• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

Holy hell matchmaking is SOOOO much better! I actually enjoyed playing today (about 3 straight hours). Plus they made it more difficult to run at someone and chainsaw. Stopping power actually works

ch0mp

Sweet they fixed matchmaking. Now at least I can get into laggy, international games instead of just sitting in the lobby.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
OMFG! This game is insane! I liked the first one played MP campain all the time. But GoW2 fixes almost everything wrong with one and is just insane looking!

Does feel a little LoTRs at time tho

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
My experiences with Matchmaking today:

First 4 games were found INSTANLY (in a party of 5 the whole time) and I mean that in the literal sense. Next couple of games, it took a while so I had to keep switching up the playlists and finally the Flashback Players' Choice worked.

Now for a couple of those things listed from gowfans.com about the "secret" fixes, I did and didn't see them. At times I actually saw the chainsaw being put down, but the rest of the time it was still cheap as always. I also did notice a decrease in lag somewhat.

Shotgun blindfire bullets still hit the ground if you're not on the host's team. :(

Getting host is so fun. :lol Getting near 40 kills in a game of Annex on Avalanche, Shotgun blasting two piecers, blowing up folks that are running around like idiots with their chainsaws revved.

All in all I'd say Epic did a pretty good job with this quick fix update, but I'm hoping they take their sweet time with the gameplay issues update to make sure releasing that update doesn't cause a new glitch or fix something that wasn't broken to begin with. I really don't want it to be a repeat of Gears 1's updates.

Some things I'd like to see changed:
-Remove Smoke grenades from Objective gametypes. Smoke grenades are fine in gametypes that have no respawn because you use it once for that round and that's it. But in Objectives where you can keep respawning with a fresh Smoke grenade? It's not right.

-Fix the chainsaw. Too much has already been said to elaborate on it once more.

-If you tag a wall with a frag grenade, then later on in the round you die, the grenade needs to blow up, not stay there forever.

-Up the respawn time on power weapons, especially the Mortar, Boomshot, Hammer of Dawn and grenades.

-Diversify the maps. There's no need to add a Torque, Snipe, Boomshot, Hammer of Dawn, Mortar, Mulcher, and Flamethrower in each map just because it gets cycled through that list each round. Make the layouts similar to Halo in that some weapons are on one or two maps and not on the rest and vise versa.

Those changes listed above would make me very happy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Skilotonn said:
I did this alone on Insane a few hours ago, and this has to be the strategy Epic thought for it...

When you get down to the two Maulers, get rid of any grunts/wretches with them, and run around trying to get them separated - then head to the Troika in the middle, and pick them off with it as they come to you...

The reason why I say I'm sure this is the strategy meant by Epic is because the Troika can turn 360 degrees... so use the Troika to finish off the Maulers, then when they are both dead, swing around back to the door in the middle at the top of the stairs where the Bloodmounts will come through, and grind them to pieces with the Troika - fight's over...

wtf the troika goes 360 degrees :O

also, I have made it this far in the campain without remembering you can stick grenades to walls.

:(

kaizoku said:
ust played a bunch of matches, my first friendless multiplayer session on gears that I would consider a success. About 7 games all in all, one was so laggy it took 5 seconds to pick up a weapon, my whole team finished with 0 points, 1 guy had 27! and the other team cleaned up - they only had 4 players vs our 5 too. Wonder if they were doing it deliberately because the whole opposition team just rushed right to us with shotguns out everytime, as if they knew we couldn't defend ourselves.

i was about to send you an invite as the campaign was too clever for me, however, you got in a match and it was late. So I played a stranger match, got on a team of 5 and got murdered 5-0 by 4 veterans.

Multiplayer plays a lot different to the campaign, not knowing where the weapon spawns are REALLy hurts :(

Aladuf

Banned
catfish said:
also, I have made it this far in the campain without remembering you can stick grenades to walls.

:(
Eh, imo it's not too useful in campaign on Hardcore/Insane, I guess it may be on Casual and Normal but I didn't bother to play either of those difficulties. Usually they just walk right through the explosion and keep gunning for you. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Scarecrow said:
I've been away for a bit. I hear they fixed multiplayer. True?
They patched matchmaking, but some people won't see instant results they said. As for balancing the game out, I don't think there was actually anything yet, that will probably (hopefully) happen next.

chriskun

Match making is definitely working way faster now. After my party was assembled another team was found instantly. yaaaaaaaay. lag seemed a bit better also, but that will take an extended play time to figure out.

JimiNutz

Banned
Think I'll try and play some Gears again this weekend and see if the patch has made any difference. I've been away from the game for well over a week so hopefully I won't be too rusty.

Brakara

catfish said:
So I played a stranger match, got on a team of 5 and got murdered 5-0 by 4 veterans.

Multiplayer plays a lot different to the campaign, not knowing where the weapon spawns are REALLy hurts :(

If you feel intimidated in public matches, try playing some local matches with and against bots. This way, you'll learn the layout of the maps in no time. Up the bot difficulty to Insane and you'll get some challenge too.

Chinner

Banned
Domino Theory said:
-If you tag a wall with a frag grenade, then later on in the round you die, the grenade needs to blow up, not stay there forever.

-Up the respawn time on power weapons, especially the Mortar, Boomshot, Hammer of Dawn and grenades.
Apart from the actual balancing of the weapons then this is pretty much spot. It would be good if you could set of tagged grenades with your own smoke grenades.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
can't see grenades being fixed guys, as sucky as I think they are, cliffy mentioned them in an interview on 1up that he thought the new planting grenade tactic enabled for some awesome stand offs i.e. one team camping in a house and one team trying to invade.

Its so much more effective to rush in as a group with shotguns/chainsaws and smoke grenades, if anything the new stuff has gotten rid of cover combat once and for all. cover is useless against that tactic, if anything it slows you down.

catfish I'd be happy to help you out if you need it, just send me a message if you see me on. You trying a solo run t hrough on insane?? :D brave guy, I haven't mustered up the will yet.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:
Its so much more effective to rush in as a group with shotguns/chainsaws and smoke grenades, if anything the new stuff has gotten rid of cover combat once and for all. cover is useless against that tactic, if anything it slows you down.

catfish I'd be happy to help you out if you need it, just send me a message if you see me on. You trying a solo run t hrough on insane?? :D brave guy, I haven't mustered up the will yet.

hha no. I haven't beaten the game yet. I just got back from vacation beginning of last week so I'm a little behind.

I'll be keen for a game sometime this weekend though!

kaizoku

Shoogoo said:
Insane is not THAT hard. I found it harder in gears 1 :)

gears 1 was definitely much harder, lack of partner to revive you when you split up, fucking lambent wretches. me and another gaffer played through the whole game on hardcore and some sections we replayed literally 50 times or something :lol the minecart bit where even if you kill the wretch it would land in your cart and blow you up. AARRGGGHHH!!!

we'd have spells where one of us would die like 10 times in a row, feel really guilty, but then we'd get it, then the other guy would die loads of times :D

This is where achievements are so awesome, when you finish something like that, you feel like you earned something.

kaizoku

checking stats on gearsofwar.com, some ones I found interesting:

played 6.5 hours, spent 30 minutes in cover!

my sniper rifle accuracy is 91% and is my most deadly weapon. although boomshot accuracy is...200%? huh?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
kaizoku said:
my sniper rifle accuracy is 91% and is my most deadly weapon. although boomshot accuracy is...200%? huh?

shoot one, kill 2? That's still some pretty amazing stats though. You must have let it off in a room filled with the entire opposing team more than once :lol

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
kaizoku said:
the minecart bit where even if you kill the wretch it would land in your cart and blow you up. AARRGGGHHH!!!

That part is nearly impossible on Insane, co-op + online. Its because of lag, I deduced. I could get past it 100% of the time playing locally. As soon as a friend and I tried it online it was basically impossible. You just couldn't kill the Wretch fast enough so that it wouldn't drop in your cart.

gg Gears1 netcode :p

Please Epic...Please...Next patch stop spawning players with Smokes. That means you don't need to toy with how they work at all, it's just a simple fix...Just don't spawn players with them in Public matches.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
ToyMachine228 said:
Please Epic...Please...Next patch stop spawning players with Smokes. That means you don't need to toy with how they work at all, it's just a simple fix...Just don't spawn players with them in Public matches.

They're fine in Warzone and Execution. Anything else with respawns? No.

JB1981

catfish said:
turns out I suck at multiplayer.

god I'm stuck on the campaign as well, at a large courtyard near the end and lots of waves of guys come out. right after 2 maulers comes 2 bloodmounts. they run right up to me every time and just eat me. Like run directly across the courtyard, straight at me and then the second one kills me in 1 hit after I kill the first one. Fuck what is the trick to avoiding them? The battle takes around 7 minutes each time and then they kill me in 10 seconds. It's driving me batty.

That's exactly where I just left off - quit out of frustration. I have no long range weapons or nades ... nothing. I keep getting owed and the Mulcher is too slow to do shit.

kaizoku

Domino Theory said:

I actually found them more bearable with respawn games. Annex for example involves storming into a spot, throwing nades, avoiding nades, shotguns, chainsaws galore. It used to be just rush in with shotguns, usually get picked off by the defending team if they were any good tbh. In a mode which is all about rushing in and going gung ho versus defending for your life, they work fine. Also the fact you respawn takes the edge off a death.

Same for guardian, less of the gung ho, but still defending and respawns take the edge off.

I hate them in warzone/execution cos everyone rushes to the bottlenecks, throws nades, rush in, see who wins. Whoever dies has to wait til the same pattern is played out at the other bottleneck. You will only ever get slight variations on this theme.

oh and I've been meaning to say, does anyone else find their performance jumps drastically from game to game? When I play public matches and theres a bunch of Europeans I do really well, usually come first or thereabouts, but against americans, I can barely do any damage and totally feel like a spare wheel. Really weird. Maybe netcode, maybe just differing skill levels, wondered if anyone else has the same thing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
JB1981 said:
That's exactly where I just left off - quit out of frustration. I have no long range weapons or nades ... nothing. I keep getting owed and the Mulcher is too slow to do shit.

I figured it out (gaffer told me) and it's laughably easy actually. that troika spins 360 degrees. I used it to kill the 2 maulers and then spin it around and the 2 mounts were dead before they even got close to the bottom of the steps. Just cool it down before the doors open and the first one is dead with the first volley of bullets. cool it again and finish off the second one.

I just beat the game 30 mins ago. WTF at
the end boss. I didn't even know what I was doing, just hold the hammer of dawn on him and wait. it was essentially a cut scene. Raam was way better. Only time gears 2 dropped the ball in the campaign I think.

kaizoku

catfish said:
I figured it out (gaffer told me) and it's laughably easy actually. that troika spins 360 degrees. I used it to kill the 2 maulers and then spin it around and the 2 mounts were dead before they even got close to the bottom of the steps. Just cool it down before the doors open and the first one is dead with the first volley of bullets. cool it again and finish off the second one.

I just beat the game 30 mins ago. WTF at
the end boss. I didn't even know what I was doing, just hold the hammer of dawn on him and wait. it was essentially a cut scene. Raam was way better. Only time gears 2 dropped the ball in the campaign I think.

next stop horde mode :D

still need to do wave 49+50 on hardcore and then have a go at insane horde.

anyone else got similar plans?

Snowden

Banned
kaizoku said:
I hate them in warzone/execution cos everyone rushes to the bottlenecks, throws nades, rush in, see who wins. Whoever dies has to wait til the same pattern is played out at the other bottleneck. You will only ever get slight variations on this theme.
If you can forecast what players are going to do, why can't you take steps to place yourself in a good position after the charge? There's only so many possible bottlenecks on each map.

If you're playing with people you know, couldn't you work on a little strategy in this regard? Have three people do the blind rush, and take the other teammate along with you to an advantageous position on the map. If everyone really just runs in guns blazing, you should see the numbers for both teams drop rapidly, but if all five of the other side ran into the circle of smokey death, the ones still alive should be a little disoriented and in a great state to then pounce on.

Domino Theory said:

I strongly disagree. I only get one death in Warzone and Execution and I don't want it wasted by getting spammed by Smokes right from the spawn on a map like Blood Drive. Remember, Epic made a lot of changes to make Gears 2 a bit slower, and "stop and pop" than the first Gears' multiplayer ended up being. And Smokes are definitely preventing it from being played the way it's intended to be.

LJ11

Smoke grenades are love/hate with me. Hate that they're spammed to allow shotgun rushers free runs at downed enemies. On the other hand I love using them on maps like River, to prevent players from getting the Torque/Sniper. I just wait until they reach the weapon, lob, take them out (if it's Warzone).

I hate wall tagging more than anything. Takes a bit of the teamwork out of the game. Guys just spam walls with nades, instead of using teamwork to cover their flank. You should have to rely on your squad instead of grenades. With that said, I abuse the hell out of wall tagging, when in Rome...

kaizoku

Evonus said:
If you can forecast what players are going to do, why can't you take steps to place yourself in a good position after the charge? There's only so many possible bottlenecks on each map.

If you're playing with people you know, couldn't you work on a little strategy in this regard? Have three people do the blind rush, and take the other teammate along with you to an advantageous position on the map. If everyone really just runs in guns blazing, you should see the numbers for both teams drop rapidly, but if all five of the other side ran into the circle of smokey death, the ones still alive should be a little disoriented and in a great state to then pounce on.

sure you can hang back, but that almost guarantees the other team gets the power weapons, which in this game (sniper aside) are really devastating and can totally decimate you, and turn what seems an advantageous position into a vulnerable one.

i.e. you hang back out of range of their smokes, which means you're too far away to do any damage with anything bar lancer - which won't kill anyone on anything but warzone, then they come at you with a boomshot/torque etc etc.

Even if you end up winning that duel, its far from the dramatic stop and pop and intense stand offs of gears 1. Every map on gears 1 had moments of really well balanced to-ing and fro-ing, either fighting over the power weapon or dueling with them.

Every round now is over in what, 2-3 minutes?

how much time has everyone else spent in cover versus not in cover according to gearsofwar.com?

I think more people would be fine with the smoke grenades if it triggered a short stun animation (like when a friendly mortar strike hits near you) instead of instantly ragdolling you. Especially because the ragdolls have a tendency to randomly bug-out.

kaizoku

MicVlaD said:
I think more people would be fine with the smoke grenades if it triggered a short stun animation (like when a friendly mortar strike hits near you) instead of instantly ragdolling you. Especially because the ragdolls have a tendency to randomly bug-out.

that animation where a frag blows near you but not near enough to kill you in gears 1 - perfect! required skill to stun people to good effect.

Current smokes are skill-less, huge radius motherfuckers, deadlier than frags ffs.

Frester

kaizoku said:
that animation where a frag blows near you but not near enough to kill you in gears 1 - perfect! required skill to stun people to good effect.

Current smokes are skill-less, huge radius motherfuckers, deadlier than frags ffs.

This, but what I really hate is how damn inconsistent they are. I toss one right at a guys feet and nothing happens, I run way past one on my way to an objective and still get stunned :\

cresto

Frester said:
This, but what I really hate is how damn inconsistent they are. I toss one right at a guys feet and nothing happens, I run way past one on my way to an objective and still get stunned :\
Yup and then you get stuck sliding down any sort of sloped surface (i.e. stairs -_-) whats up with that crap

I like the idea of making smokes more useful, but they need to be perfected. No more instant explosion whenever you get near any of the damn things. Only one that seems ok is the useless ink

Aladuf

Banned
kaizoku said:
Damn, I like that idea. That would be the perfect stun.

Voltron64

Frester said:
Multiplayer is filled with inconsistencies. Every game I play feels like a roll of the dice.

JB1981

OMG that's how it ends?! LOL

- The last act was so good too! Maybe the best act in the game! .... What the hell happened? Just ran out of time?

JB1981

MicVlaD said:
it's kind of like playing Lost Planet SP, just more annoying

SickBoy

The new smoke grenade is the right idea, just a bit overpowered, I think. To me it sort of makes me wonder about a *good* application of smoke grenades. In Gears 1, I managed on a handful of occasions to use them to my advantage -- get around enemies that were stalking me, mostly.

I still think smoke should be about cover, not an offensive weapon. I'd love to see (any game) make a smoke grenade that produces even a thicker smoke, but gives the thrower some view of his opponents -- an outline maybe? -- so he has a major advantage, as opposed to them obscuring everyone's view.

Gilgamesh

Beat this today on co-op. Awesome, awesome game. So many great moments. I wasn't too disappointed with how it ended but my friend was.

Snowden

Banned
kaizoku said:
sure you can hang back, but that almost guarantees the other team gets the power weapons, which in this game (sniper aside) are really devastating and can totally decimate you, and turn what seems an advantageous position into a vulnerable one.
I don't see how it guarantees that if you're communicating properly. Three guys rushing in, with two outside the red zone using their Lancers to soften up the opposition enough for the teammates to take care of the rest. It's not going to work every time, but its a good strategy that works great against against a team that doesn't ever change up their tactics. If they're good enough to utterly destroy your three on-rushers, then your team didn't deserve to win. Its an easier strategy in Warzone, but a downed enemy is still a downed enemy. The split-second it takes to pick somebody up is the time that can be used to take out a distracted enemy.

I'm not sure what Gears 1 you played, but after the first few months, it was never a stop-and-pop game for me. It was all about rushing in with a shotgun and wall-bouncing around. This game isn't about stop-and-pop either, as much as Epic might try to make it that. The simple fact is that you still perform better more of the time using other methods. Stop-and-pop works against stupid enemies, but when people are rushing around, rather than hanging back, cover isn't so effective. You just can't stop moving when you're playing against other humans.

zaidr

Just a general question, but the list of players just before starting a game (so, you see the map, but haven't spawned for the first time yet), some people's names are yellow (maybe 1 or 2 people), while everyone else is white? Are they the hosts? As in, one's the game host, and one's the audio host?

unomas

Banned
I haven't played Gears 2 in 5 days, but I'm about to download the update and give it another shot. Some on the Gears 2 forums are now crying lag lag lag. I'll find out soon enough, hopefully the patch helped the matchmaking, sounds like it did from the GAF crew.

Top Bottom