• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

*sigh*

Just got home from work, was gonna hop on gears and i find out that I've been suspended from live until tomorrow for some reason. I have NO IDEA why, and they don't tell you anything in the pop-up notification. Is there any way to find out why they suspend you?

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
*sigh*

Just got home from work, was gonna hop on gears and i find out that I've been suspended from live until tomorrow for some reason. I have NO IDEA why, and they don't tell you anything in the pop-up notification. Is there any way to find out why they suspend you?
uh, I'd imagine with a gamertag like "Some Kneegrows", shit happens?

Haven't had that tag in a loooong time now. Tried to get my name on here changed too, but to no avail.

EDIT-just checked my e-mail and apparently it's because of player feedback. Awesome. Guess I'll install the leaked NXE and play with that since I can't get on live until tomorrow anyway....

Guys, we're gonna be hosting a room tonight around 9:00 EST with no grenade spawns whatsoever. Hopefully we can get a constant room going. Just send a friend request to my tag if you haven't already and want to play.

whitehawk

Banned
Aladuf said:
Baird, same as in Gears 1 for me. I can't not use him. The dude has awesome one liners that make me chuckle every time. As for the Locusts, I usually stick with the Sniper but I'll swap out once in a while with RAAM.
My friend purple donkey, HATES baird. Sometimes If I'm baird, he won't pick me up if im down :lol

And as I've mentioned when I host, it lags...And it just happened in Horde, and my teammates accused me of using standby. In Horde...That makes sense.

I'm going to be hopping on again in a minute and I'm definitely down to play Horde of normal multiplayer. GamerTag is RyoGCH. Invite me if you need players.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
this is stupid, I build my friends list around gears 1 and more recently gears 2, and only 6 people are online right now with gears on.

and XBL is currently being weird and not teling us what mode people are playing so I have no idea if a game will free up soon or what.

and I've been stuck waiting for a wingman match since upsidedown left, found a player, but been on that screen for like 10 minutes. oh wiat it just loaded. hallefuckinglujah.

if anyone wants to play some private games, please invite me! :D

whitehawk

Banned
Also, I agree with the guy above me ^^, smokes are way overpowered. Throwing smoking and just rushing is no fun. They should just stun the person maybe. Knocking them down is ridiculous. Plus sometimes the physics glitch up, and it takes a lot longer for you to get up than someone else. I've also has a friend going for the boomshit in River, got hit by a smoke, then somehow appeared on the bridge and got killed. :lol

Plus the area of damage is too big.

h3ro

I wanna set up a Horde run, I sent out a few messages, if you wanna play, reply and I'll invite you in...

I'm on now.

Hootie

Holy shit, Baird's AI during the (Act IV spoilers I guess)
splitting up part immediately after Cole's special "message for the Locust" is absolutely pitiful. My friend and I are playing through the game on Insane and can't kill the locust before Baird just runs on up to them and goes batshit crazy. Sometimes he'll chainsaw a guy or two but eventually he'll get downed with about 3-5 dudes all around him and so when my friend goes to revive him he gets killed virtually instantly. We tried this for about 1 1/2 hours before giving up.

Hootie said:
splitting up part immediately after Cole's special "message for the Locust" is absolutely pitiful. My friend and I are playing through the game on Insane and can't kill the locust before Baird just runs on up to them and goes batshit crazy. Sometimes he'll chainsaw a guy or two but eventually he'll get downed with about 3-5 dudes all around him and so when my friend goes to revive him he gets killed virtually instantly. We tried this for about 1 1/2 hours before giving up.
You should probably never bother trying to revive your squadmates unless it's your coop partner.

DoomGyver

spermatic cord said:
You should probably never bother trying to revive your squadmates unless it's your coop partner.

On insane you HAVE to revive them, if the AI bleeds out you restart the checkpoint.

Dumb game play decision, Cliff.

edit: beaten

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Full Recovery said:
On insane you HAVE to revive them, if the AI bleeds out you restart the checkpoint.

Dumb game play decision, Cliff.

edit: beaten

Kinda like the sound of that though, forces you to actually teamplay even when solo. Only would suck if the AI has a survival rate similar to Gears 1 though. Do they die 2 seconds into every gunfight again? if so...balls.

Aladuf

Banned
Hootie said:
When ThirdEngine and I were finishing up our co-op run on Insane last night that was one of the parts he was worried about playing because of some GAF horror stories about AI charging in and dying.. but luckily we had no issues with that and got right through it on our first try.

Also, speaking of beating it on Insane co-op, I was bummed to find out that I didn't unlock (or fully unlock) the gamerpic for doing that. It's the one that shows Marcus and Dom and it looks pretty badass. The spot for the pic shows up on my Xbox but the spot for it is literally blank, like, I can choose the spot but nothing will be added. :(

TTG

Errr did my gears of war skills turn to shit or "hardcore" not a good option on a first play through. I just died about 8 times trying to take out one reaver in the derrick chapter.

I beat the first gears on insane... I don't remember this shit being this hard or frustrating.

mYm|17|

kaizoku said:
this is stupid, I build my friends list around gears 1 and more recently gears 2, and only 6 people are online right now with gears on.

and XBL is currently being weird and not teling us what mode people are playing so I have no idea if a game will free up soon or what.

and I've been stuck waiting for a wingman match since upsidedown left, found a player, but been on that screen for like 10 minutes. oh wiat it just loaded. hallefuckinglujah.

if anyone wants to play some private games, please invite me! :D

sorry Kaizoku, was in a game earlier

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Aladuf said:
Also, speaking of beating it on Insane co-op, I was bummed to find out that I didn't unlock (or fully unlock) the gamerpic for doing that. It's the one that shows Marcus and Dom and it looks pretty badass. The spot for the pic shows up on my Xbox but the spot for it is literally blank, like, I can choose the spot but nothing will be added. :(

I had that too! Unlocked the gamerpic for beating the game in co-op, but the pic was just blank. Beat the game on insane after that, both pics show up. Weird stuff.

And yeah I posted about Baird's batshit crazy antics before. That alone makes that encounter the hardest in the game. My buddy basically had to rush in and revive him. We got seriously pissed. The real hardest encounter in the game (Act V courtyard locust parade) was like a breeze after that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
1oCLiGJhbC9DCxt0GltTWTJEL2FjaC8wLzE3AAAAAOfn5-nQRT4=.jpg

Hell yeah! :D

The main snags happened when splitting up...I never used the team commands in the first game, but they would have REALLY helped here, especially the hallway in Act 4(people probably know just from that)
Baird kept rushing everything, once a mauler actually smacked the ground and the explosion sent him off the floor and down into the abyss forcing a restart. I did this in co-op which might have made it harder but we only beat if by him staying at the first area so Baird WOULDN'T rush and I took out both sides myself.

Other than that, it was awesome, though a few glitchey areas forced restarts at some points, mainly

Act 3 -
Destroying the tower in the tank, it listed the objective even when I entered the cave, and there was nobody talking. Dead end in the cave, had to restart chapter.

Act 5 -
The crane part, after the person playing Dom got off, he got off before I fully had it on the ground. He was moving around and did his crane part when I was still controlling, he had to kill himself because I couldn't get out.

I switched to the gamerpic Insane gave me, I think I got another for co-op but it's just a blank square for some reason. :lol :lol

bumpkin

Tieno said:
So who do you guys play as in MP?

For some reason I picked Dizzy, because of his hat and over the top southern accent. Love hearing him talk...but I gotta say that nothing beats Carmine's overly enthusiastic chainsaw scream. Everytime I hear it in the distance it brings a smile to my face.
Admittedly I'm a sucker for the most recognizable characters; Marcus when I'm COG and RAAN when I'm Locust. I leave the golden Lancer and golden Hammerburst at home though. Only break them out on Horse mode. The CPU probably doesn't notice you "easier" so it's a non-issue. On regular MP it's a big shiny sign that says "shoot me!" :lol

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
It's really embarassing when you're the only surviving guy and you run into an obviously placed proximity grenade... with all of GAF watching in the lobby.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Tieno said:
So who do you guys play as in MP?

For some reason I picked Dizzy, because of his hat and over the top southern accent. Love hearing him talk...but I gotta say that nothing beats Carmine's overly enthusiastic chainsaw scream. Everytime I hear it in the distance it brings a smile to my face.

Hoffman

"This war's going to over in no time boys."

And holy shit at the centaur tank section, I thought it was bad before, it's an absolute nightmare on insane.

h3ro

RSTEIN said:
It's really embarassing when you're the only surviving guy and you run into an obviously placed proximity grenade... with all of GAF watching in the lobby.

I was in a room with Amir0x and a few other gaffers. They all got knocked out on Wave 35 and there I was coming down the balcony stairs in Avalanche with the last three grubs coming at me hard... I got stuck in cover while switching to my flamethrower and the Locust won... I didn't even get a shot off :lol

Penguin

RSTEIN said:

Oh gawd, I hate being the last one in GAF games. Aladuf never lets me live down my mistakes.

Granted, the fact that I usually don't roadie run may be a legit concern. :lol

When the hell will the game notice that when I host the game lags like shit and everyone quits? STOP CHOOSING ME AS HOST. It runs the game for everyone. I want to play legit games please.

I_D

Buckethead said:
Yes, it's a pain in the ass because the AI goes John fuckin' Rambo every time.

I haven't been able to try it yet, but can't you change the AI from offensive to defensive?

I coulda sworn you could do that in the first game.

Immortal_Daemon said:
I haven't been able to try it yet, but can't you change the AI from offensive to defensive?

Maybe, but not to my knowledge.
I vote they just make Gears 3 a giant ass game exclusive on Xbox 720, twice as long as Gears 2 and add squad-based controls of some sort.

They need to get their
Reaver/Brumack
controls under control as well. Shit is whack.

zaidr

who says the most crazy shit in multiplayer? I used to play with Cole cause of his insane talk, but Tai seems to be the new leader. Does Cole step up his game to compete with Tai's insane rantings?

Papercuts

Immortal_Daemon said:

You could in the first, can't now. AI friendlies on Insane now count as a game over if you don't revive them, so I don't know why they decided to take out the basic commands.

Frester

Man, no love for Sarge in MP! I used to roll with the Sniper in Gears 1 (for the goggles...which did NOTHING! :D ) but now I use Kantus.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Papercuts said:
You could in the first, can't now. AI friendlies on Insane now count as a game over if you don't revive them, so I don't know why they decided to take out the basic commands.

Because the commands didn't work properly, half of the time they would just ignore your orders.

Marcus: "Regroup!!"

Dom: "I can't make it!!!"

Marcus: "Attack!!"

Dom: "No can do!!"

And when they did follow your commands, they sure as hell took their sweet fucking time.

LCfiner

Just finished the campaign a second time. co-op on hardcore. Hardcore isn't too tough. a few spots that needed to be repeated - usually when i was separated from Dom and one of us died and could not be revived.

With that done, I think I'm ready to focus on horde mode for the next couple of weeks. I only played a little of that before but it was pretty addictive.

Papercuts

Gig said:
Because the commands didn't work properly, half of the time they would just ignore your orders.

Marcus: "Regroup!!"

Dom: "I can't make it!!!"

Marcus: "Attack!!"

Dom: "No can do!!"

And when they did follow your commands, they sure as hell took their sweet fucking time.

I rarely used them, but I do actually remember Dom always saying that stuff, no wonder. :lol

Still, a basic "wait here" would have made some parts on insane a lot more manageable.

mYm|17|

man did anybody else scream at the tv on Act 5 Chapter 3: Free Parking?

I had to repeat the courtyard like 10 times on Hardcore

Recoil

Gig said:
Hoffman

"This war's going to over in no time boys."

And holy shit at the centaur tank section, I thought it was bad before, it's an absolute nightmare on insane.

Did you get to the tower yet? :lol

I cannot find that 'one' character to be during MP. I'll switch off here and there but now it's between Kim, Dom, or B. Carmine for COG and either Kantus or RAAM for Locust. For instance, if I see Baird running around during a match, I know it's either 'duf or Recovery. I need to make a damn decision.

DoomGyver

ThirdEngine said:
I cannot find that 'one' character to be during MP. I'll switch off here and there but now it's between Kim, Dom, or B. Carmine for COG and either Kantus or RAAM for Locust. For instance, if I see Baird running around during a match, I know it's either 'duf or Recovery. I need to make a damn decision.

The reason I use Baird/Sniper Locust is mainly because I find them to be the quietest while roadie running/rolling.

The theron guards/ramm/kantus/skorge all make that hissing-i'm-gonna-suffocate-because-i've-smoked-tobaccy-for-too-long-noise.

and carmine/cole are also loud when they roll.

I find Dizzy to be the quietest of the new Cogs.

Top Bottom