• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

KevinRo

Dax01 said:
Yes, but if it were win ten games of Submission, everyone would be doing what would be best for the team.

The problem for me with Submission is not that it gets vetoed, but it's soooooo hard to capture a meatflag.

The problem is if I pick up the meatshield my teamates cant kill anyone and we lose. If I let them pick up the meatshield we end up winning but I cant get the fucking achievement ughh

Playing with randoms is pissing me off. I'm about to go on a chainsaw rampage again, I hate using it but if I do I go like 20 and 2 everytime shits so stupid.

kaizoku said:
you can get achievements in private or bot matches too? I was under the impression you could for some reason.
You can.

Gears of War campaign thoughts:
Gears of War 2 is here right on schedule for November, but I don't think gamers could be more surprised.

While the original Gears of War was fun it's hard to say it was a well designed game. It played like it was made by a bunch of developers who were much more adjusted to making multiplayer games. The solo campaign was an excuse to throw a bunch of AI with a few gun types around for the player to work their way through. But somehow Epic has managed to move away from this model completely.

So how did they do this? Well it all comes down to variables. While Gears of War 2's core gameplay has strict rules the boundaries to which you use them are constantly being pushed throughout the entire experience. Standard combat now has excellent enemy variety, meaning adaptation is the key to overcoming the odds. You need to prioritize threat levels of enemies constantly based on proximity, new enemies entering the battlefield mid-combat, what cover you have, their relative location to you, and if they're making a push to flank you. These are all variables, and because of this the core combat never feels like a repeat. It helps that the number of ways you have to deal with these situations has been expanded. Movable temporary cover comes in the forms of downed enemies and shields you take from fallen enemies, and the weapon variety has created new ways for combat to actively evolve. Acid grenades force you out if you ever just bunker down in one spot, mortars need to be watched as they go up in the sky that push you laterally or towards indoor areas, and the additions to one-hit-kill/headshot weapons create a greater tension out of cover.

But Epic didn't stop there. They constantly play with how even normal combat works throughout the game, asking players to use their skills in imaginative ways. When the game plunks you down in dark areas you can benefit from using your gun's muzzle flashes to illuminate your enemies. If you find yourself becoming frustrated by the mixture of traps and fast enemies in one section you can try leading the enemies through the traps. The set pieces in Gears of War 2 don't just look pretty, they change the course of how the game is played in short intervals.

Gears of War 2 has successfully escaped the "generic" stigma it picked up after the first game. The gameplay is a changing landscape throughout that manages to fit nicely within the confines outlined by the series. It's a brilliant single player experience that shooter fans won't have any trouble immersing themselves in this year.

Aladuf

Banned
Dax01 said:
Yes, but if it were win ten games of Submission, everyone would be doing what would be best for the team.

The problem for me with Submission is not that it gets vetoed, but it's soooooo hard to capture a meatflag.
I know, and I'm with you really. I hate MP achievements for the most part, ones like getting "X" amount of kills is fine but really I'd like for games to not have them at all. Halo 3 did them pretty good because it had them but the achievements were simple for the most part and COD4 did them the best by not having any. :p

h3ro said:
I played about two hours of Meatflag yesterday... in terms of working towards the achievement, I'm now at 1/10! :lol

Dropping the meatflag when hit with a smoke grenade stinks, it turns the capture zones into smoke spamming hell.
I have 2/10 myself and I've attempted to play Submission as much as possible but like I said, everybody vetoes it. Fucking Gears community is too scared to play anything besides Execution or Warzone I swear (and I realize that you can play it in a different playlist than Players Choice but then it gets vetoed into enless KotH matches).

kaizoku said:
you can get achievements in private or bot matches too? I was under the impression you could for some reason.
You can for most, but not all of them. A couple require you to get them in Public matches for whatever reason.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I have 2/10 in Submission as well, though it almost seems like the achievement makes people NOT use teamwork. A lot of people don't defend whoever has the meatflag so they can get it themselves. :lol

Esch

Banned
This game is amazing, definitely a GotY contender. They fixed my biggest complaints about the first game that i had(length, story). But... They forgot to fix my smaller ones, the controls and terrible terrible hit detection. The visuals are amazing, especially the character models. I really said wow. The IQ is impressive in particular. That's about all i've got to say. Wait, maybe one more thing...

ATTENTION: CLIFFORD BLESZINSKI. YOU SHOULD PLAY THE GAME UNCHARTED AND STEAL SOMETHING FROM IT THAT YOUR GAME DESPERATELY NEEDS: SHOULDER SWITCHING.

Aladuf said:
I know, and I'm with you really. I hate MP achievements for the most part, ones like getting "X" amount of kills is fine but really I'd like for games to not have them at all. Halo 3 did them pretty good because it had them but the achievements were simple for the most part and COD4 did them the best by not having any. :p
I don't mind multiplayer achievements as long as they're easy an fun to do.

For example, there will be this achievement available for you do to in Halo 3 where you have to drop a tank on friend and kill him on a mythic map. :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Question: With the party like its 1999 achievement, do rounds that end in ties count? And do you have to finish the match for the rounds to count?

Aladuf

Banned
whitehawk said:
Question: With the party like its 1999 achievement, do rounds that end in ties count? And do you have to finish the match for the rounds to count?
I'd imagine that ties would count since the achievement only states that you have to play the round. I was kinda surprised how quickly I got that achievement. :lol

...fuckin' Third and Recovery beat me to it though.

kuYuri

Did they ever include the control option of having mantling and cover on different buttons? I thought I remembered reading an interview about that.

bimet

Annex on Tyro Station is one of the most painful experiences in this game. If the opposing team manages to grab the torque bow on both ends = you are done. Getting killed by the torque bow as soon as you spawn is not fun. I had two of my teammates quit on me by the end of the game. Today in a nutshell: Long waiting times, glitchers, spawn killing and quitters.

Today was not a good day for me :( It's getting really tough to enjoy the game when more and more of your friends are heading to something different. Now with the introduction of party chat, team communication is almost nonexistent if you're not with a group of friends. Sigh...

Here gaf, have three 48 hour XBL codes so that you can enjoy more of this wonderful multiplayer:

GRRQB-QHKMJ-QKQRW-XXTHK-66JRY
F2MDJ-K3G29-8P26B-CG3CM-Q76FD
H46C8-87B46-MPF8K-WQ9FY-WXJXT

I'd like to make at least someone out there happy.

Scarecrow

I don't mind some of the multiplayer achievements. I kind of like how they'll be earned sometime in the future, as opposed to being farmed right away. That was the problem with halo 3. You only had to do some of the things once (like tag three people) to get the achievement.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Awwww, damn Cyclops, you sneak up behind them and you still go to a chainsaw duel!!!!

Also, Horde needs a separate ranking system, some of idiots are really ruining the experience.

EazyB

Banned
Strider2K99 said:
Did they ever include the control option of having mantling and cover on different buttons? I thought I remembered reading an interview about that.
They included it and I use it. It's buried somewhere in the controls settings.

antiloop

I am sad.. this game doesn't feel as rewarding as the first to me. ;(

But the shooting is still as good as ever. Plus the controls are nearly perfect even if I roll instead of jumping over things sometimes...
Also graphics. <3

McLovin

Quick question.. how the heck to you rank up? Also why does everyone use the N word when they loose? Just because I'm a little chainsaw happy ;_;

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Holy fuck, I just played a round of Submission that lasted 33 minutes and 13 seconds. :lol Just ONE round! The funny thing is the second rounded lasted 1 minute and 3 seconds.

F#A#Oo

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
Holy fuck, I just played a round of Submission that lasted 33 minutes and 13 seconds. :lol Just ONE round! The funny thing is the second rounded lasted 1 minute and 3 seconds.

Yeah Submission can be like that...the first round always seems to be the Epic one and the following shoter...maybe due to fatigue...

I remember one match in particular on Hail took close to an hour for one round as the designated area's would spawn quite far away and Hail is a rather large map to play in Submission so if the area re-spawns you have absolute ridiculous distance to make up...

Ramirez

I had a great session of Gears MP last night, there was virtually no lag and the MM was fast, I dunno if this was a once in a life time thing or what. This game is SO good when it works properly...

daw840

Ramirez said:
I had a great session of Gears MP last night, there was virtually no lag and the MM was fast, I dunno if this was a once in a life time thing or what. This game is SO good when it works properly...

So is your XBL account unhacked?

daw840

Ramirez said:
Yea, but I had to change my tag and stuff, also got banned for a week for havin' a cuss word in my profile. :lol
:lol :lol :lol

Maybe they need to start monitoring voice chat to eliminate the excessively racists 12 year olds that seem to run rampant on XBL.

Went back to school and I honestly can't play in a game online with my roommate at the same time. It's so terrible. The game ALWAYS picks one of the two of us as host, and nobody on either team besides the two of us can move. It sucks. I want to play legit games dammit.

bumpkin

I finally got the patch, and you know, the matchmaking is infinitely better now. I didn't really encounter any of the lag some of you guys have been citing since getting the update. I did encounter something kind of funny/weird though.

I played some elimination-type matches last night where I just seemed to have the unfortunate luck of playing people who would camp with the torque bow and longshot all match long. Suffice it to say I got blown to bits or lost my head quite a bit. Some matches I didn't even get a single kill. After one of the last matches I played, I got a message on XBL from someone who was on the opposing team of a match I didn't score a single kill in. The messages read:

uv played this a bit y r u so bad????????

Chances are he probably saw my achievements for the game (and the original), but I thought it was kind of funny, so I responded to them. Basically, I said that I'd probably be doing better if people didn't rush the power weapons and camp. Moreover, I said that I just play for fun; I don't care if I win or not. The guy/girl never responded.

At least their message was better than one I got a few weeks ago that simply read, "pussy." :lol

Teknoman

I wonder if people still dont realize that some gaming victories or losses can be attributed to pure luck. Then again, there are some players who expect to win all the time...and dont realize the MP environment is totally different from SP/horde.

Hammer24

Banned
Umm, I could use a little campaign help:
Act4, when you close in on the hive. I´m on this floating raft/lift thingy, when at first four reavers attack, then another raft comes you change over to, then another two reavers come.
I´ve got a mulcher, so the first reavers and the drones on the other raft are no problem. But then I´m out of ammo and the last two reavers seem not overly impressed with my lancer and rip the float off, game over.

Any hints/tipps/tactics?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
bumpkin said:
At least their message was better than one I got a few weeks ago that simply read, "pussy." :lol

Oh, I was wondering if you got my message. You never replied back :(

RookOne

Neo Member
Hammer24: Your lancer should do the trick no problem. Just make sure you start firing on them as soon as possible and keep it trained on them as best you can.

Hammer24

Banned
RookOne said:
Hammer24: Your lancer should do the trick no problem. Just make sure you start firing on them as soon as possible and keep it trained on them as best you can.

Thx! Will try this today...

Aladuf

Banned
BioHazard said:
I've had the game 2 days and I still have not been able to get in to a SINGLE FREAKING MP GAME. This is absolutely ridiculous. :(
You've got some shit luck then. I actually tried matchmaking with only myself last night for the first time post-patch and the longest time it ever took was ~2 minutes.

Wiggum2007

So is there any trick to taking down reavers quickly, like some sort of weak spot or something? Or are they just bullet sponges? I'm getting sick of them popping up every 5 minutes in the campaign, I can deal with them easily enough, but they're just boring to fight.

ShinAmano

Wiggum2007 said:
So is there any trick to taking down reavers quickly, like some sort of weak spot or something? Or are they just bullet sponges? I'm getting sick of them popping up every 5 minutes in the campaign, I can deal with them easily enough, but they're just boring to fight.
I have not confirmed this myself, but apparently there is a red 'belly' on the underside that works...and is apparently chainsaw-able.

Top Bottom