wouldn't surprise me at all is the last Carmine ending up saving the day (by accident, probably) and becoming a big war hero.

i heard Chad Carmine is a total badass :p

Beaulieu

Baker said:
Yes.

Plus:
- Being glitch separated from your teammate. We both go up an elevator; I warp back down to the first floor and get stuck there.

- Enemy AI. While somewhat cool in theory, I'm sure it's a glitch. You'll try a particularly difficult part a few times. Magically on the next checkpoint load, all the enemies just fucking bum rush you (final Horde wave style). I've seen it happen in multiple areas.

- Teammate AI. We failed one of the L/R path parts at least 15 times during the
rock worm/fruit drop
part. Why? Every single time, Carmine would run half a mile down a hill right into a group of six enemies and a trokia. Another
rock worm
comes out about 15-30 seconds later, so I'm supposing he's programmed to go there, but again, he runs for it way before it shows up.

- Teammate AI #2. STOP FUCKING STEALING MY COVER OR PUSHING ME OUT OF COVER. I AM MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU.

- Every time we loaded up a certain checkpoint after deaths, I would be stuck in the ground and unable to move. The only way out was to keep rolling until it did that Gears1 style "going to cover warp" that would send me flying 500 feet forward past everybody.

Sorry, I love this game and have put at least 40 hours into it already. I'm just a negative nancy when it comes to opinions about games, hehe.

True. also :

- Carmine always rush and dies, but I dont think this can result in game over.

- Playing as Dom, after a game over, I would ALWAYS get in game 5 or 10 seconds after the guy playing Marcus arrived. I was still in the loading screen and sometimes even died before getting in game. I wonder if it is my 360..

- At one specific checkpoint, (last chapter, going down the hole) I would always spawn in a destroy building with stretched textures and without a collision. My partner wasnt seeing the said building on his side.

- I also often repeated a difficult section until the AI turned dumb. Im pretty sure it isnt a bug but a "casual-friendly" feature.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Wiggum2007 said:

man I lmao when carmine just slid out the chopper into the worm's mouth. The carmine's always have the biggest bitch deaths. I got my hope back up when the chopper went down in the worm's mouth but no, Cliffy B was just teasing us.

Chinner

Banned
Carmine in my game is pretty conservative in playstyle. He always sticks back and plays Sniper. Tai on the other hand just rushes in and usually gets downed.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Love the game, the ai is sketchy at times, but I've had some ass kicking moments.

While going down some spiral stairs, I did a double chainsaw with Baird, about 20 seconds later, another one with Cole. I was laughing my ass off.

Last nite I watched Dom and Carmine double chainsaw a locust while I was way up in the rafters providing sniper support.

On the crane, there were too many locusts on the ground, Dom was using the sniper rifle, on the platform. So I would lower him let him fire then raise him, watch the reload and repeat until it was safe to lower him down. The locust couldn't get the bead on him at all. Funny shit.

Baker

Banned
Beaulieu said:

It does in insane.

chinner said:
Carmine in my game is pretty conservative in playstyle. He always sticks back and plays Sniper. Tai on the other hand just rushes in and usually gets downed.

He'll shoot the rifle once then just kamikaze right into the fray.

2real4tv

I had a game stopping bug where we had to hit a couple of levers(the part where we are fighting a bunch of locust in front of a huge door), but didn't know at the time so we were able to do a roll off of a cliff and got down to the bottom level and we were stuck because we did not toggle the lever which brought up connecting bridges.

Amir0x

Banned
Why even bring Super Mario Galaxy up? I mean if there were ever two different games, these are it!

I am definitely with the Super Mario Galaxy is the best crowd, but it feels ridiculous to even bothering ranking the two side by side.

In the end, Gears of War 2 is fantastic. So fucking good. And Super Mario Galaxy came out LAST year, so! In this year, it's probably in my top five.

Penguin

RSTEIN said:
Yeah. Bloodmounts are killer. I honestly get panicked when I see one running me down. Maulers are a bitch too at higher levels. I can't tell you how many times one of those fuckers have taken 2-3 of us down with one shot.

This is why I use the buddy system.

Two seperate teams of two on two seperate sides of the map.

This way the whole team isn't taken out at once, and you have someone to revive you if you down.

It seems to work for us most of the time.

DoomGyver

Beaulieu said:
True. also :

- Playing as Dom, after a game over, I would ALWAYS get in game 5 or 10 seconds after the guy playing Marcus arrived. I was still in the loading screen and sometimes even died before getting in game. I wonder if it is my 360..

- At one specific checkpoint, (last chapter, going down the hole) I would always spawn in a destroy building with stretched textures and without a collision. My partner wasnt seeing the said building on his side.

- I also often repeated a difficult section until the AI turned dumb. Im pretty sure it isnt a bug but a "casual-friendly" feature.

Happened several times to my friend and I playing insane over systemlink, especially during the
centar tank section

Aladuf

Banned
The On Timers said:
lol. I haven't played Gears with gaffers in a while and Renwood just removed me from his friends list.:lol
Renwood removes everybody from his friends list, I know him in real life and I can't even begin to count how many times he's removed me. :lol

Klocker

holy crap if I could find a game as easily as other games online and not get disconnected, I might not play anything else for a long while. unfortunately when I sit down to play, I have a set amount of time available and I want to be gaming... not searching...searching... for fecks sake.

It's like teasing me every time I get into horde mode (finally) and then disconnected.

Rlan

I didn't realise until someone pointed it out, but I don't seem to have my "Golden Lancer" addition. And another friend of mine believes his download fucked up and now cannot download it at all. Any ideas on what's up?

Halvie

Banned
Klocker said:
holy crap if I could find a game as easily as other games online and not get disconnected, I might not play anything else for a long while. unfortunately when I sit down to play, I have a set amount of time available and I want to be gaming... not searching...searching... for fecks sake.

It's like teasing me every time I get into horde mode (finally) and then disconnected.

seriously....still haven't gotten into a regular mp game...fell asleep for like 15 while waiting.

Hootie

George said:
anyone have their save data just magically disappear?

campaign, horde, collectibles, unlockables, ALL GONE
but strangely i still have the achievements

:'(

Looks like your save file just had a rendezvous with death, amirite?

Shins

Banned
The On Timers said:
lol. I haven't played Gears with gaffers in a while and Renwood just removed me from his friends list.:lol
I can't be your solitary contact for matches bro. Makes me feel bad all the times you've asked for an invite to full matches :p

PXG is on notice. Fucking invite all.

Shins said:
I can't be your solitary contact for matches bro. Makes me feel bad all the times you've asked for an invite to full matches :p

PXG is on notice. Fucking invite all.

Makes sense. Honestly I woulda been annoyed too. I was so hyped for Gears I couldnt help it. :lol

edit: in my defense I usually play with my bro. So two people aint so bad.

WARNING

Banned
gears 2 is a pretty fun game, and its pretty well designed.
but all these accolades are pretty absurd.

matchmaking isn't TERRIBLE---but post halo3 its a bit of a joke.
dunno why the game needed so many goofy vehicle/riding sections.
or why the game has to have such an anticlimax?

in a lot of ways, it feels like halo2---minus the smooth online experience.

X26

Banned
God I hate elimination. I played mainly warzone in gears, that's what I liked most, and I never get to play it here. Only reason people I think prefer the mode is because theyr'e scrubs who want to use the plethora of power weapons availiable on every.single.map with less risk compared to warzone

In practically every mode I get kill 90% of the time with a power weapon, balance was so much betetr in gears where it was alteast 50/50 startinting gear/pickups

/vent

DoomGyver

Okay, who wants to play some guardian? I'm getting tired of sitting here waiting/searching for matches only for half my team to drop out before the first round.

just send me a friend request.

outsidah

I actually jumped straight into the multiplayer with GOW2 because when I got GOW1 I ran straight into the SP and never played the multi (I jumped to play who knows what...).

The MP is GREAT had tons of fun so far on vs and on horde (YAY GAF CREW!). Today I finished the SP and I have to say it was GREAT. I loved the SP game and just about everything about it. Epic did a great job with this game...
now with that ending... when will GOW3 be out?

The only thing about the SP which was annoying was towards the 2nd half of the game my AI partner decided to just hide behind walls.. I was lucky if he got off a shot or two. I dont need/want the AI partner to do all the killing, but him just sitting behind walls kills the mood of the "action" happening.

Facism

sykoex said:
So is this officially Game of the Generation?

Only after i can use the Xbox Live! Guest function ingame properly (ie Unranked Server Browser/Playlists). Hopefully there's an answer other than 'lol no' soon, so i can decide whether to trade it in or keep it for the multiplayer luls the bro and I used to have with GoW1.

Anyone else experience the glitch where you move all glitchy and can continually shoot without your ammo counter depleting, your bullets don't register, and you can't reload? My roommate and I have both got it several times in multiplayer. I think it has something to do with rolling right as the round begins. Epic's gotta fix that pronto.

Amir0x

Banned
okay Horde is fucking fantastic!

WILL PLAY AGAIN

Side Note: Beat the game solo on hardcore, wanna know if anyone is interested to start up an INSANE campaign over the weekend? PM me if interested.

Facism

Amir0x said:
okay Horde is fucking fantastic!

WILL PLAY AGAIN

Side Note: Beat the game solo on hardcore, wanna know if anyone is interested to start up an INSANE campaign over the weekend? PM me if interested.

I also beat it solo on hardcore. watched my brother play it a little on Normal, and there were less than half the enemies i had to fight :d

Momar

aka Ryder
Facism said:
I also beat it solo on hardcore. watched my brother play it a little on Normal, and there were less than half the enemies i had to fight :d

Really? I recall Cliff commenting that they rarely if ever change up the number of enemies between difficulties, opting for tweaked health and strength, etc. instead.

Just finished a game of elimination on Avalanche and in one of the rounds three people (one guy on my team and two people from the other) got killed by the avalanche. It was hilarious.

Top Bottom