• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
RE: CSHD, host advantage, shotty vs. Hammerbust...

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS SHIT? That's what gets me. Why create all these stupid problems when obvious solutions exist? It's not like Epic is a small studio without any resources or experience. AND WHAT'S EVEN STUPIDER IS THEY ALREADY KNOW HOW TO FIX IT AND THEY DID WITH UT3!

KevinRo

RSTEIN said:
RE: CSHD, host advantage, shotty vs. Hammerbust...

WHY THE FUCK ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THIS SHIT? That's what gets me. Why create all these stupid problems when obvious solutions exist? It's not like Epic is a small studio without any resources or experience. AND WHAT'S EVEN STUPIDER IS THEY ALREADY KNOW HOW TO FIX IT AND THEY DID WITH UT3!

People have been arguing this ever since XBL was created. The MLG community has begged and begged for this. The problem was rampant in Halo2 and bungie did absolutely nothing about it in Halo3. I doubt Epic would give a rats ass about putting time money and effort into dedicated hosts.

Animal

Banned
Though the game has some serious and down right embarrassing flaws in multiplayer, I am frequently having excellent gun fight scenarios that are just a blast to play. I am kind of surprised to say that I am really enjoying multiplayer at the moment.

Epic still has a small and very critical window in which it could save this game's multiplayer. After that, players will move on to better things for good.

HokieJoe

I wish Epic would introduce a low ammo variant of RTCW's FG42 (similar to Halo BR) with good recoil. Basically, it would be like the original Hammerburst (3 shot with good stopping power), but with a small scope. Would that spoil the balance in the game?

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Full Recovery said:
I agree, the bow is much easier to use now. Charge times are decreased and splash is increased. Cliffyb must suck with the bow. It was perfect in Gears 1.

You know sucks about the Torquebow is how screwed up it is in the campaign. It used to take down guys (even Boomers) in one hit, even on Insane, not anymore. And holy crap at the splash damage, if your playing on Hardcore or Insane and it hits within five feet of you, your dead (and if an undercharged shot lands near you, you'll at least be in the deep red).

F#A#Oo

Banned
Lastnight was some of the worst MP Gears 2 I have ever experienced. Me, Kaizoku, Munkyhero's brother and one of my friends. We kept getting games where our opponents had host and anytime we went near them they would gib us. Literally every shot was a gib...we couldn't even touch them and when we did it seemed like they were invincible...I have never re-spawned so much in a single match. One dude ended up with 31...31!!!shotgun kills...

It was so bad we just called it a night through sheer demoralisation...:lol

mYm|17|

hey are u guys still playing horde?

I finally played it tonight after a long hiatus with a few buddies, but we only had 3 including me. We definitely would of loved 2 more to get farther.

Spruchy

Play this game with 4 other friends and rarely networking problems get in the way.

If you have any sort of coordination the game will be so much fun by just trouncing on the other team.

Only thing that ruins it is the occasional bullshit nade and a shitty glitch.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
F#A#Oo said:
Lastnight was some of the worst MP Gears 2 I have ever experienced. Me, Kaizoku, Munkyhero's brother and one of my friends. We kept getting games where our opponents had host and anytime we went near them they would gib us. Literally every shot was a gib...we couldn't even touch them and when we did it seemed like they were invincible...I have never re-spawned so much in a single match. One dude ended up with 31...31!!!shotgun kills...

It was so bad we just called it a night through sheer demoralisation...:lol

yeah that was one of the few instances where host advantage completely kills the game - king of the hill on avalanche. The only way I got any kills was with the mortar, but most of the time the other team controlled the mortar as well.

during that one game of submission which was super laggy, I was trying to pick up the meatflag and ended up somehow doing the shotgun+shield glitch on him :lol I felt bad.

anyway at least we see that epic read this thread, that fake cliffy_b twitter account has changed now - just as it was mentioned in here. Coincidence?

They should get GAFFERs to playtest their game next time.

So I see there is an Gears 2 Play & Win contest going on through New Year's. Is it just going to be one of those "download this gamerpic" to enter things? I usually try to play on the Play & Win weekends for games that I have not only because of the contests, but just to play and enjoy games that I don't play all the time.

KevinRo

bumpkin said:
heh, big shock. "Soulja Boy" is one of the shotgun spamming scumbags that kill the fun online.

Uhm, the shotgun is Gears of War. Period.

It's either that or when playing MLG the hammerburst. :)

Falagard

bumpkin said:
heh, big shock. "Soulja Boy" is one of the shotgun spamming scumbags that kill the fun online.

Epic made the decision to have your primary weapon have a chainsaw (if you choose lancer). This means you have a good medium range weapon, and also an instant kill close range weapon. They also made the decision to have the shotgun be your secondary weapon. It has to be powerful enough to fend off the chainsaw.

They're interesting design decisions.

Shotgun doesn't ruin the game if it's working properly because it's half the formula of the game. I'm not saying it's a good formula or a bad one, but if you don't like it that's your problem. You have the right to bitch that you don't like it, just like anyone else, but it's about as productive as bitching about Halo's grenades/guns/melee formula.

Gig

Falagard said:
Epic made the decision to have your primary weapon have a chainsaw (if you choose lancer). This means you have a good medium range weapon, and also an instant kill close range weapon. They also made the decision to have the shotgun be your secondary weapon. It has to be powerful enough to fend off the chainsaw.

They're interesting design decisions.

Shotgun doesn't ruin the game if it's working properly because it's half the formula of the game. I'm not saying it's a good formula or a bad one, but if you don't like it that's your problem. You have the right to bitch that you don't like it, just like anyone else, but it's about as productive as bitching about Halo's grenades/guns/melee formula.

:lol :lol

Gig

Falagard said:
Wut? I wouldn't classify it as long range. Maybe medium to long range. It's not very effective at close range unless you get in chainsaw territory.

It's not effective at any range.

The Lancer really does need to be given a damage boost. I love the Lancer. I love the way it looks, the way it sounds. I love the "shooting" aspect of my shooters. It's a shame I don't get to use the Lancer more in multiplayer.

Falagard

Gig said:
It's not effective at any range.

Lancer is very effective as a medium range weapon. I didn't mean the chainsaw itself is a medium range weapon, if that's what's confusing you. I didn't word it correctly I see.

If you think Lancer isn't an effective weapon at medium to long range, that's pretty odd because I disagree completely.

I personally always use Hammerburst, but I don't get as many kills with it. I can easily down someone with a Lancer before they can down me if we're one on one but often can't finish them off - my teammates usually can before I can reload.

ToyMachine228 said:
The Lancer really does need to be given a damage boost. I love the Lancer. I love the way it looks, the way it sounds. I love the "shooting" aspect of my shooters. It's a shame I don't get to use the Lancer more in multiplayer.

Hell no, it'd throw off the balance of using a Hammerburst. If you don't like the power of the Lancer, use the Hammerburst instead. You have to trade the power for the lower ammo and inability to use a chainsaw though.

Falagard said:
Hell no, it'd throw off the balance of using a Hammerburst. If you don't like the power of the Lancer, use the Hammerburst instead. You have to trade the power for the lower ammo and inability to use a chainsaw though.

I'm not a fan of the new Hammerburst either. When I use it I'm pretty decent with it, but I still don't like it. I was a huge fan of the Hammerburst in the first game and that's probably why. Because it's changed so much. I was one of the only people on Live in the first Gears who constantly picked up the Hammerburst on maps like Mansion and Escalation:lol

Only time I find the lancer's bullets do any good is when someone picks up an item so they are standing still to soak up your laggy shots, but even then they will do some sort of trick to grab the gun while taking cover to avoid being downed.

Aladuf

Banned
Solideliquid said:
I was thinking of picking this up in a few days. Have the MP bugs been address yet?
Full Recovery found something on the Epic forums last night saying that we should have a patch on or before Christmas day.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Aladuf said:
Full Recovery found something on the Epic forums last night saying that we should have a patch on or before Christmas day.

That would be the greatest present I could hope for

Havnt played in like 3 weeks =(

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Aladuf said:
Supposedly this, and I don't know who the guy who posted it is supposed to be but everyone on the forums seemed to be anticipating what he had to say since he's in the know or something.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25857284&postcount=241

Yeah I just got done reading that, and I also find this:

TDbank24 wrote:
I just played a game with Cliffy B he seemed like really cool genuine guy. Don't worry this isn't a joke. I'm an insider so i requested that i be able to play with him at some point and he finally played with me today. I asked him a few questions about Gears 2 and what they plan to do to win back the fanbase as many of us are less than satisfied with the overall multiplayer experience and he said that it's definitely being looked into by himself and team Epic.

However, he told me that he is rather irked that the reception for the multiplayer has been rather negative so far because this was his vision for Gears of War, but he reiterated to me that he cares about the fan base that made Gears such a success in the first place and that's why he is even considering a patch. He told me the 2 main things that they are looking to tweak is the Shotgun and Smoke grenades, to what degree i'm not quite sure as he couldn't give me any solid details yet. I asked him if there was anything else they were looking to fix and he said the obvious that they are going to speed up the matchmaking process.

This is good news though, just thought i'd share with you that Cliffy and Epic ARE listening to us, so everyone can relax a bit. He couldn't give me an exact timeline on when we might see a patch but he said if there is a multiplayer overhaul expect it out by the end of winter at the latest. So sit tight, enjoy Gears 2 for what it is now and good things will come in time

Please don't ask me for Cliff's gamertag or anything like that, that's why i'm an insider, if everyone had this information i wouldn't be an insider because we'd all have the information already. Thanks everyone

http://forums.xbox.com/1/24809971/ShowPost.aspx#24809971

Don't know what to believe.

Baker

Banned
Spruchy said:
Play this game with 4 other friends and rarely networking problems get in the way.

If you have any sort of coordination the game will be so much fun by just trouncing on the other team.

Only thing that ruins it is the occasional bullshit nade and a shitty glitch.

This.

Since launch, I've usually only played with my one friend and randoms. Every match would be a lag/quitter fest. We'd end each night screaming and throwing tantrums.

I met up with Spruchy's group a couple days ago. In two nights, we've played at least 6-7 hours and only had like three loses and one bad lag match. It's a whole new game.

--

Whoever said they wanted to get some Horde going, I'm down. My vacation starts in two hours and I have nothing to do until Jan 5.

Flunkie

Banned
"Please don't ask me for Cliff's gamertag or anything like that, that's why i'm an insider, if everyone had this information i wouldn't be an insider because we'd all have the information already. Thanks everyone"

I believed it up until that. He said "insider" three times in that post.

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
"Please don't ask me for Cliff's gamertag or anything like that, that's why i'm an insider, if everyone had this information i wouldn't be an insider because we'd all have the information already. Thanks everyone"

Same thing that I was about to post. He keeps saying "insider", fail.

Baker

Banned
Flunkie said:

It's legit. I'm an insider too and that's how insiders talk, so I'm pretty confident he's an insider.

Gig

I want to get my hopes up, and it would great if the patch comes out soon, but there are a lot of things to fix.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I bet they have a cool secret handshake.

However, he told me that he is rather irked that the reception for the multiplayer has been rather negative so far because this was his vision for Gears of War

:lol Really? Reeeeaaaalllllly?

I assume in the limited testing they did it was a blast to play but come on. Within the first 10 minutes of playing this game I could've made a list as long as my arm about the glitches and bugs.

I still remember the first game I played. 5v5 on Day One. I got hit with a smoke and spent the next 30 seconds break dancing on the stairs. Then I got shotgunned in the face.

goldenpp72

gears multi has all the right stuff in it, the bugs, lag and glitches people exploit on top of the shitty match making is what is ruining it. The ONLY gameplay stuff I would fix is the stuff related to host/lag and the smoke grenades being WAY toned down, as well as the frag mine shit, they respawn so quick and there is no way to disable them, it is NOT fun to play a game of annex and spawn 5 times into random grenades.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The wall grenades wouldn't be so bad if it changed the amount of damage based on how far away you are from it. Right now it's, if you set it off you're dead. Maybe they could tone it down so,

if you're stood next to it you die,
if you're a meter or two away it will put you down
if you're 3-4 meters away it does damage and you do that cover your eyes thing.

Right now, if you see a grenade on a corner you can't jump past it and on maps like Jacinto people will barricade themselves upstairs and there's very little you can do.

You should be able to run past them but still take damage so the person who planted it has an advantage when he jumps out.

II VerTigo II said:

the OP of that thread is a fairly amusing troll.

The game was not accounted for in any way. That site would not tell you anything as to prove whether i played with him or not, sorry to burst your bubble

Again guys, take it with a grain of salt. I'm an insider, if i wanted to get on tv right now and prove to you guys that i played with Cliffy i probably could, that's how involved i am with the business. I'm simply trying to help

I really have to go now though, i just wanted to bring you guys the news

:lol

Top Bottom