• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Why can't I talk with dead people after a round is finished in Multiplayer (Warzone)? (or dead with lliving) It was possible in the first. What happened here, epic?

Aladuf said:
And that's why I call you clutch. Now you need to hurry up and get home or whatever so we can play. I've been playing random matches today and it is just lame as shit. Nobody wants to work together despite all of them voting for Guardian each time, and everybody feels like it's necessary to steal any kill that you've earned if you haven't had the chance to walk 10 feet over to finish off the person.
This is why I've decided that I will never play Public matches unless I'm with you guys. I guess all of the asshole randoms on Live have sent me over the edge. I'll be on earlier than usual tonight, so I'm guessing within a couple hours I'll be good to go.

Acid08

Banned
I guess I'll try this again. I have no fucking idea how to kill someone in multi. It seems like I load them with bullets but they down me in only a few shots. Halp?

Hellraizer said:
Why can't I talk with dead people after a round is finished in Multiplayer (Warzone)? (or dead with lliving) It was possible in the first. What happened here, epic?

Dead people have access to the camera, thus they know where everyone is.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dead people have access to the camera, thus they know where everyone is.
I mean after the round. Like in the first. In the 5-10 seconds where the next round gets started. Where you can hear the meltdowns and tears of the dead after you own them, or vice versa, that was a big part of the fun in the first.

Shins

Banned
Hellraizer said:
It has to be a bug or some kind. If intentional, I fail to see the reasoning. As it is, you can talk cross-team when you die, but not in between rounds? I could understand restricting cross-team discussion between rounds totally, saving all trash talk for pre and post game, but the way it is right now seems off.

Acid08 said:
I guess I'll try this again. I have no fucking idea how to kill someone in multi. It seems like I load them with bullets but they down me in only a few shots. Halp?
Are you running downloads over a shared internet connection while you play?
Is your router's NAT type set to "open"?

Shins said:
It has to be a bug or some kind. If intentional, I fail to see the reasoning; as it is, you can talk cross-team when you die, but not in between rounds? I could understand restricting cross-team discussion between rounds totally, but this way seems off.
There is cross-team talk, only between the dead, during the round (as usual) and after the round (also as usual).

But if you are the only one left, you have 5 silent seconds before the next round starts. Or if there is a tie I guess you can cross-talk with the other enemy who is alive...

Even more funny: it was the same in Gears 1 and they patched it in later....so they probably will again, but why not from the start?

kbear

im really sick and will be home all night and want to play gears, add me @ hippo smash i'll play anything, multi-player / horde / co-op

Shins

Banned
I don't believe you can talk to the other team during a stalemate. That, or I was just playing with mutes the times rounds ended in stalemate.

Hellraizer said:
I mean after the round. Like in the first. In the 5-10 seconds where the next round gets started. Where you can hear the meltdowns and tears of the dead after you own them, or vice versa, that was a big part of the fun in the first.

Actually now that you mention it I find that rather odd.
It feels really weird getting a major kill after a round reaches sudden death and all you hear is eerie silence.

That reminds me I need to play more Gears. I'm getting distracted by Nuts & Bolts. =(

Shins said:
I don't believe you can talk to the other team during a stalemate. That, or I was just playing with mutes the times rounds ended in stalemate.
Yeah, you cant, but only if you are alive and the only one left. I just noticed it. Or maybe you can't cross-talk at all during that period. I heard dead talking but I'm not even sure anymore if they were on the other team. Still sucks, because it worked without problems in the first (well, after it got patched ind), but why "take it out" again?

It feels really weird getting a major kill after a round reaches sudden death and all you hear is eerie silence.
Yeah, it was a big part of the first IMO, especially after sudden deaths, or if you're the only alive and kill the rest of the other team.

Amir0x

Banned
kbear said:
i didn't unlock insane yet, do you still wanna play
it will still work with the split difficulty thing

i sent you a friend request.

how does the split difficulty thing work? If I complete the game on Insane, do I get the insane achievements still? What about co-op achievements?

Shins

Banned
There's also a problem where the audio will fade/cut out when you lose a match.

ex: Prescott starts berating you when the winner of the round is displayed, goes quiet for a few moments, and comes back full-force once the end-of-round stats screen pops up.

Maybe the voice-chat stuff has something to do with how the hosting is split up now, where there's a seperate host for the voice-chat?

Acid08

Banned
_dementia said:
Are you running downloads over a shared internet connection while you play?
Is your router's NAT type set to "open"?
To the first question, the 360 is usually the only thing using the internet while I play. Second question, I have no fucking idea.

Chinner

Banned
Acid08 said:
To the first question, the 360 is usually the only thing using the internet while I play. Second question, I have no fucking idea.
when you go into matchmaking does it give you a warning about your internet settings?

kbear

Amir0x said:

how does the split difficulty thing work? If I complete the game on Insane, do I get the insane achievements still? What about co-op achievements?
the co-op achievement will work but i dunno about the insane one. i don't see why it wouldn't... can someone confirm?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
yes you get your insane achievement if your partner's playing on another difficulty.

Papercuts said:
I'm not sure how a lot of the parts will work though, on insane the derrick gets destroyed if you miss like 2 of those pods, on casual it's obviously a lot more hits...I don't know how they could balance something like that out.

I'm not sure either. It varies: someone playing on normal joined me when I was doing the
riftworm section, and the teeth moved reaaally slow
, so that was adjusted to his difficulty. The centaur section on the other hand, was unforgiving. Maybe because I was the driver.

If you want to have an easier time there, I bet it's different when the other person hosts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Amir0x said:

Yeah, one person could be on insane and another on casual and whoever is on insane will still get the achievements.

I'm not sure how a lot of the parts will work though, on insane the derrick gets destroyed if you miss like 2 of those pods, on casual it's obviously a lot more hits...I don't know how they could balance something like that out.

shpankey

not an idiot
Acid08 said:
you don't know how many times in how many games this exact thing happens to me. i never can figure it out.

there's also a lot of games where i dominate everything and everybody and everything seems perfect, i shoot a guy, he dies, he shoots me, i die.

but yeah, there are games where i have literally (i mean literally!) unloaded a full clip in someone point blank in a dance only to have them drop me in what looked like only a few shots.

i've come to the conclusion it has something to do with invisible lag. i remember something about this in Quake II, where lag was invisible to you, but in reality, something different was actually happening that wasn't reflected on your screen. i'm not sure, but maybe it was the "prediction" stuff?

All of this is made worse on XBL because you don't get to see a ping rating or how many hops you go through to a given server (host). at least on the PC you can minimize this effect by finding really good servers for your location.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
But I wanna be the wind beneath your wings :(
You're never on anymore. I've been wanting you to join all of us for some matches since day 1 or 2 but you've been nowhere to be found.

cresto

hey i need peoples to play MP with right now, preferably elimination game type. send me a friend request to FREIGHT TRAIN68

Amir0x

Banned
Co-op was fun kbear, definitely moves SOOO much faster than alone. Maybe 'cause I was taking in the sights and dying a lot more :lol

Definitely gonna wanna pick up the campaign again with you at some point :D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
shpankey said:
but yeah, there are games where i have literally (i mean literally!) unloaded a full clip in someone point blank in a dance only to have them drop me in what looked like only a few shots.

There does seem to be a pretty common bug, I woudn't put it down to lag cos shots will register on walls, you can walk and run just fine.

But sometimes some parts of the game will just break for you. you can shoot but nothing wil come out and your ammo won't go down. You can't pick a weapon up, weird things like that.

One of my most annoying moments was in a match of execution and for the whole game I felt like an idiot who kept dying first and I got about 40 points the whole match.

One time I threw a smoke grenade, knocked someone down - sweet - run over, aim, shotgun him while he is on the floor, keep blasting him as he gets up...hhmm...something's not quite right, he gets up, his friend runs over, I start shooting from the hip and backing off DIE DAMN YOU! nothing. I die.

Made me look like the biggest n00b ever. Fucking annoying.

I just finished the campaign. That was fucking awesome. I like how they're setting up the next game in the series. The worst part about beating is having to wait another two years probably for the next one.

The most annoying bug I encountered was that I could never seem to load a save when connected to live.
I had to keep pulling out my wireless adapter to get it to load.

I have a golden hammerburst code to spare if anyone wants it. PM Me. :)

JimiNutz

Banned
kaizoku said:
There does seem to be a pretty common bug, I woudn't put it down to lag cos shots will register on walls, you can walk and run just fine.

But sometimes some parts of the game will just break for you. you can shoot but nothing wil come out and your ammo won't go down. You can't pick a weapon up, weird things like that.

One of my most annoying moments was in a match of execution and for the whole game I felt like an idiot who kept dying first and I got about 40 points the whole match.

One time I threw a smoke grenade, knocked someone down - sweet - run over, aim, shotgun him while he is on the floor, keep blasting him as he gets up...hhmm...something's not quite right, he gets up, his friend runs over, I start shooting from the hip and backing off DIE DAMN YOU! nothing. I die.

Made me look like the biggest n00b ever. Fucking annoying.

I know what you mean, this happened to me sometimes in Gears1 and does seem to also happen Gears2 quite a bit. The game can seem unpredictable and irregular at times and it's probably a combination of minor lag, glitches, as well as poor performance by the player. The shotgun is definitely badly effected by lag which is why in some games (when I have a good connection) I run around downing everyone with one shot or blowing them into little chunks while in other games (when the connection isn’t so hot) my shotgun literally does nothing.

It's also important to remember that actives are your friend. Sometimes I'll fire an entire clip into somebody with the Lancer (although obviously not every single round will hit) and they'll still manage to down me first, however if you try and fire a clip of flashing perfect reload ammo at some guys head you'll be amazed at how quickly it can down them. That's probably what's happening; you’re spraying a clip of regular ammo at some dudes chest while he's drilling your head with active rounds. The active ammo to the head will down in a few seconds-and it's even quicker if you use the Hammerburst.

Amir0x

Banned
yea me as well, it totally signed me out and then said the password was wrong. Odd.

Fortunately I signed back in and got to game a bit, although it was more an exercise on lack of communication and no teamwork (I needed that sniper rifle damn it, I am so selfish)

Still, it was really fun :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
You're never on anymore. I've been wanting you to join all of us for some matches since day 1 or 2 but you've been nowhere to be found.

Yeah, we've just been missing each other. I'm usually on 6:00-7:00 est or late at night on Fri & Sat...

Narcosis

Insane mode campaign is pissing me off with the rail shooter segments. the on foot parts where I'm scrambling for cover and blindfiring and chucking blind grenades like crazy is alot of fun, but the rail segments make me wanna break my controller.

kaizoku

Amir0x said:
yea me as well, it totally signed me out and then said the password was wrong. Odd.

Fortunately I signed back in and got to game a bit, although it was more an exercise on lack of communication and no teamwork (I needed that sniper rifle damn it, I am so selfish)

Still, it was really fun :D

man I was playing horde as well, I was hosting and all of a sudden all my guests leave just as wave 9 started :lol thought it was a console error on my end, I decided to clear wave 9 on my own, easy peasy!

left to dashboard cos you can't bloody quit, found out only 2 people were online!

and now I can't hear a voice message someone just sent me.

edit - and just got disconected again. lame. was planning a really late night on gears with the americans for once.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
btw not sure if everyone knew this but there are 2 extra unlockable gamerpics. One is for beating the entire game on co-op in any difficulty and the other's for beating the game on insane.

Just listened to 1up yours and garnett was hating on the
worm
segment. I really don't see it. It was one of gears' better palette cleansers and the way it worked up to the finale was pretty awesome. I don't recall any major hating on it here, on the contrary in fact

kaizoku

Darunia said:
btw not sure if everyone knew this but there are 2 extra unlockable gamerpics. One is for beating the entire game on co-op in any difficulty and the other's for beating the game on insane.

Just listened to 1up yours and garnett was hating on the
worm
segment. I really don't see it. It was one of gears' better palette cleansers and the way it worked up to the finale was pretty awesome. I don't recall any major hating on it here, on the contrary in fact

that section was abit dull, they could have left it out and it wouldn't be missed at all. If I play it through on insane and die more than 3 times, I will officially despise it. Particularly the bit where you're lost in a poison maze.

there are definitely one or two elements which make me hesitate to start again in co-op insane to get the achievements.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
we need to get a group going and pub it up. because im getting tired of random people that I don't know, the lack of TW is sucks.

Horde mode is awesome, but I wish that they had an option for half a horde mode or something. I don't always have the time to go for a 50 round game, if there was a version you could play condensed into 25 rounds I'd go for it.

Top Bottom