• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Recoil said:
Did you get to the tower yet? :lol

That what was giving us the most trouble, no matter what we did those goddamn turrets tore us a part in seconds. Eventually I just slowly creeped up in reverse to get them to spawn, boosted forward up the and got out of range of the turrets and we blasted them and the tower.

And, the part with Seeders was awful too. Like WTF, that Nemacyst blew up fifty feet ahead us and we still died, fuck!!!

Also, why does it take so many fucking shots to kill one little drone?!!!!!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ThirdEngine said:
I cannot find that 'one' character to be during MP. I'll switch off here and there but now it's between Kim, Dom, or B. Carmine for COG and either Kantus or RAAM for Locust. For instance, if I see Baird running around during a match, I know it's either 'duf or Recovery. I need to make a damn decision.

Lol, Dizzy is the fucking man. I've been him since day one and always will be. In Horde, I like to pick up the Revolver and use it while being Dizzy; giving pistol whips to the back of the head. Bringin' western back.

He's my Recon armor. Although I get really pissed when people shoot my hat off.

"Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit yeah!"

minx

Full Recovery said:
The reason I use Baird/Sniper Locust is mainly because I find them to be the quietest while roadie running/rolling.

The theron guards/ramm/kantus/skorge all make that hissing-i'm-gonna-suffocate-because-i've-smoked-tobaccy-for-too-long-noise.

and carmine/cole are also loud when they roll.

I find Dizzy to be the quietest of the new Cogs.

That's exactly who I was in Gears 1. In Gears 2 i am still Baird but i think skorge's skinny body tends to somehow throw off people's aim.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
can't beleive how LONG horde takes.

i've got some wicked jet lag and played till 2am last night because I made it to level 35 with my team and 1 guy had already quit, I just felt to damn guilty to quit and it was fun as hell. level 30-40 gets hard though.

Totally screwed up on that security level by running into a red laser beam while one of my team was already dead. sorry fellas.

Those boomers turn into snipers past level 30. It's freakin hard. Still can't use the chainsaw or find good weapons :lol

DoomGyver

Okay, the party system is officially fucked up. It just assigned me Host.

My connection can support like, 3 people. Needless to say I dominated and everyone was bitching up a storm.

19-2 :lol

TTG said:
Errr did my gears of war skills turn to shit or "hardcore" not a good option on a first play through. I just died about 8 times trying to take out one reaver in the derrick chapter.

I beat the first gears on insane... I don't remember this shit being this hard or frustrating.

No dude, its not just you. I ran into the exact same thing. Beat Gears 1 on Insane, then early on in Gears 2, kept dying on that part.

Just get on the turrett and concentrate all your fire on the reaver itself...and make sure you cool the fuck out of your turrett (right bumper). Overall, Hardcore felt like a good difficulty to play through the first time.

Those weird difficulty spikes are about the only negative thing I could say about the game. I still think the chainsaw is a little overpowered in multi, but whatever. Still GOTY for me.

Mr. Sam

Full Recovery said:
The reason I use Baird/Sniper Locust is mainly because I find them to be the quietest while roadie running/rolling.

The theron guards/ramm/kantus/skorge all make that hissing-i'm-gonna-suffocate-because-i've-smoked-tobaccy-for-too-long-noise.

and carmine/cole are also loud when they roll.

I find Dizzy to be the quietest of the new Cogs.

I use Baird for his hair.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
h3ro said:
I was in a room with Amir0x and a few other gaffers. They all got knocked out on Wave 35 and there I was coming down the balcony stairs in Avalanche with the last three grubs coming at me hard... I got stuck in cover while switching to my flamethrower and the Locust won... I didn't even get a shot off :lol

:D

One thing I find really cool is changing camera when you're dead and seeing swarms of red names descend onto the few remaining blue names. Or seeing one guy fend off 3 maulers, but what he doesn't know is 2 boomers are walking up the stairs behind them.

I'm having a real craving right now, need to go home and play! That sniper is like crack. aim, bam, head burst. Its like a drug, seriously.

Bring back the games when someone would host and have all weapons be snipers :D Those were the days.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
In Gears 1 I used Baird a lot of the time because I look exactly like him in real life... blond hair and blue eyes (well, he sports blue goggles).

But then I read a bit of backstory on him about him always fucking up and getting demoted. Something along the lines of how he always tries to be the leader but always ends up screwing up and putting his squad in tight jams. So, after reading that, I said, fuck you Baird.

Now I go with Dizzy (ok, I admit, simply because his hat can come off during battle), Tai (for his one liners) or Marcus (hail to the King, baby).

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

I'm playing insane on co-op with a roommate. We are at the part at the end of Act IV where we are divided into left and right hall. There are like 3 "rooms" you go through and you can help your partner by shooting across the way. BAIRD ALWAYS FUCKING RUNS UP AND DIES and we can't do anything about it. Anyone know a solution? We have some close to beating it, its crazy, we have tried over 50 times. I can't think of anything else to do.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
DanielPlainview said:
I'm playing insane on co-op with a roommate. We are at the part at the end of Act IV where we are divided into left and right hall. There are like 3 "rooms" you go through and you can help your partner by shooting across the way. BAIRD ALWAYS FUCKING RUNS UP AND DIES and we can't do anything about it. Anyone know a solution? We have some close to beating it, its crazy, we have tried over 50 times. I can't think of anything else to do.

:lol another weird oversight from the devs. sorry Epic, but thats just bad game design.

J2d

I just can't into this game like the first. sp has all these sections that just sucks (vehicle), AI is dumb as bricks and playing insane alone is just pissing me off. Matchmaking is slow as hell, there's too much time spent in the lobby and fuck the grenades. The limited edition was weak as well.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
I predict a GAF Gears 2 avatar party before our matches tonight.
:O

PARTAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@ RSTEIN, too bad you can't make a headless avatar... that would be so appropriate for a pre-Gears 2 meetup. :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
@ RSTEIN, too bad you can't make a headless avatar... that would be so appropriate for a pre-Gears 2 meetup. :D

:lol If I had the ability I'd make a dude with Baird's face kissin my ass!

bumpkin

bigswords said:
Anyone having issues playing or resuming single player after installing Gears 2 to the harddisk?
I too would like to know this... Planning on installing Gears 2 tonight after I get the NXE.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I haven't played in a week thanks to Banjo, so I pop this sucker in and Matchmaking is still taking an age.

Come oooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnn Epic, I want to play your game more. :(

andymcc

Banned
SpudBud said:
I need more people on my friends list playing. Send me FRs people! GT: SpudxBud

just added you.

i hate the fucking shitty matchmaking on this. all of my friends play CoD. my gt: Mugiwara

Penguin

RSTEIN said:
:lol If I had the ability I'd make a dude with Baird's face kissin my ass!

Don't be baited by Aladuf.
It will only make you weaker.

Instead... hmm.. I got nothing...

And as for character I go with the Cole Train because the first night we played, my friends thought it would be ethnical nice to go with the character that matched your race.

So one white dude, an asian and a black guy became our party.

chimster

SpudBud said:
I need more people on my friends list playing. Send me FRs people! GT: SpudxBud

andymcc said:
just added you.

i hate the fucking shitty matchmaking on this. all of my friends play CoD. my gt: Mugiwara

just added both of you GT=Chimera33 more people add me please

h3ro

ThirdEngine said:
I predict a GAF Gears 2 avatar party before our matches tonight.

You predicted correctly...

332b1af.jpg

I'm the brown guy in front and center... :p

Those matches were damn fun fellas, especially that Baird on Baird team killing action...

Also, if anyone cares, here's a shot of the Gears Last Day NXE theme on my setup...

149ten9.jpg

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT. I just beat the game :D :D :D :D :D :D GOTY for sure. Gears 1 was my GOTY 2 years ago, so no real shock there, but I strongly prefer Gears 2. Chapters 2, 4 and 5 are just pure win. Chapter 1 has some very good moments, but the very beginning is weaksauce and it's pretty short really. Chapter 3 is very good, but its Gears 2 version of the factory in Gears 1. The slower paced "scary" section. It works as a great change of pace.
though the razor hail may be my favorite single part of the game

Parts of the game that did not work for me at all:
1)The very beginning of chapter 1 on the derrick. I just did not care for this section AT ALL. Too restrictive, too many sections that required you to act too quickly. Gears is not a titch game. Big mistake IMO.

2) Fighting the Sires. This wasn't a game killing section or anything and not particularly bad, but there were too many of them. I can only spam the chainsaw for so long before it gets boring.

3) Centaur. I actually liked 90% of the Centaur section and thought it worked pretty well. The fucking frozen lake and the tower did not work at all.

Other than that, solid all around, no other really "bad" parts to the game.

Things I wish they had in the game.

1) More hammer of dawn. You really only got it at the very very end of the game. They let you do some really cool shit with it, but it's my favorite weapon from the first game (Mortars replace it as best weapon in the game though). They also did more interesting stuff with it in the first game though.

2) Krill section. I really wish they had another Krill section, even if it was a short one. It was a great part of the first game. Ducking and moving, looking for gas tanks to set on fire. Really good stuff. I know that the AI on Dom and the Locust was crazy stupid and they killed themselves a lot. Razor Hail worked similarly to the Krill, but I wish they had actual Krill as well.

3) Bezerker. My favorite favorite part of the first game were the first two encounters with the Bezerker (the third on the train was good, but too easy). the second fight where you have to coax the bezerker into knocking down pillars to open up the cieling so you can light her up with the hammer is pure fucking win. They should have had a few battles with them at some point. I think they wanted a faster paced game that felt more like a war game than a survival game, so I get why they ditched them.. but the research facility was just begging for a run in with one. How about making you shoot out glass ceilings or something so the razor hail killed the Beserker or something cool? Maybe I'm the only person that liked those sections though, who knows

Best Parts:

Razor Hail: Holy shit, awesome.

Brumack Ride: Easy as shit, but the corpser fight was just awesome, killing the barge was awesome. everything about it was awesome.

Walking to the edge of the Jericho Sinkhole. Fucking awesome visuals. Too bad they spoiled this entire section at E3 since it is by far the most impressive in the game.

The first Brumak fight with the mortars. had me laughing uncontrollably with joy.

Plot thoughts:

Dom's wife bored me. They set it up in the first game, and I get that it was supposed to be emotional, but I couldnt give a shit when he shot her.

Marcus' Father: I was interested in this since the first game. I still want to know exactly who he is, why he has so much data on the Locust and what Marcus did to go to jail. Where is his father, seems to be alive.. seems like flooding the locust was a giant fuck up of some sort.

Locust War: Meh on this. I want more explanation about why they are fighting. Does the immulsion just make you crazy or something and go bezerk so they have to kill the infected ones? I'm not really sure. More explenation needed in Gears 3.

Research Facility: I have no idea what is going on here. Did we create the Locust? Were we doing research on the locust? Weapons testing? again, who knows. Need more info in Gears 3.

Marcus getting it on with Anna: no love story please.

Queen looking like a human: I don't get it.. obviously has a relationship with marcus' father. Need to see how this works out in Gears 3.

My real hope here is that Gears 2 events have an imact on Gears 3. Gears 1 seems like a prolouge to the real story. Very little carryover from Gears 1's events. Lightmass bomb seems to have been completely useless.

Also, love the self reference between the two games. Some jokes, some just continuity stuff.. like when they first see Skorge and comment "looks a hell of alot tougher than Raam".

I will also say I prefer the vibe of the first game more than this one. That game felt like you were just surviving and doing whatever you were told without really caring what the fuck was going on.. just completing your mission. Seemed like a really cool change of pace from your typical action game. It was also a slower game, and the encounters with the larger locust was just epic. They set up your first encounter with a corpser for a very long time and the payoff was great. Taking on a big locust in Gears 1 felt like instant death, so when you took one on and won, it felt like a really big deal.

In Gears 2 they trade that feeling off to make you feel more powerful. You mow through corpsers and Brumaks like it's nothing at all.. you encounter a ton of them too, so they really lose their impact in a lot of ways. It works better for the gameplay, but loses some impact in the vibe department.

I think the reason they didnt do this stuff in Gears 1 is because the technology wasn't there. Gears 2 looks better than Gears 1, but the amount of stuff on screen at any one time is really the biggest difference. Gears 1 never had any giant set pieces, everything was smaller and more personal.

bigswords

bumpkin said:
I too would like to know this... Planning on installing Gears 2 tonight after I get the NXE.

I fixed this issue finally by

1) Use any other gamertag
2) start campaign
3) See the "saving checkpoint..."
4) Exit game.
5) Use your original gamertag and load your save.
6) Save game loads.

Man, I have to say the new Tyro Station sucks in every way. The train comes too often now, especially in Annex where you hardly have enough time to capture the Annex point. You can't hear it coming as well as the original. And the spaces to pull yourself up out of the railroad are too small...Just not good. Should have stuck with the original pixel by pixel.

Top Bottom