• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

F#A#Oo

Banned
kaizoku said:
ditto! I got told to "move on" :D like some senile gears 1 player who couldn't adjust and was busy ruining the party for everyone else.

Said it from the start, its not new or different, its flat out broken. I didn't go into detail about every exact thing, but I could sense it in my bones. The bugs and errors they can patch, but they've made some really bad calls in terms of basic game mechanics too and I can't see them fixing those. As I said before, it was tuned for horde mode where the balance is pretty much spot on. I'm kind of surprised none of the press have picked up on this as balance is a really big deal in games like gears, I've seen people talk about the matchmaking on 1up but thats it.

that said, I'd still probably play it everyday if I had enough friends playing it daily to get a good session going. The guys on here play too late for me most nights. I'll take a look at my friends list and realise its not even worth loading the game up.

I've been on everynight since launch around 10pm GMT till about 4am...

I agree though...if your in Europe and you want to play with other Gaffers you got to stay up at awkward hours. :lol I just about got use to it...Lucky for me I work afternoons...:D

I'm not that good at Gears (I suck actually) but I still find it fun...the private matches ThirdEngine and Aladuf host for the most part are games where I probably find the most enjoyment...

Aladuf

Banned
Tonight's matches were really fun and relaxing actually. Having a few guys and just going up against some bots on Insane was a good time really, just not having to deal with any douchebags was nice.

Flunkie

Banned
Teknoman said:
I need to hop back in for some GAF party matches. Dont think i've played anything online since NXE launched. I guess that new "friends playing" option would help.
No, you don't. :p

Edit: Relaxing? Tonight? Really?

I played two games and left.

Really?

Anyone want to play Gears 1?

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
No, you don't. :p

Edit: Relaxing? Tonight? Really?

I played two games and left.

Really?

Anyone want to play Gears 1?
Yeah but you're not open to giving the game a chance anymore.

I don't want to play Gears 1 at all, I played last night and it's a goddamn mess compared to Gears 2. Anyone who says different is... strange.

Snowden

Banned
kaizoku said:
Said it from the start, its not new or different, its flat out broken. I didn't go into detail about every exact thing, but I could sense it in my bones.
Don't confuse frustration over unaddressed technical problems with the drum you've been banging.

gkryhewy

Just wanted to say that I absolutely LOVED the campaign. One of the best single player experiences ever - just an amazing game. Only played horde MP so far.

Baker

Banned
I DO NOT LIKE HALO BUT FUCKING PLEASE IMPLEMENT THE HOST CYCLE WHEN ONE OF THEM QUITS!

Fucking three wingman matches in a row, the host threw a hissy fit and quit mid game.

cresto

Baker said:
I DO NOT LIKE HALO BUT FUCKING PLEASE IMPLEMENT THE HOST CYCLE WHEN ONE OF THEM QUITS!

Fucking three wingman matches in a row, the host threw a hissy fit and quit mid game.
how do you know who host is?

Baker

Banned
Hi.

I have played 10 games tonight.

FIVE of them the host quit.

TWO of them were so lagged bullets didn't even come out of my gun.

Aladuf

Banned
bimet said:
The GAF consensus of this game has changed dramatically over the last couple of pages. What happened?
I think a lot of people are really just reaching their breaking point with the MP. Gears 2 may frustrate me at times but I'm still loving the game. :)

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Excellent game. Best single player experience since Mario Galaxy IMO. Seemed pretty easy compared to Gears 1 though. Beat hardcore without much difficulty and I struggled on normal in Gears 1.

Just finished as well. Overall it was a great ride aside from a couple glitches I hit.

The last part was a bit of a disappointment though. Hammer of Dawn and 30 seconds?

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
Yeah but you're not open to giving the game a chance anymore.

I don't want to play Gears 1 at all, I played last night and it's a goddamn mess compared to Gears 2. Anyone who says different is... strange.
It's because the game has become so inaccessible to get into and actually feel like you're having fun. Gears 1 had its problems, but it didn't have near the problems as Gears 2 has from the start.

clav

mgviperman said:
Just finished as well. Overall it was a great ride aside from a couple glitches I hit.

The last part was a bit of a disappointment though. Hammer of Dawn and 30 seconds?
It's not a boss. More like the final cutscene of a movie to complete your objective.

Scenester

Just did it solo on insane... was actually piss easy compared to insane on Gears 1. No RAAM fight did help with that.

But goddamn Im not going to be able to finish Horde solo :( Im totally stuck on wave 49

Anyone else in the same boat? I need horde buddies!

bimet

Scenester said:
Just did it solo on insane... was actually piss easy compared to insane on Gears 1. No RAAM fight did help with that.

But goddamn Im not going to be able to finish Horde solo :( Im totally stuck on wave 49

Anyone else in the same boat? I need horde buddies!

You made it to Wave 49 by yourself? On what difficulty? Even on casual that's...that's
wat
Surely you must have come up with some awesome strategy? And don't any of you fuckers tell me that you've completed Horde sole as well.

Chinner

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Just popped in Gears 2 and got prompted to download a patch.

Matchmaking fix on Turkey day? :D
Enjoy the"CANNOT JOIN THE GAME, THEY ARE RUNNING AN INCOMPATIBLE VERSION" messages.

Chinner

Banned
Some people are speculating that its just a test patch. Due to the announcement message "This is an announcement test for Gears 2 localized to INT"

zaidr

I was matched up 0v5 yesterday...flawless victory! fuck yeah!

anyway, theres a patch that just applied when I started Gears 2 this morning. Any word from Epic?

Edit:
Chinner said:
Some people are speculating that its just a test patch. Due to the announcement message "This is an announcement test for Gears 2 localized to INT"

...so no tangible difference that you can tell?

Chinner

Banned
Kinda.
...so no tangible difference that you can tell?
I haven't played yet brah. I'm just saying what I'm reading from the epic forums. I'm not really a fair example anyway because my lag and matchmaking times are actually good.

Also, my latest news just flashed the "Int" thing but now its back to the original message.

DoomGyver

The only thing I see changed is the "Latest news" addition to the main menu and when you're searching for teammates it no longer goes "SEARCHING... /flash/ "Invite a Friend" /flash/ SEARCHING"

It's now just SEARCHING...

zaidr

Welp...I just went into a 2v5 match. But the connection was really good, as was the time it took me to get into the match...that gotta count for something! :lol

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
New update just came on but not sure what for. I wish it didn't disconnect me and my friend while we were in a co-op single player game. Now my friend and I can't play with each other after the update because Server version outdated error :(

X26

Banned
Haven't played in awhile because of school. Not that I haven't had the time, but the last thing I need when working on papers and projects is the stress and frustration gears 2 MP brings. Has anything fixed or changed yet?

cmon epic, have an "old school" players choice playlist, with no wall tagging, no smoke grenade stuning, no mortar, and 2 power weapons max on a map. Leave meat shields though, at least that's one new feature that didn't completely fuck up the mp, 1 out of 10 aint bad!

Chinner

Banned
Watch out for a guy called "Kumnupsfv". Joined a game of KOTH with 4 people on my team versus 3 on his. He was lag switching us pretty much for a entire game forcing us to use chainsaw and hope that we could get a kill but most of the time we'd be standing still and he would just headsoht us with the shotgun. Luckily for us despite his team being in the lead his teammates got fed up and quit. He continued lagging us for awhile but then gave up and the connection turned into something more acceptable. He tried to lag us at the very last minute but we managed to outnumber and win the game.

kbear

Chinner said:
Watch out for a guy called "Kumnupsfv". Joined a game of KOTH with 4 people on my team versus 3 on his. He was lag switching us pretty much for a entire game forcing us to use chainsaw and hope that we could get a kill but most of the time we'd be standing still and he would just headsoht us with the shotgun. Luckily for us despite his team being in the lead his teammates got fed up and quit. He continued lagging us for awhile but then gave up and the connection turned into something more acceptable. He tried to lag us at the very last minute but we managed to outnumber and win the game.
What is lag switching?

clav

So is this game worth $35?

Already beat the single player. Debating if I want to keep it for multi.

I see there is a patch. I'll post my experiences later today once people get up in the house.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
F#A#Oo said:
That's cool...:D

Yeah, again, I'm sorry. The Horde match I joined only had three other guys. They were noobs so I didn't want to leave them alone ("hey, do you get ranked up when you play Horde?" "How many waves are there?" etc. etc. I got them to level 17 on Security but then one of them lowered the security system and a Bloodmount came in and just obliterated them. I died soon after.

OFFICIAL: Title Update for Gears of War 2 Now Available

Hey all,

I’m happy to announce that this morning, at 3:40 AM PST, we released a title update that should help with the current matchmaking issues. In order to get the update out as quickly as possible, we focused just on immediate infrastructure issues and have left any potential gameplay issues for a future update. Here’s what’s in today’s title update:

* Adjustments to make Public matchmaking faster, especially in the single player party and the four player party case. Some of these adjustments should be felt immediately and some will play out over several days as our update enables us to reduce player segmentation by reducing the number of servers required to do matchmaking. This will increase the number of possible matches available for you to join.

* A tweak that should prevent us from losing some of our additional detailed stats data that we gather for gearsofwar.com. Due to the large number of concurrent matches, our stats gathering servers were not able to collect data for every single match played. The Xbox LIVE leaderboards are 100% accurate but our existing stats web pages may have some missing data prior to the update.

* A fix to address the issue where some players were unable to start the story-based campaign if Xbox LIVE was down or unavailable.

Something to keep in mind, if you have been playing Gears 2 since the title update was made available, then you will need to restart the game in order to be prompted for the update. If you don’t do this, then a situation will occur where people without the update will not be able to match make with people who have the update. This has nothing to do with the game or this update in particular, just the way the title update system works.

We want to thank everyone for their patience during this time and we will continue to monitor the situation. We’re hopeful that the matchmaking issues we’ve seen up till now are a thing of the past.

Thanks,

Rod.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=640626

RSTEIN said:
Awesome Epic! Thanks! Now let's see these gameplay issues addressed!
It took them 20 days to fix this, let's see how long will it take to fix everything else...and I'm pretty certain they'll miss a lot of broken stuff in the next patch.

Aladuf

Banned
Hellraizer said:
It took them 20 days to fix this, let's see how long will it take to fix everything else...and I'm pretty certain they'll miss a lot of broken stuff in the next patch.
This one did take a while but Ron Ferguson said on the Epic forums that to fix matchmaking was going to be really difficult because it was a lot of different factors making it so slow. So maybe this one will be a bit quicker... or maybe not since there's potentially a lot of things they'll have to deal with.

Either way, I'm glad to see there's a patch today. I'll pop in Gears in a little while and see what's up.

Top Bottom