• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Teknoman

Are there still a ton of GAF playing MP and horde co-op? I've been out of the loop Gears wise for awhile, and was spoiled by playing with you guys during its first month out.

Baker

Banned
Teknoman said:
Are there still a ton of GAF playing MP and horde co-op? I've been out of the loop Gears wise for awhile, and was spoiled by playing with you guys during its first month out.

I'm up for Horde any and every night. I think you're on my friend list, so just send me a message whenever you feel like playing.

The debate on the stop and pop versus run and gun is mainly a preference and balance issue. Ideally it should be just as balanced from long distance to short distance and medium distance. Every game is striving for that but most games don't get it right. I haven't played Gears 2 at all to comment intelligently on whether the balance is right but I do hear a lot of complaining about up close battle being over powering. Of course they may not be an accurate gripe but it's what I've noticed from reading some posts.

Of course I'm sure all the bugs and such help to confuse the issue a bit.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Falagard said:
Gears has a chainsaw on the end of a gun. How is that stop and pop?

Gears is what it is. It has stop and pop elements, it has chainsaws and shotguns which are obviously not stop and pop. If they wanted it to be completely stop and pop they would have made it nearly impossible to kill an enemy at short range.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Gears has its core game elements. If you don't like it, too bad. You can bitch all you want about the game design, but that's the way the game is. Don't be angry at a player who uses a shotgun the way it is designed to be used.

You can't say you know how the developers intended the game to be unless they come right out and say they didn't want it to be that way. Especially when we're on the second version of the game and it's pretty similar to the first version. If they didn't like the first version they had every opportunity to fix it for the second. They changed some weapons: the shotgun is less powerful and the sniper rifle no longer downs people with an active reload shot.

If there's an obvious bug in Gears which players are exploiting - that's when I get angry. Using an invisible shield while wielding a two handed weapon, for example. Or, if there's a bug such as the shotgun shooting into the ground when firing from the hip only when you're not the host, then I get angry. Or when the game is laggy and the host advantage is so extreme that I lose a fight when I obviously shouldn't, I get angry.

I don't get angry when someone runs at me with a shotgun and wins a fair fight.

If Epic intended the MP to be run-and-gun shooter why is there so much cover?

One of the allures of Gears of War MP was that it was different from a lot of other shooters, "if you're out of cover prepare to die" it was supposed to be more realistic (in how battles are fought, not the giant monster with guns) and gritty.

But it isn't, it still about power weapons and while there's no jumping, there is wall-bouncing and dodging.

That's the big problem with Gears MP, without the tactic elements found in the singleplayer, there is nothing to really separate it from the rest of the pack.

Baker

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
The debate on the stop and pop versus run and gun is mainly a preference and balance issue. Ideally it should be just as balanced from long distance to short distance and medium distance. Every game is striving for that but most games don't get it right.

It also comes down to the community. A developer can balance a game all they want, but that won't stop certain players from insisting on using the sniper rifle in up-close 1v1 battles.

They did something right though. Losing the active down from the sniper eliminated some of the above example. I don't know what they changed (wall tags maybe), but I have not been grenade tagged once in Gears2 MP.

I guess my point is just what everyone else is saying. Epic can create a game that should be played a certain way, but there's nothing hindering players from not following that arbitrary path.

Gig said:
That's the big problem with Gears MP, without the tactic elements found in the singleplayer, there is nothing to really separate it from the rest of the pack.

They only way I could see them fix this (make it more like SP) if if they had a COD4 damage model or something. Depending on the gun, 2-5 bullets and you're dead.

I doubt that would fly at all.

Falagard

Gig said:
If Epic intended the MP to be run-and-gun shooter why is there so much cover?

It's not a run and gun shooter, it's a combination of run and gun and stop and pop.

If I am behind cover with a lancer, or better yet, a hammerburst, and someone is in the open running at me with a shotgun, I will win as long as I am not lagging. I'll shoot them with my medium range weapon while they are coming at me, and if that doesn't finish them off, I'll switch to my shotgun if they get too close, and likely roll away from them to get some distance so I can finish them off without them gibbing me.

Sometimes I wonder if the people complaining are just playing this game wrong.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Falagard said:
It's not a run and gun shooter, it's a combination of run and gun and stop and pop.

If I am behind cover with a lancer, or better yet, a hammerburst, and someone is in the open running at me with a shotgun, I will win as long as I am not lagging. I'll shoot them with my medium range weapon while they are coming at me, and if that doesn't finish them off, I'll switch to my shotgun if they get too close, and likely roll away from them to get some distance so I can finish them off without them gibbing me.

Sometimes I wonder if the people complaining are just playing this game wrong.

And here's how that situation might actually happen in Gears of War 2.

They throw a smoke at you, you either get knocked down or are roll away, they blast you with the shotgun, you get gibbed/curb stomped.

The 2 things I hate about the shotgun is that now shots shoot out at exactly the same spread layout and it feels real cheap when you see shots on the wall look like an X, and that you can shoot it over a fair amount of range if you ironsight it, if someone runs off why bother switching to the lancer when you can keep popping shells as his arse untill he drops :lol

I'm going to guess they made the spread the same each shot to remove the random head shots but going by how gears 2 multi is playing right now it's no different, I can point blank someone in cover from behind in to his head with a shottie and he will just turn around and chainsaw me.

Spruchy

Gig said:
And here's how that situation might actually happen in Gears of War 2.

They throw a smoke at you, you either get knocked down or are roll away, they blast you with the shotgun, you get gibbed/curb stomped.

You are so bad at this game it hurts.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Wow, did not know you can throw in a extra person on wingman. Because it just happen to me, a team had 3 people on it.

Cdammen

I'm gonna bump this thread with a off-screen capture I took. But yeah, stills don't make this scene justice.

3177519221_6572348a97_o.jpg

This game has some beautiful vistas. And the color palette is excellent. There's a lot of depth to the image and the saturation levels are just right.

kuYuri

II VerTigo II said:
Wow, did not know you can throw in a extra person on wingman. Because it just happen to me, a team had 3 people on it.

I played one game today where the opposite team had two leaders in Guardian. o_O

JB1981

Cdammen said:
I'm gonna bump this thread with a off-screen capture I took. But yeah, stills don't make this scene justice.

3177519221_6572348a97_o.jpg

This game has some beautiful vistas. And the color palette is excellent. There's a lot of depth to the image and the saturation levels are just right.
As much as I hate on the MP, I really enjoyed the hell out of the SP campaign. The graphics, particularly in this area of the game, are superb. Best looking game on the 360.

II VerTigo II said:
From stuff I have read you can trick the game a little bit using invites at just the right time and have like 5 wingmen :lol I would think the upcoming patch sorts these small things out.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Cdammen said:

Please GTFO. This thread is only for bitching and whining. Please do not bring awesomeness in here to ruin our mojo.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Diablohead said:
From stuff I have read you can trick the game a little bit using invites at just the right time and have like 5 wingmen :lol I would think the upcoming patch sorts these small things out.

Wowzer! Hopefully the patch will fix crap like that and many others because its happening more, and more to me in the past few matches. x_O

nib95

Banned
Two things...

One, could anyone post any direct 720p captures people took of the game here? I can't be bothered to trudge through the many pages of the thread I never read.

Second, does anyone know the date for the new Patch Cliffy mentioned? I think I might get back in to the MP once that drops!

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The ultimate vision for Gears is one of stop and pop, not literally so like say Resident Evil, the phrase was only coined because it rhymes, but the vision is you move from cover to cover. Its just meant to resemble a kickass gunfight, like you'd see in a film or tv show, and those always involve diving into cover and darting to the next bit - as opposed to running and jumping up and down while aiming at heads like maniacs!

Thats why its rooted in team work, choke points, symmetrical maps ideal for flanking and counter flanking, no respawns and serious amounts of cover.

But the balance is supposed to come from the fact you CAN ignore stop and pop and cover and charge around and be effective. Its risky of course, but like any good Rambo you might well take 1 or 2 guys down with you.

Or at least thats how it was in Gears 1. If a team mate wanted to do a kamikaze, he could grab a grenade and run over and tag someone. Very effective, he'd almost certainly die though.

The problem now is, its more likely the guys rushing will win because cover has been rendered useless by grenades.

Blind fire, long range weapons and being safe in cover were hugely effective defenses in Gears 1. If someone rushed you, you definitely had the advantage, you weren't invincible by any means, but I would certainly hesitate to rush someone who was in cover.

Gears 2? If I'm in cover and someone rushes me, if I don't move I'm dead - unless they ran in a straight line and I manage to down them, but thats seriously rare because they take a lot of damage to go down, lag reduces accuracy and people throw grenades pretty early. Even if I do get some serious damage on him, he'll probably knock me down if I don't move so I can't get the kill.

or I throw my own grenade and rush back. *sigh* almost no one uses cover in gears 2, its very rare, you don't really get choke points or standoffs anymore, teams just rush out and collide in a wave of smokes, shotguns and chainsaws. Still fun in its own way, but lack of balance and finesse is sad.

I hope they fix the sniper. I remember on Gears 1 I'd have games where I was so on fire I could take on whole teams on my own with the sniper, getting headshots whilst walking without zooming in - thats not imbalance, its just skill/luck/insane amounts of form and practice. and if they'd teamed up better they'd have taken me easily. When you came across a good sniper you seriously hesitated to rush him cos he would down you or take your head off or both! Now the sniper is irrelevent, I don't fear it a tiny bit. I just have to make sure I don't stay still for too long.

I tried skimming this thread, but it's mostly MP oriented, so what's the general consensus on SP? I got this as a gift, but I'm thinking returning it; I loved Gears 1, but I'm not sure if I really need more of it. Especially if MP is broken.

Kydd BlaZe

ConsumerSquare said:
I tried skimming this thread, but it's mostly MP oriented, so what's the general consensus on SP? I got this as a gift, but I'm thinking returning it; I loved Gears 1, but I'm not sure if I really need more of it. Especially if MP is broken.
The general consensus is that the single player is utterly awesome. Quite an improvement on the original in almost every way. The SP is pure fun. Story is still a bit off, however.

Etelmik

Neo Member
Story is still a bit off, however.

More like ten shitloads.

I gotta find Maria! No! DAMMIT! DAMMIT!

Tell my family...I love them...

It's a giant worm! You hear me! A giant worm!

*sigh

Digital-Hero said:
That video is so true. The shotgun annoyance really pissed me off lastnight. A point blank shot to the face didn't stop a revving newb from killing me.
In that situation you should melee him. Who's the noob now?

Full Recovery said:
If you're host it works 100% of the time, Nooby Double McNooblet.
So basically 1/10th of the time it works 100% of the time? Praytell how is that better than 50% of the time Noobraham Lincolnoob III?

Raxus

Kydd BlaZe said:
The general consensus is that the single player is utterly awesome. Quite an improvement on the original in almost every way. The SP is pure fun. Story is still a bit off, however.
If you stop taking it seriously around the time Dom says I WILL JUST SHOOT YOU ALL IN UR AZZES! (corrected for how he delivers the line) then you are good.

DoomGyver

_dementia said:
but seriously I'm terrible at this game don't take advice from me
The problem is Gears shouldn't have any random moments. But it happens all of the time, usually due to lag.

Gears of War: Let the man with the best connection win!

Kydd BlaZe said:
My concern is that sequelitis might have struck and cluttered up the game with superfluous additions that ultimately detract from what made the first one great. I wanted no driving this time around, but my understanding is that its back again.

Can Horde be played single player? I'm thinking that might be exactly what I wanted, with the rest of the game being a bonus.

Raxus

Full Recovery said:
The problem is Gears shouldn't have any random moments. But it happens all of the time, usually due to lag.

Gears of War: Let the man with the best connection win!
That is why I think so many don't penalize weapon sliders. If you can do it then you are not host. Gears 2 is much more balanced with host than Gears 1 ever was but there is still that gap Epic needs to work out.

ConsumerSquare said:
Can Horde be played single player? I'm thinking that might be exactly what I wanted, with the rest of the game being a bonus.
Yes, but it's incredibly hard since the enemies don't scale to the amount of players.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Need help, my friend got the game yesterday tried to redeem the flash back code but didnt work....

What should he do?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Got back from vacation the day before yesterday, and hopped on to Gears 2 the same night and last night - had a couple laggy matched but the rest were all good - really missed this game...

II VerTigo II said:
Need help, my friend got the game yesterday tried to redeem the flash back code but didnt work....

What should he do?

What did it say?

If it started and stopped, he can just go back to Download History and re-download it from there...

Ranking system is totally awkward. I switched between silver and gold 4-5 times today. I play good, I have a great kd ratio -> gold, I play not so good, I have a bad kd ratio (though not a wide gap as the good one) I go silver.

I'm apparently on the edge, and the thing that always levels me down are laggy matches.

Also, I really hate the early quitters. I played a dozen of matches today with some buddies so we were always 5, but sometimes we end up just with 2 people on the other team. I hope the stronger penalizing of early quitters should not only consist in a lost rank, but some temporary bans from Public matches.

Or they should at least allow individuals to join the match if a spot gets free.

JB1981

kaizoku said:
Gears 2? If I'm in cover and someone rushes me, if I don't move I'm dead - unless they ran in a straight line and I manage to down them, but thats seriously rare because they take a lot of damage to go down, lag reduces accuracy and people throw grenades pretty early. Even if I do get some serious damage on him, he'll probably knock me down if I don't move so I can't get the kill.

or I throw my own grenade and rush back. *sigh* almost no one uses cover in gears 2, its very rare, you don't really get choke points or standoffs anymore, teams just rush out and collide in a wave of smokes, shotguns and chainsaws.
Still fun in its own way, but lack of balance and finesse is sad.

Nailed. Except for the fun qualifier.

goldenpp72

Raxus said:
That is why I think so many don't penalize weapon sliders. If you can do it then you are not host. Gears 2 is much more balanced with host than Gears 1 ever was but there is still that gap Epic needs to work out.

No, host in gears 2 is MORE deadly than in the original because in gears 1 the only thing to factor was leading your shots, in gears 2 the lag causes the shots to not hit anywhere near where they should when blind firing and that causes a huge advantages. They claim they will fix this though :/

Top Bottom