• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Anyone up for some horde tonight?

I still want to clear waves 30-50 on hardcore.

I don't really mind if we only clear a wave or two a day for awhile, its just more worthwhile than playing on normal imo. though I'm happy to do normal as well, that means I just have to go back once I've done normal and do 30-50 again on hardcore.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Why do people even bother coming into this thread to trash gears?

I play every night with my friends 5 vs 5 and it's the best mp out there. I think the people complaining prolly have shit connections.

unomas said:
Ahhh yes the good ole days on Raven down

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=517rECRo0mQ&feature=related

And before everyone starts crying overpowered shotty Raven down had no power weapons on it so you were forced to get into shotty battles. That was the beauty of the map, all the other maps in gears had power weapons to use to keep shotty guys at bay, and if someone in the original flanked you and shredded you maybe you should have been watching your back?
This video reminds me why I hated Raven Down. Worst map of Gears 1 in my opinion, right up there with Rooftops.

ChrisGoldstein said:

I play every night with my friends 5 vs 5 and it's the best mp out there. I think the people complaining prolly have shit connections.
Or because a region search filter (any kind of host-related filter for that matter) isn't available in Gears 2 matchmaking.

Dina

Finally beat the campaign. Got the 15 different weaponkill achievements, but only 7 of the 11 execution ones. Can't for the lose figure out which one to get.

Campaign is sweet as hell though. Skorge makes a pretty gay endboss and the numerous vehicle sections don't sit well with me, but that's it for the complaints. It's a very thrilling, fun, bloody ride of a game.

On hardcore btw.

kaizoku

ChrisGoldstein said:

its not trashing, its criticism which is fair enough imo. Its certainly more useful to the developers to hear than the people who say "yeah its great, best MP ever, don't ever change".

which to me just makes it sound like you're only playing with the right people, the game should be balanced no matter who you're playing with or what strategies they use.

everyone spams smoke grenades now. Its like playing a fighting game where there happens to be one character with an awesome move and everyone just spams that while you're trying to play a more interesting game.

That video doesn't seem that bad, he barely glances the guy on those 3 shots. I wouldn't expect the guy to die if that was me. Shoulda chased the first guy he hit, he coulda been downed by a stiff breeze at that point.

Ok, 3 times already I've been playing Horde and right when we reach level 10 we're all disconnected from the host. This is 3 times with different people each time. Once we hit level 10 it will disconnect us. What the fuck is up Epic?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kaizoku said:

I don't really mind if we only clear a wave or two a day for awhile, its just more worthwhile than playing on normal imo. though I'm happy to do normal as well, that means I just have to go back once I've done normal and do 30-50 again on hardcore.

I am in...what time? I will be on Live.

So you know the Down But Not Out achievement or whatever it's called? How does that work? Can you pull the "pin" on a grenade while down now or something? I can't figure it out. I also noticed Martyr listed as a stat on the Gears 2 page. Can anyone explain?

Aladuf

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Whose avatar is that on the far left? (in the black monkey t shirt) because he has pretty much the exact same avatar as me :lol

I still don't think I've managed to play with any Gaffers :(
I've got a guy called teh 1337 h4x on my list who I've played with a few times, but I'm not sure if he's from GAF or not, I should probably ask him :lol
That guy on the left is birdman, he's a GAFer and I totally noticed that you two have basically the same avatar last night. :lol

Also, that guy "teh 1337 h4x" is a GAFer too, he's on my friends list also.. I'm pretty sure he's a Junior Member that barely posts on here though.

ToyMachine228 said:
So you know the Down But Not Out achievement or whatever it's called? How does that work? Can you pull the "pin" on a grenade while down now or something? I can't figure it out. I also noticed Martyr listed as a stat on the Gears 2 page. Can anyone explain?
You have to whip out the grenade (instead of holding a regular weapon) before you're downed. Then you can press the right trigger to detonate it, as long as nobody really killed you.

Penguin

Aladuf said:
That guy on the left is birdman, he's a GAFer and I totally noticed that you two have basically the same avatar last night. :lol

Also, that guy "teh 1337 h4x" is a GAFer too, he's on my friends list also.. I'm pretty sure he's a Junior Member that barely posts on here though.

the whole party thing scared me.

First thing I saw when I really used NXE was you, renwood and your whole party just waving at me. I was thinking to myself... I don't have any of these people on my friend's list.

Then I realized parties were different than friend's list, but still very confused.

Well now I need to find my final execution and the final stage I haven't won on yet.

MicVlaD said:
You have to whip out the grenade (instead of holding a regular weapon) before you're downed. Then you can press the right trigger to detonate it, as long as nobody really killed you.

Thank you sir. I'm going to have to give that a try sometime.

Matchmaking is finally working for me. I could really use some people to play with because I don't have too many friends who come online often. My gamertag is the same as my GAF name.

I love the game mechanics of Gears, but I hate the community, so I would love to have a good group of people to play with.

FutureZombie said:
I love the game mechanics of Gears, but I hate the community, so I would love to have a good group of people to play with.

Same here. Hoarde is magical when you get a functioning team instead of 12 year olds. There can only be one 12 year old in my team and that's me! I added you BTW.

My roommate and I seem to get this glitch that I've seen no one else mention. Happens when you spawn. Anyway, it basically means you can shoot, but your bullets don't register, and your ammo counter doesn't drop. It sucks. You cannon fodder. You can't even chainsaw. I don't know what causes it, but it really kills your momentum when it happens.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Does anyone have all the collectibles?

I need ONE more, and it just isn't there. It's on Act 4, chapter 5 and called
the Trinity of Worms Artifact, you get it by choosing the upper path and it's at the end of the hall at the bottom of the stairs.
I've seen videos of people getting it, so it should be there...I co-oped with someone who didn't have it and it wasn't there for him either, what the hell.

Disregard this, I suck.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
ToyMachine228 said:
My roommate and I seem to get this glitch that I've seen no one else mention. Happens when you spawn. Anyway, it basically means you can shoot, but your bullets don't register, and your ammo counter doesn't drop. It sucks. You cannon fodder. You can't even chainsaw. I don't know what causes it, but it really kills your momentum when it happens.

It has happened to me a few times but I just say its due to lag.

Oakcliff

Finally got matched up with a good group in Horde. We went all the way to level 50, but half way through we all died. Almost had it.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
nakedsushi said:
Same here. Hoarde is magical when you get a functioning team instead of 12 year olds. There can only be one 12 year old in my team and that's me! I added you BTW.

I hear ya on that. I had some kid get upset at me because I picked up a weapon he wanted. After that he kinda just ran and did his own thing away from the team. Even didn't revive me when i was right next to him.

Not a Jellyfish said:
It has happened to me a few times but I just say its due to lag.

Well it could be lag, but if it's a respawn game type, when you do and respawn your fine. It only happens on certain spawns. Which makes me think it's some sort of actual glitch, not just lag. But who knows.

I'm definitely down to play Horde. I want to get a good group. I haven't really had one yet. I have a roommate who may want to join as well.

GT: RyoGCH

Baker

Banned
kaizoku said:

Yes please. I haven't played Horde since our last Insane run almost two weeks ago.

What time do you want to play?

striKeVillain! said:
I want to play some Horde on River with some GAFers. Anyone going to be playing tonight?

GT: Strikevillain.

Again, yes. I'm friends with both of you already (me = Forensick), so let's get this thing goin'.

Penguin

Oh reminds me of a random glitch got last night in Avalanche.

I picked up the mortar and couldn't move afterwards. I couldn't fire the weapon or drop it or do anything.

finally, the other team threw a smoke that knocked me down and allowed me to gain control of my character again.

kaizoku

anyone besides me and strikevillain around? I have like 3 people from my friends list playing gears

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I am up for any kind of MP.

GT: pankaksreborn

clav

I'm so disappointed at the competitive online mode in this game.

The game is still broken. Slow matchmaking. Host has shot advantage. I still see delays in my shotgun that I have to predict where enemies will be moving to get a clean shot. What the fuck.

In some games, the lag brings the action to a standstill, and then I die all of the sudden. Rarely, I run into an issue that I can't pick up weapons.'

Matchmaking doesn't even pair you up correctly with players of equal skill.

Luckily I rented this game from Gamefly. Now, I don't even know if this game was really worth it.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
striKeVillain! said:
Now play it on a 120hz HDTV. :D

I gotta make a random rant about this...

Last night I was at my local Best Buy when i saw this uber-mega smooth movie playing. I really had to stop for a few minutes to notice how smooth it looked compared to a set not far away. Then I read "120hz". I sat on the floor and watched the difference of 120hz to 60hz. Sometimes it's not that noticeable, but most of the time the improvement is there and it's awesome. I wondered myself how awesome would some games look on that (COD4 and Gears 2 popped to mind).

I held off my 52" purchase I was going to make to save more $$$ and buy me a nice 120hz set. Meanwhile I can play on my monitor. Does a kick ass job.

hgplayer1

If anyones looking for people to fill their horde parties send me an invite.

I dont really like the DM modes in multi but Im down for horde any time.

gamertag is hgplayer1

I'd like to get a 5-man party going to make a serious attempt at Horde. I've yet to play it with the intent of finishing it. Invite me if you need someone to fill your party.

GT: RyoGCH

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just read through all the collectibles now, I'm really glad they actually have a reason to pick up now.

Not really a spoiler but it also says the next Carmine's name,
Clay

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I think what's frustrating about the matchmaking is that there's no rhyme or reason to the whole thing. I just wish I knew what to do to make it more efficient. I'm lucky if I get an hour or so to play and I find so much time is taken up just fiddling around trying to find a solution.

Amir0x, Rev 9, NarcissisticJay and I were playing earlier. Sometimes we would find a match immediately, no problems. After returning to the lobby, the next session could take 5 minutes... 10 minutes. Or, for some reason, the actual remote server>finding teamates process would reset over and over again. Jay suggests expanding the list to Player's Choice so maybe we can get in a game quicker (you know, since it basically includes everything). Nope, takes forever. So, we change it to elimination and we get a match in about 3 seconds. WTF? I haven't even talked about the fact that we all lost connection to the host once and our last game just totally lagged out and we were all booted out of the game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
striKeVillain! said:
Now play it on a 120hz HDTV. :D

Yes, because nothing says awesome like inserting frames that aren't really there. It looks super awesome and not at all like a really shitty soap opera.

Edit: I have no problem with 120hz frames that repeat frames twice and just refresh quicker.. but that cinesmooth bullshit processing looks fucking terrible. Every time I go to circuit city they have a giant Sammy panel playing the latest BRD and it looks like shit dipped in more shit and sprinkled in shit.

sorry, I'm a videophile...

I just finished a co-op session with Strider2K99. After hearing some of the stories of hilarious co-op glitches I was kinda disappointed...

Only thing I noticed was inconsistent grenade splash.

LJ11

RSTEIN said:
I think what's frustrating about the matchmaking is that there's no rhyme or reason to the whole thing. I just wish I knew what to do to make it more efficient. I'm lucky if I get an hour or so to play and I find so much time is taken up just fiddling around trying to find a solution.

Amir0x, Rev 9, NarcissisticJay and I were playing earlier. Sometimes we would find a match immediately, no problems. After returning to the lobby, the next session could take 5 minutes... 10 minutes. Or, for some reason, the actual remote server>finding teamates process would reset over and over again. Jay suggests expanding the list to Player's Choice so maybe we can get in a game quicker (you know, since it basically includes everything). Nope, takes forever. So, we change it to elimination and we get a match in about 3 seconds. WTF? I haven't even talked about the fact that we all lost connection to the host once and our last game just totally lagged out and we were all booted out of the game.

Yeah, expanded playlists would help but in the mean time I just reset/cancel matchmaking if it hangs at the "looking for similar rank" stage. When I restart it, I usually find a match in a couple of minutes tops. They need to get on the ball, find a solution but in the short-term this seems like a decent workaround. I play solo a lot and I've never waited more than 5 minutes by restarting matchmaking when it hangs, I would have given up long ago if I had to wait.

Scarecrow

I fear I'm going to miss the boat on Hoard when everyone else will be done with it. Would anyone like to try a run through tonight?

kuYuri

_dementia said:
I just finished a co-op session with Strider2K99. After hearing some of the stories of hilarious co-op glitches I was kinda disappointed...

Only thing I noticed was inconsistent grenade splash.

Yeah, good gaming so far. Hope to continue it soon.

I had a few weird hiccups like my Dom model being invisible at the beginning, but otherwise, nothing too bad.

EDIT: If anyone is playing Horde tonight, add me and let me know here.

Top Bottom