• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Doodlebug said:
Is installing this game recommended? I want to install it to nullify noise produced by the disc spinning, even if there are no great improvements in load times--but does doing so produce any negative effects?
Loading is indeed faster.

The only negative is the game hiccups for half a second when getting to a checkpoint.

dallow_bg said:
Loading is indeed faster.

The only negative is the game hiccups for half a second when getting to a checkpoint.
I installed it the moment I first played it so have never played it from disc, but does the end of a multi round always mess up the sound like a fade out then back in when a round ends and the scoreboard appears from a photo camera? I can live with it but I find it odd why it does so, against bots it was smooth as butter.

bumpkin

Man, the lengths some people will go to to "win" online blows my mind. I just got done playing a half hour long game of Annex on Blood Drive against what may have been the dirtiest players I've encountered to date. They of course were using nothing but the Gnasher to two-piece every chance they got, but moreover, they planted grenades in the doorway off of the spawn points. So you get two-pieced, respawn, rush to get to the scoring zone only to get blown to bits the moment you round the corner. To top it all off, when the match was over -- the scumbags LOST -- the host quit before the final countdown completed. Too bad the match already got recorded as a loss for him and his merry band; checked my stats on the official site and the win is in there. :D

To them I say FUCK YOU. You're the people who make playing the game online not much fun at all. I was pretty much infuriated by the time the match was over. If anyone's curious -- it'd be funny if they post here -- a few of the opposing team's gamertags were:

SM Outlaw
SM Scorpion
TEXAS NINO

I'm up for a 5 team gaf party tonight if anyone wants in, i'm UK based so maybe a UK party? I would like to experiance the game with a bunch of you.

Gamertag is "Diablohead UK"

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Diablohead said:
I'm up for a 5 team gaf party tonight if anyone wants in, i'm UK based so maybe a UK party? I would like to experiance the game with a bunch of you.

Gamertag is "Diablohead UK"

I'd be up for it, but my friends list is currently full, will have to spend some time ditching some folks.

mattso

played horde for the first time last night. so much fun. I definitely want to play with some of you guys soon

gamertag: Fidel Mattstro

tim1138

Got this for Christmas from my wife and wrapped up the campaign this morning. I was definitely
a bit disappointed with the lack of the Hammer of Dawn going into the end of the game, but the last level more than made up for it.
Dom definitely did get annoying, and I was glad in the segments when you split off with Cole.
The only part that really bothered me was the fight with
Skorge. The whole time I was chainsaw dueling him, all I could think was why doesn't Dom just walk up and shot him in the head or gut him from behind with his Lancer.
I had a better time with it this than the first and was glad to see narrative fleshed out a bit with some actual story segments thrown in. At some point I'll try out the multi, but I wasn't a big fan of it in the first Gears and I also have Fallout 3 to start.

Shins

Banned
palmas.jpg

So anyway I think gears might have updated the silver account/48 trial rules

I thought at first I was banned from multiplayer....Because in the last few days I've had numerous people sending me hate messages complaining/cursing about me supposedly "lagswitching" or "standbying".

I would shrug it off because I don't have one, and never have...and most situations weren't beneficial to me so why would they point me out? Id just message them back calling the idiots or whatnot, telling them they just suck and they must especially suck seeing how Im not guilty of the charge.

Anyway I can play campaign online, I can play all other games online....but when I try to play public/private matches it says,

"Cannot Play Online
Your current gamer profile settings do not allow playing online games.
To continue, all signed-in gamer profiles must have settings that
allow online play."

I can only play online matches if my brothers GOLD account is signed in with me (splitscreen)

And I can't join an XBL party, but I can join private chats. Also I still can play other games online. (COD:WAW)

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
So Aladuf, Full Recovery, and ThirdEngine sold their Xboxes.

I'm drowning in the irony of Flunkie being the only one left with a retail copy of Gears of War 2, but there it is. :p
Recovery didn't sell and I still have Gears 1 and 2. :D

Spruchy

Shins said:
So Aladuf, Full Recovery, and ThirdEngine sold their Xboxes.

I'm drowning in the irony of Flunkie being the only one left with a retail copy of Gears of War 2, but there it is. :p

With everyone else out, I'll sell the game now too. Haven't played since late November anyway. See you guys for Gears 3!

only kidding about seeing you all for Gears 3. I don't know most of you, and the ones I do know, I hate.

Nobody cares.

Sorry for not playing last night, I had an unexpected phone call and saw some friends before I head back to uni for 6 months.

I will be online most of today so feel free to send any invites, my cousin may be around for some games too.

Hellraizer said:
Fucking bugs, I haven't received the Co-op achievement, though I played through the whole game with someone else.
Does carmine training count also? been doing it just to be safe for the hardest mode etc.

Diablohead said:
Does carmine training count also? been doing it just to be safe for the hardest mode etc.
I don't know. Some of my buddies told me they didn't do it and still got it. There is also a FAQ on xbox360achievements which says you have to complete a full act/chapter, without going out, so it can count. Though I think this isn't true since I quit many times and played with different persons, and only one chapter is missing since the bar is almost full.

Also, wtf @ Wingman? 2-3 times me and my buddy were winning and "suddenly" the connection drops. Apparently it's thanks to the standby glitch, where someone blocks all ips on his firewall and everyone drops out of the match. He becomes the instant winnar. Fuck that.

Penguin

Aladuf said:
So you have games for a system you no longer own?

Hey, I'm sll for the selling of your consoles, I get some awesome deals in the fire sale. :lol

Facism

The On Timers said:
So anyway I think gears might have updated the silver account/48 trial rules

I thought at first I was banned from multiplayer....Because in the last few days I've had numerous people sending me hate messages complaining/cursing about me supposedly "lagswitching" or "standbying".

I would shrug it off because I don't have one, and never have...and most situations weren't beneficial to me so why would they point me out? Id just message them back calling the idiots or whatnot, telling them they just suck and they must especially suck seeing how Im not guilty of the charge.

Anyway I can play campaign online, I can play all other games online....but when I try to play public/private matches it says,

"Cannot Play Online
Your current gamer profile settings do not allow playing online games.
To continue, all signed-in gamer profiles must have settings that
allow online play."

I can only play online matches if my brothers GOLD account is signed in with me (splitscreen)

And I can't join an XBL party, but I can join private chats. Also I still can play other games online. (COD:WAW)

wait wait, you could play onlines splitscreen public matches with a silver account as long as the other guy is signed in with a gold account?

Is this true?

[edit]ah fuck just tried it and it doesn't work. Taking this to GAME tomorrow, tired of not being able to play online with my bro and waiting for a patch that may or may not sort this issue out for me. Buying a secondary Gold account isn't a solution i'm willing to go for with my limited budget. :( :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Black_Ice said:
Wow. People are selling Gears now?

Wow.

The game is broken beyond repair. I like it, but its frustrating to no end. The SP is an amazing experience, the MP not so much.

Big, BIG disappointment when you realize Epic doesn't give a shit about its fans and didn't fix a goddamned thing from Gears 1. To add salt to the wound, they release a freaking 3 map DLC for $10 without a patch first. Proves they are just in for the money (they are a business I know, but Gears 3 might not go so well).

Relix said:
The game is broken beyond repair. I like it, but its frustrating to no end. The SP is an amazing experience, the MP not so much.

Big, BIG disappointment when you realize Epic doesn't give a shit about its fans and didn't fix a goddamned thing from Gears 1. To add salt to the wound, they release a freaking 3 map DLC for $10 without a patch first. Proves they are just in for the money (they are a business I know, but Gears 3 might not go so well).

Holy fucking shit are you bitter or what. It's a fucking game, give them time. They'll fix it, what needs to be fixed will be fixed.

The map pack was planned WAY before the release of the game probably. Bugs and glitch take time.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Littleberu said:
Holy fucking shit are you bitter or what. It's a fucking game, give them time. They'll fix it, what needs to be fixed will be fixed.

The map pack was planned WAY before the release of the game probably. Bugs and glitch take time.

And that's why. I paid $60 for a good experience, especially when it was so hyped, so its insulting that Gears 2 has practically the same glitches from Gears 1 plus more. They didn't fix Gears 1 in two years. What makes you think they will fix 2?

Also, there wouldn't be as many bugs and glitches if someone QA'ed the game. From the looks of it no one did. Plus, they should have delayed the maps until the game, you know, worked properly more than 20% of the time.

Facism

Black_Ice said:

Wow.

Am i not allowed too, Sir? Too shocking and unbelievable, Sir?

I expected that i was going to be able to play this online with my brother as a Guest like the first game/Halo 3/every other MP 360 game i own. We're restricted to private matches, they don't really work very well when you want to play a bunch of matches and half your friendslist would rather play something else. We can't play this game competently when we have our fortnightly LAN sessions, because half of the people involved don't own 360s or have Gold. Guest accounts ensured a fun time for all.

I don't even care about most of the issues with glitches and whatnot, just the Guest play debacle.

Was hoping there would be a remedy to this eventually, but i'd rather sell this off now whilst I can still get some ok money for it, instead of hoping Epic eventually fixes it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I pretend there is no pvp in gears and I love it.

Horde mode is what turned me on to L4D which is also massively awesome.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Facism said:

I don't care, really. I did have fun playing with Some GAFFers back before Gears 2 came out and eventually I was going to join them for Gears 2, but it's not a big deal.

Slightly surprised, yes. You can sell whatever you want. I'll still have fun with it.

And I'm not denying it's broken, but it's still funny as shit with my friends, and there are only 2-4 people I play with.

X26

Banned
Black_Ice said:

Wow.

When I'm done my insane run I might, by then I'll have beat it twice and a lot of horde...not much else left to do. I loved the MP in gears 1, but in 2 I can't stand it. Not because of glitches or slow matchmaking, I can live with those knowing they can eventually be fixed, it's the asinine gameplay decisions they made that just ruined it for me

bumpkin

Black_Ice said:

Wow.
I'm more surprised people are selling their 360's over the MP bugs. I've probably put in 20 someodd hours playing multiplayer and though I'm sure I've encountered some of the cheaters, I've generally had a good time. My only real complaints about the game are the broken/oft overpowered shotgun, smoke grenades being concussive like frags w/o the dismemberment, and the fact people keep dropping from matches when something isn't to their liking/advantage. Other than that, I'd say 7 out of 10 matches I play are fine.

But I'll tell ya, what I really need is more friends who are online the same time I am and down for some Gears. Seems like they're always playing something different, "away" or simply seem to ignore my invites... Douches. I've still gotta beat Horde -- farthest I've gotten to is wave 18 -- and it'd be nice to have some regular multi with people who will play fair. In a perfect world there'd also be a no shotgun rule, but guess you can't win 'em all. :lol

...in frustration I two-pieced someone last night and I felt really dirty. I hate when people do it to me, but there was some dirty shit going down. The other team was a bunch of rank 3's and 4's, and it was laggy as shit. I think they were somehow host-advantaging.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The thing is...I don't even think Horde is that fun. Concept is cool and everything but I get much more satifaction beating the shit out of actual people in MP. I've hardly played any Horde.

I agree and disagree with a lot of the MP stuff, but before I think about doing anything with the game i'm holding out for the update. I've also traded in too many games to either buy them later or regret it.

Diablohead said:
I agree and disagree with a lot of the MP stuff, but before I think about doing anything with the game i'm holding out for the update. I've also traded in too many games to either buy them later or regret it.

I, and many of my friends, are waiting until they patch it as well.

PSGames

Facism said:

I expected that i was going to be able to play this online with my brother as a Guest like the first game/Halo 3/every other MP 360 game i own. We're restricted to private matches, they don't really work very well when you want to play a bunch of matches and half your friendslist would rather play something else. We can't play this game competently when we have our fortnightly LAN sessions, because half of the people involved don't own 360s or have Gold. Guest accounts ensured a fun time for all.

I don't even care about most of the issues with glitches and whatnot, just the Guest play debacle.

Was hoping there would be a remedy to this eventually, but i'd rather sell this off now whilst I can still get some ok money for it, instead of hoping Epic eventually fixes it.

Yes what a fucking kick in the groan to their fans. I asked a couple times in this thread about it and people acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. Gears 1 had guest play WTF did they remove that for the sequel? It fucking sucks.

Mohonky

Personally, I've made a point of not putting Gears 2 in my 360 till the multiplayer is fixed. I don't want to contribute to Gears 2's Live tracking for each week.

I can't play a single game because of the lag. It's utterly pathetic. Local Search Filter and I'd be playing it every night, but it's utterly pointless trying to play under the current match making scheme, it just fucks the game entirely.

Never mind the complaints people are having about the gameplay itself, I can't even play the game to tell if the balancing really is out.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'm always better than my teammates. Two matches in a row and I've had more kills than my entire team combined.

Matchmaking fucking sucks.

DoomGyver

Aladuf said:

If the patch doesn't bring a miracle, I'm most likely selling my copy as well. Why should I continue to play a game if I'm not having fun? The past two months have only been fun online because I've had plenty of friends to play private matches with. But the people on my friends list is dwindling, fast.

Gears is the main reason I have a 360, and if I'm not gonna play it anymore why own it?

Why put up with the bullshit? I bought Socom the other day and it has a region filter AND dedicated servers, and it's a downloadable title! What gives?

I'm just tired of the shit that comes with Gears 2, rich creamy shit.

HAHA OH WOW what a bitch of a game we just had in execution.

It was like every round the opposing team was using a different glitch, 3 of them at least the other 2 must have been regular players or something.

Round 1: they were roadie running in all directions with no gun in hand, immune to nearly all bullets for a while until the round drew.

Round 2: Same shit again

Round 3: Must have done some stupid router ip trick because my ammo would not drop, I kept getting stuck to walls and causing no damage when shooting them but they could attack me as regular as normal.

Round 4: They were invincible again, my grenade tag on them did nothing and didn't even explode, they kill us.

First time i've quit a gears 2 match, so fucking stupid i've had enough and sticking to horde or co-op, I just hope this upcoming patch is not a castle crashers long wait and actually does something, the whole lag switch shit is going to be hard to remove i'd imagine. To make things worse I was unable to then connect to my cousin to do more co-op because somehow live was acting up and not letting us join each other even after a full console reboot and reconnect to live.

So. Damn. Rubbish.

Full Recovery said:
If the patch doesn't bring a miracle, I'm most likely selling my copy as well. Why should I continue to play a game if I'm not having fun? The past two months have only been fun online because I've had plenty of friends to play private matches with. But the people on my friends list is dwindling, fast.

Gears is the main reason I have a 360, and if I'm not gonna play it anymore why own it?

Why put up with the bullshit? I bought Socom the other day and it has a region filter AND dedicated servers, and it's a downloadable title! What gives?

I'm just tired of the shit that comes with Gears 2, rich creamy shit.

And here they are, again, in full force.

You're comparing SOCOM to Gears 2.

DoomGyver

Littleberu said:
And here they are, again, in full force.

You're comparing SOCOM to Gears 2.

What exactly are you implying here? Did you play Gears 1 religiously and find Gears 2 lackluster? I sure as hell did.

Would you like me to compare it to RSV? COD? Hmm? I can, but no.. since I chose a PS3 game
OMG LOL
I'm obviously just trying to trash this game for the Lulz.

Now sit the fuck down and eat your applesauce.

Full Recovery said:
What exactly are you implying here? Did you play Gears 1 religiously and find Gears 2 lackluster? I sure as hell did.

Would you like me to compare it to RSV? COD? Hmm? I can, but no.. since I chose a PS3 game
OMG LOL

You're the one that needs to calm down. Lower your expectations and learn how to enjoy a game.

Spruchy

Full Recovery said:

OMG LOL

The amount of overreacting and BS in your posts are overwhelming.

whitehawk

Banned
Holy shit, I was actually host for the first time last night, and what a difference it was :lol I was owning EVERYONE with the shotgun. I was unstoppable :lol I now realize how horrible the host advantage is.

God dammit epic :lol

Diablohead said:
Multi is fucked, unless you lan with friends or play co-op and horde.

I know, and I understand. I'm just not tearing my shirts over this small details. They'll patch it up eventually, and there's enough of a game in Gears 2 to play while you wait.

Top Bottom