• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

TimeLike

Scarecrow said:
neat. I still want to wait (probably futile-y) for a few more volunteers. I'm chargin' some batteries right now so I don't go limp mid fight.

Hey, I'll volunteer for some Horde. When we wanna get started?

GT: TimeLike

whitehawk

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Two very informative videos on the broken shotgun, and it is a glitch.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZXkzDZJY0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLaYhwpGso

Apparently, if you are not on the hosts team your shotgun and Boomshot bullets hit the ground at your feet (during a blindfire), even on system link. But if you come in a close proximity to the host your shotgun bullets shoot perfectly fine.

The only way to correct this is to hold the L trigger and zoom, this fixes your bullet spread.

How the hell this could have ever made it through bug testing is beyond me.

And why on earth am I searching youtube with the UK extension? I'm in the US.
This NEEDS to be fixed.

Also, matchmaking puts me up with players from other countries across the world sometimes.

And sometimes the worst host is picked to be the host. One time, it was so laggy, my camera was watching a teammate from the start. I could shoot since I felt rumble when i pressed R, but i couldn't see myself. Everyone was jumping around and shit. Crazy stuff.

Send me a message if anyone needs a player for multi. I'm on the GAFgow2 tag list so just shoot me a message off that.

Edit: GoTDiGGz
I guess that might be helpful to put in.

You know, I loved Gears of War, but I just can't get into Gears 2. I'm at the
Locust "Palace"
now and I just can't say that I'm having as much fun with SP as I did with the first game. I don't know, maybe it's because there hasn't been much of a story. It's just go to point A, B, C shoot locusts along the way, continue to point D.

I've only gotten to play MP once (Guardian) because I haven't been able to connect to another match.

Not sure, but probably beat the SP, and sell the game for either Call of Duty 5, Resistance 2, Mirror's Edge, or Left 4 Dead.

TTG

The whole underwater lake/gunboat section was awesome. I hope the campaign mode keeps ramping up like this. :D

kuYuri

Scarecrow said:
Wow. That was awesome. I don't know if it happened to anyone else, but my mike went dead at about wave 20.

Haha, I was wondering what was up. Great game!

h3ro said:
Epic Horde run with Strider, PhatSaqs, TimeLock and Scarecrow! 1-50 straight! :lol

That was awesome.

Ah, so you're munkeyhero. Great game man. :D

BTW, everyone I played with tonight I preferred as a player under feedback.

Scarecrow

h3ro said:
Epic Horde run with Strider, PhatSaqs, TimeLock and Scarecrow! 1-50 straight! :lol

That was awesome.
My favorite part had to be near the last quarter. Two of you had set up a wall of two shields that had kept me out of our safe zone. I turned to run to the other side, but then heard the "gate" rise, and was able to run to safety.

Of course, it doesn't sound as cool when typed out.

Kadey said:
Can someone help me properly tag a down opponent with a grenade and grab them before it goes off?
whaa? I didnt realize it was so difficult you needed help - or am I missing something?

Press B, then immediately after press A?

kuYuri

Scarecrow said:
Did everyone elses mike work besides mine?

To be honest, you can't really tell who's speaking in a party, but I remembered you and I believe TimeLike left the party randomly at first, then rejoined.

BTW, it's mic. :p

Scarecrow said:
My favorite part had to be near the last quarter. Two of you had set up a wall of two shields that had kept me out of our safe zone. I turned to run to the other side, but then heard the "gate" rise, and was able to run to safety.

Of course, it doesn't sound as cool when typed out.

I think I remember that actually.

Scarecrow

Strider2K99 said:
To be honest, you can't really tell who's speaking in a party, but I remembered you and I believe TimeLike left the party randomly at first, then rejoined.

BTW, it's mic. :p

I think I remember that actually.
Yeah, I got strange messages that everyone was dropping out of the party. Then I realized no one was saying anything. I kept trying to plug in and out my mic but I couldn't get back in touch. I bet some serious strategizing was going on that I couldn't hear (such as everyone picking up a shield at once).

Blablurn

I just finished the game and it was sooo awesome! Truly one of the best games of the year. This is what i want from this generation - BIG ENTERTAINMENT. And Gears 2 delivered!

kuYuri

Scarecrow said:
Yeah, I got strange messages that everyone was dropping out of the party. Then I realized no one was saying anything. I kept trying to plug in and out my mic but I couldn't get back in touch. I bet some serious strategizing was going on that I couldn't hear (such as everyone picking up a shield at once).

Yeah, especially for last ten waves, we tried to make sure as much as possible to use shields to block that area and slow them down. But yeah, no biggie, we did it.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Sorry to not join in last night guys, it was past 1am for me when you guys started inviting me and by then I had decided to go to sleep. Unfortunately I couldn't tear myself away from Portal for like 4 hours >_< That game rocks. I kept thinking "just a bit more"

I'm gonna feel it soon though, 3 hours sleep or so >_< so glad its friday.

h3ro - you guys did 1-50 in one run? How long did it take? what difficulty was it??

observation from gears 2, maybe I'm hanging around in different circles at different times now, but there's a lot less people playing gears as religiously as gears 1. i have 100 people on my list who are meant to be mostly gears 2 players, but usually the max playing gears 2 is like 8.

definite danger of gears mp not picking up the same steam gears 1 did if epic don't fix this crap.

Diablohead said:
After seeing things like this i'm glad I have to wait until dec 25th to play new games, the generation of game patching helps me save launch day cash :)

*edit* wow the gears community is odd, people are defending this problem as lag or "shotgun points downwards in blind fire anyway" :lol :lol

yeah its really poor and doesn't help the devs. guys you can love the game, but DONT make excuses for it.

I'm as die hard a gears fan as they come. I could probably play nothing but gears MP all year round, and I almost did with gears 1 while I was unemployed!

But I am quite close to being fed up with the MP here. Joined a wingman game, my patrner dies and leaves in 10 seconds.

Joined an execution game, my team splits into 2 and the other team rushes out, throws smokes towards us, doesn't hit us but we have to break for cover or whatever, the other team just charges in with chainsaws. Killed us all in 20 seconds.

:( Not fun.

Does gears 2 have the ability to quit out mid match by pausing the game and selecting exit like in gears 1 and halo 2-3?

It's the worse thing any dev can add to a multiplayer game, it's a short cut to bailing out.

F#A#Oo

Banned
The matchmaking has definately improved ALOT over the past few days.

I also found that my friend who has connection problems if he is host we'll be waiting 10 minutes or so in the lobby.

Where as if I host within a couple of minutes max we're in a game...

Diablohead said:
Does gears 2 have the ability to quit out mid match by pausing the game and selecting exit like in gears 1 and halo 2-3?

It's the worse thing any dev can add to a multiplayer game, it's a short cut to bailing out.

No it doesn't...but people quit out anyways. Guardian popped up lastnight a group of 3 people let leaving me and my friend alone. :D iirc people who leave get penalised though I'm not sure how.

TimeLike

Scarecrow said:

I had to bring up the guide and manually rejoin the party so I could hear everyone again. Great times we had!

F#A#Oo said:
No it doesn't...but people quit out anyways. Guardian popped up lastnight a group of 3 people let leaving me and my friend alone. :D iirc people who leave get penalised though I'm not sure how.
What a pain in the arse, it's something that I find real annoying in gears and halo.

I'd love to see some sort of punishment for bailing out of an online game, I can understand sometimes your internet might die out or a power cut happens but is there was a penalty of not being able to join an online game again for 30 minutes or something maybe it would help... a little.

When halo 3 came out I thought that matchmaking would somehow detect if you quit and pair you up with other quitters while players who stay get paid up more with players without a quit record, but I don't think that ever happens. I must have heard the concept from something online that made me think it existed.

JimiNutz

Banned
Tomcat said:
Has anyone seen this?

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=637973

Major glitch if its true. :(

I knew about the glitch, and new that you had to manually aim to correct it, but I didn't think about the fact that I may have been letting go of the L trigger a fraction of a second before I hit the R trigger.

For example I'm in a shotgun battle. I tend to roughly aim from the hip to get the shotgun in the direction of the player, I then quickly hit L to make sure it's not gonna glitch and hit the floor, then hit R to fire and roll to the next position. Despite this I was still not getting the desired results and it must be because every now and then in the heat of the battle I let go of L a fraction of a second before I hit R, and bam it's shooting at the floor instead of the place that it's supposed to!

I had this glitch coupled with unbearable lag in a game of Guardian last night. I would shoot the shotgun and then a good second or two afterwards it would actually register the shot on my ammo counter. It was fucking ridiculous and made the game unplayable for me (coupled with the shotgun glitch.) I should have quit out but didn't want to leave my team mates a man down so ended up going like 4-16 (my worst game ever) :lol

It's got to the point where if I'm playing anything other than Horde, I'll only play on Live if I'm in a party of 5 and they're all British (because then it's very likely we'll get host and the game won't be a laggy, glitchy mess.) It's a real shame because I love being able to play with North Americans and other Europeans in other games, but in Gears it makes the game pretty much unplayable 80% of the time. Hopefully they fix this shit soon.

Which reminds me, do many of UK GAF play Gears? I know US GAF get together regularly to play and it would be nice if we could do the same.

F#A#Oo

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Which reminds me, do many of UK GAF play Gears? I know US GAF get together regularly to play and it would be nice if we could do the same.

Yes...GT: Mr Affluenza

I tend to play with the Americans...since I work during the day and can only play during the evenings/nights/mornings.

JimiNutz

Banned
F#A#Oo said:
Yes...GT: Mr Affluenza

I tend to play with the Americans...since I work during the day and can only play during the evenings/nights/mornings.

I'm the same I usually play evenings on the weekdays (say 8-11) and then mostly during weekends. I've got a couple guys that I play with not from GAF but they're all still students and play stupid hours (like 11-4am) :lol

It would be cool if we could get a group of us together here on GAF for some regular matches.

I need a couple serious players for Horde mode. I've got myself and two other guys that play together regularly. We want to do all 50 waves of Horde on Insane. The goal will be to do something like a couple hours a night until we have made it through all of them. Maybe not every night in a row, but a good bit. We want to get a steady team of 5 that will all know the map, know eachother's strengths, and build on that.

If you are interested, add me. Gamertag: Uno Ill Nino

JimiNutz

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:
I need a couple serious players for Horde mode. I've got myself and two other guys that play together regularly. We want to do all 50 waves of Horde on Insane. The goal will be to do something like a couple hours a night until we have made it through all of them. Maybe not every night in a row, but a good bit. We want to get a steady team of 5 that will all know the map, know eachother's strengths, and build on that.

I'll be up for giving it a go. I've barely touched Horde so far. What sort of time will you guys be playing, and which time zone are you in?

They should rename the game GOW2: Horde and SP edition and give us half of our money back until they fix the buggy ass hell vs MP. WTF, Epic. WTF...

Shogmaster said:
They should rename the game GOW2: Horde and SP edition and give us half of our money back until they fix t
he buggy ass hell vs MP. WTF, Epic. WTF...

Gears 2 isn't even half as buggy at launch as the original Gears still is. Epic will patch up most of the problems and things will be peachy. There were certain things in the original Gears that were never fixed, that Epic eliminated from the get-go in Gears 2. Like host advantage, bullet lag, that roadie running backwards and shotgunning thing...

That said there are some bugs that need to be taken care of, and I'm confident Epic will get a patch out to us for a smoother Gears 2 gameplay experience.

ToyMachine228 said:
Gears 2 isn't even half as buggy at launch as the original Gears still is.

I wasn't shooting the ground against the host team in the first Gears. And I had the option to host games in Live. This is WAAAAAAAY shittier than 1 in the first couple of months of the game's release for us vs MP lovers. I had tons of fun, even with the host ping advantage. This shotgun/Boomshot shooting the ground w/o LT BS is beyond fucked up.

Epic will patch up most of the problems and things will be peachy. There were certain things in the original Gears that were never fixed, that Epic eliminated from the get-go in Gears 2. Like host advantage, bullet lag, that roadie running backwards and shotgunning thing...

That said there are some bugs that need to be taken care of, and I'm confident Epic will get a patch out to us for a smoother Gears 2 gameplay experience.

This new form of host advantage is way fucking worse than trying to compensate for ping.

Baker

Banned
Uno Ill Nino said:

Sign me up. I just came in here to post that I wanted to get a serious team set up (hopefully for tonight).

So yeah, the moral of the story is: Friday night + Horde = Who wants some?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
oh god. my newbness is showing.

what's this 'couple of levels a night' thing for horde?

I thought you just had to play till everybody died. It's been taking me frikin hours. Also didn't know there was an insane setting.

F#A#Oo

Banned
catfish said:
Also didn't know there was an insane setting.

You have to complete the campaign to unlock it...

EDIT:

Someone told the rankings for MP is this true.

There are only 5 ranks and ranking up is based purely on wins. When you enter a match the game assesses which team is most likely to win based on the ranks of the players. If you win on a team deemed unlikely to do so you move closer to promotion that you would have on an superior team in terms of rank. Works the same way with losses, go down after a loss, more so if you're on a highly ranked team, less so if you're on the inferior team.

True or wrong?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Anyone ever looking for Horde partners just send me an invite. Regardless of what im playing i'm stoppin for some horde! (unless the kid is netflixing Wiggles....)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
NutJobJim said:

ME. Added you.

you and Affluenza seem like the only regular UK players I know. cedeo is UK but he doesn't seem to frequent the gaming forums and I've only played with him once.

I'm up for some horde action tonight.

Would be up for that insane horde thing eventually, but I imagine most of you will be playing at inconvenient times for me.

Top Bottom