• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Zanboo

Puts the M in Member
Horde is absolutely fantastic... although it makes me want Left 4 Dead even more :lol

Unfortunately dinner is ruining the awesome game i had going with h3ro, amir0x and crew

JimiNutz

Banned
I started the campaign in co-op with a friend yesterday and we played up until the start of the
tank driving section.
Does anybody want to play through the rest of the game with me tomorrow? I'm in the UK and will probably be trying to finish it off sometime between 1pm and 10pm GMT.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
okay , finished the game and now stuck into Horde.

The game is a big improvement over the first, but i'm not sure why
they chose to take somethings , particularly the story, in a Halo direction

Other gripes - the lighting is weird - a lot of the time it's a bit too obviously baked and the dynamic lighting is strangely too subtle one minute then over powering the next. Not a massive problem, but just a bit weird. Some other weird bugs turned up - had Marcus floating in mid air during the
fish battle
for instance but nothing particularly game breaking. Also, some segments like
inside the worm
i simply cannot see being fun in future coop runs too - i just want to go to the riot :/ .

In all, when Gears is being Gears , it's excellent : the cover shooting fun is as good as it's ever been and the fire fights are stunning. When it's not being gears... it depends :
Pretty as it is, the Worm section was pretty dull, the driving section was a bit meh, yet the Reaver fight was pretty decent, and the Brumack rodeo wasn't too bad
Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't - i understand most games need to break up the shooting, but when the shooting is -this- good some of the sections felt a bit unnecessary or out of place.

To be honest, i didn't play much Gears 1 - i finished it a couple of times through in coop/single, but i didn't get into the multiplayer - however, as a big PvE advocate, i can see Horde being played a HELL of a lot - it's just a great, simple, mode and the inclusion of Bots also appeals to the PvE angle.

There are STILL things in gears that could be and i think will be better, despite the slight shift in the game structure, it's still a very satisfying return.

bumpkin

RSTEIN said:
So... nobody is finding matchmaking better? Just me?
I found that I had better odds finding Horde teammates than I did for the standard modes (elimination, territories, etc.). It sucks because I actually want to get into playing the multi this time; never really bothered with it on the first game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
wtfffffff

I'm on Act 3 on Insane and just blew up the tower in the tank, but when I got to the cave there was NOWHERE to go, just walls and stuff. Reavers were flying around and one guy was still alive, but do you need to kill every single person to open a path in the cave for some reason? We were driving around for like 20 minutes and got nowhere so we just stopped there, which sucks. Is this a glitch or am I missing something? The guy I was playing with saw fire on the back of the tank even though it was fixed, it seems like that level in general is kinda wonky, but I dunno.

HOLY SHIT!

Finally started the game with my brother over co-op today.
My god I have been missing the fu@#$ out. Game is phenomenal and
I love that the whole thing seems perfectly designed for 2 people.
Nothing is sweeter than covering someone only to watch them get
a perfect chain saw on a guy you were distracting.

So great.

One side note is the 360 compatible with any other headsets?
The one that comes packaged in leaves a lot to be desired.

EazyB

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
One side note is the 360 compatible with any other headsets?
The one that comes packaged in leaves a lot to be desired.
Pretty sure your average headset works. I know first hand that the original Xbox and a cheap cell phone headset work. Anything that fits in the jack I suppose.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
DCharlie said:
To be honest, i didn't play much Gears 1 - i finished it a couple of times through in coop/single, but i didn't get into the multiplayer - however, as a big PvE advocate, i can see Horde being played a HELL of a lot - it's just a great, simple, mode and the inclusion of Bots also appeals to the PvE angle.

There are STILL things in gears that could be and i think will be better, despite the slight shift in the game structure, it's still a very satisfying return.

My only problem with Horde is my same problem with co-op in Halo. You can really only play if you can get into a private game. Which in itself is fine, but why not let people play co-op for real in public matches?

To play on hardcore, I have to spam my friends list with invites and start a private match? If I want to start on level 20 because the first 19 levels are boring, I have to do a private match?

We can't even pick the damn map we want to play on in a public match? Guh.

Kibbles

They really need to fix matchmaking, someone on my friends list said he sold it already because of the terrible matchmaking, he could never find a game. :\

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
My only problem with Horde is my same problem with co-op in Halo. You can really only play if you can get into a private game. Which in itself is fine, but why not let people play co-op for real in public matches?

To play on hardcore, I have to spam my friends list with invites and start a private match? If I want to start on level 20 because the first 19 levels are boring, I have to do a private match?

We can't even pick the damn map we want to play on in a public match? Guh.

well, i'm doing it all locally via system link and Mrs C is now demanding i spend all my time playing Horde :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hah, I guess I'm on the other end of that spectrum with no "real world" gamers around in my life. I have to play online to play Horde mode, unfortunately.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I need to bitch about the balance again, I promise its the last time. I want to see if anyone can argue/convince me otherwise before I lose faith in the MP.

aside from horde and Gaf matches, I am yet to have a single pleasant MP game, all public aka ranked matches have been awful for me. Nowhere near the same level of intelligence or subtle nuances to gunplay and team strategy as gears 1. Reasons being:

1) yes, matchmaking sucks, but in terms of balance, the fact a bunch of friends can play a bunch of strangers is totally not fun for ranked matches.

2) weapons and their locations on a map.
Gears 1 seemed to put lots of thought into locations of weapons on a map, hell the maps seemed like they were designed with certain weapons to spawn in certain locations. This seems to have gone completely out the window this time round.

case in point, on river there is a mortar in the middle, 2 snipers on the upper floors and a boomshot underneath. If its a straight sprint, most of the time people will reach the mortar first, and whoever does so has a chance to kill the guy going for the sniper because the building has no damn roof. Should the sniper get there first, he can try to take out the mortar guy but then the opposing sniper will kill him. No win situation. you will die whether you go on the offence OR the defence.

Bottom line is if you lose the mortar, your only hope is that your guys grabbed the boomshot and can flank before the rest of you are decimated. which brings me to point..

3) how the advantage is gained at weapon points/bottlenecks. This is the most annoying, boring and unbalanced part of the game and frankly I'm tempted to never play another public game ever again. who ever uses smoke grenades best wins. LAME!

if 2 guys go mortar and 2 guys go boomshot on each team, whoever throws grenades most accurate and at the right time wipes out the other two with ease, grabs the power weapon and the game is over. Either you've flanked successfully or you are bombing the team to kingdom come. One game I died because my team mate rushing to the boomshot with me did not throw his grenade and the opposition threw one each, another time they threw their grenades after we did so we got stunned while they recovered and killed us.

It used to be that the power weapons required risk and skill to pick up. once you pick the weapons up - THATS when the game really began. When you get a power weapon, the opponent has to use the environment, teamwork and skill to beat you. Not anymore cos the power weapons are more like rewards for winning the encounter - some of your team mates died trying to defend it. (Contrast with gears 1 where people would more often die trying to pick it up too early and losing the weapon was the punishment.)

Every map, every bottleneck, every encounter, rinse and repeat. I despise it. I despise the new smoke grenades, I can't stand the mortar in any MP map I've played against it.

Encounters at bottlenecks are usually resolved within 10 seconds as both teams storm in with smokes. No more awesome showdowns or shootouts as teams attempt to outwrestle or outmanouvre the opposition over a weapon. Some GAFFERs will remember the awesome clocktower battles over the sniper spot, waiting for someone to make that suicidal dash to pick it up. Or the mad dash into the pit or to grab the torque bow on war machine. Escalation was also one of the best maps to play on.

can't help but wonder if epic refined the balance for horde mode and hoped for the best with multiplayer. It really is not as good as it used to be. I can cope with nerfed shotgun, but these smoke grenades and overpowered chainsaws suck. Really disappointed because the new maps and modes are awesome (though I do miss some old maps). But the weapon balance and the way they spawn is broken.

I hope some of us start playing more private matches with custom weapon selections, frags off!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
BruceLeeRoy said:
HOLY SHIT!

Finally started the game with my brother over co-op today.
My god I have been missing the fu@#$ out.

HOLY SHIT! I just clicked on your tag! I'm speechless. I don't own a PS3 so I've never been in the MGS4 thread. Aladuf... watch out... if BruceLeeRoy falls too far in love you may be out of a job when Gears 3 rolls around.

h3ro

RSTEIN said:
HOLY SHIT! I just clicked on your tag! I'm speechless. I don't own a PS3 so I've never been in the MGS4 thread. Aladuf... watch out... if BruceLeeRoy falls too far in love you may be out of a job when Gears 3 rolls around.

I can't wait to see what he's got planned for KZ2...

Any word on a potential patch for those with matchmaking problems?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kaizoku said:
Bottom line is if you lose the mortar, your only hope is that your guys grabbed the boomshot and can flank before the rest of you are decimated. which brings me to point..

I was on the "winning team" during one of these incidents. The same thing happens on Pavillion, where you have to dash for the mortar because whoever gets it wins the round. What's hilarious is that it's literally a dash to hit the button to open the gate at that point... and it all depends on when you throw the stun grenades.

jdub03

Is there a remedy to all your war journal data getting deleted. I unlocked all characters, unlocked insane difficulty gotten 600 to 700 rounds of mp, 1600 kills, and 20 or so collectibles. All of it is gone. And its not that its there and the war journal just doesnt register. I have to do everything over. I'm so pissed.

Darklord

Banned
The multiplayer in this game is broken. I'm not talking about the matchmaking, I'm talking about the weapons.

There is NO reason to use pistols, the shotgun, locust rifle, hammer of dawn and Lancer. Why? Because the chainsaw will beat them all. Someone can open fire from half way across a map and you can run up, duck a couple of times and get him with the chainsaw. Shotgun is too weak and chaingun beats it too at close range. The locust rifle is a joke.

Last game I was 31 kills, came first and only used the chainsaw. I even came second in a really laggy game! The online doesn't need ANY skill. I can be lagging all over the place and still get kill after kill. What a load of shit.

Nerf chainsaw, buff all other weapons.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
kaizoku said:

you desribed one of the many things that can happen on River. Depending on who gets what first he rond can be played out a number of ways. You can easily down whoever is running for hte mortar out of sniper view. If you rush to boomshot you can back up in one roll and take out whoever goes for the sniper on the other team and even if you dont you can get a smoke up there to knock them down. I mean,. theres tons of ways that whole map at each checkpoint can go down.

Smokes arent nearly as bad as you make it out to be either. You KNOW they are coming, and everyone only gets 1 per round. Just adapt, and dont try to play it like its gears 1. It isnt, its a new game and you are going to have to adjust. That said, shotgun needs to stop chainsaws NOW.

EazyB said:
Pretty sure your average headset works. I know first hand that the original Xbox and a cheap cell phone headset work. Anything that fits in the jack I suppose.

Anyone try these out?

XBOX 360 GAMING HEADSET

RSTEIN said:

Ha thanks man I finally could afford a 360 so I am pretty late to the brilliance of some of this stuff.

PSGames

Ok I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but hey it's worth a shot. I have a Gold XBL account and when I add a guest (which has my gamertag plus 1 beside it) for some reason it only lets me select Private Multiplayer matches (just friends) or local multiplayer modes. It won't let me access Public online modes. Do you have to have two gold accounts in-order to do split-screen online multiplayer? That would be retarded if true so I hope I'm just doing something wrong.

X26

Banned
The hammerburst is so pointless to choose online outside horde, I'm not even going to obther with it anymore. Everybody chainsaws constantly, in every mode, it's beyond rediculous how stupid every game I've played is. Picking the hb just puts you at a disadvantage right off the bat

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
PSGames said:
Ok I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not but hey it's worth a shot. I have a Gold XBL account and when I add a guest (which has my gamertag plus 1 beside it) for some reason it only lets me select Private Multiplayer matches (just friends) or local multiplayer modes. It won't let me access Public online modes. Do you have to have two gold accounts in-order to do split-screen online multiplayer? That would be retarded if true so I hope I'm just doing something wrong.

You need a xboxlive gold account in order to play public matches.

Damn you guys must suck at this game or something. The hammerburst is awesome. Shoot them when they're running up to you with the chainsaw. Can't? Roll the fuck back and run away. Get your team to shoot at them! You gotta stop playing this like Gears 1.

Ran into a glitch I haven't seen before in matchmaking tonight, apparently you can use basically any weapon with the sheild, our team got owned twice by a guy rocking a shotty/sheild combo. Then I figured out how to do it and we turned the tables on them.
This glitch is really easy and will be all over matchmaking before too long, if I could figure it out in one round LOTS of others will also....

daw840

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Ran into a glitch I haven't seen before in matchmaking tonight, apparently you can use basically any weapon with the sheild, our team got owned twice by a guy rocking a shotty/sheild combo. Then I figured out how to do it and we turned the tables on them.
This glitch is really easy and will be all over matchmaking before too long, if I could figure it out in one round LOTS of others will also....

Oh c'mon, you have to tell us now.

jdub03 said:
I want those bad. If only I had 200 to waste on some head phones. Those things seem like there absolutely amazing.

200 is so steep but damn it looks nice. It would be worth it if it worked with the ps3 as well.

Frester

Papercuts said:
wtfffffff

I'm on Act 3 on Insane and just blew up the tower in the tank, but when I got to the cave there was NOWHERE to go, just walls and stuff. Reavers were flying around and one guy was still alive, but do you need to kill every single person to open a path in the cave for some reason? We were driving around for like 20 minutes and got nowhere so we just stopped there, which sucks. Is this a glitch or am I missing something? The guy I was playing with saw fire on the back of the tank even though it was fixed, it seems like that level in general is kinda wonky, but I dunno.

This is happening to me too. Anyone know anything about this?

Edit to add that when I hit LB both the objective to destroy the Locust outpost and search the cave are there, when the outpost one should get removed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Frester said:
This is happening to me too. Anyone know anything about this?

Edit to add that when I hit LB both the objective to destroy the Locust outpost and search the cave are there, when the outpost one should get removed.

I beat the part now, but sadly had to restart the whole chapter to get it to work correctly. I'd try that, I'm not sure what went wrong with it though.

Once I went into the caves the second time destroying the locust outpost crossed out and everyone started talking, the first time both objectives stayed and there was no talking at all.

Flunkie

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
200 is so steep but damn it looks nice. It would be worth it if it worked with the ps3 as well.
That's what I was thinking. I'm wanting to buy some surround sound gaming headphones, but I want it to work with everything. PS3, 360, and PC.

Flunkie said:
That's what I was thinking. I'm wanting to buy some surround sound gaming headphones, but I want it to work with everything. PS3, 360, and PC.

Then why not get some that hook up straight to your TV/Home Theatre unit? Or are you talking about something with a mic for MP too?

Flunkie

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Then why not get some that hook up straight to your TV/Home Theatre unit? Or are you talking about something with a mic for MP too?
I'd want the integrated mic, too. I play a lot of multiplayer games, so that'd be essential.

By the way, it didn't take me five minutes to figure out how to do that glitch just now. It's actually kind of cool, but really cheap.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Aww fuck!! I was on wave 24 on Avalanche and we were doing pretty good, then I got disconnected from Xbox Live, this has been happening all weekend. :(

Top Bottom