• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

JimiNutz

Banned
kbear said:
How does the matchmaking work? I just want to join a random elimination game. Why is it taking so long? No big online shooter I've played has taken this long to find a random game. This is just bizarre. By the way, add HIPPO SMASH if you wanna play

That matchmaking is really hit and miss. If you're by yourself it can take ages to find you a game where as other times it seems to be pretty quick. By far the easiest/quickest way is to party up with 4 other guys. If you're in a party of 5 it'll match you with another team almost instantly.
I've found the game so much more fun when I'm playing in a team of 5 so my advice would be to trawl this thread and populate your friends list with as many people as possible.

unomas

Banned
Darunia said:
:lol

so true. that and smoke grenades. lots and lots of smoke grenades.

Hopefully a patch is on the way, this game is far from balanced. If you don't get a power weapon you need to travel in a pack, no flanking and the chainsaw in close quarters is tough to beat.

Double D

Just finished the campaign last night. I had heard the last boss was underwhelming, so I curbed my expectations going into it. That being said,
I considered that last part with the HoD and the crazy brumak to be the icing on the cake. To me, the riding of the brumak segment was the end of the game, which was incredible.

Aladuf

Banned
unomas said:
Hopefully a patch is on the way, this game is far from balanced. If you don't get a power weapon you need to travel in a pack, no flanking and the chainsaw in close quarters is tough to beat.
There are some balance issues, it's why I really don't like to play Pavilion anymore. Somehow every time I try to play a match on that map my team can never get to the Mortar and Mulcher in time so it's just a fucking onslaught of bombs from the sky and bullets just cutting into you from the Mulcher. To a lesser extent River is the same way, people charge Boomshot every time and the match can be pretty controlled by that weapon, but luckily the Mortar seems to be used less because it's easy as hell to pick off someone using it with either the Torque or Snipe. Any flaws River may have balance-wise is quite alright though, it's far too good of a map not to play. :)

JimiNutz

Banned
Aladuf said:
There are some balance issues, it's why I really don't like to play Pavilion anymore. Somehow every time I try to play a match on that map my team can never get to the Mortar and Mulcher in time so it's just a fucking onslaught of bombs from the sky and bullets just cutting into you from the Mulcher. To a lesser extent River is the same way, people charge Boomshot every time and the match can be pretty controlled by that weapon, but luckily the Mortar seems to be used less because it's easy as hell to pick off someone using it with either the Torque or Snipe. Any flaws River may have balance-wise is quite alright though, it's far too good of a map not to play. :)

The worst thing about Pavilion IMO is that grenades are placed in the spawn and there is only one way in. There have been so many times when the game has ended up 2 v 2 and the other team will simply run back to their spawn, tag up the walls, and sit nice and cosy waiting for the nades to respawn. They'll just wait there and expect you to come to them which is really fucking annoying and ends in a total stalemate.

I never really have a problem with the mortar/mulcher on that map though. In my experience it's rare that the other team gets to control both weapons like that and I usually find one team will have one weapon while one has the other which balances out nicely.

By far the most annoying thing in the game IMO is the chainsaw. As I said earlier this is the first time I've been on GAF since Gears2 shipped, so forgive me if it's already been discussed 100 times already, but 9/10 times people simply run through lancer bullets and shotgun blasts to chainsaw you. Why on earth Epic decided to allow people to take that much damage when they have their chainsaw out is beyond me.
Also chainsaw battles seem completely random. Sometimes a guy will go to chainsaw me and we'll go straight into a dual (without me pushing anything.) Other times I'll rev the chainsaw, he'll rev the chainsaw, but he just cuts right through me?
WTF I thought the whole point of chainsaw duelling was to avoid that random shit from the first game where you'd both rev up at the same time but the game would just randomly pick one of you to die.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
NutJobJim said:
The worst thing about Pavilion IMO is that grenades are placed in the spawn and there is only one way in. There have been so many times when the game has ended up 2 v 2 and the other team will simply run back to their spawn, tag up the walls, and sit nice and cosy waiting for the nades to respawn. They'll just wait there and expect you to come to them which is really fucking annoying and ends in a total stalemate.

what a lame tactic.

can't you just shoot the grenades on the walls? The other ones wouldn't respawn in time and you could storm in.

Aladuf

Banned
NutJobJim said:
That does get annoying no matter what the map is, and another thing about the grenades is that they spawn WAY too fast. It must be about 30-45 seconds before they're back and it drives me crazy when I'm in the ghost cam to see some guy sitting at a grenade spawn room with about 2 grenades planted behind him, 2 planted in front of him and more in his hand.

NutJobJim said:
By far the most annoying thing in the game IMO is the chainsaw. As I said earlier this is the first time I've been on GAF since Gears2 shipped, so forgive me if it's already been discussed 100 times already, but 9/10 times people simply run through lancer bullets and shotgun blasts to chainsaw you. Why on earth Epic decided to allow people to take that much damage when they have their chainsaw out is beyond me.
Also chainsaw battles seem completely random. Sometimes a guy will go to chainsaw me and we'll go straight into a dual (without me pushing anything.) Other times I'll rev the chainsaw, he'll rev the chainsaw, but he just cuts right through me?
WTF I thought the whole point of chainsaw duelling was to avoid that random shit from the first game where you'd both rev up at the same time but the game would just randomly pick one of you to die.
I've only had the problem once where both people are clearly revving and then no duel happens. Yesterday I was basically inviting some guy to duel with me because we were both shooting our Lancers and were not getting anywhere so when we were a good distance away I revved up and so did he, and right as we got up to each other he just sawed right through me. :/

I've had the other issue happen a few more times where I won't be revving at all and suddenly we're in a duel, it's usually quite confusing since you're not expecting a duel at all and then all of a sudden you're cranking the B button.

I also got a bit frustrated last night when I had my shotty out and this guy was coming at me with his chainsaw revved so I pop one good shot into him and actually cause him to get stunned for a second, so I took another shot that was point fucking blank and he just came right out of it and cut me up. Something needs to be patched where the player has to lower the saw when they're charging you with it up, I can't stand the normal bullet sponging that they take as they slowly just creep towards you and get the kill.

I have a problem with the flamethrower. I basically just tore this dude up and hes running at me with his chainsaw revved. He runs straight towards me and I'm hitting him dead on the entire length from the moment the flamethrower can HIT all the way til he chainsawed me yet he escapes after chainsawing me with no damage, and it wasn't a laggy game.

I'm sorry but a flamethrower should kill relatively quick. Maybe reduce the amount of them on the map and raise the respawn but its still a fucking power weapon in my mind. Shit ain't logical! Or at least give the flamethrower stopping power like the lancer has. You can't just run through a flamethrower!

Aladuf

Banned
Do people just like to play Gears 1 maps over Gears 2 maps? I'm in my second straight match right now where Canals has decisively been voted for over Blood Drive and Day One. :(

X26

Banned
Aladuf said:
Do people just like to play Gears 1 maps over Gears 2 maps? I'm in my second straight match right now where Canals has decisively been voted for over Blood Drive and Day One. :(

I don't know about blood drive but I try to avoid day one like the plague. People just run upstairs, walltag grenade, and sit up with whatever power wepon is up there the entire match with little to no risk save for the mortar, while another entire team will then just tag up the arcade and sit in there the entire ropund, etc. etc.

JimiNutz

Banned
kaizoku said:
what a lame tactic.

can't you just shoot the grenades on the walls? The other ones wouldn't respawn in time and you could storm in.

You can shoot them if people place them poorly, but most people place them around corners or places that cannot be seen from outside, so there is no way to see, and shoot, the grenades that are awaiting you if you charge in. Also as Aladuf said the grenades spawn in way too quickly. One way of avoiding this is by throwing grenades just in the doorway because the resulting explosion usually triggers the enemies grenades as well, but this doesn't always work and is kind of hit and miss.

Aladuf said:
I also got a bit frustrated last night when I had my shotty out and this guy was coming at me with his chainsaw revved so I pop one good shot into him and actually cause him to get stunned for a second, so I took another shot that was point fucking blank and he just came right out of it and cut me up. Something needs to be patched where the player has to lower the saw when they're charging you with it up, I can't stand the normal bullet sponging that they take as they slowly just creep towards you and get the kill.

I find this unbelievably frustrating and it happens way too often. In Gears 1 it was so easy to counter the chainsaw, any damage and the player would lower their chainsaws completely allowing you to finish them off easily. Now they seem to just walk straight through 90% of damage and it's got to the point where if I'm going to get into a close quarters fight I stand a much better chance of surviving if I have the Chainsaw out instead of the Shotgun. Makes a lot of games look like a remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre :lol

Aladuf said:
For the most part I prefer the old maps. At first I thought it was just because the maps were new, but having played them for a week now I think that overall the Gears 1 maps were better. I'd probably say that Blood Drive is one of my favourite maps though, along with Jacinto and River.

Dosia

The wall tagging really does get annoying. There have been a few times in sudden death where I have 60 seconds to find the other guy, so I run around the map and turn a corner and die. Really fucking stupid. Do they want stalemates?

unomas

Banned
Aladuf said:

You're gonna find that happening quite a bit. People prefer most of gears 1 over gears 2 including many of the maps. I personally like many of the new maps but feel like they put too many power weapons on the maps. It's hard to get close combat when the only decent weapons in the game are long range weapons, and when you do get close combat the chainsaw is the best option. Bring back the shotty, get rid of grenade mines, and tone down the number of power weapons per map. Also, the boomshot should only have 2 rounds in it anyone can take out 2-3 people on a team with that weapon.

And for anyone complaining about the old shotty, it takes more skill to use a shotty than boomshot, hammer of dawn ,mortar or mulcher. The torque bow requires skill (not much) but is an instant 1 shot kill weapon. Why did they put so many power weapons on each map?

painey

cant believe after 1 week everyone in my friends list has stopped playing, 4 days ago everyone bar 1 or 2 were playing and now everyone has moved on

painey said:
cant believe after 1 week everyone in my friends list has stopped playing, 4 days ago everyone bar 1 or 2 were playing and now everyone has moved on
Wow those are some fickle friends you have, still plenty of GoW2 action on my friends list!

WrikaWrek

Banned
painey said:

Seems to me every one of your friends has that firmware thing. Only people who do that in my friends list are those ones.

X26

Banned
Honestly, if they could do the following for non-horde public MP modes:

- Reduce number of power weapons on each map, and get rid of some entirely (the mortar really does not belong in mp)
- Disable grenade tagging

It would be perfect. This or atleast new modes/playlists that do it.

It's amazing how in gears 1 the hammer was the cheapest wepaon, and now it's not even in the top 5

unomas

Banned
painey said:

Out of the 8 people on my friends list on live right now only 1 is playing gears and he got the game today and is doing the campaign.

The problem for epic is that they made a bad impression with gears 2 multi and they have to compete with the original gears, Halo 3, COD 4/5 and Left for Dead in online multi now. I'm thinking about picking up COD 5 or going back to COD 4 after I finish Gears 2 on insane.

painey said:
That's how the bulk of 360's userbase is; it migrates from one game to another fast, hence the high attach rate.

unomas

Banned
_dementia said:
That's how the bulk of 360's userbase is; it migrates from one game to another fast, hence the high attach rate.

True to an extent, but the original gears was a top 5 live game for 2 years. The only way gears 2 will maintain that is if they change the online competitive multiplayer or if people continue to play horde and the campaign. Otherwise that loyal fanbase that kept the original a top 5 game for 2 years will move on. I had 12,000+ kills in the first gears in multi, I'm not feeling that at all with this version. I wonder how fast epic is rushing to fix this game right now?

You know Cliffy B has checked this thread, he just doesn't want to post in it because of the backlash to come. I don't blame him, they made an amazing co-op and horde mode game. Those two modes are awesome and deserve tons of praise, I'm sure they're working on the multi as we speak and hopefully they listen to the fansbase instead of the casuals who will buy and move on from a game within in a month. It seems like they wanted to please those players over the ones who are the most loyal.

Chinner

Banned
unomas said:
True to an extent, but the original gears was a top 5 live game for 2 years. The only way gears 2 will maintain that is if they change the online competitive multiplayer or if people continue to play horde and the campaign. Otherwise that loyal fanbase that kept the original a top 5 game for 2 years will move on. I had 12,000+ kills in the first gears in multi, I'm not feeling that at all with this version. I wonder how fast epic is rushing to fix this game right now?
Before saying something why don't you just wait untill Major Nelson releases the most active list? Your method of deducing whether or not something is being played is lousy. For example: Hardly anyone on my friends list plays COD4 yet its the most played game every week.

lol @ fear mongering. on a video game forum.

unomas

Banned
Chinner said:
Before saying something why don't you just wait untill Major Nelson releases the most active list? Your method of deducing whether or not something is being played is lousy. For example: Hardly anyone on my friends list plays COD4 yet its the most played game every week.

lol @ fear mongering. on a video game forum.

It's been a week, of course the numbers will be great for a period of time. The first gears had a patch as well and epic listened to the fans. If they do the same with this game the fanbase will come back.

My method of deducing if people are gonna play it or not is the number of people openly bitching about how much it sucks online. My friends list is just anecdotal evidence to what is surely to come if they don't release a patch.

Voltron64

It just takes way too long to find a match. Lots of my friends are playing other games already also.

Please send me a friend request if you plan on playing Gears 2 multi for more then a month. Playing with randoms is torture.

GT: Voltron64

unomas said:

You know Cliffy B has checked this thread, he just doesn't want to post in it because of the backlash to come. I don't blame him, they made an amazing co-op and horde mode game. Those two modes are awesome and deserve tons of praise, I'm sure they're working on the multi as we speak and hopefully they listen to the fansbase instead of the casuals who will buy and move on from a game within in a month. It seems like they wanted to please those players over the ones who are the most loyal.

I've never really enjoyed Gears or Gears 2 MP because of the weapon pickups. It's an archaic mechanic that should be abolished. Especially in games with small maps.

Echoes

I'm wondering how to level up my rank? I've won several times in all the modes, my kills are almost 1000 and the deaths are less than 200 and yet I'm stuck on Level 3. Any tips?

Chinner

Banned
My method of deducing if people are gonna play it or not is the number of people openly bitching about how much it sucks online. My friends list is just anecdotal evidence to what is surely to come if they don't release a patch.
this is a troll, right? you really think that your friends list of hardcore players equals the rest of the xboxlive population? seriously dude, stop getting your titties in a twist cause im gonna list 3 points that will BLOW YOUR MIND:

• people play more than one game a day
  • theres always a decent drop off after the first week of release
  • communities can exist outside of the top ten (TF2 x360 and lost planet are good examples)
  • Gears 2 is a high profile game. People will keep playing it and will return once DLC/patches have been released

Morph-0

well if Cliffy does read this thread I hope he can get the design team to design more natural maps like in the first Gears. The maps in Gears 2 are rather dull and sometimes too isometric. I only really like River, Avalanche has an interesting hazard but the map layout is not too good. We need more exciting stuff like in the campaign, maybe even a Brumak type hazard for one of the maps. Of course hazards are definitely not what make a great map but a lot of ones that shipped with Gears 2 lack imagination.

What in the flipping FUCK?

I was playing Wingman on Subway yesterday and some dude was literally INVISIBLE. Seriously I looked on his view in spectator and he was invis, he was invis in ghost camera, and invis on other players screens.

I thought maybe it was just a glitch in the spectator camera, but this dude killed his partner pretty easily with him standing RIGHT in front of him and the dude just walked by him like nothing was there and then got chainsawed from behind.

unomas

Banned
Chinner said:
this is a troll, right? you really think that your friends list of hardcore players equals the rest of the xboxlive population? seriously dude, stop getting your titties in a twist cause im gonna list 3 points that will BLOW YOUR MIND:

• communities can exist outside of the top ten (TF2 x360 and lost planet are good examples)
  • Gears 2 is a high profile game. People will keep playing it and will return once DLC/patches have been released

Mind blown! I'm sure epic would be excited if Gears 2 online multi isn't played as much as the original. I'm sure that would be a step in the right direction. This game is getting patched, game over. Off to finish insane mode I go!

Chinner said:

That's four points Mr. I Know how to Count.

Zezboob

Dark FaZe said:
What in the flipping FUCK?

I was playing Wingman on Subway yesterday and some dude was literally INVISIBLE. Seriously I looked on his view in spectator and he was invis, he was invis in ghost camera, and invis on other players screens.

I thought maybe it was just a glitch in the spectator camera, but this dude killed his partner pretty easily with him standing RIGHT in front of him and the dude just walked by him like nothing was there and then got chainsawed from behind.
A friend saw it too. The whole team was invisible.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
'duf, I came back and won that Wingman match after you lagged out. :D
And that's why I call you clutch. Now you need to hurry up and get home or whatever so we can play. I've been playing random matches today and it is just lame as shit. Nobody wants to work together despite all of them voting for Guardian each time, and everybody feels like it's necessary to steal any kill that you've earned if you haven't had the chance to walk 10 feet over to finish off the person.

Top Bottom