• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

pete914

I finished campaign last night. Great game- production values are outstanding, better character development than the first, good variation of gameplay, just a great overall gaming experience. I really like the pacing of the GOW games- you really have just a few objectives in the game, they just take a while (multiple acts) to complete.

I did think it was interesting how there were some Halo 2-esque events and story elements. After playing Resistance: Combat Evolved where damn near the entire story and enemies were copied/pasted straight from Halo, I find myself wondering- is Halo that influential, or is it just that cliche? I which way the GAF hivemind will go on that one, but I think it is an interesting discussion.

Anyways, GOW2- great experience. Still a few glitches here and there. I know some people complained about the large groups of enemies only being set pieces for semi-scripted events, but I didn't mind. Honestly, you would be dead instantly with 30+ drones shooting at you in your "normal form" and it wouldn't really be GOW stop'n'pop gameplay.

Off to Horde and Multiplayer...

Chinner

Banned
The shotgun in G2 however much I 'love' it at moment does have a bug that cripples its abillity. If you shoot from the hip all the shots hit the ground, sometimes they'll hit the ground right in front you you while others will go alot further but if you switch to aiming they'll straight onwards. If they fixed that then hip firing will become a little bit more managable.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Facism said:
I agree. You have to aim the shotty now, seems heavily gimped in blindfire and hipfire. Not a bad thing. Lots of 1 hit gibbage still possible.

Yep. I'm just using the hammerburst and shottie now. The HB is pretty good at stopping chainsawers when they're revving and then a quick melee gets their cheap asses down.

dankir

Anybody here not even wanting to play MP matches? I'm fucking in love with Horde. I've only played 1 mp match so far. 900 kills so far, only 4 from a single mp match lol.

dankir said:
Anybody here not even wanting to play MP matches? I'm fucking in love with Horde. I've only played 1 mp match so far. 900 kills so far, only 4 from a single mp match lol.
Horde is great and the atmosphere tends to be better than competitive multi if you're playing with random people.

mYm|17|

dankir said:

pretty much the same here. I've only played Horde with GAFers and it's really fun

Sectus

Is it just me or does close encounters when playing multiplayer seem very random? Sometimes I gib an enemy with one shotgun shot, other times I hit him 3 times at the same range and nothing happens. Sometimes I melee an enemy 3 times and nothing seem to happen. Chainsawing seems to be the thing you can rely on, although that has limited use.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
nastynate409 said:
Were you a shotgun rusher in Gears 1? Every time I hear someone say that Gears 2 multiplayer is broken, they are always the people who did nothing but whore the shotgun in Gears 1.

I personally find Gears 2 to be far superior. The smoke grenade knockdown actually make smokes useful, rather than a crappy useless grenade. I tend to get a lot of downs with the lancer, not sure what your problem is here, perhaps lag? I haven't really used Hammerburst to have an opinion on it. Finally, if you actually feel the shotgun is useless, then I'd say you're lagging or you just can't get over a boring Gears 1 play style.

what modes/maps are you playing? the smokes ruin the game, there is no counter for it. When every bloody encounter is the same it becomes horrible.

in the old game, there were loads of ways to beat a shotgun rusher or even a frag tagger, the two biggest complaints right?

but with a smoke grenade, its stun or be stunned. or retreat, or back away or whatever. it sucks. if they were thing syou had to pick up, fine, but the fact everyone starts with one breaks the gunplay.

the only time it isnt an issue is when you play with people who don't do it, but in every ranked match I have played where people feel the need to win by any means necessary, its rush to weapon, throw smoke, kill you, then grab weapon. and the only counter is to do the same and hope you do it better.

do correct me if I'm wrong.

unomas

Banned
kaizoku said:
what modes/maps are you playing? the smokes ruin the game, there is no counter for it. When every bloody encounter is the same it becomes horrible.

in the old game, there were loads of ways to beat a shotgun rusher or even a frag tagger, the two biggest complaints right?

but with a smoke grenade, its stun or be stunned. or retreat, or back away or whatever. it sucks. if they were thing syou had to pick up, fine, but the fact everyone starts with one breaks the gunplay.

the only time it isnt an issue is when you play with people who don't do it, but in every ranked match I have played where people feel the need to win by any means necessary, its rush to weapon, throw smoke, kill you, then grab weapon. and the only counter is to do the same and hope you do it better.

do correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much, this game has turned into smokes, nade mines, and one hit kill power weapons that take very little skill to use. The shotty in the original actually took skill to use, firing from the hip wasn't lucky it was calculated. If anyone was getting killed by a shotty rusher in the first game clearly they weren't watching their back or didn't know how to use a lancer. No announcement yet of a patch, but hopefully they do something soon.

kaizoku said:
Wasn't much different with Gears 1. Everyone runs to the same points - nades, boomshot, longshot...except in the first 90% were rushing with the shotty straight ahead to the point of interest. What I see now in Gears 2 is more variety in the "weapon of choice" department.

But hey, that's how Gears is built, right? You start at one side and you meet up at the middle of the map. But like I said, instead of that 90% of the players meet up to a massive shotty gang-bang, there is much more variety in Gears 2. It is more stop-and-pop now.

unomas

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Wasn't much different with Gears 1. Everyone runs to the same points - nades, boomshot, longshot...except in the first 90% were rushing with the shotty straight ahead to the point of interest. What I see now in Gears 2 is more variety in the "weapon of choice" department.

But hey, that's how Gears is built, right? You start at one side and you meet up at the middle of the map. But like I said, instead of that 90% of the players meet up to a massive shotty gang-bang, there is much more variety in Gears 2. It is more stop-and-pop now.

So now it's grab a power weapon or be killed. Forget flanking and popping people in the back because one shotgun blast probably won't kill them anyway. If strategy consists of grabbing a power weapon first count me out.

unomas said:
So now it's grab a power weapon or be killed. Forget flanking and popping people in the back because one shotgun blast probably won't kill them anyway.
It always was "grab a power weapon or be killed", after they patched the first game the boomshot was the main point of interest on every map it existed, at least in almost all games I have played for the last months.

unomas

Banned
Hellraizer said:
It always was "grab a power weapon or be killed", after they patched the first game the boomshot was the main point of interest on every map it existed, at least in almost all games I have played for the last months.

Not true, you didn't have to grab a power weapon all the time if you started with a decent weapon to begin with (shotgun). You could go for the power weapon, but you weren't screwed if you didn't have one. Now power weapons are everywhere on each map, and you need one if you want to stay competitive or you have to camp with nades. Too bad you don't spawn in this game with a weapon worth a damn besides the chainsaw or smokes. Both cheap weapons.

Esch

Banned
Man this game looks awesome. I have a question though:... Does the pacing/controls feel any different, and are the grenades the same? I remembered feeling weird about how Marcus controlled(a little too slow for how much run and gun there is in the game, and the melee system).

Tieno

Horde is very draining. So much going on, but very satisfying when you're playing with people who look after you and actually make it a priority to revive you. Sometimes I'm astounded we survived some of the chaotic battles (and usually it's due to reviving). Reminds me of Geometry Wars in a way (well, some maps), constantly on your guard, shooting, reviving, maneuvering around, always going to the next target.

EschatonDX said:
Man this game looks awesome. I have a question though:... Does the pacing/controls feel any different, and are the grenades the same? I remembered feeling weird about how Marcus controlled(a little too slow for how much run and gun there is in the game, and the melee system).
In general, movement and melee systems are similar but refined.

If you just finish some Gears1 action and play Gears2 immediately afterward the changes seem more dramatic.

Shoogoo

NOES my 360 died on me *sadface*

Just when I planned to play horde the whole friggin night, and right before nxe and l4d.

Goddammit!

Guess I'll have to turn on the wii, if that thing still works..

Chinner

Banned
unomas said:
Not true, you didn't have to grab a power weapon all the time if you started with a decent weapon to begin with (shotgun). You could go for the power weapon, but you weren't screwed if you didn't have one. Now power weapons are everywhere on each map, and you need one if you want to stay competitive or you have to camp with nades. Too bad you don't spawn in this game with a weapon worth a damn besides the chainsaw or smokes. Both cheap weapons.
Yeah. I don't really agree with this. This post reads like a very dramatic attempt at fear mongering, no offense.

ghostmind

dankir said:

Only multi I've touched is Horde with my buddies. No reason for anything else.

Would anyone else buy "Reverse Horde" DLC?
5 Locusts vs COG Army?
It makes no sense in the mythology but I'd totally play it.
Anthony clones as Drone class, Ben as Drone Snipers, JACK robots as Ticker's or Wretches, Cole clones as Boomers/Mulchers,
Dom riding Marcus as a Bloodmount
Anya clones as Kantuses...
:lol

Also, I wish there were Berserkers in Horde. They'd only be killed via mortar fire or Hammer of Dawn...
That would be awesome.

Sectus

I personally don't get how so many people complain about the shotgun being nerfed and useless... and I see 99% of people use it ingame for close encounters.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
_dementia said:
5 Locusts vs COG Army?
Anthony clones as Drone class, Ben as Drone Snipers, JACK robots as Ticker's or Wretches, Cole clones as Boomers/Mulchers,

:lol at the new cog bloodmount.

But yeah I'd buy it, in a heartbeat

mYm|17|

anybody else think that 5 is just enough for Horde?

We had a GAF Horde going on saturday and 1 guy came in just a sec after the 5th person came in, we kinda felt bad that we had to kick the extra player out

bumpkin

So I've been saying since I started playing Gears 2 online I've had a pretty good time and haven't encountered any true a-holes. There were the occasional matches where I encountered players that would camp with the torque bow or longshot in a hard to reach/find place, but all in all, play has been enjoyable and fair. I finally broke that streak in a match I played Saturday night.

A match I was playing in, by some hiccup in matchmaking, had me on a team of 3 versus a full team of 5. Oddly enough, most of the other players had some suffix on their Gamertags; "CBK." Well after the match was over -- my team got utterly wrecked -- I saw that someone had sent me a message on XBL; it was from one of the guys on the other team. The message said, and I quote, "pussy." That was it. Just an insult. Now mind you, I hadn't spoken a word the whole match despite having my mic on and simply played it out as best I could. Yet for some reason this asshole felt the need to insult me.

I ended up filing a complaint against him, though who knows if that really does anything. But chances are the guy does it all the time to people he plays, especially since I did nothing to warrant it. For anyone wondering or who may have received some lovely snippet of insight from a random person they played, his Gamertag was "Black Mafia CBK."

...and if he happens to be here on NEOGAF and reading this, piss off. Beating a team that is down two people is like being the smartest kid with Down Syndrome. :lol

h3ro

mYm|17| said:
anybody else think that 5 is just enough for Horde?

We had a GAF Horde going on saturday and 1 guy came in just a sec after the 5th person came in, we kinda felt bad that we had to kick the extra player out

Yeah... that sucked... Sorry MikeHaggar!

Raide

_dementia said:
5 Locusts vs COG Army?

Also, I wish there were Berserkers in Horde. They'd only be killed via mortar fire or Hammer of Dawn...
That would be awesome.

A complete reversal of Horde would be amazing. Actually, being able to play Kantus and actually resurrect downed units too. (Medic Class Go!) :D

Playing as a Reaver Pilot and having a friend in the back would be amazing. :lol

Anyone smell Battlefield: Gears of War Edition?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hellraizer said:

you clearly ignored my last post addressing this very issue. I completely disagree.

Yes the battle field has bottlenecks, I think they're awesome and the fact Gears is all about teams coming from opposite directions and meeting in the middle is what makes it so tactical and so intense. Games like COD4 where you and your team mates respawn constantly, are always seperated and enemies could be coming from any direction is such a different play style, that it becomes rush and twitch, very little real strategy involved.

People rush to the weapons shotguns blazing? Only sometimes with some teams, true if a whole team does this its really difficult to stop, but thats a strength of teamwork. You either rush in as well and see who wins or you concede the weapon - which wasn't THAT much of a big deal in Gears 1. You could use the environment to ambush your enemy with a shotgun or chainsaw. and if a team did this, they usually sacrifice the other weapons lying around the map. and almost always you could pick up some frags and throw it in their direction. If there were no frags nearby, it would be because the weapon spot was so open, rushing towards it would mean almost certain death.

The problem in gears 2 is the game is usually over by the time the weapons are picked up because people don't risk life and limb trying to get the weapon, they kill the opponent first using grenades. The mad dash to grab the sniper while your team mates cover you is no more.

I must've played thousands of Gears 1 matches and can barely remember any incident where it was rush to weapon with shotgun blazing and thats it. In fact I'm pretty sure this would lead to death when against a decent team. Most of the time there would be a standoff around the weapon, thats when flankers, or mistakes came into play, thats when you had to bring out the strategy or take a gamble to gain the upperhand. I haven't had a moment like this in gears 2 yet.

I can reel off so many memorable moments around the gears 1 weapons and I can't even imagine that happening now with the smoke grenades.

Private matches with grenades off is the future.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Evonus said:
Seriously. Every fucking time. We get it. You don't like caves.

Jesus.
What the hell? Even when I post positive impressions, you focus on the f*cking caves comment? I'm not complaining about them! Jesus.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Just so yall know Blockbuster is giving $25 trade in credit on Gears 1. I couldn't freakin believe it when I traded it in last friday.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
dark10x said:
What the hell? Even when I post positive impressions, you focus on the f*cking caves comment? I'm not complaining about them! Jesus.

FUCK THERE YOU GO AGAIN! WILL IT EVER STOP???

pr0cs

Raide said:
A complete reversal of Horde would be amazing. Actually, being able to play Kantus and actually resurrect downed units too. (Medic Class Go!) :D

Playing as a Reaver Pilot and having a friend in the back would be amazing. :lol

Anyone smell Battlefield: Gears of War Edition?
Do this as DLC Epic, it would be really cool to play as a shield mauler or kantus.

You know, I've always wondered why they don't do more maps with both teams having access to a power weapon, like the sniper on Canals, or River. I've always found that (deathmatch) matches are decided by the fighting over the power weapons, not by them. Most maps give teams access to something like a Gorgon pistol .... like really, it's not worth slowing down to pick it up. You're needed at the center of the map to fight over the Boomshot, Mortar, Mulcher, grenades etc.

I'd love to see how a map plays out with no power weapon in the center.

Although maybe since third person cover lends itself to a defensive style, maybe all the weapons are in the center to stop people from camping it out.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Before I say this, plz don't give me any bullshit about games and stories. I'm just going to ignore it. That being said...why in the fuck does the ending suck as much as it does.

>____________________________<

Some news Gear heads, just for you gaffers!

Don't know if this has been said or discovered already but I figured out that you can throw a grenade while simultaneously flipping/dodging.

Its a very good tactic that I have used a ton since discovering it. I would youtube it but im not that nerdy. Anyway timing isnt a big issue. But it is completely possible to throw the grenade without even doing an animation for it.

If done perfectly your character dodges and a grenade just comes flying out of nowhere.

How to do it? Easy just press RT + A and the direction you wanna flip.

vhfive

Oldschoolgamer said:
Before I say this, plz don't give me any bullshit about games and stories. I'm just going to ignore it. That being said...why in the fuck does the ending suck as much as it does.

>____________________________<

I completely agree what a let down
if they were going to make it that lame it should have been in a cutscene

unomas

Banned
Chinner said:
Yeah. I don't really agree with this. This post reads like a very dramatic attempt at fear mongering, no offense.

Well changes are coming thats for sure, and my k/d ratio online is good so it's not that I can't adjust and be good at this game. I'm at a 1/1 kd ratio online in Gears 2 without even using the power weapons, I don't even bother trying to rush to pick them up for the most part. To me the first Gears was more fun online because you could do very well without picking up power weapons if you wanted to. But since firing from the hip makes bullets hit the ground with the shotty in gears 2 I'd say the weapon is broken.

Just finished the game, holy shit, holy shit, truly epic stuff. What a ride this game was. simply amazing. Besides MGS4 and Fable 2 my GOTY for this year. Act 4 and 5 really show that UE3 potential and the power of the 360 are not done yet. Friggin awesome.

_dementia said:
5 Locusts vs COG Army?

That would be awesome.
It sounds good in theory but if they put one Cole Train in each 10th wave we would never get past the 10th one...

Z_Y

BruceLeeRoy said:
You brilliant bastard! I never thought of that awesome!

Another quick sound question if I have a 7.1 System should I set the audio output to be something other
than Dolby 5.1 or can the 360 only do 5.1?

The 360 can only output 5.1 over the TOSlink.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
I've not finished the game yet, and though I'm mostly impressed, I have one plot-related note (yeah, I know, I know) and one gripe about the graphics (aside from the odd low-res texture that will stick out from time to time).

Plot related:
I really hated how they handled the Dom/Maria plotline. I did not feel like Dom euthanizing her was a terribly compelling or mature way to resolve it. I *totally* get that Gears is not a product created to tell a sophisticated story with room for a real range of emotions. That being said, I feel like Epic took an easy road out of that story element. I'm sure there are a million gameplay-breaking reasons not to do this, but I feel like having Dom bring her along, Ico-style, would've been more satisfying. Even if it meant he still lost her somehow in the end --- whether he literally were to lose her, or simply lose her as a person being able to interact with the rest of the world from the trauma --- I think that would've had more impact than putting a gun to her head, and then having Dom wisecracking 5 minutes later.

Graphics-related:
Did anyone else look up at the skybox when they
descended to the Queen's palace
? WTF is that?
The upper levels of the palace are just flat
, and there is just big circle in the center of the skybox. That seemed like a pretty awful design decision, considering it appeared that they were looking to emphasize the verticality of the set piece.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Hellraizer said:
Just finished the game, holy shit, holy shit, truly epic stuff.

Pretty much how I feel. I just made it inside the
worm
. Amazing stuff.

Also, is it me, or does Hardcore difficulty seem much, much easier than in Gears 1??

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Prine, Denog are you guys ready to take on Horde again?

It's like the old 360 launch crew/PD zero group is back together, with less jetpacks but 100% more flamethrower.

I'm getting near the end of chapter 4
the grind lifts are starting to join me for the assault on the queens palace

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
So... nobody is finding matchmaking better? Just me?
last night, matchmaking ran pretty smooth for me. I remember hearing somewhere that the system has to create a database with information on who can host, who can't, etc. Once it gets all of that information it should run more efficiently.

There seems to be less of my friends getting on now since the newness is starting to wear off. I plan on planning Gears 2 religously well into next year and since matchmaking works better with larger groups feel free to add me if anyone wants. GT is REV 09. type "from GAF" in the request so i know that you aren't just a random player.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
REV 09 said:
last night, matchmaking ran pretty smooth for me. I remember hearing somewhere that the system has to create a database with information on who can host, who can't, etc. Once it gets all of that information it should run more efficiently.

Is that why it says "updating network settings" after each match?

unomas said:

I was talking to a buddy of mine and he feels like while the shotgun is an improvement, epic was missing the point on how to make the matches more tactical. Because Gears 1 and 2 are essentially (in the matches ive been in for the most part) rushes to the power weapons in the middle, where in gears 1, it was a shotgun duels and gears 2, its chainsaw and lancer duels when you get there. He feels like gears should have a mode where you can get a certain amount of power weapons before the match starts. (how these power weapons would be dolled out I dont know, but there would be a limit, maybe each person gets a different weapon) This way the pace of the match slows down as each team manuevers through cover more slowly knowing that both has evenly matched weapondry.

At least a mode like this would be interesting... what do you guys think?

also a personal question, when you have a hammerburst and the other guy is revving the chainsaw, what is a good tactic since melee doesnt nothing but delay the inevitable now...

JimtotheHum said:
also a personal question, when you have a hammerburst and the other guy is revving the chainsaw, what is a good tactic since melee doesnt nothing but delay the inevitable now...
melee + 3 or 4 rapid (blindfire) shots seems to work.

JimtotheHum said:
I was talking to a buddy of mine and he feels like while the shotgun is an improvement, epic was missing the point on how to make the matches more tactical. Because Gears 1 and 2 are essentially (in the matches ive been in for the most part) rushes to the power weapons in the middle, where in gears 1, it was a shotgun duels and gears 2, its chainsaw and lancer duels when you get there. He feels like gears should have a mode where you can get a certain amount of power weapons before the match starts. (how these power weapons would be dolled out I dont know, but there would be a limit, maybe each person gets a different weapon) This way the pace of the match slows down as each team manuevers through cover more slowly knowing that both has evenly matched weapondry.

At least a mode like this would be interesting... what do you guys think?

I would like to see it.

In theory in a private match one could make it so those shitty pistols spawn in the middle, while the weapons close to the spawn are boomshots or something.

Top Bottom