• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

F#A#Oo

Banned
Ahhh man! I was well excited about getting up to maybe finding an update...:lol

It's probably about the only thing I've been highly anticipating the last month or so...ah well...

goldenpp72

hey guys.. anyone here willing to help me get the submission 10 captures achievement? I need a party that will help me and not suck ass.. thanks :(

whitehawk

Banned
Holy shit, that video. There are SO MANY GLITCHES. Even more than Gears 1. I dare you to try gears 1 right now, there is so much less lag. I love it.

Aladuf

Banned
I think what I want patched into this game more than anything else is host migration. It's really wearing on me to dominate a match and then have the host quit the match leaving the winning team to basically fuck off.

whitehawk

Banned
Or you know.. Dedicated servers are always good.

I mean I understand why Microsoft and Epic wouldn't supply servers to their second largest grossing video game series with countless fans playing online all the time, but hey, it's an idea.

whitehawk

Banned
Seriously though, I don't own many game, but I just got COD5 recently, and there is basically no lag. It's so awesome. There are also no glitches or bullshit to be seen. What's the deal?

Dedicated servers make everything better.

ashism

Video is already getting good amount of hits. Hopefully this expedites the patching process. I want to like this game. I want to.

That glitch video. :lol :lol

People are encountering glitches left and right. No way all these didn't pop up during testing. MS shipped game anyway. :lol

EazyB

Banned
whitehawk said:
Seriously though, I don't own many game, but I just got COD5 recently, and there is basically no lag. It's so awesome. There are also no glitches or bullshit to be seen. What's the deal?

Dedicated servers make everything better.
Does CoD5 have dedicated servers?

KevinRo

wtf! its christmas and mother fuckers are standbying me in GoW?? WTF have some dignity.

*stealth edit*

shit is pretty rampant, if you go in as a group of 5 that are level 4+ you're most likley to get cheated 25% of the time. i've been cheated 4 times yesterday and already once this early morning. fix this epic. NOW

*stealth edit2*

oh yeah, here is awebsite that describes how to cheat in Halo3 and GoW2.

se7ensins.com

Aladuf said:
I think what I want patched into this game more than anything else is host migration. It's really wearing on me to dominate a match and then have the host quit the match leaving the winning team to basically fuck off.

Seriously this should be a standard yet some devs don't get it. CoD4 especially pissed me off. Blows my mind.

Aladuf

Banned
whitehawk said:
What, really?

Then in that case, Epic has no fucking excuse.
Yep, and nope they have no excuse.

Grimm Fandango said:
Seriously this should be a standard yet some devs don't get it. CoD4 especially pissed me off. Blows my mind.
It seriously sucks.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
whitehawk said:
Or you know.. Dedicated servers are always good.

I mean I understand why Microsoft and Epic wouldn't supply servers to their second largest grossing video game series with countless fans playing online all the time, but hey, it's an idea.

Can't. Epic/Midway are too busy spending money on dedicated servers for UT3 (yeah :lol).

Aladuf said:
...no?

It's the same as CoD4 online, iirc. I has really good netcode, that's for sure.

Yeah, and each player hosting his/her own hit-detection is ace.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
AndyMoogle said:
Perfect Dark Zero had great host migration at launch. 3 years ago. Epic just plain out sucks with net code.

Yeah, again, this is what really boggles my mind. It's not like we're in 2006 and everyone is still trying to figure out Xbox Live. So many games have already laid out a clear blueprint for Epic to follow... Rare, Bungie, Infinity Ward. These games are all P2P, can handle way more players, feature host migration, have little to no lag, and don't have any real host advantage for one team or one player.

Fuck >.>

The Chef

Aight guys I need some help desperately on Horde.

Me and my brother just breezed through 9 levels but the second we got to 10
everything just went fubar. The damn locusts mounts are a pain in the ass
to take down and are so friggen fast. We cant seem to beat level 10.

Whats a good map and strat you guys are using?

mittelos

The Chef said:

I haven't played as much as a lot of the guys here, but me and a couple of friends got through all 50 waves on Security. Just holed-up behind the back set of gates. Ran for ammo in between waves which are really east to come by in the middle of the map.

Also, the Gorgon pistol is your friend against blood mounts. Love that pistol..

unomas

Banned
Haven't played Gears 2 online mp in weeks and I come back to see this new glitch video. Damn epic, who tested the game? I was complaining about the broken gameplay from the start, but I had no idea it had so many glitches. It seemed more laggy after the patch and for me that was all I needed to stop playing. Looks like I'll be picking up COD WAW pretty soon for my online multi fix. Might be time to sell Gears 2 or trade it in towards COD WAW.

Llyranor

The Chef said:

Set up defensive perimeters. Plant grenades where you need to, and stick shields into the ground where the enemy mounts might have a chance to attack you from. Getting them blocked like this can save you time, and possibly your life as well.

Other enemies can kick shields down, though, so careful.

Johnkers

Llyranor said:
Set up defensive perimeters. Plant grenades where you need to, and stick shields into the ground where the enemy mounts might have a chance to attack you from. Getting them blocked like this can save you time, and possibly your life as well.

Other enemies can kick shields down, though, so careful.

Planet the shields backwards and they won't be kicked down. Will have to be replanted between sounds though

Finally got around to finishing Gears SP on Xmas Day. Very enjoyable. Especially co-op. I was initially sort of turned off after playing a few levels by myself but either the game starts slowly and ramps up or the co-op is just that enjoyable. Probably a mix of both.

Now the question is whether I should try MP. Is it really as bad as all the impressions on GAF from other threads have led me to believe?

AllGamer said:
No, it's even worse -.-

;)

Unfortunate. The single player is so fun it has me kinds of itching to try it. What's the major problem? Exploits that people know how to use and are very frequent or just balance issues. Balance issues I can live with and adjust to (even a bit of lag also). People cheating though is a bit tougher to stomach.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
Now the question is whether I should try MP. Is it really as bad as all the impressions on GAF from other threads have led me to believe?

It has issues...and there is alot of adapting to do...but it's still enjoyable.

Stoney Mason said:
;)

Unfortunate. The single player is so fun it has me kinds of itching to try it. What's the major problem. Exploits that people know how to use and are very frequent or just balance issues. Balance issues I can live with and adjust to (even a bit of lag also). People cheating though is a bit tougher to stomach.

You will come across the odd person that cheats it's not frequent but you will come across it nonetheless. Especially on certain maps more then others. Gridlock, Pavilion and Avalanche. The shield glitch is what I'm coming across alot and all those maps have a shield.

Stoney Mason said:
Finally got around to finishing Gears SP on Xmas Day. Very enjoyable. Especially co-op. I was initially sort of turned off after playing a few levels by myself but either the game starts slowly and ramps up or the co-op is just that enjoyable. Probably a mix of both.

It's nigh unplayable if you don't live in the US. If you live in the US, I'd imagine you'd get decent connections half of the time.
For me (being an Aussie), it's a nightmare. 80% of the games have around 2 seconds of bullet lag.

Maybe they should just go back to server lists with an added region filter. That would be perfect.

mattso

this gears seems easier than the first. Started it up for the first time today on hardcore and my teammates never seem to be downed and I've rarely had to redo a part more than once

fun as hell though

FF_VIII

Banned
I hate Dom. He is an annoying whiny bitch and I don't see the appeal of him. When he's not stating the obvious (it's like he thinks you're blind) he asks stupid questions. "What's that?" I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS DOM, I HAVEN'T SEEN IT BEFORE!

Why can't Cole or Dizzy be with Marcus? :(

I never played GOW1 so is there some reason he's there or something?

I went over the campaing on the hardest setting selectable at the very start and it felt like casual on gears 1, but anyway the story is fantastic and done well, was an amazing experiance over about 12 hours of solid gameing (I don't rush or rodie run through the game at all)

After all I seen and heard over multi i'm doing to dip in today and check it out, playing bots is quite cool though and i'm glad Epic put them in for us.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
FF_VIII said:
I hate Dom. He is an annoying whiny bitch and I don't see the appeal of him. When he's not stating the obvious (it's like he thinks you're blind) he asks stupid questions. "What's that?" I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS DOM, I HAVEN'T SEEN IT BEFORE!

There's actually a really good video that explains this. Search the recent behind-the-scenes videos that Epic put out before Gears 2 launched.

They didn't want to have Marcus saying all these obvious things. As the player, you're the one interpreting what you see and how you interact with the world. Epic didn't want to have your character interpret the world for you. That's your job. Dom is basically a story device that points out things as you go along and leads you to certain areas. Check out the video, it's really good. It's a technique that's used in a lot of different types of mediums (books, movies, games, etc.).

Doodlebug

Is installing this game recommended? I want to install it to nullify noise produced by the disc spinning, even if there are no great improvements in load times--but does doing so produce any negative effects?

Doodlebug said:
Is installing this game recommended? I want to install it to nullify noise produced by the disc spinning, even if there are no great improvements in load times--but does doing so produce any negative effects?
not really

loading isn't dramatically improved but there is less texture pop-in

sinnergy

Doodlebug said:

I didn't encounter any problems, loads a bit fast, which is nice.

Right after a good 8 hours of multi all I have to say is that it's terrible.

Match starts, 2 people leave because they die first.
Another match starts and the guy asks everyone how to quit to save his rank.
Another match starts up 3 on 5, me on the 3.

It's so annoying to have the host quit also because you are 1 round away from a win, or he dies and gets pissed off and turn off his xbox or something, also ranks are the worse thing they could have added to multiplayer because now it's full of quitters who want to rank up and not lose their high rank and the matchmaking system is totaly one sided, me being a low rank get teamed up with mostly other low ranks fair enough but the rival team is usually a set of close ranks that are leagues above us, unfair round untill the host quits or half my team quit.

Even on horde, so far being extremely fun... people will quit because it's not river or the host quits instead of waiting for a few minutes for the latest wave to end so he can respawn.

The list goes on.

I look foward to this upcoming update to fix some of the problems like shield glitching and the sorts but the multi overall is just a mess, some gaffers will have to invite me into a party so we can play a full 5 on 5 to avoid single player quitters. Like some have said in this thread when the game works well it's great fun and entertaining but there are too many flaws which ruin more games then worthwhile.

Extra, grenade proxy wall tagging is a great feature and i've been suprised a lot by smokes, but proxy frag grenades are the worse thing that IMO ruins gears online. Ink grenades are quite avoidable even if hit unless you walk directly into the thing but frags are just the most cheap death i've yet to experiance over host shotgun and sniper in gears 1.

Also on the lag, I don't think I've been host yet but my lag is half of gears 1's, on a scale of 10 dots being a second I would rate my average lag by:

Gears 1 : [......|...]
Gears 2 : [...|......] sometimes near instant, I can kill with the shotty now!

Unless the match is just laggy or my family are loading a large website on the network.

Top Bottom