• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:
ME. Added you.

you and Affluenza seem like the only regular UK players I know. cedeo is UK but he doesn't seem to frequent the gaming forums and I've only played with him once.

I'm in Amsterdam so only got an hour on you guys and looking to play some matches! Add

armedcatfish

if you guys wanna play. I've only put a few hours in and beat gears 1 campaign, generally pretty competent gamer and OK at gears/improving. Loving the horde mode. add me if you guys want to play.

Baker

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
You have to complete the campaign to unlock it...

EDIT:

Someone told the rankings for MP is this true.

There are only 5 ranks and ranking up is based purely on wins. When you enter a match the game assesses which team is most likely to win based on the ranks of the players. If you win on a team deemed unlikely to do so you move closer to promotion that you would have on an superior team in terms of rank. Works the same way with losses, go down after a loss, more so if you're on a highly ranked team, less so if you're on the inferior team.

True or wrong?

I'm still at a complete loss over ranking. After a match a few days ago, I was at Rank 3. Once we got to the lobby for the next game, I was back at Rank 2. Been there ever since.

I think I'm ready to jump on the "Nerf Smokes" bandwagon. If it was an obscure tactic, that'd be one thing. But everyone uses it, and it's hurting the game. Gears of War multiplayer is supposed to be team-based. For example on Blood Drive, when both teams rush the Torque Bow/Sniper spawn, the team that covers the guy trying to get to the weapon best should ideally get the weapon. The team that uses the most teamwork. Instead both teams rush down the stairs, smokes flying everywhere knocking each other down while maybe one or two lucky people roadie run to the weapon or two the other side, Shotgun out and blow everyone in half while they're down. It's the rush and bust gameplay that dominated Gears of War, that Gears 2 is trying to eliminate.

I think the best solution is simple...Just don't spawn people with Smoke Grenades. Take them out of competitive multiplayer altogether. They're removal will create more teamwork right off the bat, and reduce camping as well.

Make it happen Epic.

DoomGyver

I think they just need to remove the stun/ragdoll effect from the smokes. I used the smokes all of the time in Gears 1 when the 'smokes' actually gave you cover. The smoke from these only lasts 5 seconds, it's dumb.

-Remove the stun
+more Smoke/length of time it provides cover

I wouldn't mind if they removed wall tagging all together also, or at least give more of a warning so I have a chance to jump away before getting blown to bits.

Baker

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I think I'm ready to jump on the "Nerf Smokes" bandwagon. If it was an obscure tactic, that'd be one thing. But everyone uses it, and it's hurting the game. Gears of War multiplayer is supposed to be team-based. For example on Blood Drive, when both teams rush the Torque Bow/Sniper spawn, the team that covers the guy trying to get to the weapon best should ideally get the weapon. The team that uses the most teamwork. Instead both teams rush down the stairs, smokes flying everywhere knocking each other down while maybe one or two lucky people roadie run to the weapon or two the other side, Shotgun out and blow everyone in half while they're down. It's the rush and bust gameplay that dominated Gears of War, that Gears 2 is trying to eliminate.

I think the best solution is simple...Just don't spawn people with Smoke Grenades. Take them out of competitive multiplayer altogether. They're removal will create more teamwork right off the bat, and reduce camping as well.

Make it happen Epic.

I really don't see what the big deal is.

1. Everyone only starts with one grenade.

2. If everyone is rushing a certain area, you know, maybe don't go there?

3. If everyone is just spamming grenades at an area you are in, you know, maybe just hold back for two seconds?

I'm not trying to sound like a dick or anything. I've just played a lot of Gears 2 online and grenades are way down on the list of things I would choose to complain about.

Full Recovery said:
I wouldn't mind if they removed wall tagging all together also, or at least give more of a warning so I have a chance to jump away before getting blown to bits.

Wall tagging is probably my favorite addition. For example: Does some asshole always go for the boom shot in River and try and flank you? Smack a grenade on the sandbags at the top of the stairs and the dumbass will blow up every time.

1. It's hilarious.

2. I still consider it strategy because you're predetermining where your opponents are going to be.

Mohonky

I'm hoping for a local search filter option. Every game should have this as far as I'm concerned. I'm sick of paying for Live and getting stuck in rooms with hosts on the other side of the globe and just lagging to the shit all the time. After playing COD5 and knowing I could get an Aussie room everytime made it impossible for me to even consider playing Gears 2.

Unless developers start implementing a local search only filter, I'm not going to bother with multiplayer. This match making bullshit where you can't even select a room to join based on ping is a waste of time for users outside of Europe or the US.

Baker said:
Wall tagging is probably my favorite addition. For example: Does some asshole always go for the boom shot in River and try and flank you? Smack a grenade on the sandbags at the top of the stairs and the dumbass will blow up every time.

1. It's hilarious.

2. I still consider it strategy because you're predetermining where your opponents are going to be.

Agreed. But his point was that there should be a bit more warning before they explode. As of now, the explosion is basically instant. I say make the warning time closer to the claymores in COD4.

Scarecrow

Full Recovery said:
I think they just need to remove the stun/ragdoll effect from the smokes. I used the smokes all of the time in Gears 1 when the 'smokes' actually gave you cover. The smoke from these only lasts 5 seconds, it's dumb.

-Remove the stun

I kind of like the stun effect. Smokes were virtually useless in Gears1. Most would replace them with frags as fast as possible. Perhaps if the stun was a little shorter, it'd be perfect.

clav

ToyMachine228 said:
Gears 2 isn't even half as buggy at launch as the original Gears still is. Epic will patch up most of the problems and things will be peachy. There were certain things in the original Gears that were never fixed, that Epic eliminated from the get-go in Gears 2. Like host advantage, bullet lag, that roadie running backwards and shotgunning thing...

That said there are some bugs that need to be taken care of, and I'm confident Epic will get a patch out to us for a smoother Gears 2 gameplay experience.
Have you played any of the deathmatch games? They are laggy and buggy as hell. Hell, it's probably the same kind of lag experienced in the first one.

They only added stopping power to make it seem like they improved on it, but the host advantage shit is still there. Bullet lag is also still there. One time in sudden death, I defeated a guy who came around the corner of a pillar in blood drive. However, I only killed him because I predicted his movements. I decided to shoot him 1.5 seconds before he ran to the pillar.

You won't notice this playing Horde or Campaign.

DiddyBop

how can i tell which act/chapter im on? im pretty sure the first gears told you,but this one doesnt. anyways i just
got swallowed by the giant worm
. which act and chapter is that?

clav

DiddyBop said:
how can i tell which act/chapter im on? im pretty sure the first gears told you,but this one doesnt. anyways i just
got swallowed by the giant worm
. which act and chapter is that?
Select your save and hit X in the save menu or you can try making a new game and say you want to start from a specific chapter.

jdub03

Full Recovery said:

-Remove the stun

Pro tip #182847: Roadie run into an area you know someone sticks grenades and back flip. I always set them off this way. It works every time because people are so obvious in where they put them. If your always aware of your surrounding you should be good. It's very rare that I get smoked or grenade exploded.

JimiNutz

Banned
kaizoku said:
ME. Added you.

you and Affluenza seem like the only regular UK players I know. cedeo is UK but he doesn't seem to frequent the gaming forums and I've only played with him once.

I'm up for some horde action tonight.

Would be up for that insane horde thing eventually, but I imagine most of you will be playing at inconvenient times for me.

catfish said:
I'm in Amsterdam so only got an hour on you guys and looking to play some matches! Add

armedcatfish

if you guys wanna play. I've only put a few hours in and beat gears 1 campaign, generally pretty competent gamer and OK at gears/improving. Loving the horde mode. add me if you guys want to play.

Chinner said:
Oh. I'm a UK gaffer and I'm on pretty much every night.. Gamertag is El Leone.

OK so with me Affluenza and you three guys we've got a party of 5 :D
Hopefully we can get some games in.
I'm not sure if I'll be on tonight but I'll be on most of Sat/Sun for sure.

Morph-0

Shogmaster said:
I wasn't shooting the ground against the host team in the first Gears. And I had the option to host games in Live. This is WAAAAAAAY shittier than 1 in the first couple of months of the game's release for us vs MP lovers. I had tons of fun, even with the host ping advantage. This shotgun/Boomshot shooting the ground w/o LT BS is beyond fucked up.

This new form of host advantage is way fucking worse than trying to compensate for ping.

shogmaster is right, HDF did they manage to ship this game with this flaw.

I wont even discuss the Dyson twin cyclone engine factor, stopping power - what stopping power? Match making that is designed to accommodate the preparation of a cup of tea and sandwich. Stun grenades that ensures you are out longer than it takes a WCW wrestler to pin his opponent. Proximity grenade cheapness give you no chance at all to even attempt an escape I still wonder why they even gave them the 3 bleep sound effect.

fix this shit Epic and there might actually be some skill involved in playing Gears 2.

Morph-0

jdub03 said:
Pro tip #182847: Roadie run into an area you know someone sticks grenades and back flip. I always set them off this way. It works every time because people are so obvious in where they put them. If your always aware of your surrounding you should be good. It's very rare that I get smoked or grenade exploded.

could this be salvation for one of the problems, I'll have to try this out..

Baker said:
Wall tagging is probably my favorite addition.

1. It's hilarious.

If anything, wall tagging is one of the worst new additions to the gameplay. Nothing like having to hang on the outside steps of Blood Drive because some asshole likes to whore grenades and barricade himself in that little corridor. Want to flank? Forget it, because the other entrance is tagged as well. There's no strategy involved when it comes to planting grenades all around you to just sit and camp.

Baker

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
If anything, wall tagging is one of the worst new additions to the gameplay. Nothing like having to hang on the outside steps of Blood Drive because some asshole likes to whore grenades and barricade himself in that little corridor. Want to flank? Forget it, because the other entrance is tagged as well. There's no strategy involved when it comes to planting grenades all around you to just sit and camp.

You can shoot down tagged grenades, or throw your own grenade in there to set them off.

But yeah, just because I think it's cool doesn't mean other people can't figure out ways to ruin it.

JB1981

I pretty much hate the multiplayer. It's all about who knows the maps and can make a mad dash for the power weapons. There is perceptible lag. The smoke grenades absolutely kill the pace of the game. The new maps aren't nearly as memorable as those in the original and the matchmaking with a group of 4 is terrible. We had very long waits last night with a group of 4.

The more and more I reflect on games like COD 4 and Halo 3, I think they are tons better than Gears.

Baker

Banned
JB1981 said:
I pretty much hate the multiplayer. It's all about who knows the maps...

Yeah. It really pisses me off when people who play the game more end up better than me somehow.

Must be magic.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JB1981 said:
The more and more I reflect on games like COD 4 and Halo 3, I think they are tons better than Gears.

The execution of CoD4 and Halo 3 are MILES ahead of Gears 2. In fact when you think about the ranking system, perks and gametypes of Cod4 or the movie system and Forge of Halo 3, there's almost a generational gap between them and Gears 2.

HOWEVER.

I think the core gameplay of Gears is miles ahead of those two games. I've been doing the FPS thing for 10 years. Sure, CoD4 and Halo 3 are at the pinnacle of FPSs. But there's a reason why I traded them in after several months. I got bored. Gears is still so fresh and different. Nothing gets my adrenaline going like Gears. That's why, despite the headaches I get when the matchmaking system doesn't work, Gears 2 is my go to game. It says a lot about a game that I think about playing it when I'm at work even tho its multiplayer at this point is close to being broken.

Baker said:
You can shoot down tagged grenades, or throw your own grenade in there to set them off.

But yeah, just because I think it's cool doesn't mean other people can't figure out ways to ruin it.
You can shoot grenades? Wat?

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
RSTEIN said:
The execution of CoD4 and Halo 3 are MILES ahead of Gears 2. In fact when you think about the ranking system, perks and gametypes of Cod4 or the movie system and Forge of Halo 3, there's almost a generational gap between them and Gears 2.

HOWEVER.

I think the core gameplay of Gears is miles ahead of those two games. I've been doing the FPS thing for 10 years. Sure, CoD4 and Halo 3 are at the pinnacle of FPSs. But there's a reason why I traded them in after several months. I got bored. Gears is still so fresh and different. Nothing gets my adrenaline going like Gears. That's why, despite the headaches I get when the matchmaking system doesn't work, Gears 2 is my go to game. It says a lot about a game that I think about playing it when I'm at work even tho its multiplayer at this point is close to being broken.

Also, Gears is way more badass.

I guess the added 'Wat?' wasn't enough to get across that I was joking. Some people tag the walls in tough spots to get a shot at, plus half the time your smoke grenade does nothing.

Baker

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
I guess the added 'Wat?' wasn't enough to get across that I was joking. Some people tag the walls in tough spots to get a shot at, plus half the time your smoke grenade does nothing.

I dunno then. I'd probably just call him a wuss in the end game lobby, give him negative player feedback, then attempt to get on with my life (meaning I'd be pissed for the rest of the night :D ).

It's an online game with however many hundred of thousands people playing. You always have a chance to run into cowardly campers, teammates who watch you bleed out while you're crawling into their feet, don't move from spawn until the rest of the team is dead, don't know A roadie runs, etc.

Proc

So is the general consensus swaying to not playing this online very much aside from horde and co-op? I've rented and finished the campaign..I was thinking of heading out today to grab it for the multi-player because Canadian superstore has it on for $49. Do you guys think a lot of these problems will be fixed?

Gig

_dementia said:
hey Gig I've never played a match of Gears2 with you and the game's been out two weeks :(
FR sent.

Yeah, that's probably because I have played very little mutliplayer, I Co-op and Horde have consumed most of my Gears 2 sessions.

Baker

Banned
Proc said:
So is the general consensus swaying to not playing this online very much aside from horde and co-op? I've rented and finished the campaign..I was thinking of heading out today to grab it for the multi-player because Canadian superstore has it on for $49. Do you guys think a lot of these problems will be fixed?

I still have a blast online. If you don't want to even mess with it, fill your friends list with gaffers and you'll be good to go.

On the flipside, Horde is so fucking awesome you probably won't want to play other modes anyways.

Baker said:
I dunno then. I'd probably just call him a wuss in the end game lobby, give him negative player feedback, then attempt to get on with my life (meaning I'd be pissed for the rest of the night :D ).

It's an online game with however many hundred of thousands people playing. You always have a chance to run into cowardly campers, teammates who watch you bleed out while you're crawling into their feet, don't move from spawn until the rest of the team is dead, don't know A roadie runs, etc.
That shit would piss me off to no end with Gears 1. I guess I just hate wall tagging because someone can just place a random frag in the ground and when you're blown to bits it just feels like the cheapest way to get a kill.

Mrbob

Proc said:

Horde is cool. How much do you like it?

I haven't tried the other modes multiplayer modes aside from co op which I ran through the game, but it doesn't sound good. Sad to see Epic isn't the force in online gaming they once used to be.

Man I've shot a ton of bullets at tagged grenades and they didn't go off, are you sure?

Still think it's a bad idea though, you should never punish people who are aggressive, they make the game, not the campers. If you wanna play defensive, you should at least have to shoot people who try and rush you.

All you GAFer's who play together, in the name of science you should try a match without power weapons in the middle. I'd love to hear how that turns out. You can change weapon spawns in private matches right? Just give both teams access to a power weapon like Canals or something.

PedroLumpy said:
Man I've shot a ton of bullets at tagged grenades and they didn't go off, are you sure?

Still think it's a bad idea though, you should never punish people who are aggressive, they make the game, not the campers. If you wanna play defensive, you should at least have to shoot people who try and rush you.

All you GAFer's who play together, in the name of science you should try a match without power weapons in the middle. I'd love to hear how that turns out. You can change weapon spawns in private matches right? Just give both teams access to a power weapon like Canals or something.
I'm sure. I know that usually a Longshot or a Gnasher take them out in one shot, but with a Snub or Lancer/HB it takes a few seconds. Also, we actually have been playing our private matches with no grenades or Mortar. Pavillion is a totally different experience.

ThirdEngine said:
I'm sure. I know that usually a Longshot or a Gnasher take them out in one shot, but with a Snub or Lancer/HB it takes a few seconds. Also, we actually have been playing our private matches with no grenades or Mortar. Pavillion is a totally different experience.
Are you going to have one of these matches tonight?
Sounds like fun!

ThirdEngine said:

Good to know, I gave up naturally after trying to shoot several grenades with no success. Misfortunate since plan B was to set it off and quickly jump back, which didn't work either.

Positive, negative, simply different experience? I love this armchair game design quarterbacking stuff, but I do so rarely get to test things out.

_dementia said:
Are you going to have one of these matches tonight?
Sounds like fun!
Yep, we'll usually group up in the Party Chat for a bit then we start about 8-8:30 EST. But the past few nights there have been hardly any GAFers online. I'd love to get 10 of us in a room for a few hours and just have some fun. Public matches can get frustrating after a few games.

Proc

Fuck it, I want to chainsaw people, I'm buying it lol. I'm sure the game's problems will get fixed eventually. When I rented it, I didn't have xbl gold, now I do :).

Snowden

Banned
"God damn asshole whoring 'x'"

"Fucking two-piecing"

"Hey, he weapon-slid!"

"Fucking grenades."

"Yeah, hold down B more, asswipe."

"Fucking campers!"

remember when complaining about stuff that you're likely as guilty as whoever you're addressing, lol

PedroLumpy said:
Positive, negative, simply different experience?
It gives the map so much more breathing room. Afterwards when we played it during matchmaking with the default settings, I realized what a clusterfuck it really is.

Gig

Evonus said:
"God damn asshole whoring 'x'"

"Fucking two-piecing"

"Hey, he weapon-slid!"

"Fucking grenades."

"Yeah, hold down B more, asswipe."

"Fucking campers!"

remember when complaining about stuff that you're likely as guilty as whoever you're addressing, lol

You forgot "fucking active snipe" "host advantage!!"

Snowden

Banned
Gig said:
You forgot "fucking active snipe" "host advantage!!"
Active snipes aren't an issue in multiplayer anymore, and complaints about host advantage have diminished considerably from my experience. The one about turbo controllers is true. Its not my fault I grew up on Track & Field games, damn it.

It really is just so annoying to play with or against people that continuously complain about these things though. I understand the complaints, and many of them are legitimate, but these same people will woop it up when they're the ones two-piecing or grabbing the mortar each round. It's annoying to watch someone play like an asshole and then bitch when they're beaten with the same asshole tactics.

If you have fun doing all these things, accept that other people do too, and for the same reason. God I know I get a grin on my face when I can control a match with mortar fire.

SilentProtagonist said:
:lol Do they even make turbo controllers anymore?

I've seen youtube videos for them. For COD4 at the time, so it was turbo on the right trigger. Making one for the B button doesn't seem unreasonable, so I would imagine there are a few out there. Probably not healthy to go around accusing everyone though. Just blame lag, it's a victimless crime.

ThirdEngine said:
It gives the map so much more breathing room. Afterwards when we played it during matchmaking with the default settings, I realized what a clusterfuck it really is.

Interesting, I always found the centralized style underutilized the maps too. But they did eventually add Annex to help with that. I don't think I ever went to those side buildings with the Hammerbursts on Gridlock before Annex came out.

Top Bottom