• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone work the ranking system out yet?

I played last night with a few friends who won't be around for new years. Lost 5 or 6 games in a row and I went up to rank #3 :lol

so random.

D4Danger said:
Did anyone work the ranking system out yet?

I played last night with a few friends who won't be around for new years. Lost 5 or 6 games in a row and I went up to rank #3 :lol

so random.
I think it's all about KD, so it's something individual.

_leech_ said:
Picked up the game on Boxing Day and finished it 5 minutes ago. Initial impressions: HUGE improvement over the first one but this last boss was a complete and utter joke.
True but I saw it more of a "woah" ending then "damn this is epic", I expected something along the lines of RAAM so I was not disappointed:p

I hear epic are working on 2PHD, a gears special.

bumpkin

_leech_ said:
Picked up the game on Boxing Day and finished it 5 minutes ago. Initial impressions: HUGE improvement over the first one but this last boss was a complete and utter joke.
A lot of people seemed put off by the game's final boss, but it didn't bother me. Throughout most of the game, it really feels like an all-out war. In the first game, you rarely had to deal with more than five locusts at a time. The only part(s) where there were a ton were the train depot at the end and the Fenix estate. After having to fight for dear life through most of the game, the finale of Gears 2 was a welcome breather. It was almost like they were saying, "you did your job, now bring it on home."

*Disclaimer: I'm only spoiler'ing this in case someone reading this post hasn't beaten the game*

But I was disappointed by how Skorge went out... Like a total bitch. I wanted some sort of epic battle like with RAAM where you finished him off by gutting him like a lake trout; not using the duels simply as an in-fight mini-game where you simply damage his staff.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hellraizer said:
I think it's all about KD, so it's something individual.

This is true. Before the game's launch, we got the impression that the rank was sensitive to wins/consecutive wins or losses. I think this is part of it but K/D is WAY more important to getting 3 bars. I think 4 bars is a combination of k/d and wins.

I played against a guy who had a star and wings. He had 137 wins and 10 losses. His k/d was 3-1 or somewhere in there.

Zezboob

Nope, I have a friend who always had a k/d around 0,6~0,7 who got 3 bars pretty quickly when the rest of the players of the group (who used to play more) have a k/d around 1,2~1,5 and took a loooot of time to reach the 3rd rank... or still didn't get it.

It's just broken.

Going to hop on and play some Gears 2 multiplayer for the first time in a while. Gotta love Play & Win.

EDIT: Played one game of Annex and that was enough for me. It saddens me, because I'm a Gears fan. I just can't tolerate the Smokes...The freaking Smokes! In respawn games at least.

Brakara

Shoogoo said:
Sorry didn't mean to sound like a smartass. I'm really surprised at what you said, I don't get it, shouldn't people have those maps? Unless they bought the game second hand but there can't be that much.

There's probably lots of second hand buyers. And also some pirates. The odds are very much against getting a flashback map in the rotation. First, all five people must have them, then the map must be randomly chosen for voting, and finally win the vote. I've played around 100 Horde matches, and have played three or four times on a flashback map. And the chance of playing on a flashback map decreases every day.

So the chance of playing one of the new DLC maps (that so few people have) in public Horde is pretty much close to zero.

jdub03

I'm pretty sure its a combination of K/D ratio, W/L record, and who you win or lose against. It cant be solely K/D because I ranked up to 3 fairly quickly. Back then I sucked at gears 2 and my K/D ratio was low. It's now hovering around .8.

bumpkin said:
But I was disappointed by how Skorge went out... Like a total bitch. I wanted some sort of epic battle like with RAAM where you finished him off by gutting him like a lake trout; not using the duels simply as an in-fight mini-game where you simply damage his staff.

Exactly, it was pathetic.

1. Avoid attacks.
2. Mash 'B' button when the game tells you to.
3. Repeat three times.

I have other issues with the story that I hope you guys can clear up. Here's my understanding of how things went down (yay, another list!):

- The Locust are sinking cities, Jacinto is the last human city standing.
- Find out that a huge worm is causing the cities to collapse, kill the worm, Jacinto is saved.
- Go to some deserted facility and find out that sinking Jacinto will wipe out the Locusts and end the war, which was apparently Fenix's father's idea.
- Go underneath a mountain to visit Nexus and the Locust Queen (which looks way too human) and escape.
- Visit Jacinto and tell Command about the plan to sink the city, everyone loves the idea.
- Go back underground and aid in sinking Jacinto.
- Post credits, Fenix's father doesn't like what they did.

So my questions are these:

1. Why did the Locust want to sink Jacinto if sinking it would wipe them out?
2. Why would Fenix's father have a problem with sinking the city if it was his fucking idea?
3. Why did the Locust queen look so human?
4. Standing in Emulsion for a few minutes turns you into a super-huge monster? What about the Corpser that fell in the emulsion just a few minutes before that happened? Humans apparently power cars with the stuff and didn't discover it's monster-producing abilities?

Kibbles

According to the interview at Kotaku, Jaffe hasn't even started Act 4 and 5 yet :eek: Those are some of the best parts of the game there. Finish it Jaffe!

DoomGyver

Kibbles said:
According to the interview at Kotaku, Jaffe hasn't even started Act 4 and 5 yet :eek: Those are some of the best parts of the game there. Finish it Jaffe!
I would recommend playing to the beginning of act 5 and then stop, the ending simply ruined it for me.

jdub03

_leech_ said:

1. Avoid attacks.
3. Repeat three times.

I have other issues with the story that I hope you guys can clear up. Here's my understanding of how things went down (yay, another list!):

- Find out that a huge worm is causing the cities to collapse, kill the worm, Jacinto is saved.
- Go to some deserted facility and find out that sinking Jacinto will wipe out the Locusts and end the war, which was apparently Fenix's father's idea.
- Go underneath a mountain to visit Nexus and the Locust Queen (which looks way too human) and escape.
- Visit Jacinto and tell Command about the plan to sink the city, everyone loves the idea.

2. Why would Fenix's father have a problem with sinking the city if it was his fucking idea?
4. Standing in Emulsion for a few minutes turns you into a super-huge monster? What about the Corpser that fell in the emulsion just a few minutes before that happened? Humans apparently power cars with the stuff and didn't discover it's monster-producing abilities?

All will be explained in gears 3.

Zzoram

_leech_ said:

1. Avoid attacks.
3. Repeat three times.

I only beat the campaign once but I paid attention to the cutscenes.

The emulsion mutates Locust into Lambent. The Lambent are at war with the Locust. The Lambent are stronger and are winning. The Locust were going to sink Jacinto to destroy their catacombs and wipe out the Lambent. They were going to evacuate to the surface first, and you sink Jacinto because you want to do it before the Locust can get topside.

Fenix's dad seemed to be involved with the Locust from a genetic engineering standpoint, from what I could tell. That lab where they had Sires seemed to have created them, and Fenix's dad was involved with that. The Queen, and perhaps most of the humanoid-Locust, may also be some sort of human-hybrids.

Yes, the emulsion-mutation thing seems to be a retcon, but it doesn't create too many plot holes so just go with it.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Oh goddamn, what the hell, I have to wait for the Kantus to complete their scream attack before I can chainsaw them?!! That's fucking bullcrap!!

Cdammen

Finally finished the campaign co-op:ing with a friend and I must say that this was the most balanced and fun third-person shooter I've ever played. Something new around every corner. And people saying this look ugly should play the fucking game. It's blindingly beatiful at times with so much detail and shit going on that it visual overloads the recipents brain :)

theBishop

Banned
I just finished the single player. I was worried by the first 4 hours, but it definitely gets great at the end. I disagree with the bitching about the last "boss". It was nice to not have to bash my head against the wall at the final moment of the game. I played on hardcore, and some uber-tough boss would've spoiled the momentum of the conclusion. The whole
Brumak
ride was epic.

Epic is holding back too much with the story. Gears2 fleshes out Sera a bit, but ultimately leaves the first game's questions unanswered and adds twice as many.

Not to muddy the water, but why couldn't Unreal Tournament 3 be this good?!

USD

Anyone have any advice for constant disconnect issues? Honestly I'm not sure whether it's the game or my connection. Getting disconnecting from a 10-minute Team Deathmatch game is okay, but losing connecting to a potentially hours long Horde match definitely is not. I've only had problems while playing Gears of War 2. I'm pretty sure it's not NAT issues.

Baker

Banned
USD said:
Anyone have any advice for constant disconnect issues? Honestly I'm not sure whether it's the game or my connection. Getting disconnecting from a 10-minute Team Deathmatch game is okay, but losing connecting to a potentially hours long Horde match definitely is not. I've only had problems while playing Gears of War 2. I'm pretty sure it's not NAT issues.

Probably just the host quitting. It happens fairly regularly.

I played three games of Horde with Gig tonight and had two disconnects.

FiRez

brief rant, I like GoW2 overall but....:

I REALLY miss the architecture of the locations of the first gears, heck I even stopped to look at the buildings and even the interiors in the first game, variety just for variety sake isn't a good thing specially if you get inside a giant worm, I got horrible flashbacks of the cortana level from H3, just horrible :S

The palette of the first game was grittier and darker, maybe is a personal preference but I preffered it that way than the colorful palette of GoW2

also the flow in GoW1 was much better, every chapter in GoW2 feels a little bit disconnected from the previous one.

too much scripted sequences I preffer the guerrilla warfare feeling of GoW1

Still a worthy sequel, the gameplay (and the framerate?) is faster and the changes to the overall pacing are awesome. more bosses but I slightly preffer GoW1, I don't think I will replay the campaign of GoW2 as much as I replayed GoW1

segarr

Just finished the campaign on hardcore...fucking brilliant.

I honestly feel as though EVERY aspect of the game was made at least slightly better then the first. Everything, story, graphics, voice acting, sound effects, level design, gameplay, pacing....bigger, better, more badass indeed. So many wow moments, both graphically and gameplay wise. Hell, even the story had me intrigued on a few occasions.

And I STILL think that this game has the best AI, enemy or NPC, of any shooter on the market. No series as of yet has given me the impression that the enemies actually want to kill you like Gears does. And I have yet to encounter an NPC that I can rely on more than Dom (Alyx Vance is a better character, but she still isn't as good as a fighter as Dom, or Baird and Cole for that matter). You can tell that Epic is the same studio that makes the bot heavy Unreal games, it really shows in the AI of gears. The AI is probably the best aspect of gears, and to me, it's what really makes it a top tier shooter and separates it from the rest of the pack.

The only thing that I'm slightly disappointed about was the lack of a Brumack battle (On foot), I know that the PC buyers already got it in Gears 1, but I had expected them to have that in the sequel for the 360 version. Not a big deal, but if I had to add one thing, that would be it.

Far as the story/narrative/characterization goes :

I bet you that the Locust Queen is related to Marcus some how..might even be his mother (Have they ever spoken about her?).

If she's not related to him, she is definitely a hybrid of some sort. My guess is that the Locust and Humans have a common lineage or something, maybe the locust created humans or vice versa...I really hope they touch upon this in Gears 3.

The stuff with Doms wife was tad bit forced. The point that the Locust were breaking down the humans was already relayed with Tai and his suicide, to basically have the same point thrown at us soon after felt redundant. It was a well done scene though, I didn't expect that little fade in, and I did feel bad for Dom. I don't understand why it was smack dab in the middle of the game though, would have had a greater affect at the end.

Cole was fucking over the top...and I loved it. His intro was fucking badass, and I was dying when he grabbed the mic and started talking shit. I actually wouldn't mind more focus being placed on him and Baird.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Okay.. so let me tell you a little story:

I live in Brazil. Microsoft is the only company that publishes games for the 360 down here (as they released the console down here officially). Games are a little on the expensive side. They're about 72 usd with today's exchange rate.

BUT, Microsoft is at least trying to provide gaming down here. While 72 usd is expensivier than what you guys pay in the USA, it's officially available down here. Most PS3 games, when available, are imported and are up to 120 USD.

So, even tho I could import Gears 2 and get it cheaper than buying it locally, I decided to buy it locally. I don't know, I have a little "defend the cause" going on here. If it's available through official ways, i don't mind paying a little extra - so microsoft notices that there's actually a market down here (and i'm not the only one doing that. Lots of people from Brazilian gaming related forums do the same).

Anyway, i bought gears 2. I didn't buy it on release date (but it was available back then). I bought it last month (december). And guess what? I don't have the code for the extra maps.

I pay more, i support the industry and what do I get? I get LESS.

Technically, i guess it's because there's no Live oficially in Brazil (but everybody uses it). Still, that sucks balls. Specially when the pack costs 99999 mspoints (i wouldn't mind paying to get it, but that's absurd).

So yeah. That sucks.

Edit: Oh yeah, something i forgot. Apparently, there was a Limited Edition version down here aswell (that costed twice the price). It isn't/wasn't availiable anywhere. I even pre-purchased it, but the store never delivered it. Said the company never gave them any copies.

That version comes with both codes, the extra maps AND the gold lancer codes.
Tell me about owned.

segarr

drizzle said:

I live in Brazil. Microsoft is the only company that publishes games for the 360 down here (as they released the console down here officially). Games are a little on the expensive side. They're about 72 usd with today's exchange rate.

BUT, Microsoft is at least trying to provide gaming down here. While 72 usd is expensivier than what you guys pay in the USA, it's officially available down here. Most PS3 games, when available, are imported and are up to 120 USD.

So, even tho I could import Gears 2 and get it cheaper than buying it locally, I decided to buy it locally. I don't know, I have a little "defend the cause" going on here. If it's available through official ways, i don't mind paying a little extra - so microsoft notices that there's actually a market down here (and i'm not the only one doing that. Lots of people from Brazilian gaming related forums do the same).

Anyway, i bought gears 2. I didn't buy it on release date (but it was available back then). I bought it last month (december). And guess what? I don't have the code for the extra maps.

Technically, i guess it's because there's no Live oficially in Brazil (but everybody uses it). Still, that sucks balls. Specially when the pack costs 99999 mspoints (i wouldn't mind paying to get it, but that's absurd).

So yeah. That sucks.

Edit: Oh yeah, something i forgot. Apparently, there was a Limited Edition version down here aswell (that costed twice the price). It isn't/wasn't availiable anywhere. I even pre-purchased it, but the store never delivered it. Said the company never gave them any copies.

Tell me about owned.

Thats terrible man, sorry to hear about that.

Did you get your pre-purchase money back?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
segarr said:
Thats terrible man, sorry to hear about that.

Did you get your pre-purchase money back?

Oh yeah, they didn't even charge my CC

I'm still pretty pissed about the map code thing tho. Are they worth the 15-20 bucks people are asking for on ebay?

drizzle said:
Oh yeah, they didn't even charge my CC

I'm still pretty pissed about the map code thing tho. Are they worth the 15-20 bucks people are asking for on ebay?
Five gears 1 maps with grass added to them, subway has no rain but a blue sky now, and of course with the gears 2 engine.

Not worth the asking price but nice to have, depends how much you loved the gears 1 maps tbh.

why is the matchmaking taking FOREVER?

it's every bit as slow as it was before the patch.

and no, i haven't bought the new maps. maybe that's the reason? this shit is getting old.

NIN90

drizzle said:

So yeah. That sucks.

Tell me about owned.

Check your PMs.

Mohonky

drizzle said:

So yeah. That sucks.

Tell me about owned.

$72USD = $101AUD

So you're paying $2 more than the AUS retail price. I wouldn't exactly be too bummed about that.

Though the LE did arrive here in Aus with the map code packs and it was $119. I suppose we get a slightly better deal in that regard.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
WickedLaharl said:
why is the matchmaking taking FOREVER?

it's every bit as slow as it was before the patch.

and no, i haven't bought the new maps. maybe that's the reason? this shit is getting old.

You're not alone. I've noticed matchmaking is taking a lot longer recently. Last night I sank into a matchmaking blackhole where it took me at least 15 mins to find a match. Other times it would be 1-5 minutes max.

I guess it's all the new Christmas present players?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I think Gears 2 has now officially become the biggest disappointment for me of 2008. Even though there were many reasons for me to jump back in, I absolutely got back into X360 gaming because of Gears 2. With the matchmaking issues still not being resolved, and so few of my friends playing it, I can't help but consider selling it. Which is sad for me on an epic level since I absolutely loved the first one.

Frester

I finally got around to getting my last Submission cap yesterday, but I don't feel compelled to keep playing like I did with Gears 1. I loved this game for about the first month, now not so much :\ I've had more fun just playing L4D campaign in the past two days...

goldenpp72

I was a huge fan of gears 1, got all 1250 points in it and continued to play nearly up to gears 2. I even bought the map pack which i rarely ever do.

I havent played gears 2 since mid december really, a few attempts but its really just such a wasted sequel, everything is there to make it better but most of the stuff in that hitler video was not a problem in gears 1. sure the lag sucked, but at least if you knew how to lead a shot it would hit the right fucking place, host in gears 2 is MORE powerful now because they hit exactly what they should.

skybaby

drizzle said:
Seriously Microsoft, I live in pirate land where 99% of people are online playing pirate Gears2, I go out and buy the original game and the appreciation you show me is actually not shipping the damn code? How shitty is that?

I'm REALLY pissed.

Manp

Mohonky said:
$72USD = $101AUD

So you're paying $2 more than the AUS retail price. I wouldn't exactly be too bummed about that.

72 USD = 51,99€. GoW2 costs 59,90€ in UE. it's actually cheaper in Brazil than in Europe :lol

and GoW2 is still a cheap game, many games retail for 64,90 or 69,90€... today i saw the new tomb raider for PS3 at 78,90€ and it was a regular edition, not some special edition with crap added :lol

i know price index, cost-of-living and so on but still... it's the same game

:)

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Manp said:
72 USD = 51,99€. GoW2 costs 59,90 in UE. it's actually cheaper in Brazil than in Europe :lol

and GoW2 is still a cheap game, many games retail for 64,90 or 69,90€... today i saw the new tomb raider for PS3 at 78,90€ and it was a regular edition, not some special edition with crap added :lol

:)

I bought a used copy for US$30.

:D

Oh, and I bought it one month after release :lol

Feindflug

Frester said:
I finally got around to getting my last Submission cap yesterday, but I don't feel compelled to keep playing like I did with Gears 1. I loved this game for about the first month, now not so much :\ I've had more fun just playing L4D campaign in the past two days...

Same here, I was playing the game far more the first month - now I'm really tired of the smoke grenades/chainsaw n00bs and frag grenade-wall tagging campers...though matchmaking is definitely better after the patch.

Epic must add region locking in the matchmaking and improve the gathering of other players by choosing the players with the best ping...as it is right now it looks completely random that's why I end up with guys from the US and Canada.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mohonky said:
$72USD = $101AUD So you're paying $2 more than the AUS retail price. I wouldn't exactly be too bummed about that.

Manp said:
72 USD = 51,99€. GoW2 costs 59,90€ in UE. it's actually cheaper in Brazil than in Europe :lol
i know price index, cost-of-living and so on but still... it's the same game :)

Well, i'm not really complaining about the price of the game by itself. I could go on and on about how both of these countries have better base salaries than Brazil, and how you actually have taxes that do something, as opposed to our stupid taxes.

I was more complaining about the fact that my copy didn't come with the codes, and how i got owned for supporting a company that actually tries to do something in my country (as Microsoft is the only one officially distributing games down here)

But yeah, shit is too expensive everywhere. :D

I have to say, I really have a lot of fun lately with the game. Rarely met any laggers and glitchers, playing mostly with 4 other buddies Public Xbox Live, and I enjoy it.

I even bought the map pack, even though I wanted to wait till the patch.

segarr said:
I bet you that the Locust Queen is related to Marcus some how..might even be his mother (Have they ever spoken about her?).

In the book "Gears of War: Aspho Fields" his Mother disappears one day and from what i've read so far Marcus doesn't know what happened as he was about 9/10, but Adam Fenix does know, so I assume the possibility of the story liking with the book is fairly low...

jdub03

I still have 4 other friends that I play with on a regular basis. I know them personally so it makes it a much more enjoyable experience. Hopefully the patch is not too far off.

Top Bottom