• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Gears is starting to leave my heart somewhat guys...I'm sorry :(

I'll probably be forced to return to it after I go through Mirrors Edge, CoD:WAW and all the other fall titles though.

For now I'm just kind of bored. Not sure what it is.

Zoltrix

Man, my friend is going to be so pissed. He actually paid 10 extra bucks just for the gold lancer :lol The same thing happened with one of the map packs he bought for Gears 1 that soon after became free.

Do you think it's a mistake though that they're offering it for free so close to launch?

zsswimmer

I get status code 80070570 when I try to download the Gold-Plated Lancer, it says Cannot download item.

Anyone else have this problem?

Free gold lancer, and i'm yet to buy the game :D

zsswimmer said:
I get status code 80070570 when I try to download the Gold-Plated Lancer, it says Cannot download item.

Anyone else have this problem?
All I have done is placed the order on the website, it says i've brought it etc but can't download it since my 360 is in repair. Maybe i'm not as lucky as I thought.

Just checked out the Stats section at the official Gears site. Sure, it's not as detailed as Bungie.net but it gets the job done. It has some cool things like time spent in cover/time spent roadie running (both about four hours each for me). The individual game history is broken down decently:

untitled.jpg

Sorry to hear about that FaZe. Gears is probably the only game that I will never get bored with.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
gutted last night, 5 of us played horde hardcore mode and went from wave 1 to 49! but we lost a man and we just couldnt clear that blasted 49.

hope to give it another shot soon.

wonder if I'll ever get bored of horde mode. once you get the achievement, there's 50 waves of insane I want to do, plus you could always try it on other maps and get a different flavour.

I should probably start Fallout 3 at some stage though!

Scarecrow

where do i go on the dashboard to "activate" the download?

never mind, it apparently already downloaded.

It's kind of funny. I sold my original code on ebay.

Zezboob

When you download the gold Lancer, you still can use the normal one, right ?

(I don't really like the gold Lancer but if it's optional I will download it :D)

Snowden

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Maybe the fact that for the fine-tuning, new maps/modes, and alternations, at the core, its the same game you've been able to play for over two years? That should be what you expect from a sequel, too, and I think its a disservice to reinvent a game while keeping the same brand name on the box. But it is what it is. I've played the first Gears of War off-and-on (mostly on) since November of 2006, and by the late summer of this year, I was finally, finally starting to grow tired of it, and I began to get really excited for the next game, and what it would bring to the table.

And when Gears of War 2 released, it was exciting and it did feel new. It delivered, especially for those fans that didn't play the original so far past its release. For the people that played Gears 1 multiplayer for a few months and then went on to other experiences, revisiting the Gears of War gameplay with all the tweaks in this game is fantastic.

For me, now that the new game smell has begun to wear off and it gets back to business as usual*, albeit an expanded business with the aforementioned additions, I realize that I'm still kind of tired of it; not because of the things that have changed from Gears 1, but because of what hasn't. And what hasn't changed is that awesome stop 'n pop game of cover-hopping that I love. Its not something you can change, or else it wouldn't be Gears of War anymore.

I still play, because its an ingrained thing for me, and nothing has come along to replace it in my "multiplayer game I'm pretty good at and like to play for a little bit every day" niche. But I'm feeling a lot more open to a replacement now, and expect something will show up sooner than later. I don't think I really expected Gears of War 2 to rekindle the kind of fire that burned for two years with the original, and I don't think that's a fair expectation, either. You can only play a certain kind of game for so long.

*I should note that I'm speaking mainly to competitive multiplayer here. I realize Horde can offer a very different kind of experience. I don't like it as much as some people personally, but I certainly respect what it does and why many are really addicted to it.

h3ro

Amir0x said:
50 waves of insane. I would love to really dig into that shit with some talented players (I really just suck)

I'm on now if you wanna play a little, message me if you're down...

Lkr said:
Wow the golden lancer thing is pissing me off. i fuckin paid $10 for it too!
It doesn't matter to me because personally I didn't buy the Limited Edition just for the Lancer, but because I'm just a huge fan of the franchise in general. The golden guns felt like Epic's way of saying thanks for supporting us, so here's a little bonus gift.

Evonus said:
I still play, because its an ingrained thing for me, and nothing has come along to replace it in my "multiplayer game I'm pretty good at and like to play for a little bit every day" niche. But I'm feeling a lot more open to a replacement now, and expect something will show up sooner than later. I don't think I really expected Gears of War 2 to rekindle the kind of fire that burned for two years with the original, and I don't think that's a fair expectation, either. You can only play a certain kind of game for so long.

Nice post, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Despite the changes, I still feel like its the same experience for the most part, and I'm just looking for something new.

Its still an excellent, excellent title, but me personally I'm just growing somewhat bored. I'm still going to be on it in the future, but I'm actively looking for a replacement at this point.

I think its me more than its the game. I haven't been able to really fall in love with a multiplayer game this gen. Halo 3 arguably has everything I want in a shooter, but after playing so much Halo 1 and 2, I just felt like Halo 3 was to repetitive an experience for me to come back to. Its probably the same thing with Gears 2. I put so many hours into Gears 1 that now that the "new car" smell has kind of worn off I'm just looking for the next big thing.

Killzone 2 is on my radar for now, because it seems to be doing things differently than a lot of shooters. If that happens to fail I'll probably be lost in the woods so to speak for the next year or so regarding shooters.

Kydd BlaZe

Dark FaZe said:
Gears is starting to leave my heart somewhat guys...I'm sorry :(

I'll probably be forced to return to it after I go through Mirrors Edge, CoD:WAW and all the other fall titles though.

Feel the same way, too. =/

Facism

Kydd BlaZe said:
Feel the same way, too. =/

ya it's going back to the shop if the first patch doesn't add any competent way for my bro to play with me as a Guest.

Bullshit omission, Private Games don't cut it if they're not searchable.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finally finished the game(hardcore), and it was a pretty awesome experience overall. Even though there were some frustrating encounters and sections of game, I still enjoyed it very much. I probably wait a little bit until I go back in on Insane.

purg3 said:
Finally finished the game(hardcore), and it was a pretty awesome experience overall. Even though there were some frustrating encounters and sections of game, I still enjoyed it very much. I probably wait a little bit until I go back in on Insane.

Seriously what the fuck with
the giant reaver at the start of act 5. how the fuck do you kill it? the rockets are impossible to hit, and then the turret guy finishes you after the second round of rockets softens you up

Any help?

Also, the gold lancer doesn't work for Australia, I've tried downloading it 4 times already.

BigBoss

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Seriously what the fuck with
the giant reaver at the start of act 5. how the fuck do you kill it? the rockets are impossible to hit, and then the turret guy finishes you after the second round of rockets softens you up

Any help?

Also, the gold lancer doesn't work for Australia, I've tried downloading it 4 times already.

Press the left analog stick to dodge the missles, I didn't get that little control prompt until my third playthrough.

Snowden

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Killzone 2 is on my radar for now, because it seems to be doing things differently than a lot of shooters. If that happens to fail I'll probably be lost in the woods so to speak for the next year or so regarding shooters.
I'm looking forward to trying that out as well. If it doesn't take root though, I suspect I'll drift pack to predominantly single-player games for a while. Before Gears of War, the last multiplayer game I played regularly and long-term was Counter-Strike.

To think about it, I should have seen this coming. I fell out of CS around the time CS:Source released. :lol

unomas

Banned
JB1981 said:
I'm done with multiplayer. Fuck this game.

So are a ton of other people by looking at my friends list. Patch the game EPIC! Too much lag, bad party system, weapon balance is rediculous and even after that I found myself enjoyiing some wingman yesterday and other modes as long as you're in a group of friends. If you're playing with randoms though the game is a chore. They still have a chance to save it with a patch but the backlash is mighty already.

BigBoss said:
Press the left analog stick to dodge the missles, I didn't get that little control prompt until my third playthrough.

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?!

I've died like 10 times already and haven't received that prompt.

Thanks though.

Xevren

JB1981 said:
I'm done with multiplayer. Fuck this game.

You and me both, I play it with some friends sometimes but even then matchmaking loves taking its sweet time. Single player and Horde are amazing but they dropped the ball in multiplayer.

unomas said:
So are a ton of other people by looking at my friends list. Patch the game EPIC! Too much lag, bad party system, weapon balance is rediculous and even after that I found myself enjoyiing some wingman yesterday and other modes as long as you're in a group of friends. If you're playing with randoms though the game is a chore. They still have a chance to save it with a patch but the backlash is mighty already.

Yeah, maybe the game came out too soon.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
so in single player i am on the last chapter and right after
we enter the mansion through different doors
dom has just stopped fighting, in fact enemies just run right by him and completely ignore him. This happen to anybody else?

LJ11

Vagrant said:
No. The multi is supposed to feel like no one play-tested it. Everything is bigger and more badass.

:lol

To paraphrase, I don't want the game to devolve into a giant circle jerk, chainsaws for all! Mash B to win the duel....

Edit: Didn't happen to me GashPrex.

Top Bottom