• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

bimet

There are people playing Gears of War 1 on my friends list because they weren't satisfied with the changes to the series. I don't know whether to laugh or feel embarrassed for them (these guys are around 40-50 years old and gears of war is all they're accustomed to. Good people) I'll just move on and let them play whatever makes them happy I guess.

Just wish I knew more people who aren't afraid of change or adapting to something different. Not saying Gears 2 is perfect but returning your copy and going back to the first seems a little extreme to me.

Had a great time tonight doing public. Found games almost instantly with a party of 5 and out of 12 of the matches I played only one was a lagfest. So I'd say matchmaking is improving (possibly because there aren't as many players as before online) Epic needs to fix the game's ability to assign a host with the best connection. Love the game either way. :D

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I jumped into a random player match earlier, and it was full of people talking about how much they hated the game and going on and on about it. Why would people spend time playing the game if they think it's trash? I don't get it.
So much complaining about the game, people either need to accept the faults of the game and learn to counter them, or move the fuck on!

I know some peeps who complained about the first Gear's host advantage, glitches, etc but still played it until the very end. Sure they have the right to whine but sometimes I'd hope they stfu and deal with it. If you're not enjoying the game, find another one and let those who are having fun enjoy it. That would make too much sense.

My God, gamers are so cynical anymore; has there been one major release in recent history that hasn't been bitched out by sensitive fans? GTA IV, LBP, Gears 2, Resistance...nothing satisfies. : /

Horde mode is easily worth the retail price, imo. This is absolutely the direction that I want MP to go in. And I get the impression that devs understand this, as the concept is starting to spread to other shooters.

Epic is easily at the top of the heap in this category, though.

My biggest complaint probably lies in the overpowered sniper (or perhaps not? Maybe I'm just good at it now) and the uninspired "boss" battles. No more "shoot the glowing tentacle" scenarios, Epic.

raYne

WretchedTruman said:
My God, gamers are so cynical anymore; has there been one major release in recent history that hasn't been bitched out by sensitive fans? GTA IV, LBP, Gears 2, Resistance...nothing satisfies. : /
Eh, if a game deserves it, it deserves it.

Why shouldn't people be vocal about a dev screwing up aspects about a game? If anything, it's better for everyone since the devs might should take the feedback and fix whatever's wrong or at least ensure that it doesn't happen in their next game.

I'm sure no one wants a bunch of half-assed games with bad design decisions.

Evonus said:
CS 1.6 / CS:S
Or to make it xbox console applicable.

Halo / Halo 2 / Halo 3.

bimet

Evonus said:
CS 1.6 / CS:S
Ok? I wasn't talking in general. IMHO, the faults found in Gears 2 should not be a deal breaker to a fan of the series. Returning your copy because matchmaking is slow when it hasn't even been two weeks since the game has been released? Come on now.

raYne said:
Eh, if a game deserves it, it deserves it.

Why shouldn't people be vocal about a dev screwing up aspects about a game? If anything, it's better for everyone since the devs might should take the feedback and fix whatever's wrong or at least ensure that it doesn't happen in their next game.
therein lies the issue, though.

A great majority of the criticism I'm hearing anymore is "It's not what I'm used to! *panic*". That's simply not constructive criticism, in my eyes. Some issues are entirely objective, and absolutely demand criticism. But really, though, when fans weep for a return to the basics...that's just suppressing the evolution of the game play.

We rely too much on pointing out the negatives anymore. How can devs build upon what works when all we ever hear about is what doesnt?

Hell, maybe I'm just easy to please. But when the game is critically acclaimed on an almost universal scale, I think that people bitch just for the sake of bitching.

bimet

WretchedTruman said:

A great majority of the criticism I'm hearing anymore is "It's not what I'm used to! *panic*". That's simply not constructive criticism, in my eyes. Some issues are entirely objective, and absolutely demand criticism. But really, though, when fans weep for a return to the basics...that's just suppressing the evolution of the game play.

We rely too much on pointing out the negatives anymore. How can devs build upon what works when all we ever hear about is what doesnt?

Hell, maybe I'm just easy to please. But when the game is critically acclaimed on an almost universal scale, I think that people bitch just for the sake of bitching.

Right on. Remember though, you are posting on GAF where we focus on nip picking the slightest flaws which ultimately destroy the ENTIRE game for us. "Sell your __, it's all over." etc etc etc. :)

bimet said:
Right on. Remember though, you are posting on GAF where we focus on nip picking the slightest flaws which ultimately destroy the ENTIRE game for us. "Sell your __, it's all over." etc etc etc. :)
indeed. thisisneogafdude.gif quotes incoming.

WretchedTruman said:

I'm a Gears1 MP fanatic. Undoubtedly my most played game of the last 2 years. Played pretty much every night since it released. Gears2 did not evolve in the MP department, it devolved IMO. It's not just something you can totally just point out and say, ah that's the problem, it's just Gears2 feels so different. So many things contribute to that. The animation feels so soft now, and floaty. Shotgun has no umph to it anymore, and has been completely nerfed. For me, the shotgun was almost perfect in Gears1. Graphically, MP has taken a hit as well. It almost feels like a completely different team worked on the MP, while Epic concentrated on the SP.

It just all adds up to being a different game. Just not what I expected. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

Facism

The only thing that needs to be sorted is the chainsaw. People running through fire to cut you up is shyte, and the chainsaw duel mechanic is a pile of thick creamy wankage. Hammer a button to see who wins? GREAT MECHANIC. WORKS SO WELL. In a game where a guy can run through your point blank shotgun blast and cream you with his own half a second later.

If you're 13 and suffer from OCD, sure it's great.

web01

I hated the gears 1 multiplayer.
*lol lets roll around in circles and shoot each other with the shotty for over a minute*

All the multiplayer changes in gears 2 are for the better no doubt, the game is much more balanced and actually plays how the developers intended.

bimet

Vustadumas said:
I'm a Gears1 MP fanatic. Undoubtedly my most played game of the last 2 years. Played pretty much every night since it released. Gears2 did not evolve in the MP department, it devolved IMO. It's not just something you can totally just point out and say, ah that's the problem, it's just Gears2 feels so different. So many things contribute to that. The animation feels so soft now, and floaty. Shotgun has no umph to it anymore, and has been completely nerfed. For me, the shotgun was almost perfect in Gears1. Graphically, MP has taken a hit as well. It almost feels like a completely different team worked on the MP, while Epic concentrated on the SP.

It just all adds up to being a different game. Just not what I expected. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

I see and respect this opinion as well. I'm also a Gears fanatic; spent many, many hours of my life playing the crap out of the first both in player and ranked. Was a victim of every glitch encountered in the game (remote chainsaw lol) and believe me, I'm also having a little trouble adjusting to the changes. I wouldn't exactly say it has "devolved" however. Yes, smoke grenades can be annoying. Unloading a lancer on someone and still get chainsawed is ridiculous. There's lots of power weapons in some of the maps. Gears 1 MP lacked what is considered standard in multiplayer games nowadays. People complained about lack of party system and what's happening now? It's not good enough the same people say. Meatshields and grenade wall tagging add dept to MP this time around and finally, on my end it sure does feel like the netcode has improved.

Now the shotgun... I think it's just fine. Would I have preferred the old style shotty? Certainly. Blindfiring or quick aiming doesn't really work anymore, we cant "wall bounce" or "two-piece" as fast but that's ok. We simply have to find other ways to use it. It's understandable that Epic didn't want its creation to turn into "shotguns of war".

After all that, I still hear you. Is not what I expected either but being a so called gears fanatic doesn't stop me from having fun and looking at it from a different perspective. It all sinks in eventually and I'm positive they'll be numerous patches.

Darkman M

web01 said:
I hated the gears 1 multiplayer.
*lol lets roll around in circles and shoot each other with the shotty for over a minute*

All the multiplayer changes in gears 2 are for the better no doubt, the game is much more balanced and actually plays how the developers intended.

I never got into gears 1 multiplayer for that very reason, seems the changes were for the best imo.

The more I play the MP the more I love it. F the haters ;)

I am a big fan of the first MP, played it for over 2 years till Gears 2 came out, I also was scared that it might turn out bad because of the changes, but the multiplayer feel of the first is still there. It's still Gears but just more polished. Some minor issues aside, I simply love it, a patch should make this game a even more better mp experience.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
bimet said:
There are people playing Gears of War 1 on my friends list because they weren't satisfied with the changes to the series. I don't know whether to laugh or feel embarrassed for them (these guys are around 40-50 years old and gears of war is all they're accustomed to. Good people) I'll just move on and let them play whatever makes them happy I guess.

eh people did this with halo as well.

Gears 2 is GREAT

Horde is probably the best thing about it as well. I got it last night and got too much of a late night. Got to level 18 on horde and completely fell apart. haha. wanted the level 20 achievement. How long does a match take if you make it to 50 though? must be a few hours

EDIT:

PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THE CHAINSAW WORKS to me. I'm completely dumb with that thing

I have never, in gears 1 or 2 made it work successfully 2 times in a row. My chainsaw experience always goes like this

1. Run up behind locust who is facing away
2. make loud revving noise to get his attention
3. get beaten to death.

I simply don't understand how to cut someone in half with the thing. Am I supposed to be revving it while I run across the room? Is there a timing skill? Its freakin maddening because that chainsaw guns best feature is lost on me completely.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hellraizer said:
The more I play the MP the more I love it. F the haters ;)

I am a big fan of the first MP, played it for over 2 years till Gears 2 came out, I also was scared that it might turn out bad because of the changes, but the multiplayer feel of the first is still there. It's still Gears but just more polished. Some minor issues aside, I simply love it, a patch should make this game a even more better mp experience.

the rush of positivity threatens to overwhelm me! The only ways I can even conceive of anyone enjoying this multiplayer over Gears 1 are:

1) you play exclusively with people you know, so you're not REALLY in a position to pass judgement.

2) you sucked at gears 1 and the new methods have "reset" the field so you finally have a chance.

3) you're one of those who is perfectly happy to spam the smoke grenades/chainsaw and don't actually understand the original concept of stop and pop in the first place.

The first game was more stop and pop than this one. There is no way a smoke grenade orgy and a chainsaw massacre heaven is more stop and pop than the original. No way in hell. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Penguin said:
*Ponders*
Eh, I will get the achievement the old fashion way.

The Execution achievement is driving me crazy. Wish would tell me which was missing.

Aladuf said:
Oh shit, you did send me a voice message last night didn't you? I just remembered that, I never got to listen to it because me and ThirdEngine were busy chugging away at our Insane co-op. If I had to guess though, you probably still need the Boomshield execution, everybody (including me) seems to not think of that one.

I've found most people forget about the Boltok execution more than the Boomshield one, but that's just me.

MacBosse

catfish said:

Gears 2 is GREAT

Horde is probably the best thing about it as well. I got it last night and got too much of a late night. Got to level 18 on horde and completely fell apart. haha. wanted the level 20 achievement. How long does a match take if you make it to 50 though? must be a few hours

EDIT:

PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THE CHAINSAW WORKS to me. I'm completely dumb with that thing

I have never, in gears 1 or 2 made it work successfully 2 times in a row. My chainsaw experience always goes like this

3. get beaten to death.

I simply don't understand how to cut someone in half with the thing. Am I supposed to be revving it while I run across the room? Is there a timing skill? Its freakin maddening because that chainsaw guns best feature is lost on me completely.

Just hold the button 'til you lock and it starts cutting.

Sailor

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
In general. To see what your NAT is, do a connection test from the dashboard. It'll tell you what you have.

I did that, and it says my NAT is 'Open'. That's not bad is it..?

And if it's not my NAT that's the problem in me taking long to find games while my friend finds games in 10 seconds, is it because I have DSL and he has like FiOS or something?

kaizoku said:
the rush of positivity threatens to overwhelm me! The only ways I can even conceive of anyone enjoying this multiplayer over Gears 1 are:

1) you play exclusively with people you know, so you're not REALLY in a position to pass judgement.

2) you sucked at gears 1 and the new methods have "reset" the field so you finally have a chance.

3) you're one of those who is perfectly happy to spam the smoke grenades/chainsaw and don't actually understand the original concept of stop and pop in the first place.

The first game was more stop and pop than this one. There is no way a smoke grenade orgy and a chainsaw massacre heaven is more stop and pop than the original. No way in hell. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

1) How so? I also played enough matchmaking.

2) Maybe I have to prove you wrong here. I rule at Gears 1 ;D

3) I'm perfectly happy with having more variety in the game then before.

Where was the first one more stop and pop? It was strafe and pop most of the time. The circle around comment somewhere up here fits perfectly.

But hey, what to expect from someone who is claiming that Gears 1 is perfectly balanced. Why are some people angry that others are enjoying the Gears 2 multiplayer? Most of the people I encounter in Gears 2 which are not happy about it are bitter shotty-only players, who always screamed, bitched and yelled at you (and often kicked) if you ever dared to use anything else in Gears 1 except the Shotty and Sniper.

PSGames

catfish said:

Gears 2 is GREAT

EDIT:

3. get beaten to death.

Hold it down while you're close to the enemy. It sounds like you're not getting close enough.

My experiences with matchmaking over the past 2 days have been delicious. Very quick and lagless.

I've only been chainsawed directly in the front "in that way" (you know...) maybe twice in my last 20 games, so I suppose thats a good thing. Probably has to do with the lag being less so my shots actually register on rushing chainsaw bums.

I'm personally growing tired of smoke grenades though. I've had no problem winning matches but I'm tired of this smoke fest each match turns into over a power weapon. It hasn't been quite as bothersome lately though and I must admit it does create something more of a challenge to grab power weapons.

Overall I'd say I'm liking this game more than Gears of War 1 now. I'm not playing it at quite the same rate as Gears 1, but that's mostly just me more than any fault of the games.

Hellraizer said:
But hey, what to expect from someone who is claiming that Gears 1 is perfectly balanced. Why are some people angry that others are enjoying the Gears 2 multiplayer? Most of the people I encounter in Gears 2 which are not happy about it are bitter shotty-only players, who always screamed, bitched and yelled at you (and often kicked) if you ever dared to use anything else in Gears 1 except the Shotty and Sniper.

The funny thing is that most of my kills in this game are from the Gnasher. My hammerburst probably has the second most amount of kills. I've been able to alter my gameplay style from Gears 1 and as a result I'm still getting plenty of shotgun kills and I've seen many other good Gears 1 players adapt to this as well.

Chinner said:
i wouldn't bother responding to him brah.
Yeah I just wanted to nullify the "You either sucked at Gears 1 or never used matchmaking" arguments. I wont defend the Gears 2 MP, as there is nothing to defend, I enjoy it as I enjoyed the first, that's all that matters to me. :D

The funny thing is that most of my kills in this game are from the Gnasher. My hammerburst probably has the second most amount of kills. I've been able to alter my gameplay style from Gears 1 and as a result I'm still getting plenty of shotgun kills and I've seen many other good Gears 1 players adapt to this as well.
If someone is willing to adapt, he can enjoy the game and still stay competitive.

Chinner

Banned
Just saw this thread on the Epic forums:
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=637410
Hi all,

We're aware that some folks are experiencing longer-than-ideal wait times while using the skill-based Public matchmaking in Gears 2 multiplayer. We're working on some solutions but it's a complicated issue as there isn't any one problem; it's a combination of factors. Clearly, scale is one of them as we've had millions of successful matches played online so far, however a small percentage of players are having issues, which is unacceptable. We're working closely with Microsoft to address the matchmaking issues, I promise you that it is our #1 priority, and we hope to have an update soon.

In the meantime, I would like to suggest some workarounds:

If you're experiencing long delays (longer than 2 minutes) or you're seeing your matchmaking search restarting over and over again, please try a different playlist as that indicates a possible population issue with the currently selected one.

The problem seems to be heightened for parties of 1 and parties of 4 so please try to invite at least one friend into your party before matchmaking. And of course the fastest way to play is to have a full 5 person party before looking for a match since you won't have to find any teammates beforehand. Fortunately our new "What's Up" feature makes finding Friends who're playing Gears 2 online easier.

Also, after a match, if you'd like to continue to play with the 9 people you just played with, simply press Y to look at the previous match stats and press X to invite them all to your party so you can continue to play in a Private match if they accept. Private matches, while not arbitrated, gives you the flexibility to set exactly which map and mode you want to play along with customizing other aspects of the game.

And as always, please ensure that your router is set correctly so that your NAT is considered "Open" by Xbox LIVE as "Moderate" and "Strict" NATs make Xbox LIVE matchmaking more difficult. There are many guides available online to walk you through the process of correctly configuring your router for Xbox LIVE so I won't go into the specific details here.

Also, in case you're curious, a few interesting facts about Gears 2 multiplayer so far:

* Almost 3 million multiplayer matches (excluding Private) have been played.
* Almost 1 million screenshot photos have been uploaded to gearsofwar.com
* The most popular multiplayer mode is Horde.
* The most popular multiplayer map across all modes is River.
* The most lethal weapon is the Gnasher shotgun with almost 29% of all kills.

Again, I apologize for any issues you may be having and I hope the above workarounds give you a better experience until we are able to correct the issues we're seeing.

Thanks,

Rod.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Playing through on insane now and having a blast. Anyone else run into trouble with the first rig section, though? It's the one area where I found myself repeating the segment over and over again (at least ten times). Taking out the mortars isn't too bad (once you know the pattern), but that reaver at the end of the segment gave me a hard time and everytime you die they force you to sit through a series of scripted events.

Things have been much smoother since clearing that bit, however. I'm appreciating the game a bit more on this run.

Sandman42

dark10x said:
Playing through on insane now and having a blast. Anyone else run into trouble with the first rig section, though? It's the one area where I found myself repeating the segment over and over again (at least ten times). Taking out the mortars isn't too bad (once you know the pattern), but that reaver at the end of the segment gave me a hard time and everytime you die they force you to sit through a series of scripted events.

Things have been much smoother since clearing that bit, however. I'm appreciating the game a bit more on this run.
I died so many times on that part. :(

There are only two or three really frustrating parts in the game and that was the first I encountered.

Kolgar

I gladly accept the MP graphical downgrade if that's what allowed the addition of BOTS.

To me, bots are the holy grail this game needed. Now I can play anytime I want, without having to worry if my friends are online or what kind of game I might wander into. Plus, it's a great way to practice up without looking like a n00b.

Thank you, Epic, for the bots.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:

:lol

It took me 10 (almost successful) runs through the mortar bit before I realised left trigger gives you a reticle for the big gun you are on. I passed it first go after that.

REV 09

Kolgar said:
I gladly accept the MP graphical downgrade if that's what allowed the addition of BOTS.

To me, bots are the holy grail this game needed. Now I can play anytime I want, without having to worry if my friends are online or what kind of game I might wander into. Plus, it's a great way to practice up without looking like a n00b.

Thank you, Epic, for the bots.
what graphical downgrade? River, for example, looks better than any of the snowy single player sections.

REV 09

* Almost 3 million multiplayer matches (excluding Private) have been played.
* Almost 1 million screenshot photos have been uploaded to gearsofwar.com
* The most popular multiplayer mode is Horde.
* The most popular multiplayer map across all modes is River.
* The most lethal weapon is the Gnasher shotgun with almost 29% of all kills.

i thought the shotgun was nerfed :lol. Seriously, what's wrong with that percentage? Gears 1 would have the shotty at well over 50%.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
catfish said:
:lol

It took me 10 (almost successful) runs through the mortar bit before I realised left trigger gives you a reticle for the big gun you are on. I passed it first go after that.
Oddly enough, I found that using the shotgun made the mortar segment significantly easier. You need the turrent for taking out the reaver, however.

REV 09 said:
what graphical downgrade? River, for example, looks better than any of the snowy single player sections.
River is the only MP map that looks as nice as the Gears1 MP maps.
Even the flashback versions don't look as nice (Mansion especially).

I mean, compare Clocktower to anything in Gears 2 MP. It blows them away.

If it means we can allow 2 more characters on the map it's fine by me though!

mYm|17|

When playing online co-op campaign, does the game save for both people?

I was playing with JFK and we started on my campaign and we got through most of ACT 4. My game saved but his didn't.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
WretchedTruman said:

A great majority of the criticism I'm hearing anymore

you can't use anymore in the affirmative like that. It would only work in the negative. Like 'I'm not hearing this type of criticism anymore'

^I'm not sure why I pointed this out.

I was playing with JFK and we started on my campaign and we got through most of ACT 4. My game saved but his didn't.

This is how gears one behaved as well. The person that starts/hosts the campaign is the one that gets the save. however achievements are for both (I think)

I know this has been said before but as I have been playing the game I haven't been really blown away by the
graphics. It looks solid as hell but not OMG fap worthy as the first but then me and my brother got to chapter 4
and just stared at the water the cliffs the rocks the lighting and yeah the fap came back.

Snowden

Banned
kaizoku said:
Feel free to convince me otherwise.
Run like hell, bounce off wall, roll, shotgun shotgun, repeat. That wasn't stop-and-pop. You just got used to doing it. Maybe you were really good at it.

What you prefer comes down to your own preference, and no one should be attempting to claim universal superiority for their own opinion on which inevitable perversion of whatever Epic claims they "intended" is actually better. Exploitations exist in both systems.

On a technical level, you can complain about matchmaking being borked, or you could whine about the terrible level of host advantage in the first game.

Give-and-take.

raYne

I found Insane is pretty easy actually. You just have to do more pop and stop and take advantage of enemy movements, firing lulls between reloads, enemies being stunned by gunfire from yourself or your teammates etc.

The only section I ever had any trouble was the standoff right before you find
Maria
. Had to redo that a few times until I finally submitted that you can't gun your way through that section because of the enemies coming from multiple angles. So.. planted grenades as a defensive perimeter ftw.

I have finally somewhat mastered the shotgun. I like it now. At first I complained and moaned.

Its still pretty beast. I find myself with the lancer out at the beginning of the match and then when I spot an unsuspecting dude I switch to the shotty.

2nd, just got nxe yesterday and Im contemplating making room to install it. Maybe it would get rid of those disturbing load times before matches.

3rd, Im telling you neogaffers. The tactic of throwing a smoke while simultaneously dodging is butter. It always works. People never see it coming and if they do by the time they notice a smoke came out of you its too late. I said I wasnt going to youtube it but I just might. Just press RT+A+Left Stick direction you wanna flip dodge all at the same time. There should be no throw animation but a grenade should fly out.

_dementia said:
Are you able to kinda still wallbounce in Gears2 or am I crazy?

You kidding? The level of wallbounce available in this one is probably doubled from what was possible in Gears 1 if only because of the ability to CANCEL a cover jump at any point during the animation.

I've underestimated the power of nades in this game. Whatever most of my teammates have been doing with them, they are doing it wrong.

I finally saw the light after some kid managed to get 20 kills on my team with them a couple of days ago. We still managed to win, but it wasn't until then that I noticed the fucking range on these things as well as the incredible spawn times.

The possibilities these things have are incredible. Rushing boom shot at River? No your not. Rushing Mortar on Pavilion? Think again. Not to mention the use of them for defensive purposes with slapping them on walls.

Chinner

Banned
Saw your mention of the respawn times. They've should change the respawn times depending on the gametype. But to keep the point, they should make the respawn times the same amoun tas time as they were in Gears1.

Dark FaZe said:
I've underestimated the power of nades in this game. Whatever most of my teammates have been doing with them, they are doing it wrong.

I finally saw the light after some kid managed to get 20 kills on my team with them a couple of days ago. We still managed to win, but it wasn't until then that I noticed the fucking range on these things as well as the incredible spawn times.

The possibilities these things have are incredible. Rushing boom shot at River? No your not. Rushing Mortar on Pavilion? Think again. Not to mention the use of them for defensive purposes with slapping them on walls.
Or on the floor/ground ya know....

Top Bottom