• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

NutJobJim said:
I've not been playing this game at all for the last 5 or 6 days (been playing Mirrors Edge instead) and it saddens me to admit that I haven't missed the game one little bit :(
I came in here to see if other Gaffers have been having fun with it-hoping that these stories of joy would inspire me to play the game tonight-and instead I see everyone moaning :lol
Poor Gears :(
Hey I am down to play it, hell I payed for it. I just hate playing by myself since everyone I play with are incompetant and it takes 20 minutes to get into a match

kbear

As for the multi-player, the only issue I have is the time it takes to get into a match. All the other stuff you guys pointed out isn't really a big deal to me because the Gears gameplay is so fun and satisfying that I tend to overlook minor issues like those listed above. But goddamn do they have to patch the wait time... it's just that one thing that's killing it for me, otherwise I'd be playing everyday.

I've been forcing myself to play MP lately, and as hard as I'm trying to get into it, it just ain't happening. You guys are right, the game is beta at best. I expect a huge patch, hopefully sooner than later.

Though things like smoke grenades knocking you down, and the ability to tag walls with them, is just a horrible design choice.

Kibbles

Hopefully they'll do a public beta for Gears 3, because obviously the inside tests just aren't working out too well for these things.

skyfinch

bimet said:
Wait for Gears of War 3 guys! I'm sure they'll fix everything and give us a 21st century online multiplayer experience! Change is coming to Gears of War. Believe.

But Cliffy is a Maverick.

JB1981

Full Recovery said:
Since there are too many to list and I'm lazy, I C/Ped this from a post on the Epic forums and changed/added some things.

Multiplayer
-
- Inaccurate Client shotgun and BoomShot- Bullets hitting floor - (Fact)

Holy crap look at how off that is.

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
Full Recovery said:
Problems/Glitches

Multiplayer
- Inaccurate Client shotgun and BoomShot- Bullets hitting floor - (Fact) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ZXkzDZJY0

This is actually not a bug, it was an intentional shotgun tweak. In gears 2 the shotgun was changed such that when NOT aiming (aka firing from the hip), the shot is oriented however the shotgun is pointing during the animation, NOT to the target reticule.

You will notice that as your character walks, the arms move and the gun points up and down slightly with the animation; when you fire without aiming it simply fires however the gun is pointing, straight out of the gun. So yes this often means VERY innaccurate shots. But its not a bug.

You need to aim your shots. This was a good change since before there was almost no advantage to taking the time to aim, the shotgun was almost a good from-the-hip as aimed.

In a nutshell, gears 1 artificially made the shotgun accurate when not aiming, so you would be shooting forward even if your gun was pointing down slightly during the animation. Gears 2 fixes this by forcing you to aim if you want to be effective.

I assume the same is for the boomshot.

DoomGyver

IctusBrucks said:

You couldn't be more wrong. No matter what weapon you use, your bullets should come out of the center of the screen.

Did you even watch the video? The bullets correct themselves once the player is in close proximity to the host.

beaten twice

IctusBrucks said:
This is actually not a bug, it was an intentional shotgun tweak. In gears 2 the shotgun was changed such that when NOT aiming (aka firing from the hip), the shot is oriented however the shotgun is pointing during the animation, NOT to the target reticule.

You will notice that as your character walks, the arms move and the gun points up and down slightly with the animation; when you fire without aiming it simply fires however the gun is pointing, straight out of the gun. So yes this often means VERY innaccurate shots. But its not a bug.

You need to aim your shots. This was a good change since before there was almost no advantage to taking the time to aim, the shotgun was almost a good from-the-hip as aimed.

In a nutshell, gears 1 artificially made the shotgun accurate when not aiming, so you would be shooting forward even if your gun was pointing down slightly during the animation. Gears 2 fixes this by forcing you to aim if you want to be effective.

Beaten several times.

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
It does.

The reason it looks worse for clients is that the bullet lag is severely exxagerating the effect.

In those videos, a guy is aiming about level, and walking forward. Some of the shots go mostly-forward as expected, and the rest hit the ground.

They are not really hitting as downward as the video makes it look, but because the guy is walking forward, and the lag is bad, the player has almost caught up with the shot, if that makes sense.

The host will do the same thing, but since theres 0 lag, the point on the ground where the effect registers is furhter away, and doesn't look as bad.

If you aim up slightly while hip-firing the shotgun (like 10 degrees), it will make the average swing of the shotgun be more centered.

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
Full Recovery said:
You couldn't be more wrong. No matter what weapon you use, your bullets should come out of the center of the screen.

Did you even watch the video? The bullets correct themselves once the player is in close proximity to the host.

beaten twice

Full Recovery , weather it SHOULD be this way is a separate issue.

The fact is that its not a bug, it was an intentional change. You are 100% free to disagree on the grounds that it was better before or whatever.

Proximity to the host won't affect it.

clav

Either way, there's still bullet lag compared to the host. I've played games that I've dominated just using a shotgun without taking cover.

AmMortal

Banned
Haven't played much since i got it, didn't even finish single player.:lol

I'm on the start of act 5 and
can't seem to kill the monster reaver that follows me to the surface. someone help.:(

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
Youre right I saw a different video of the shotgun firing down.

obviously bullet lag wouldn't be much of a factor in system link.

not sure what smh means.

DoomGyver

IctusBrucks said:
Youre right I saw a different video of the shotgun firing down.

obviously bullet lag wouldn't be much of a factor in system link.

not sure what smh means.

glad you found the light.

smh= shaking my head

ChrisGoldstein said:
Aye for Gears of War 2 BETA name change.

They should've put a demo with UT3, they would've sold more UT3 and could've tested out the shit mp.
Well SP and Horde are GOTY material, but apart from that...aye

(or make it Gears of War 2 Multiplayer Beta Thread)

Haven't played much since i got it, didn't even finish single player.
Shoot the turret when the turret shoots at you.

Shoot in his mouth when he tries to eat you.

DODGE the rockets, dont shoot at them. Yes, you can dodge the rockets with the left stick. You actually can move the reaver with the stick all the time.

Repeat one more time.

A lot of people are apparently unaware of the movement option (including myself)

@Full Recovery: nice list, I just jumped through, if it isn't there yet please add:

- Unable to talk with dead people when you're alive, or with alive people when you're dead after a round has finished. Only works after the final round. Worked without problems in the first.

This is soooo annoying, one of the best parts of Gears 1 was hearing people go nuts after you kill them @Sudden Death (or when you're able to kill multiple enemies while being the only survivor on your team) and now it's just dead silence :(

160deg3.jpg

oh god

DoomGyver

^
Don't forget when he grabs ahold of you shoot the arm

edit: awesome photo, too bad he's doing the boomshield/any weapon glitch.

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
Full Recovery said:
glad you found the light.

smh= shaking my head

Well I wouldn't say I found the light, but I believe that there are two separate issues that make it confusing. What I said is true about the change with regard to the hip-firing now being animation based. I'm not saying it SHOULD be that way, but its true.

I suspect there might be a secondary issue relating to being right up close to a wall causing a bad shot. Im not a programmer though.

whitehawk

Banned
IctusBrucks said:

WRONG. Go to 2:00 in on that video. The guy is right up to a wall, and the shotgun is NOT aiming directly down, and the bullet hits the ground.

HokieJoe

Chinner said:
Lag is not fact. Its subjective. I've had like 5 laggy matches since the game has been released. For me the connections of the games have been either really good or pretty acceptable. I'm not saying the game does not suffer from lag, because it does, but saying it is fact makes it appear that everyone 100% suffers from it.

Yeah, it depends on the participants. I had two laggy rooms last night, but it's the only time I've had that problem while playing Horde. My biggest complaint with the game is the matchmaking system. Quite simply, it sucks ass. But not enough to discourage me from wanting to play multiplayer. :)

Why oh why won't more developers (hello, Bizarre, Bungie, and Epic) just implement a system like PGR2 had? It was simple to navigate and allowed one relative ease in finding matches.

IctusBrucks said:

No way, to give defence why would the shotgun become a foward shooting gun when near the host and a floor shooting gun when on the other side of the map? also if gears 1 did get a patch like that it was far from aiming 45 degrees from the way the gun is pointing, I played it enough to understand how the shotgun aimed.

It's broken dude, there is no defence.

IctusBrucks

Neo Member
I had not seen that specific video through. I clicked it and thought it was one I saw previously (assumption = fail).

Being in system link and not running foward to exxagerate the effect makes it a different repro case.

What I said about the hip firing is still true. This will cause hip-fire shots to be much more unpredictable than in gears 1 (which always aimed to the reticule). That was the point of my post and its still true. But I should have watched that video through before assuming it was the same one I saw before.

I do believe there is a separate issue responsible for shots going down when right up against a wall other character and I do hope it gets properly adressed.

Thanks

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This game's netcode is laughable. Once you have played a decent MP game, there is no way you can put up with this shit.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hmm. Here's a new one. I was searching for a Horde match. After waiting for 10 minutes, I see Mr. Affluenza is searching for a match and is joinable. So I leave my Horde matchmaking and join his lobby. We're chilling there for about a minute. He says "So, what do you guys want to pla-" and I'm whisked away to a Horde match! It's as if my previous search hadn't been totally cancelled even tho I joined Mr. Affluenza's party.

Sorry for leaving you! It wasn't intentional!

So I used a 48hr code to try out MP and all I have to say is that the entire thing is shit and broken. It's just laughably bad at how long it takes to get a game going. I then could only play horde as I didn't feel like waiting 5-10 min every time. Once in a while I get lucky and only have to wait 5 min.........

Teknoman

I need to hop back in for some GAF party matches. Dont think i've played anything online since NXE launched. I guess that new "friends playing" option would help.

F#A#Oo

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Hmm. Here's a new one. I was searching for a Horde match. After waiting for 10 minutes, I see Mr. Affluenza is searching for a match and is joinable. So I leave my Horde matchmaking and join his lobby. We're chilling there for about a minute. He says "So, what do you guys want to pla-" and I'm whisked away to a Horde match! It's as if my previous search hadn't been totally cancelled even tho I joined Mr. Affluenza's party.

Sorry for leaving you! It wasn't intentional!

That's cool...:D

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
JB1981 said:
I'm glad I got flamed for going off on the game and now everyone hates it.
:lol

ditto! I got told to "move on" :D like some senile gears 1 player who couldn't adjust and was busy ruining the party for everyone else.

Said it from the start, its not new or different, its flat out broken. I didn't go into detail about every exact thing, but I could sense it in my bones. The bugs and errors they can patch, but they've made some really bad calls in terms of basic game mechanics too and I can't see them fixing those. As I said before, it was tuned for horde mode where the balance is pretty much spot on. I'm kind of surprised none of the press have picked up on this as balance is a really big deal in games like gears, I've seen people talk about the matchmaking on 1up but thats it.

that said, I'd still probably play it everyday if I had enough friends playing it daily to get a good session going. The guys on here play too late for me most nights. I'll take a look at my friends list and realise its not even worth loading the game up. Its a world away from gears 1 when I would look at my friends list, see a couple of joinable games and load up fully expecting to join a game right away. Failing that I could do a quick search, spend a few minutes finding some people who seem decent and play with them for a few hours.

gears 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> gears 2.

Top Bottom