• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Sailor

Does anyone wanna befriend me on Xbox Live? I already added Aladuf, but would like to be part of these nightly games you guys are having :(

I'm tired of waiting forever to find a match..
My GT is Nice Krispies, so just add me and I'll accept the request :D

Flunkie said:
I'd want the integrated mic, too. I play a lot of multiplayer games, so that'd be essential.

By the way, it didn't take me five minutes to figure out how to do that glitch just now. It's actually kind of cool, but really cheap.

I said it was easy. I'll only pull it out in MP if the other team does it first, just like the crab walk in Gears 1. I've seen the chainsaw glitch a few times, but no from anyone who did it on purpose. If that gets figured out it'll be bad as over powered as the saw is already...

After reading some of the comments here on GAF, I can say that I am now a witness to the bugs that plague the boss of Act III during co-op. The camera didn't work for most of the fight. While aiming, I would see all of Marcus' body. According to 'duf, when I would chainsaw I would start about 10 feet in the air and swoop down during the animation. It felt like a laggy Gears 1 match at one point. When we finally finished it, 'duf was about 30 feet in the air and rolling over and over in the same place. Sure it's funny but damn it was a little frustrating at the time.

Also, that part where you have to shoot the tower down with the Centaur was fucking frustrating. It was pretty much trial and error because there was no solid way to get past it without being extremely lucky.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ThirdEngine said:
Also, that part where you have to shoot the tower down with the Centaur was fucking frustrating. It was pretty much trial and error because there was no solid way to get past it without being extremely lucky.

I had to do it twice(because of a glitch that forced me to restart the chapter) and did fine once I read how people did it here. Whoever is driving the tank should go in reverse and the moment they say to take out the tower boost the opposite direction to recover while inching forward so the other person can shoot the tower down.

Just busted on these bitches' tits on Insane. Errr....just beat it on insane.
Too much rap music, my apologies.

It wasn't too bad except a couple of specific sections which made me want to kill myself.

IE: In Act 4
When you split up with Cole before you enter the Locust Palace to meetup with the Queen/Skorge
friggin Cole would run ahead and get downed so I'd have to save him or he'd bleed out which usually meant a hot, fully charge torque bow arrow in my head.

This happened approximately 15 times. Ugh.

Shoogoo

Buckethead said:
Just busted on these bitches' tits on Insane. Errr....just beat it on insane.
Too much rap music, my apologies.

It wasn't too bad except a couple of specific sections which made me want to kill myself.

IE: In Act 4
When you split up with Cole before you enter the Locust Palace to meetup with the Queen/Skorge
friggin Cole would run ahead and get downed so I'd have to save him or he'd bleed out which usually meant a hot, fully charge torque bow arrow in my head.

This happened approximately 15 times. Ugh.

you mean when
you split up Marcus/Cole on one hall and Dom and Braid take the other one? It's funny I played that part with my girlfriend and on our side it was Braid that was going solo rambo, but Cole was right next to me

What I really thought would drive me mad was
the fight against Skorge, such a pain in insane. I tried about 20 times I guess

Shoogoo said:
you mean when
you split up Marcus/Cole on one hall and Dom and Braid take the other one? It's funny I played that part with my girlfriend and on our side it was Braid that was going solo rambo, but Cole was right next to me

What I really thought would drive me mad was
the fight against Skorge, such a pain in insane. I tried about 20 times I guess

Yes. That part.

A couple parts in Act 5 were also infuriating. There were some crazy glitches (me dying as the result of bullets through walls, etc). Also the part with the
Crapload of guys, Kantus, Grinders, Bloodmounts
. But the main section that irked me was the one in Act 4.

chriskun

Im pleased with the single player and horde modes in this game but the multi-player is completely broken. I don't understand how they could have made it worse than the first one but they succeeded. It feels like every gun has been nerfed except for the chainsaw and the power weapons. Lancer, Hammerbust, and Shotgun are completely useless. I'll unload a full clip into a guy as hes picking up a weapon and he won't be downed. Also, the new function of the smoke grenades is completely fucked. I don't know whos idea at Epic this shit was, but completely taking control out of the players hands is just irritating. At least let me mash a button to get up quicker, fuck!!! And then on top of all this it takes fucking 15 min half the time to get into a match. Maybe its just due to a bad connection/shit xbl issues, but I'm completely disappointed.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Um, Epic, I love the new map and all, but, uh, can you get your shit together before working on new stuff?

Brakara

RSTEIN said:
Um, Epic, I love the new map and all, but, uh, can you get your shit together before working on new stuff?

Well, it's not like the map designers can be put on network code assignment. But I can see there be ten shitloads of angry Gears fans if they put up some DLC pack before a patch.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
jdub03 said:
I want those bad. If only I had 200 to waste on some head phones. Those things seem like there absolutely amazing.
From the IGN review of them there is something to be desired.

That being said, I just got my Tritton AXPRO headset last week and they are everything I hoped for. They are wired, but the 5.1 is incredible and it works with both the 360 and the PS3 (and computer) through optical and/or analog 5.1 cables.

Detachable mic, inline volume, independent speaker volume, voice volume control. Dolby Digital certified.

Pure sex.

Biggest downside to them is that it takes 2 power cords: 1 for the headset and 1 for the audio processing unit. There are a plethora of cables in general, but luckily once it's hooked up you can't even tell. I have my optical cables running through my AV selector so it's as easy as pressing a button on my selector to switch between 360 and PS3.

Highly recommend them to anyone serious about quality gaming audio.

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA611.htm

kbear

i need some help i just woke up and am playing like shit, im in act 2 hardcore. add me and join my game if you want, hippo smash

jdub03

How well does the surround sound work in headphones like these. ?Ive never really tried one. If I can find a decent pair that cost less then a full on surround sound system I might pick some up.

Z_Y

Flunkie said:
I'd want the integrated mic, too. I play a lot of multiplayer games, so that'd be essential.

By the way, it didn't take me five minutes to figure out how to do that glitch just now. It's actually kind of cool, but really cheap.

You can always use the ghetto method of putting the 360 headset around your neck with the mic close to your mouth and using whatever stereo headset you want. Just go into the dash and set the chat output to speakers rather than the headset.

It looks ridiculous but save the $200 for a cool pair of pants and you are golden.

chriskun said:
Im pleased with the single player and horde modes in this game but the multi-player is completely broken. I don't understand how they could have made it worse than the first one but they succeeded. It feels like every gun has been nerfed except for the chainsaw and the power weapons. Lancer, Hammerbust, and Shotgun are completely useless. I'll unload a full clip into a guy as hes picking up a weapon and he won't be downed. Also, the new function of the smoke grenades is completely fucked. I don't know whos idea at Epic this shit was, but completely taking control out of the players hands is just irritating. At least let me mash a button to get up quicker, fuck!!! And then on top of all this it takes fucking 15 min half the time to get into a match. Maybe its just due to a bad connection/shit xbl issues, but I'm completely disappointed.
Were you a shotgun rusher in Gears 1? Every time I hear someone say that Gears 2 multiplayer is broken, they are always the people who did nothing but whore the shotgun in Gears 1.

I personally find Gears 2 to be far superior. The smoke grenade knockdown actually make smokes useful, rather than a crappy useless grenade. I tend to get a lot of downs with the lancer, not sure what your problem is here, perhaps lag? I haven't really used Hammerburst to have an opinion on it. Finally, if you actually feel the shotgun is useless, then I'd say you're lagging or you just can't get over a boring Gears 1 play style.

RSTEIN

Brakara said:
Well, it's not like the map designers can be put on network code assignment. But I can see there be ten shitloads of angry Gears fans if they put up some DLC pack before a patch.

Yeah, and the maps have probably been in development for a while. I'm just saying, before Epic even thinks about putting some DLC maps on the marketplace, they better make sure that a solution is introduced to the current matchmaking nightmare.

soldat7

Just when I thought the Gears/U3 engine might not be able to match up to something like Killzone 2, I get to Act IV. Holy crap at these graphics (it still might not match up but wow).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
soldat7 said:
Just when I thought the Gears/U3 engine might not be able to match up to something like Killzone 2, I get to Act IV. Holy crap at these graphics (it still might not match up but wow).
What exactly are you finding impressive with Act IV? I thought a lot of textures lost their luster and became somewhat muddy overall. The background design was neat (the "castle"), but the immediate environment didn't really impress me all that much. Act V, however, is quite lovely.

I still think my favorite visual moment in Gears 2 has to be portions of Act III. The rainy exterior was just fantastic. They improved greatly on the rain effect and delivered some beautiful architecture to go along with it. Some of the lab interiors were just fantastic as well. The cylinders containing the Sires were incredible and really gave me a "concept art" vibe.

Chinner

Banned
People who claim that the shotgun is now "useless" must be pretty shit at using it. Its still my primary weapon in mutiplayer and I have gotten loads of kills with it. Infact, I'm probably better with the Gears 2 shotgun than I am with the Gears 1 shotgun!

soldat7

dark10x said:
What exactly are you finding impressive with Act IV? I thought a lot of textures lost their luster and became somewhat muddy overall. The background design was neat (the "castle"), but the immediate environment didn't really impress me all that much. Act V, however, is quite lovely.

I still think my favorite visual moment in Gears 2 has to be portions of Act III. The rainy exterior was just fantastic. They improved greatly on the rain effect and delivered some beautiful architecture to go along with it. Some of the lab interiors were just fantastic as well. The cylinders containing the Sires were incredible and really gave me a "concept art" vibe.

Act III was beautiful to be sure but Act IV for me wins simply due to the art design. I get a serious Giger vibe and I haven't noticed anything being really muddy on the level except maybe some very distant textures. Can't wait for Act V...almost there...

Tieno

dark10x said:

The inside of the plant, where all those mutants are in the tubes is the most impressive stuff I've ever seen in a console game, everything overgrown. I too felt like walking inside concept art. Act 3 also has some really good firefights and cover platforming.

Chinner said:
People who claim that the shotgun is now "useless" must be pretty shit at using it. Its still my primary weapon in mutiplayer and I have gotten loads of kills with it. Infact, I'm probably better with the Gears 2 shotgun than I am with the Gears 1 shotgun!
Yup. If you use the Gears 2 shotgun properly, it works, you just can't use it like in the first anymore.

Hmm, I guess I should really start on the campaign. I only played multi this weekend. I find that with most shooters nowadays, the single-player is almost an afterthought for me.

Tieno

Hellraizer said:
Yup. If you use the Gears 2 shotgun properly, it works, you just can't use it like in the first anymore.
Can you elaborate? How did you use it in Gears 1 vs Gears 2? Tips?

Oh, and in regards to the chainsaw being overpowered, I guess I could see that, but it's just so goddamn hilarious. I didn't play the first one though, so sawing guys in half is new to me.

Chinner said:
co-signed.

I'm shit at MP but 90% of my kills are a result of two-piecing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tieno said:
The inside of the plant, where all those mutants are in the tubes is the most impressive stuff I've ever seen in a console game, everything overgrown. It was like walking inside concept art. Act 3 also has some really good firefights and cover platforming.
Yeah, that was absolutely fantastic. That whole area was quite a sight to behold and the atmosphere was killer. Act 3 was one of my favorite acts to be sure. The only thing I didn't like was the actual look of the razor hail. :p After that beautiful rain storm, it looked a bit odd. The fire fights surrounding it, however, were awesome.

Tieno said:
Can you elaborate? How did you use it in Gears 1 vs Gears 2? Tips?
Simple. I overused it in Gears 1 :D

In Gears 1 you just pick the shotty as soon as the round starts, run around like on roids (more than the gears take anyway) and speed and shoot like crazy, preferably straight out of the hip - deadly and swift at the same time, sometimes you just take out 2-3 enemies all by yourself like you're playing campaign on casual. This doesn't work anymore here. You just can't run straight into a enemy like in the first. The bullets will slow you down, you will most definitely die. The bullet splatter is also completely different with the new gun. It appears to me that shooting out of the hip is completely worthless. I never did any significant damage while running + shooting, while this kind of "tactic" was pretty much lethal in the first if you know how to use it.

Also, lots of the randomness of the bullets is gone. While the first Shotty did random damage intentionally (was stated in the manual) this time around it does seem to be constant most of the time. And let's not forget that you can't shoot that fast anymore, too.

I think there is a link somewhere here in the thread to another forum posting where someone analyzed the new bullet splatter of the shotty, and it is definitely completely different than the first.

How I use it now:

- only in defensive positions
- I pretty much aim all the time (compared to the first where I almost never aim and just shoot out of the hip)
- I stay in cover while using it (again, completely opposite of how I used it in the first)

I have to forget pretty much everything about the shotgun what I knew from the first game, and then it works good ;)

Tieno

Thanks!

I only have gears since friday, so I haven't had a chance to play all the maps, but did Epic inorporate those cover switches they used in the 4th act? You stand on it and out comes to cover. It felt a bit gamey in the context of the campaign, but it'd like to see it in an MP map. Also found the rockworm to be underused, would have liked to see that rockworm cover idea to be expanded upon. Is that also in an MP map? That'd be kinda neat too (though it'd might be advisable to cut the fruit shooting mechanic for MP maps and just have a few worms crawling around)

alterno69

Banned
Damn i had an 8 hour session yesterday playing horde with 2 other guys at my place and the other 2 trough Live, we played the 50 waves on Mansion, it was awesome but i'm fucking tired today lol.

I'm now at 1900 kills and closer to the 2.0 achievement :lol

Tieno said:
Thanks!

I only have gears since friday, so I haven't had a chance to play all the maps, but did Epic inorporate those cover switches they used in the 4th act? You stand on it and out comes to cover. It felt a bit gamey in the context of the campaign, but it'd like to see it in an MP map. Also found the rockworm to be underused, would have liked to see that rockworm cover idea to be expanded upon. Is that also in an MP map? That'd be kinda neat too (though it'd might be advisable to cut the fruit shooting mechanic for MP maps and just have a few worms crawling around)

They're used on the Ruins map. But that's it as far as I know.

Tieno said:
Thanks!

Yes, there's at least one MP map with similar auto cover like in the campaign, it pop's up as soon as you are near it.

Z_Y said:
You can always use the ghetto method of putting the 360 headset around your neck with the mic close to your mouth and using whatever stereo headset you want. Just go into the dash and set the chat output to speakers rather than the headset.

It looks ridiculous but save the $200 for a cool pair of pants and you are golden.

You brilliant bastard! I never thought of that awesome!

Another quick sound question if I have a 7.1 System should I set the audio output to be something other
than Dolby 5.1 or can the 360 only do 5.1?

RSTEIN

I'll weigh in on the shotgun debate: I absolutely fuckin love what they've done. I couldn't compete with most shotgun guys in Gears 1. They were bouncin off walls, rolling, blind firing... I just couldn't keep up with people who mastered the system of two piecing/blind firing/wall bouncing. The whole thing became a huge joke. Sure, you're playing within the rules, so to speak, but the game was never designed around these crazy shotgun battles... hence the overhaul in Gears 2.

With Gears 2 I feel the whole playing field has been reset. I now win most of my shotgun encounters because it comes down to cover and aiming ability. Whoever can aim their shotgun the best wins. There's no bouncing off walls like idiots. Also, there's a HUGE incentive AGAINST running in with a shotgun. If you have a guy with a shotgun walking up to you (say, 20 yards out) you can down him with the lancer easily with well placed shots to the knees. You can't roll up and shoot anymore. Also, proximity mines make you think twice about running in guns blazing :D

Facism

Chinner said:

I agree. You have to aim the shotty now, seems heavily gimped in blindfire and hipfire. Not a bad thing. Lots of 1 hit gibbage still possible.

Top Bottom