• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

unomas

Banned
REV 09 said:
* Almost 3 million multiplayer matches (excluding Private) have been played.
* Almost 1 million screenshot photos have been uploaded to gearsofwar.com
* The most popular multiplayer mode is Horde.
* The most popular multiplayer map across all modes is River.
* The most lethal weapon is the Gnasher shotgun with almost 29% of all kills.

i thought the shotgun was nerfed :lol. Seriously, what's wrong with that percentage? Gears 1 would have the shotty at well over 50%.

It's called smoke grenade walk up to downed opponent and shotgun them when they're on the floor and can't do anything. Or two piece, which was always complained about in the first Gears. You can still get plenty of shotty kills, but firing from the hip makes bullets hit the ground and not the opponent. I wonder why they didn't list the percentage of chainsaw kills? Probably because it's a close second to the Gnasher.

My other thought is when you knock someone down with the Lancer but you finish them off with the Gnasher when downed does that count as a Gnasher kill or Lancer kill? Most people down someone but won't chainsaw them on the ground, most melee with a different weapon to finish them off or shoot them from a distance. I switch to the shotty and melee.

unomas said:
*snip* I wonder why they didn't list the percentage of chainsaw kills? Probably because it's a close second to the Gnasher.

My other thought is when you knock someone down with the Lancer but you finish them off with the Gnasher when downed does that count as a Gnasher kill or Lancer kill?

Well you can figure out your chainsaw percentages, because it lists chainsaw kills and your overall kills.

I have 837 kills. 210 being chainsaws. So 25% of my kills are chainsaws 21% are shotgun kills. But 69% of my kills are gibs...Not sure what what a gib is though.

Aladuf

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
You kidding? The level of wallbounce available in this one is probably doubled from what was possible in Gears 1 if only because of the ability to CANCEL a cover jump at any point during the animation.
Hell yeah, wallbouncing is fucking dirty in Gears 2. Sliding into cover but then canceling out right into a two-piece on some poor bastard. I love it so much. :lol

unomas

Banned
The On Timers said:
Well you can figure out your chainsaw percentages, because it lists chainsaw kills and your overall kills.

I have 837 kills. 210 being chainsaws. So 25% of my kills are chainsaws 21% are shotgun kills. But 69% of my kills are gibs...Not sure what what a gib is though.

Well according to the stats on epics website 48 of my 104 kills (about 47%) are chainsaw kills. Yet it lists my most killed with weapon as the Gnasher at 13% while the lancer is listed at 7%.

Chinner

Banned
Aladuf said:
Hell yeah, wallbouncing is fucking dirty in Gears 2. Sliding into cover but then canceling out right into a two-piece on some poor bastard. I love it so much. :lol
how do you cancel?

kaizoku said:
the rush of positivity threatens to overwhelm me! The only ways I can even conceive of anyone enjoying this multiplayer over Gears 1 are:

1) you play exclusively with people you know, so you're not REALLY in a position to pass judgement.

2) you sucked at gears 1 and the new methods have "reset" the field so you finally have a chance.

3) you're one of those who is perfectly happy to spam the smoke grenades/chainsaw and don't actually understand the original concept of stop and pop in the first place.

The first game was more stop and pop than this one. There is no way a smoke grenade orgy and a chainsaw massacre heaven is more stop and pop than the original. No way in hell. Feel free to convince me otherwise.
I'm in the same position as Hellraizer, and none of those "theories" you mentioned apply to me. Yes, I do play with people I know, but I also often play matchmaking with a full party at hours when I know there won't be many Americans online (to reduce potential lag). Back when I was into Gears 1 I also played it a lot and got relatively good at it, but gave it rest once Ranked Matches were completely broken for me (mostly due to bad hosts and too many idiotic glitchers). And no, I completely avoid the chainsaw and don't spam smoke grenades for two reasons: 1) Hammerburst > Lancer and 2) I always tend to keep my smoke grenade until I can really make use of them. I generally refuse to throw them when I know most people will spam them right off the bat.

Besides: chainsaws aren't as invincible as you think as long as you're playing in a room where you have a good connection. A few Hammerburst bullets will stun someone running straight at you guaranteed, you can melee people when they're approaching you with their revved up chainsaw and even one shotgun shell well-aimed should suffice if you let them get close enough. Hell, even every pistol can easily do the job... If you're in a room with lag however, only the Hammerburst (as well as a pistol) is reliable, while the melee counter is hit or miss at times.

unomas said:
It's called smoke grenade walk up to downed opponent and shotgun them when they're on the floor and can't do anything. Or two piece, which was always complained about in the first Gears. You can still get plenty of shotty kills, but firing from the hip makes bullets hit the ground and not the opponent. I wonder why they didn't list the percentage of chainsaw kills? Probably because it's a close second to the Gnasher.

My other thought is when you knock someone down with the Lancer but you finish them off with the Gnasher when downed does that count as a Gnasher kill or Lancer kill? Most people down someone but won't chainsaw them on the ground, most melee with a different weapon to finish them off or shoot them from a distance. I switch to the shotty and melee.
I don't see anything wrong with "two-piecing" if you whipped out your shotgun. If someone's in your face and casually walks into your melee range, why shouldn't you do it?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Evonus said:
Run like hell, bounce off wall, roll, shotgun shotgun, repeat. That wasn't stop-and-pop. You just got used to doing it. Maybe you were really good at it.

What you prefer comes down to your own preference, and no one should be attempting to claim universal superiority for their own opinion on which inevitable perversion of whatever Epic claims they "intended" is actually better. Exploitations exist in both systems.

On a technical level, you can complain about matchmaking being borked, or you could whine about the terrible level of host advantage in the first game.

Give-and-take.

wrong. I was actually really poor at using the shotgun up close. I used it ok for blind fire ambushes or if I had an active reload one hit kill aka the way its probably envisioned to be used, but my internet's shitty latency (and the fact I mostly played with Aussies/Americans) means I sucked at up close circle shotgun battles.

If someone is rushing you with a shotgun, you unload your weapon of choice into them, almost any weapon you have should be able to massively hurt them or down them before they get to you. Hammerburst, lancer, pistol, magnum - maybe not as its in the same family, power over speed/range. Torque, sniper, boomshot, hammer of dawn, they could all stop a guy running around with a shotgun.

Furthermore if someone has a shotgun, you could just get into cover and avoid it, if they get close, switch cover, evade etc. You could also just run away. Now, I don't get the chance to because people throw a smoke, get me down and then shotgun rush me. There are lots of ways to counter a shotgun rushing lunatic, how do you counter that?

Yeah ok sometimes teams would be really dull and rush around shotgunning for endlessly, no mind for tactics or anything else, thats when I leave the game. But I still found teams rushing around with shotguns immensely more enjoyable (and stoppable) than teams running around with grenades and chainsaws and mortars creating unstoppable death. there is no real paper to those stones.

I find it funny that I bitch about the smokes and chainsaws and people say I'm wrong and am just a Gears 1 old timer who can't adjust, then you have people posting about how awesome grenades are and how people get insane amounts of kills with them and how grenades are the key to victory etc.

Boring. What saddens me most is I can't see Epic switching it up so that the smoke grenades aren't so powerful or frags don't respawn so fast on MP. If anything I see them getting worse as the hardcore players find all the little advantages and grind out every little bit of performance so you don't even get a chance anymore unless you play to the same tune. Thats what I call UNBALANCED.

If I don't want to resort to grenades/chainsaws etc I should be able to pick any other weapon and still stand a chance. I shouldn't be held to ransom by the games rules.

Just so everyone is clear: ITS NOT THE NEW SHOTGUN I AM COMPAINING ABOUT

but enough of that, I've said more than enough on the topic! Will try to play some more and see if I unearth some useful counter strategies but I'm not hopeful.

kaizoku said:
Furthermore if someone has a shotgun, you could just get into cover and avoid it, if they get close, switch cover, evade etc. You could also just run away. Now, I don't get the chance to because people throw a smoke, get me down and then shotgun rush me. There are lots of ways to counter a shotgun rushing lunatic, how do you counter that?
Sigh.

If they're throwing the damn thing, you have more than enough time to run away from it as soon as you see it in the air, to move outside its splash damage zone. Especially if people keep throwing them at the same positions as you were saying earlier. Is that so hard (other than in rooms with significant lag)? Or you should just stay back a little at the beginning and use something like the Hammerburst, which is a potent weapon at mid-range.

Merguson

Banned
Since this is from Gears of War 2... anyone need a 48 hours trial.... M4KWW - P3CBB - PMTB6 - XJGP7 - WGYQY

On a side note, has anyone heard about any fix to the matchmaking issue? I searched a couple of games on Horde, and it took around 5 minutes to find a party.. I don't consider that bad, but I'm hearing that people are having to wait even more to find a match..

Chinner

Banned
Merguson said:
Since this is from Gears of War 2... anyone need a 48 hours trial.... M4KWW - P3CBB - PMTB6 - XJGP7 - WGYQY

On a side note, has anyone heard about any fix to the matchmaking issue? I searched a couple of games on Horde, and it took around 5 minutes to find a party.. I don't consider that bad, but I'm hearing that people are having to wait even more to find a match..
read this brah
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13669755&postcount=6086

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
MicVlaD said:
Sigh.

If they're throwing the damn thing, you have more than enough time to run away from it as soon as you see it in the air, to move outside its splash damage zone. Especially if people keep throwing them at the same positions as you were saying earlier. Is that so hard (other than in rooms with significant lag)? Or you should just stay back a little at the beginning and use something like the Hammerburst, which is a potent weapon at mid-range.

the most popular MP mode is probably execution, or one where you can't get medium-range kills. so staying back beyond the range of a smoke grenade to cover a power weapon isn't really useful, esp as they've pretty long range. The best you can hope for here is to down someone? If they throw smokes and miss, you then get a chance to down them, rush over and hope to take them out? Maybe if there's only one of them. If there's two, again, you've probably lost the encounter. So best way to fight back is to throw your own smoke grenade, down them and rush in yourselves.

Sure you can run away as I've said, but that doesn't really count as succeeding does it? You are giving up the power wepaon/position.

kaizoku said:
the most popular MP mode is probably execution, or one where you can't get medium-range kills. so staying back beyond the range of a smoke grenade to cover a power weapon isn't really useful, esp as they've pretty long range. The best you can hope for here is to down someone? If they throw smokes and miss, you then get a chance to down them, rush over and hope to take them out? Maybe if there's only one of them. If there's two, again, you've probably lost the encounter. So best way to fight back is to throw your own smoke grenade, down them and rush in yourselves.

Sure you can run away as I've said, but that doesn't really count as succeeding does it? You are giving up the power wepaon/position.
I didn't say anything about outright killing them. A lot of people think they can safely pick up a weapon after they (and the majority of their team) threw their smoke grenades, so just stay out of its range and shoot at the weapon they're going for. If you can down them, then it should be enough to run over there, kill the guy / use him as a meatshield and eventually reclaim the weapon he just picked up. Most parties I encountered during matchmaking don't work together a lot and if there are multiple people on the same side, why not co-ordinate with your team as well? After all, working together with your team is something you had to do in Gears 1 as well if you wanted the stronger weapons...

This also works on Execution (my favorite mode). Execution with default rules, not the inferior version with 5 second down times. Smoke grenades are a nuisance in modes where you can respawn, mind you.

There is a counter to pretty much everything in this game. Teamwork is required to pull some of it off, so I can't help you there, but there ARE counters.

Aladuf said:
Melee with a weapon (mostly used with the shotty) and then shoot the person right after the melee. It'll fuck them up. :)

My two piece has failed a lot lately. If I try to L tap immediately after I'll get mixed results. sometimes the gun won't actually fire, or due to the quick aim the guy doesn't die. Most of this is probably lag related. Also I've had hip shots after two pieces literally dissapear. I guess they go into the ground?

Guess I'll have to practice my two piecing...wow. lulz.

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

Sailor

Sailor said:
I did that, and it says my NAT is 'Open'. That's not bad is it..?

And if it's not my NAT that's the problem in me taking long to find games while my friend finds games in 10 seconds, is it because I have DSL and he has like FiOS or something?

Just wanted to bring this up again..no one ever responded :\

NIN90

What's the best difficulty for Gears 1 and Gears 2 for someone who thought Uncharted's (I know this is quite a stretch) hard mode was just the right amount of challenge?

Ramirez

Sailor said:
Just wanted to bring this up again..no one ever responded :\

Open NAT is the most compatible, it's something on Epic's side, I've never had matchmaking problems like this in any other game.

h3ro

dhelfric said:
What's the best difficulty for Gears 1 and Gears 2 for someone who thought Uncharted's (I know this is quite a stretch) hard mode was just the right amount of challenge?

Hardcore. Just the right amount of challenge. (still on the easier side though... Insane is gonna make me break something fierce though :lol )

Sailor

Ramirez said:
Open NAT is the most compatible, it's something on Epic's side, I've never had matchmaking problems like this in any other game.

But that still doesn't explain why it took me 2 minutes to not find a game, while it took him 10 seconds to actually find one for us..

Lol, really the only game I've had problems with as well. CoD and Halo are golden for me, even with DSL.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I can't believe Rod is saying that the matchmaking problems are impacting "a small percentage of players."

I'm sorry, but this is total BS. I think everyone in this thread has had matchmaking problems. Almost every single person I've spoken with in real life has experienced problems. My matchmaking is better now but I still get the odd game that takes 5-10 minutes to get into.

h3ro said:
Hardcore. Just the right amount of challenge. (still on the easier side though... Insane is gonna make me break something fierce though :lol )
Co-op on Insane really isn't that hard. Sure, there are a few parts here and there that will fuck with you, but for the most part it wasn't bad at all. There were even a few times where we would one-shot snipe some of the bigger enemies which suprised us.

Scarecrow

I'm about 3/4 the way through Act 4 on insane. It's pretty tough, but I'm pretty patient with dieing a lot. So far the hardest part recently has been a trolly ride you have to defend against about 6 Reavers. Those assholes suck on insane.

KTallguy

Banned
Playing Gears 2 sp on Hardcore.
Took me 15 minutes to get past that stupid second level with the motor fire and shit.
Then someone told me I could aim with the stationary gun, and it was a lot easier :lol

Still, that whole level was kind of shit. I hope it gets better from here.

Tieno

So who do you guys play as in MP?

For some reason I picked Dizzy, because of his hat and over the top southern accent. Love hearing him talk...but I gotta say that nothing beats Carmine's overly enthusiastic chainsaw scream. Everytime I hear it in the distance it brings a smile to my face.

Sectus

Okay, I'm pretty sure the game is playing tricks on me. Has anyone noticed the opening message? And how it's... slightly different at times? Sometimes there's a linebreak after the second sentence. Yesterday there was an extra space between "new game". I also saw 2 exclamation marks after the last sentence another day.

It's a conspiracy I say.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Dizzy + Gold Lancer for me.

Love hearing him talk, plus it makes me stand out well.

Chinner

Banned
Tieno said:

For some reason I picked Dizzy, because of his hat and over the top southern accent. Love hearing him talk...but I gotta say that nothing beats Carmine's overly enthusiastic chainsaw scream. Everytime I hear it in the distance it brings a smile to my face.
Marcus. No one can beat the original badass.

pr0cs

Tieno said:

Baird. and the cyclops locust

Tieno said:

Cole Train baby. One Cole Train is overkill but imagine a team of 5. Whoo!

I also like to pick Hoffman, don't know why, always liked to pick him in the first, too...besides the Train.

Also, if you listen closely, you can notice that Cole breathes different than the other Gears (also in Gears 1) when he runs. More like a sport-pro, considering his background I always found this little detail funny.:D

I play as...i don't remember his name. The Commander dude, all sergeant and shit.
Hoffman.

Zezboob

_dementia said:
River is the only MP map that looks as nice as the Gears1 MP maps.
Even the flashback versions don't look as nice (Mansion especially).

I mean, compare Clocktower to anything in Gears 2 MP. It blows them away.

If it means we can allow 2 more characters on the map it's fine by me though!
I disagree.
Personally, I would say that Mansion is the most beautiful map in Gears 1, and is superior at any Gears 2 maps (specially due to the rain effects).
But looking at the overall Gears 1 is not specially superior to Gears 2. Hail has a superb rain effect, Pavilion is really good looking, Security has a sweet urban atmosphere (it's really missing in Gears 2 IMO) etc...

Only Ruins, Stasis and Day One are really deceiving.
In Gears 1, Gridlock, Rooftops or Escalation aren't really hot (graphically).

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
Baird, same as in Gears 1 for me. I can't not use him. The dude has awesome one liners that make me chuckle every time. As for the Locusts, I usually stick with the Sniper but I'll swap out once in a while with RAAM.

kuYuri

I use either Carmine or Dom most of the time. I'll switch to the others based on my mood, but definitely Carmine and Dom the most.

As for Locust, the most I use is Theron Guard. Grenadiers when I feel like switching.

Played as Baird in the first Gears as COG and the Sniper as Locust, or as I call him "Goggleman". In Gears 2 I play as Baird and once in a great while Dizzy, and Goggleman, and sometimes Beast Rider.

Doodis

I usually play as Tai on COG since everyone else uses dizzy.

And since everyone uses Skorge on Locust I usually play as Kantus.

Top Bottom