• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Dosia

Mark Rein just posted on the gears forums about an incoming title update and some of the specifics. Here is what he had to say...

As I mentioned before the break we’ve been working on a major title update for Gears of War 2. This update will address bugs and exploits as well as add some new achievements related to downloadable content. We don’t have an exact date for it but all indicators are it will go live within January. If that changes we’ll let you know.

We’re fixing a whole bunch of online exploits. For example we’ve fixed the ability to wield an invisible shield, melee through some walls, gain infinite Lancer ammo and equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously plus many more.

We’re also making several small changes to improve the overall online gameplay experience. A few of the ones that might interest you are; increased penalties for quitting matches early, adding additional spawn protection against planted grenades and chainsaw attacks, and adding the ability to see the Submission flag carrier destination by using Tac/Com.

We know you folks love achievements so on the achievement side we’re adding achievement progress numbers to the War Journal, increasing the frequency of in-game Achievement progression notifications and adding some new Achievements for DLC.

This is just a very small list of some of the things that will be in the next title update but one more item which has been talked about a lot in our forums deserves a special call out...

About that shotgun...

We fixed the client side hit detection on the shotgun so that in a high-latency (i.e. “laggy”) match, the shotgun will be more reliable. We’ve also fixed another bug whereby shotgun and boomshot rounds could strike the ground when firing from the hip.

So there’s a brief status report on the next title update. At some point I expect we’ll post a more detailed list but I assure you we’re working hard to get this out the door and once it’s done we’ll start working on the next update. We’ll try to do a better job keeping you informed of our progress on future updates and we’ll try to be a little more active in the forums once this update is released.

Dosia

Full Recovery said:
Not a word on the Smokes? The second most complained about thing? Nothing?

I guess we will have to wait and see. I am expecting them to have separate playlists for at least warzone and execution or I will be extremely disappointed.

DoomGyver

Dosia said:
I guess we will have to wait and see. I am expecting them to have separate playlists for at least warzone and execution or I will be extremely disappointed.

Yeah, me too. It would be such an easy thing to implement.

They also need to make a classic playlist. No mortar/mulcher/smokes/scorcher/wall tags and no sudden death.

Do it Epic.

EazyB

Banned
We’re also making several small changes to improve the overall online gameplay experience. A few of the ones that might interest you are; increased penalties for quitting matches early, adding additional spawn protection against planted grenades and chainsaw attacks, and adding the ability to see the Submission flag carrier destination by using Tac/Com.
Wonder what they have in mind. It's probably just a stricter rank reduction but than again ranks were wacky anyways and some people won't care. It'd be interested if they implemented something more creative though.

Dosia said:
Mark Rein just posted on the gears forums about an incoming title update and some of the specifics. Here is what he had to say...

Nice to hear. I haven't even tried Gears MP so I'll wait for this title update at minimum before I try it out.

Mohonky

Like I said on another forum, unless this patch comes with a local search only filter, I won't be playing it. All of the bug fixes and tweaks will be for shit if the game continues to be a lag fest and no; hiding bullet lag doesn't count either, it's either there or it's not. At the moment thats all the game really does, is try and hide the fact the latency is fucking terrible. If the tweaks and optimisations are just going to better hide that fact I don't care what they do with the title, it's be broken.

Sounds good enough to me if the patch can really deliver all of it.

Oh and, I hope they don't forget to fix the voice chat, I want to talk with dead/living people again once a round is finished. It's really annoying.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Full Recovery said:
Yeah, me too. It would be such an easy thing to implement.

They also need to make a classic playlist. No mortar/mulcher/smokes/scorcher/wall tags and no sudden death.

Do it Epic.

Music to my ears.....

As for the patch hopefully it works, because it sounds a little to promising.

Full Recovery said:

Yeah, really that's the biggest "gameplay adjustment" that I'm looking for to be fixed. Meaning, not a glitch, just part of the game.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
increased penalties for quitting matches early

I hope this goes for Horde too, although it would have to be something different since Horde has no ranks.

As for the glitches, don't get your hopes people, as long as there is lag there will still be glitches.

Looks like more users online will be using characters with hats then :/

Good news on the update though, just a shame my live connection refuses to stay connected at uni, 5 months without gears multi, suppose it's not that bad :D

Full Recovery said:

Do it Epic.
They did and it's called Gears of War 1. Seriously.

Baker

Banned
GAF: Your game is broken

Epic: Hey internet we're getting ready to fix our shit

GAF: Bitch bitch boo hoo smoke grenades blah blah bitch bitch

Holy fuck can't you people at least get a little enjoyment out of the patch announcement?

Gig

Baker said:
GAF: Your game is broken

Epic: Hey internet we're getting ready to fix our shit

GAF: Bitch bitch boo hoo smoke grenades blah blah bitch bitch

Holy fuck can't you people at least get a little enjoyment out of the patch announcement?

Well they tried to fix their game(s) before and they didn't do a good job, so why should we confident be that they'll do a better job of fixing Gears this time?

Baker

Banned
Gig said:
Well they tried to fix their game(s) before and they didn't do a good job, so why should we confident be that they'll do a better job of fixing Gears this time?

Yeah I get your point. I'm just trying to remain somewhat optimistic about the whole thing until it actually happens. I think my "grander" point was I still just don't understand the undying hatred for smoke grenades. I have never finished a match and been pissed off at them. However, I have ended (and quit early) matches in a bloody rage because of some of these other hopefully-soon-to-be-fixed glitches.

It's going to be real interesting when hip firing makes it way back into the mix.

goldenpp72

Anyone remember when they patched gears 1 and everyone had a thick layer of super glue stuck to their bodies for months after? LOL

goldenpp72 said:
Anyone remember when they patched gears 1 and everyone had a thick layer of super glue stuck to their bodies for months after? LOL
I never found that much of a problem, use to stick to the wall a little more often at the start of canal but otherwise I was able to adept to it, unlike a lot of rush and shotgun users.

Baker

Banned
Diablohead said:
I never found that much of a problem, use to stick to the wall a little more often at the start of canal but otherwise I was able to adept to it, unlike a lot of rush and shotgun users.

Gridlock was awful too if you were heading to the boomshot.

bumpkin

We’ve also fixed another bug whereby shotgun and boomshot rounds could strike the ground when firing from the hip.
No... Just, no. Guess I'll see that percentage of times I've been killed by some asshole running and gunning double. *rolls eyes*

I still say they need to remove the concussive effect of smoke grenades. It's a little bit over the top and really annoying in a lot of situations; an opposing team can basically steal the scoring zone in Annex/King of the Hill with a deluge of smokes.

goldenpp72

bumpkin said:
No... Just, no. Guess I'll see that percentage of times I've been killed by some asshole running and gunning double. *rolls eyes*

I still say they need to remove the concussive effect of smoke grenades. It's a little bit over the top and really annoying in a lot of situations; an opposing team can basically steal the scoring zone in Annex/King of the Hill with a deluge of smokes.

Smokes also make submission very tedious, with 5 constantly spawning people having 5 large range ways to easily remove the captive from you and all :( Also running and gunning is 'part of the game' so don't whine, the lancer has excellent stopping power unless you have someone trying to chainsaw ya :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
great to hear.

At least change the smokes thing though :/ most worthless weapon. Or make them harder to find than frags! or something. I dunno. Get rid of them and the wall plant I say.

Zezboob

Happy to hear some concrete news, but I am VERY dubious about the efficiency of the patch... I hope we will not see the same shit of Gears 1 patches again.

Full Recovery said:
1 Lag
2 HSHD
3 Glitches
4 ... maybe smokes grenades ? (personally chainsaw invincibility, frag mine area, boomshot ammo, broken maps due to the frag grenade spawn, quick frag respawn etc are more important, but heh...)

G0DLIKE said:
The game needs region filtering or I'm done with it.
This, definitely.

bumpkin

goldenpp72 said:
Smokes also make submission very tedious, with 5 constantly spawning people having 5 large range ways to easily remove the captive from you and all :( Also running and gunning is 'part of the game' so don't whine, the lancer has excellent stopping power unless you have someone trying to chainsaw ya :)
I agree on the smokes. Nine times out of ten, when an entire team respawns it's a fucking storm of smokes as soon as they get in range.

As for the stopping power argument, it's useless when there's any lag. I've got plenty of stories about the times I emptied a clip into the head of a rushing shotgunner and still ended up being blown to bits before they were downed. And moreover, running and gunning is not part of the game. It's intended to be tactical -- using cover and such -- but it's become part of the game because players never play the game the way the devs intended.

Falagard

bumpkin said:
As for the stopping power argument, it's useless when there's any lag. I've got plenty of stories about the times I emptied a clip into the head of a rushing shotgunner and still ended up being blown to bits before they were downed.

I can agree here - stopping power doesn't work very often. It needs to be fixed.

And moreover, running and gunning is not part of the game. It's intended to be tactical -- using cover and such -- but it's become part of the game because players never play the game the way the devs intended.

This is a completely ridiculous argument.

First of all, the shotgun is a CORE part of the game. If the devs didn't want you to be able to walk up to an enemy at close range and blow them to bits, they wouldn't have put the shotgun in the game in the first place. And not only that, but it's a core part of the game because you spawn with it as your secondary weapon.

If the devs patch the game and further reduce the effectiveness of the shotgun, making it not shoot as far, and do less damage, then I'd concede to your point. A few posts above you were pissed that they were patching a bug where the shotgun fires into the ground when shooting from the hip. To me that sounds like the exact opposite of your argument - they never intended the shotgun to be as useless as it is now when firing from the hip. The devs intend it to be even more effective than it currently is, not less.

The fact of the matter is that you, in particular, constantly complain about a core part of the game. About "shotgun whores" running and gunning and ruining your fun. I think you need to find a different game.

Falagard

goldenpp72 said:

Yeah, I also remember that that patch was supposed to fix unintended sticking to cover, and instead made it worse. That's when I stopped playing Gears 1, by the way. Fortunately Gears 2 has, in my opinion, completely fixed that problem.

Gig

Falagard said:
This is a completely ridiculous argument.

First of all, the shotgun is a CORE part of the game. If the devs didn't want you to be able to walk up to an enemy at close range and blow them to bits, they wouldn't have put the shotgun in the game in the first place. And not only that, but it's a core part of the game because you spawn with it as your secondary weapon.

If the devs patch the game and further reduce the effectiveness of the shotgun, making it not shoot as far, and do less damage, then I'd concede to your point. A few posts above you were pissed that they were patching a bug where the shotgun fires into the ground when shooting from the hip. To me that sounds like the exact opposite of your argument - they never intended the shotgun to be as useless as it is now when firing from the hip. The devs intend it to be even more effective than it currently is, not less.

The fact of the matter is that you, in particular, constantly complain about a core part of the game. About "shotgun whores" running and gunning and ruining your fun. I think you need to find a different game.

Or they could make MP play like the singleplayer like it should be. If you try and play singleplayer like a run-and-gunner shooter you'll die very quickly. On the other hand, if you try and play mutliplayer like a tactical shooter you'll will also fail. It makes no sense for singleplayer and mutliplayer to play so differently.

painey

Im going through on insane co-op, but really.. collectables while better than the dog tags last time are still a pain in the ass, and the driving section is complete and utter dog shit, didnt they learn from that piece of shit stop and shoot section in Gears 1? This aint a driving game so keep that clunky shit away from Gears 3.

goldenpp72

painey said:
Im going through on insane co-op, but really.. collectables while better than the dog tags last time are still a pain in the ass, and the driving section is complete and utter dog shit, didnt they learn from that piece of shit stop and shoot section in Gears 1? This aint a driving game so keep that clunky shit away from Gears 3.

I found the tank to be fun but too long.

painey said:
:lol

My buddy and I jokingly fear now that
Jacinto sank
, Epic will include submarine sections in Gears 3.

I think there is just a huge disconnect with what the Devs intend the experience to be, and how the Devs balanced the game. Very strange I know, but everything I hear from Cliff and others on the team does not mesh with how the game actually plays when you get online. I wouldn't say that's the players fault at all, the gaming public finds the best way to kill people and does that. It doesn't care about how it's 'supposed' to be played.

If Epic wants the stop and pop experience in multiplayer, it's up to them to make it. Although, I've always wondered if the game is balanced around playing with an organized team? Naturally that hardly ever happens online, but maybe the lancer/hammerburst/stopping power are balanced assuming a well oiled machine of a team? In the end would 5 rushers win against a well organized team with their lancers?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Baker said:

Enjoyment out of a patch... what the fuck has gaming come to? :lol :lol

Zezboob said:
Happy to hear some concrete news, but I am VERY dubious about the efficiency of the patch... I hope we will not see the same shit of Gears 1 patches again.

Looks like you didn't read the last paragraph.. :/

So there’s a brief status report on the next title update. At some point I expect we’ll post a more detailed list but I assure you we’re working hard to get this out the door and once it’s done we’ll start working on the next update.

Unless Mark meant "next update" as in the next time he updates us on the final and full list of changes for the upcoming, game-fixing (I hope to God) patch.

Falagard

Gig said:
Or they could make MP play like the singleplayer like it should be. If you try and play singleplayer like a run-and-gunner shooter you'll die very quickly. On the other hand, if you try and play mutliplayer like a tactical shooter you'll will also fail. It makes no sense for singleplayer and mutliplayer to play so differently.

Wow, we're on a roll for stupid arguments today.

I don't even know how to respond to this since it's so blatantly ridiculous, but I'll try.

You don't play Halo, Call of Duty, or Gears the same way in single player as you do in multiplayer. I think the closest we have to that for competitive versus multiplayer is Left 4 Dead, but that's completely different.

The campaign of a game is always going to play differently than the multiplayer of a game. Can you imagine if every enemy you fought had the same skill level, weapons, and intelligence that you do? You'd die 50% of the time in each one on one fight with an enemy in the single player game.

The goal of a multiplayer game is essentially to be completely balanced. In a perfect matchmaking system which matches you against players of the same skill level, with perfectly designed levels and weapon layouts, you should have a win/loss ratio of 1.0, meaning you win (and lose) 50% of your games.

A single player game's goal is to entertain. A player needs to be challenged, but also be able to progress through the game without feeling frustrated. They throw a large number of weaker enemies at you, or a smaller number of strong enemies at you. They design the levels specifically with your progression in mind - how you are going to move through the level, setting up enemies, weapons, and waypoints to meet the dev's single player design goals. That often means you are outnumbered, which is why in Gears' campaign you have to play very differently than when playing multiplayer.

As I said above, in multiplayer, teams should be balanced. The same number of opponents, with similar skill levels, and an equal opportunity for weapons, with level design that is either symmetrical or designed such that no one team has an advantage over the other.

These are two completely different design goals, which is why you don't play them the same.

Gig

Falagard said:
Wow, we're on a roll for stupid arguments today.

I don't even know how to respond to this since it's so blatantly ridiculous, but I'll try.

You don't play Halo, Call of Duty, or Gears the same way in single player as you do in multiplayer. I think the closest we have to that for competitive versus multiplayer is Left 4 Dead, and that's because in versus mode when you're on the zombie team they spawn cannon fodder zombies that are AI controlled.

The campaign of a game is always going to play differently than the multiplayer of a game. Can you imagine if every enemy you fought had the same skill level, weapons, and intelligence that you do? You'd die 50% of the time in each one on one fight with an enemy in the single player game.

The goal of a multiplayer game is essentially to be completely balanced. In a perfect matchmaking system which matches you against players of the same skill level, with perfectly designed levels and weapon layouts, you should have a kill/death ratio of 1.0, meaning you win (and lose) 50% of your games.

A single player game's goal is to entertain. A player needs to be challenged, but also be able to progress through the game without feeling frustrated. They throw a large number of weaker enemies at you, or a smaller number of strong enemies at you. They design the levels specifically with your progression in mind - how you are going to move through the level, setting up enemies, weapons, and waypoints to meet the dev's single player design goals. That often means you are outnumbered, which is why in Gears' campaign you have to play very differently than when playing multiplayer.

As I said above, in multiplayer, teams should be balanced. The same number of opponents, with similar skill levels, and an equal opportunity for weapons, with level design that is either symmetrical or designed such that no one team has an advantage over the other.

These are two completely different design goals, which is why you don't play them the same.

It's not that you have to use different techniques and skills in mutliplayer vs singleplayer, it's that Gears SP and MP play like two completely different genres of a shooter.

Gears is supposed to be stop and pop, not running around like Rambo.

Falagard

Gig said:
It's not that you have to use different techniques and skills in mutliplayer vs singleplayer, it's that Gears SP and MP play like two completely different genres of a shooter.

Gears is supposed to be stop and pop, not running around like Rambo.

Gears has a chainsaw on the end of a gun. How is that stop and pop?

Gears is what it is. It has stop and pop elements, it has chainsaws and shotguns which are obviously not stop and pop. If they wanted it to be completely stop and pop they would have made it nearly impossible to kill an enemy at short range.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Gears has its core game elements. If you don't like it, too bad. You can bitch all you want about the game design, but that's the way the game is. Don't be angry at a player who uses a shotgun the way it is designed to be used.

You can't say you know how the developers intended the game to be unless they come right out and say they didn't want it to be that way. Especially when we're on the second version of the game and it's pretty similar to the first version. If they didn't like the first version they had every opportunity to fix it for the second. They changed some weapons: the shotgun is less powerful and the sniper rifle no longer downs people with an active reload shot.

If there's an obvious bug in Gears which players are exploiting - that's when I get angry. Using an invisible shield while wielding a two handed weapon, for example. Or, if there's a bug such as the shotgun shooting into the ground when firing from the hip only when you're not the host, then I get angry. Or when the game is laggy and the host advantage is so extreme that I lose a fight when I obviously shouldn't, I get angry.

I don't get angry when someone runs at me with a shotgun and wins a fair fight.

Top Bottom