• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

whitehawk

Banned
AMUSIX said:
A note on lag.

Last night 4 friends and I played Horde for about 7 hours. Three of us were in the same house, using three different systems, all wirelessly logged in to a 10/1 cable connection. The other two people were at two separate locations (10 miles and 50 miles away, respectively). None of us experienced even a moment of lag.

Now, I know this isn't the best test (as we weren't playing adversarial, and we were all within close proximity of eachother) but certain things do show the efficiency of the net code. The fact that three people could share a cable connection (and one of them was the host) which was also lightly being used by three computers was impressive enough. The person who was 50 miles away was on a different ISP, and we've found that they route the connection an additional 100 miles north before coming back down too us.

So all-in-all, I really wouldn't expect much bullet lag inherent in the game.
Good to hear :D

Aladuf said:
Fixed

*If all the guys want to play on Day One :D
Well, of course, and I will be playing DAY ONE. It's just that Gridlock was my favorite map from Gears of War 1, and so I would like to have a go at Horde Mode on it.

Edit: Is Warzone like the first Gears where if you die you don't get to spawn until the next round, or is it just to a certain number of kills to win with infinite amount of spawns?

Aladuf

Banned
Was this ever posted? IGN has a Gears 2 Reader Q&A. There's some good questions in there that get answered.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/926/926164p1.html

One tidbit in there I liked hearing was about the length of Horde:

"Horde mode has 50 waves and it's very gratifying. It took us five hours to get to Wave 41 in the IGN office. So yes, you'll get your money's worth."

Seems like Horde is lengthy as hell and who knows what difficulty they we're playing on, and since I assume they weren't playing on Insane then who knows how much longer that could take. With a length like that we can be assured that there are continues and you don't have to start over if you lose. Can't waiiiiiiit.

Aladuf

Banned
Dax01 said:
Well, of course, and I will be playing DAY ONE. It's just that Gridlock was my favorite map from Gears of War 1, and so I would like to have a go at Horde Mode on it.
No, I was talking about the map "Day One". :p

Aladuf said:
One tidbit in there I liked hearing was about the length of Horde:

"Horde mode has 50 waves and it's very gratifying. It took us five hours to get to Wave 41 in the IGN office. So yes, you'll get your money's worth."

Seems like Horde is lengthy as hell and who knows what difficulty they we're playing on, and since I assume they weren't playing on Insane then who knows how much longer that could take. With a length like that we can be assured that there are continues and you don't have to start over if you lose. Can't waiiiiiiit.
I believe somewhere in there he says that Insane is a lost cause because the 41 he was referring to was on Casual. :D

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
I believe somewhere in there he says that Insane is a lost cause because the 41 he was referring to was on Casual. :D
Oh shit, Horde in Insane will take a good while! :D

whitehawk

Banned
Hello,

First I just want to say awesome coverage, I've been following along for months now.

My biggest question would be do the achievements unlock once you hit the requisite? Or is it like in Gears 1 where you might have to get 15,000 kills instead of 10,000 for the "Seriously..." achievement.

Thanks very much,
Ben P.

IGN: Thanks, Ben! About time someone gave us a compliment in all these damn questions. Gears 2 has cool trackers that pop up every so often to let you know your progress on different achievements. You'll have a great time getting Seriously 2.0 which is 100,000 kills. I beat the game my first time through with 1200 kills and my second time had 1400.
So there's an idea of how long it will take to get Seriously 2.0. Should be a lot easier actually. Plus if you add Horde in there, it will go by pretty fast.

Do you know if the Gold guns are swappable? In that, if you get the gold gun, are you stuck with it, or can you revert back to the traditional lancer?

-Omar

IGN: Yes, they're swappable. You can elect to have a gold version of the Lancer or the regular version before every match. Also, if you swap out your Lancer with another gun in-game, then someone else can come and pick up your golden gun.
I'm glad to hear this, since I wasn't so sure I wanted the golden weapons.

Aladuf

Banned
whitehawk said:
I'm glad to hear this, since I wasn't so sure I wanted the golden weapons.
I'm definitely glad to hear that you can swap them too. I wasn't sure if I wanted to have a golden weapon at all times or not.

AMUSIX

Aladuf said:
Oh shit, Horde in Insane will take a good while! :D
Last night we hit wave 25, playing on Hardcore. Probably took us a little over 5 hours to do it (we went wave 1-15 and then reset on a different map). There seems to be 10 waves that recycle. That is, wave 11 and 12 are the same as wave 1 and 2 or wave 21 and 22. The difference is that in the teens, the locust get double health. Then in the 20's they get double health and double accuracy.
I can't deny that I'm a little disappointed by this, as it seems a cheap way of handling things. Would have liked to see 50 unique waves. Also, considering this, I'm surprised there are only 50 waves. Could they think of only 4 different 'power up' combinations?
That said, the mode is a blast, and getting a rest every 10 waves helps immensely (that is, you'll find wave 11 much easier than 10, and 21 eaier than 20).

The best part was how our strategy needed to change. We started out finding a defensible base, high ground from which we could take out the waves as they came. Later levels, however, made it feel less like a safe-haven and more like a pen where we were trapped. It'll also be interesting to see what happens when our team changes. As it was, we had our tactician, explosives/heavy gunner, aggressor, and support/runner all present. Found that we did very well on Security, ok on Crossroads, but not so well on Pavillion. Tuesday we will add our sniper, which should allow us to do better on Avalanche and Mansion.

zewone

Seriously 2.0 will not be fast. It'll take at least 30 hours of playing the same area, over and over again.

tiong_fi

Only 18 hours and 10 minutes until the embargo is lifted... can't wait to see other people's opinions about the game and reactions to my review.

Kibbles

Aladuf said:
Nice, I was actually just wondering when we'd be seeing the reviews flow in tomorrow.

Edit: Just noticed that Gamespots' review might be posted at around the same time.
GameTrailers isn't until Tuesday at around that time :\

striKeVillain! said:
Just put down 2 more games towards Gears 2 and that brings my total owed for the game down to $5.13. Whoo! :D
villa-gaf.jpg

Lkr

Hey guys, serious question here. Is it confirmed best buy will have the LE? I want to pre-order somewhere besides GameStop to get a bonus. I won't be at midnight launch, so their "bonus" of a golden hammerburst is worthless to me. Circuit City is making you take pre-orders over the phone or online, which I do not want to do, so that leaves Best Buy. They do not list the LE anywhere. Any info on this?

whitehawk

Banned
Lkr said:
Hey guys, serious question here. Is it confirmed best buy will have the LE? I want to pre-order somewhere besides GameStop to get a bonus. I won't be at midnight launch, so their "bonus" of a golden hammerburst is worthless to me. Circuit City is making you take pre-orders over the phone or online, which I do not want to do, so that leaves Best Buy. They do not list the LE anywhere. Any info on this?
What's the problem here? Just do that.

Kibbles

[edit] Nevermind, IGN has a correction. False alarm.

I still can't believe they took Beserkers out :\ It would be crazy to have them in Horde :eek:

Chinner

Banned
Hay guys should I stop playing Gears considering how close the sequel is? Ya know, to make the experience more fresh or something.

Chinner said:
Hay guys should I stop playing Gears considering how close the sequel is? Ya know, to make the experience more fresh or something.
I stopped playing Gears of War multiplayer when the Halo 3 Beta came out (the H3 beta essentially ruined GoW MM for me), but I'll probably fire up the campaign of Gears of War 2 tomorrow. You know, to get a feel for the game again.

Chinner

Banned
Dax01 said:
I stopped playing Gears of War multiplayer when the Halo 3 Beta came out (the H3 beta essentially ruined GoW MM for me), but I'll probably fire up the campaign of Gears of War 2 tomorrow. You know, to get a feel for the game again.
i restarted playing it again because its fun and im bored of all the other mutiplayers out there.

NeXuSDK

Damn, just got my copy the other day and finally just had time to sit down and play a bit of campaign, horde and multiplayer... not much multiplayer as I'm getting some serious ass whooping :)

Playing through campaign for the second time is suprisingly gratifying and I still haven't reached the part where it really begins to take off. Oh and Horde is very nice as well, but will be even more fun when my friends get the game and we can start slaying Locust together.

Aladuf

Banned
Chinner said:
I stopped playing it as much as I normally have for the past 2 years. I took a 4 day break last week and have played a couple times in the past couple nights. I think if you've played it a lot then maybe giving it a break could help, but if you don't play Gears a lot anyways then stopping probably wouldn't matter.

Aladuf

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Wow seems like everyone has this game.
Seeing a couple of people on my friends list pop up with the game in the past couple of days is KILLING me. But it's almost here so I'll live. :/

Aladuf said:
Seeing a couple of people on my friends list pop up with the game in the past couple of days is KILLING me. But it's almost here so I'll live. :/
Same here. I actually deleted them because I was so pissed. :lol

Lkr

whitehawk said:
What's the problem here? Just do that.
You get one of those people in India with the name Mike, but does not know what Gears of War 2 means.
Me: I'd like to pre-order Gears of War 2
Him: What is the location of your store
I give it to him
Him: There are no PS3s in stock there

I hung up. I'd rather just get the game for sure on Friday at Gamestop.

Arnie

Just thought, us people in the UK are 7 hours ahead of you US people. That means I should be rocking my copy on XBL whilst you guys are warming up for your midnight launch.

My first Horde map will be River, definetly.

JB1981

-ARNiE- said:
:lol
I love it. Gears sure has come a long way. Marcus's voice cracks me up.
Jesus Christ. Cover mechanics and shooting were awful at that stage. I remember watching the behind the scenes doc on the original dvd and the dev crew talked about how they thought the game was shit ... it was just duck and cover... duck and cover ... duck and cover. And they had to overhaul the entire cover system. They really turned things around. Incredible how a game could go from that slow and plodding to so beautifully functional and FUN. Wow.

Aladuf

Banned
Shins said:
why is he showcasing the one flashback map they've already seen plenty of

fucking idiot
He did Tyro before he did Gridlock. He's just going by what the people in the chat are suggesting I think.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
I'm in a pickle. Help me decide, GAF.

First, I've got the LE + Lancer on pre-order from Amazon. But now I've also got a hookup thats going to be getting in copies on Tuesday and will be holding an LE for me.

Do I cancel the LE from Amazon and just eat the extra cost of getting the game a few days early? If I do that it ends up being $200 for the Lancer + LE. Worth it? Another crappy part about this is if I decline the early copy I'll just be buying one Thursday night at the Universal CityWalk midnight launch to get it signed.

Ahughughug

Guess I'm eating the early copy cost and spending $200 on GOW2 this week :p

Top Bottom