• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
hope that hardee's thickburger was worth it

playing at 7
burris14.png

Aladuf

Banned
II VerTigo II said:
:lol Wow xbl says that im a silver member but I can play gears.

I need to buy a 12 month card fast
It's been like that for a little while because playing GFW Live games online is free now so they can't (or don't want to) charge you to play the same game on another platform of theirs.

But yeah, Gears 2 won't be the same so you will need that 12 month card fast anyways.

Chinner

Banned
II VerTigo II said:
:lol Wow xbl says that im a silver member but I can play gears.

I need to buy a 12 month card fast
yeah someones sponsoring free xbl play for everyone for a few days so enjoy it while you can.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Aladuf said:
It's been like that for a little while because playing GFW Live games online is free now so they can't (or don't want to) charge you to play the same game on another platform of theirs.

But yeah, Gears 2 won't be the same so you will need that 12 month card fast anyways.

Well I need to catch up on the news, i've been to busy with work and school.

Taking the whole week off work, so yeah im going to gamestop now. :D

Shins

Banned
guys guys guys
Aladuf said:
pay attention :p

-ARNiE- said:
Brings back sweet memories from 2005.
yeah I just went back and watched this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/8802.html

No John DiMaggio as Marcus (it soulds like it could be one of Epic's designers or something filling in), Anya sounds vaguely Irish, Horrible roadie run angle, Gnasher with even more retardedly long range, sawless Lancer, unrefined Longshot.
It's funny seeing how most of the demo levels, including the mine carts, made it to the final game though.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
_dementia said:

No John DiMaggio as Marcus (it soulds like it could be one of Epic's designers or something filling in), Anya sounds vaguely Irish, Horrible roadie run angle, Gnasher with even more retardedly long range, sawless Lancer, unrefined Longshot.
It's funny seeing how most of the demo levels, including the mine carts, made it to the final game though.

:lol It sure has come along way, and the sound of the shotgun. Priceless

Chinner

Banned
_dementia said:

Although it looked good at the time, this demo was just a fleshed out tech demo. Not everyone wanted to admit it and most of us hid behind the "B-b-but its early" excuse. Luckily this reasoning was right on the ball: Gears remerged again at E3 2006 and it was in a totally different league and actually resembled a game.

Arnie

_dementia said:

:lol
I love it. Gears sure has come a long way. Marcus's voice cracks me up.

Aladuf

Banned
_dementia said:

Wow, I had never seen that before. The roadie run was seriously terrible, it covered up the whole screen, but the shotgun seemed to have been the same speed as it's going to be in Gears 2.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
That video demonstrates how much the little things contribute to the difference between a good game and a genius game. Notice how the cover system didn't have the 'ooomph' that Cliff talks about? You know, the suction feel and perfect sprinkling of dust. Marcus' voice was terrible. The running animation was hideous.

It's like humans and monkeys. We both have 99% the same genetic make-up. But that 1% difference means monkeys are stuck in trees and we can send humans to the moon. That video and the final Gears are basically the same. The little things are so, so important. That's why we only a handful of truly brilliant games. Visionaries are a dime a dozen, but not everyone out there has the attention to detail of a Cliffy, Ken Levine, Miyamoto, Kojima, etc.

!!!

My heart just nearly fucking popped out of my chest...

Was playing Fallout 3 and the game froze a good 2 to 3 times.

Looked up on the internet and found out that the game has numerous problems with freezing. I'd been playing the game a good 8 hours or so total without a hitch. Anyway After the third freeze and trying a cache deletion (that didn't fix the issue) I put in Halo 3 which froze immediately on menu. I immediately lose all thought of Fallout 3 and think of the possibility of missing Gears 2 launch. I delete all Fallout 3 saves.

:O

Put in my Mass Effect which ran well but while I was playing I checked my friends list and noticed laggy loading. Things like gamerpics not showing up at all and what not. Then I jump to dashboard and it just does the loading thing on the dash and freezes. At this point I'm literally talking to my 360 like "don't even play...don't even play" because this is what...my third 360? It's been working so well :(

Anyway I turn my 360 on again and put in Halo 3 and get a disc load error and can't download update then it just goes black with 1 red ring in the corner and says E60 on the screen.

At this point I'm ready to fucking go berserk.

I calm down and take off my harddrive, blow it a bit and put it back on. Its never really been attached all that well and I've had problems with it in the past (including this E60 code).

Anyway everything seems to be working smoothly now. I guess my harddrive just wasn't in all the way and it was causing freezing/inability to load up gamerpics and such. I just jumped on Halo 3 for a bit and was able to download the update and play multiplayer without a hitch. Just got to make sure my harddrive is set in all the way and I should be good to go.

What a fucking scare though. I refuse to put Fallout 3 back in (and hell I lost all my saves anyway). I'll jump back on it some other time.

I'm still a bit nervous though. I'll test out Mass Effect, Halo 3, and some other titles for a few solid hours up until Gear 2 to make sure everythings legit.

bumpkin

I find myself in the same boat... I'm so hesitant to put any amount of mileage on my 360 on the off chance it might kick the bucket prior to getting into Gears 2 next weekend. Ever since my first system RROD'ed (20GB model I bought in May 2006) I've been paranoid about the new one (60GB model purchased August 2008) doing it too. The fear grips me and rocks me to my core.

*sigh* Why must the 360 have such a shoddy track record? It's such a great machine with so many awesome games.

Kydd BlaZe

Holy shit FaZe!!!!!

Glad to hear you're okay though. Would have been so fucking pissed if we missed out on co-op at launch. I think my brother's 360 is about to RRoD, though =( his 360 is getting the grid screen from time to time =\

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
bumpkin said:
I find myself in the same boat... I'm so hesitant to put any amount of mileage on my 360 on the off chance it might kick the bucket prior to getting into Gears 2 next weekend. Ever since my first system RROD'ed (20GB model I bought in May 2006) I've been paranoid about the new one (60GB model purchased August 2008) doing it too. The fear grips me and rocks me to my core.

*sigh* Why must the 360 have such a shoddy track record? It's such a great machine with so many awesome games.

I'm the same way. My falcon unit died in september and the one I have now is a lot louder, plus I'm just not able to stay entertained with any other game atm, I just want gears already. I'm being paranoid since I've only had this console for about a month though, I just want the NXE update to come so I can install...though I only have a 20 gig. =(

Kydd BlaZe said:
Holy shit FaZe!!!!!

Glad to hear you're okay though. Would have been so fucking pissed if we missed out on co-op at launch. I think my brother's 360 is about to RRoD, though =( his 360 is getting the grid screen from time to time =\

Yeah...seems like the connection with my harddrive and 360 is extremely loose...so any amount of movement potentially causes this error code. Hasn't really been an issue for a while but It's always been a fairly easy fix. I remember now that just before the Fallout freezes happened, I tried to delete my game and the select save device list came up which I thought was odd. This was probably the hint that my harddrive was loose at the time. So at least it appears to just be isolated with that.

Like I said I'll play some Mass Effect for a couple of hours to beat it again tomorrow and play a ton of 2k and Halo 3 online (although this shit feels more like work than fun :\) and if everything is solid then I should be good to go.

I'm so sick of this shit hardware though...its just frustrating. I don't think I'll feel comfortable until our campaign co-op is finished and there are no issues.

Ironically enough my 360 died playing Fallout this morning. Kaput. Repairs was going to be 110 so I figured I might as well spend the extra and get a controller and an HDMI port out of it.

SMZC

I haven't been following this game's news much. Does it have bullet lag? I'm interested in picking the game up, but if it still has bullet lag like GOW1 I doubt I will.

Aladuf

Banned
God damn FaZe, If we lost you for our first Horde attempts then that would have fucking blown. Glad to hear that your 360 wasn't red ringing on you. It makes me scared for mine..

SMZC said:
I haven't been following this game's news much. Does it have bullet lag? I'm interested in picking the game up, but if it still has bullet lag like GOW1 I doubt I will.
So far all signs point to it being gone, or in worst cases barely noticeable.

JB1981

Aladuf said:
God damn FaZe, If we lost you for our first Horde attempts then that would have fucking blown. Glad to hear that your 360 wasn't red ringing on you. It makes me scared for mine..

Where's the evidence for that?

Aladuf

Banned
JB1981 said:
Where's the evidence for that?
The fucktons of videos on youtube pretty much. There have been plenty of videos put up that have full matches of 10 people playing on Live and there's not an ounce of it. But also there will be a video once in a while that shows a little lag, probably because of a weak host or the maybe the people are located far away from each other.

JB1981

Aladuf said:
The fucktons of videos on youtube pretty much. There have been plenty of videos put up that have full matches of 10 people playing on Live and there's not an ounce of it. But also there will be a video once in a while that shows a little lag, probably because of a weak host or the maybe the people are located far away from each other.

I will reserve my excitement til I host a game and see how invincible I am.
:D

Nemesis_

Oh wow, people already have the game?

Checked out predator123uk's profile. He's been playing Gears of War 2, but it's a pirated copy. How on earth do these people use Xbox Live and burnt copies but still get away with it? =(

Nemesis556 said:

Checked out predator123uk's profile. He's been playing Gears of War 2, but it's a pirated copy. How on earth do these people use Xbox Live and burnt copies but still get away with it? =(
There's custom firmware out for modded 360's that makes it undetectable. MS can't really tell retail from pirated copies, so there's nothing they can really do about it.

bj00rn_

Banned
Nemesis556 said:

Haha, guess when he modded his 360:

predator123uk.png

:lol

Aladuf said:

I can't see any at all. Watching the Gears 2 videos seriously makes it impossible for me to play the original Gears because it looks so much smoother. Both visually and gameplay wise. This coming from someone who didn't complain about bullet lag in the first Gears. So I think Gears 2 has got the remedy.

Fine

So, yesterday I finished playing GoW's Casual campaign on co-op, and immediately hopped into Hardcore.

GoW is too much fun. I can't wait to the second one.

Lkr

I went to Circuit City yesterday, and they wouldn't let me pre-order. I gotta call that damn phone number. I'll just stop there on the way to gamestop and see if they're sold out or not.

360 is working great now. Should be good to go for GoW2. I'm frustrated that I ended up deleting my fallout saves...but I didn't do all that much in the game anyway and there is no chance I'll beat it before Gears 2 drops since I rented it.

I'll come back to it later.

Nemesis_

slicedking said:
There's custom firmware out for modded 360's that makes it undetectable. MS can't really tell retail from pirated copies, so there's nothing they can really do about it.
Well that's just annoying. I do the right thing and play the game later.:lol

Oh well, I've got two RPGs and a really open-world FPS to tide me over anyway, I guess.

Dark FaZe said:
I love what I see from Pavilion. Nice lighting and a nice change of scenery from the usual destroyed settings we see.
Pavilion is one sexy, sexy map and it's probably one of the top three I'm looking foward to the most. The other two being Day One and Avalanche. Glad to hear your 360 is working well, too. :D

Wizman23

Banned
So IGN is putting their review up at 6 AM Pacific tomorrow, I would imagine all the big gaming sites will have their reviews up before noon tomorrow.

ChrisD84

NutJobJim said:
OK with Gears 2 launching in under a weeks time it's probably time to start populating my friends list with Gaffers.
I'm in the UK and while I really enjoy the novelty of playing with Americans/Canadians/Australians etc. because of time zone differences and bullet lag I'd like to populate my friends list with as many Brits and Europeans as possible (although I'll still add you even if you're not.)

Realistically I will mostly be playing over the weekends because I'm usually really busy or tired after work during weekdays. I'm also a fairly average player, certainly not a n00b, but not the sort of guy that plays 24/7. Just looking for some cool guys that use teamwork and are laid back/chill.

GT = NutJobJim

I'll add you if you don't mind, i'm a UK gaffer also :D

I didn't play gears 1 though, so there's no telling how terrible i may or may not be at this :p

My GT is ChrisD84 btw.

Aladuf

Banned
Wizman23 said:
So IGN is putting their review up at 6 AM Pacific tomorrow, I would imagine all the big gaming sites will have their reviews up before noon tomorrow.
Nice, I was actually just wondering when we'd be seeing the reviews flow in tomorrow.

Edit: Just noticed that Gamespots' review might be posted at around the same time.

AMUSIX

A note on lag.

Last night 4 friends and I played Horde for about 7 hours. Three of us were in the same house, using three different systems, all wirelessly logged in to a 10/1 cable connection. The other two people were at two separate locations (10 miles and 50 miles away, respectively). None of us experienced even a moment of lag.

Now, I know this isn't the best test (as we weren't playing adversarial, and we were all within close proximity of eachother) but certain things do show the efficiency of the net code. The fact that three people could share a cable connection (and one of them was the host) which was also lightly being used by three computers was impressive enough. The person who was 50 miles away was on a different ISP, and we've found that they route the connection an additional 100 miles north before coming back down too us.

So all-in-all, I really wouldn't expect much bullet lag inherent in the game.

Top Bottom