• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Just played a match that had 3 invisible guys on the other team. Wtf

Oh and a smoke down me one round and kept me down so they couldnt find me. Lol

bumpkin

So I was playing the game online last night for a bit, and I have to make a confession... I got pissed off and started two-piecing. :lol The tactic I've gotten sick of being taken down by became my weapon of choice after one particularly annoying match. Though it was really funny when I got rushed by three or four opponents while holding my position in Annex and was dodging and two-piecing like a mad-man and somehow came out alive.

Mohonky

2real4tv said:
I know this is late but.....are there any dedicated servers in Gears 2 because I get alot of lag some games.

No and if there were they'd all be in America which is useless to many of us that well...don't live in America.

Check Left 4 Dead as an example. Though lag doesn't really effect that game a great deal due to the gameplay itself, in a game like Gears though.......

PSGames

Kydd BlaZe said:
wtfisthisshit

seriously, was this game not bug tested before release? there's no excuse for a game of this caliber having so many fucking bugs...

How the fuck do you expect them to check for this:

First grab a smoke grenade and go to the spot that is shown in the video... next throw the nade at the sandbag... before it blows up, roll towards it... while your on the floor hold forward and rapidly press A... your camera should jump over cover but your body should still be on the ground. Move up the stairs by rapidly pressing **LT**... if done correctly your camera should shoot into the air... Lastly, have a friend shoot your body on the floor for about a second, you should then launch up into the air and be able to walk on the sky barrier... be careful because you can get stuck in some areas and when you get shot your heath does not regenerate...

Thats a lot of shit. This isn't some random glitch that can be easily repeated.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Doesn't matter, though. Game is chock-full of stupid fucking glitches...
Compared to how the first game was in the beginning, this almost seems glitch free. It took a lot of time and patches before the first game was playable without having a lot of people fucking up every game by using game braking glitches.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
PSGames said:
How the fuck do you expect them to check for this:

Thats a lot of shit. This isn't some random glitch that can be easily repeated.

Exactly.

Who the hell would expect that a bunch of kids with nothing else better to do are going to sit on hours on end to do shit like that?

Anyways, like the rest of the glitches, they all stem from one thing where people sit and try other things from, so they just have to fix the source, which is in this case the abnormalities with the smokes...

chriskun

Skilotonn said:
Exactly.

Who the hell would expect that a bunch of kids with nothing else better to do are going to sit on hours on end to do shit like that?

Anyways, like the rest of the glitches, they all stem from one thing where people sit and try other things from, so they just have to fix the source, which is in this case the abnormalities with the smokes...
guess they are gonna have to get rid of the smokes huh? Thats really unfortunate, everyone just fuckin LOVES THEM!!

Mr. Durden said:
Compared to how the first game was in the beginning, this almost seems glitch free. It took a lot of time and patches before the first game was playable without having a lot of people fucking up every game by using game braking glitches.

:lol :lol
Are we playing the same game? This game is basically BROKEN and unplayable online.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I know I've said this a bunch of times, but seriously, WTF at those goddamn Cyclops.

If you have your chainsaw revved and they don't, you still go to a chainsaw duel (I've come at them from behind and we still went to a chainsaw duel).

On the flip side, if you don't have your chainsaw revved and they do, your fucking dead (and they just love to run at, you shoot you a couple of times to lower your chainsaw, and when you try and rev your chiansaw again you stumble two or three times).

Baker

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Are we playing the same game? This game is basically BROKEN and unplayable online.

Gears2 is more broken on a fundamental level, but I think he's talking about how every Gears1 match would just turn into crab walks and people jumping out of the map so they didn't lose. That was a lot more infuriating than smoke grenades.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Apparently you've never played the first game online. And CoD3 for that matter, shouldn't be playable for you either. Really, there are worse

dfyb

Banned
ok wtf. i'm playing co-op, on chapter 4 of act 4 (Hive: No turning back). i'm stuck or something. we cleared the guys, there was something on the other side of a big door but it stopped making noise. AI teamates are on a level above that we dropped down from to engage the enemy. there's a switch, but the AI guys won't press it and we can't get back up. are we literally stuck? we got down here by dropping down.. felt kinda wonky, but that's where the enemies were.

we dropped from this ledge...
http://upload.dfyb.net/uploaded/droppedfromhere.jpeg

hopefully this will give you guys an idea where i am (this is where the enemies were, the door back there was the one with something banging on it)
http://upload.dfyb.net/uploaded/location.jpeg

here's the switch we think opens the door, but our AI buddies just wonder around near it.
http://upload.dfyb.net/uploaded/switch.jpeg

I just played a few matches online and stopped after 3 rounds of my team getting murdered. I came in here thinking I was the only one frustrated at the online experience. Its pretty unmotivating when i'm firing my shotgun at an enemy and its completely unresponsive. The game feels loose or something. I was pretty darned good at Gears 1, and I'm having trouble even being decent on Gears 2. I know I haven't lost that much skill, so i've got to think some of my troubles (and everyone's) stem from the bad online.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
chriskun said:
guess they are gonna have to get rid of the smokes huh? Thats really unfortunate, everyone just fuckin LOVES THEM!!

Smokes better stay - just make sure they don't cause stuff like flying up like that is all...

Dosia

Just got done playing gears 1 with my friend and it is so much better than gears 2. Fast paced and gets your adrenaline pumping.

2real4tv

cjelly said:
Haven't played campaign since November. Try YouTube and just pause when it gets to where you want. :p

http://uk.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=07ADDB826CCAA111&page=4

lol....I did the same exact thing:lol. The only fix for me was to go to a previous checkpoint and next time don't jump roll down the cliff hit a switch which will bring down a bridge where you roll off at.

edit: whoops quoted the wrong post it was meant for the post above yours:lol

Feindflug

Memphis Reigns said:
I just played a few matches online and stopped after 3 rounds of my team getting murdered. I came in here thinking I was the only one frustrated at the online experience. Its pretty unmotivating when i'm firing my shotgun at an enemy and its completely unresponsive. The game feels loose or something. I was pretty darned good at Gears 1, and I'm having trouble even being decent on Gears 2. I know I haven't lost that much skill, so i've got to think some of my troubles (and everyone's) stem from the bad online.

Yesterday was the last time I played Gears 2 mp, 7 out of the 10 matches were laggy as hell - in one round I got the glitch were you shoot and nothing happens, another time I died because the stupid boomshot exploded in my feet and in the most matches I died because of some stupid smoke grenade...I just opened the tray and popped in COD4 - sure I'm a fuckin' n00b in COD4 and I still prefer Gears gameplay but the mp is unplayable & broken..the great thing about online mp games is competition and there is no such thing in Gears 2 especially for lonewolfs like me who 90% of the time have chainsaw n00bs/grenade tagging campers with no mics in their team and play against a team of friends who have little to no lag as most of the time the host is one of them.

As Full Recovery said "Gears of War: Let the man with the best connection win!".

Mohonky

DubloSeven said:
Hm, I just realised that Mark Rein's post doesn't mention a region filter.

This does not bode well.

I doubt they'll include it.

They'll 'fix' it so the best connection to the server gets host. This will always be an American connection and thus, the problem will be solved for Americans while the rest of the world will have to simply take it up the ass.

That's basically what happen with COD4. I think it was the incessant bitching on the official COD forums that had Infinity Ward include the region filtering.

It shouldn't even be an option, region filtering should be mandatory in MP games. If it's not in future games, I'm not interested. I'm sick to death of having to spend hours searching for Australian hosts in shooters.

I'm not interested in COD: WAW but I may end up picking it back up simply because I know I can jump in a game and it'll be a good connection, rather than jumping from lobby to lobby. Though with Gears 2 matchmaking setup, thats not even possible, you can't see how bad the lag is or the connection quality and every game makes you join another random host. It's such a load of shit.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
GAF interest in this game is so fucking dead, its so annoying.

Whenever I wanna play, I check my friends list and no one is playing it. Makes me feel too lazy to even bother getting the game out of the case and loading it up.

Who's willing to play some more? warts and all? I just wanna shoot some locusts now and then. The way things have gone I can't imagine a patch would even get people on my friends list playing this again.

I bought a new 360 and 12 months of XBL for this sucka!

JB1981

kaizoku said:
GAF interest in this game is so fucking dead, its so annoying.

Whenever I wanna play, I check my friends list and no one is playing it. Makes me feel too lazy to even bother getting the game out of the case and loading it up.

Who's willing to play some more? warts and all? I just wanna shoot some locusts now and then. The way things have gone I can't imagine a patch would even get people on my friends list playing this again.

I bought a new 360 and 12 months of XBL for this sucka!
Sorry, man. It's just not worth the effort :(

Too many other worthwhile games to play at the moment.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Evonus said:
But you used to argue so well about what a terrible experience it is.

You were right! :lol

its terribly BROKEN, I can still play it for hours with a good group of friends. Said that all along, can criticise something and still like it.

anyway as soon as I made that post, started up a game, before the game even starts the opposition team is gone. Just 5 of us on one team.

Game still goes through with the mode and map selection, starts the game up, bam we win :lol

I got my "Its good to be king" achievement too for winning 10 rounds as leader, which was nice :D

But yeah fuck this game, fuck you EPIC! :(

whitehawk

Banned
kaizoku said:
its terribly BROKEN, I can still play it for hours with a good group of friends. Said that all along, can criticise something and still like it.

anyway as soon as I made that post, started up a game, before the game even starts the opposition team is gone. Just 5 of us on one team.

Game still goes through with the mode and map selection, starts the game up, bam we win :lol

I got my "Its good to be king" achievement too for winning 10 rounds as leader, which was nice :D

But yeah fuck this game, fuck you EPIC! :(
Add me on XBL. I still play a lot. In fact depsite the mad glitches, Its still the only game I play basically :lol

Falagard

Zezboob said:
No region or ping filter = no interest

Well, the thing is, a good matchmaking system should be able to deal with that behind the scenes. It should know where you're from and match you up with people in the same region automatically.

The key part of that sentence is "good matchmaking system" which Gears lacks.

I ranked down from 3 to 2 today after the host quit and ended the match since we started winning. I always thought those didn't count against you. =\

whitehawk

Banned
Which reminds me, you basically only rank up from wingman. I played with a friend, and after 2 losses, he went to 2nd rank. another 2 wins, hes back to 3rd. We could lose twenty submission matches and nothing would happen.

whitehawk said:
Which reminds me, you basically only rank up from wingman. I played with a friend, and after 2 losses, he went to 2nd rank. another 2 wins, hes back to 3rd. We could lose twenty submission matches and nothing would happen.
Ranks are determined by your k/d ratio. I'm extremely sure. I was ranked up and down 3-4 times in about an hour. If I played good (more kills than deaths) I went to rank 3, if I had more deaths, I went down.

I never lost a rank due to my team losing. It's something individual it seems.

Zezboob

Falagard said:
Well, the thing is, a good matchmaking system should be able to deal with that behind the scenes. It should know where you're from and match you up with people in the same region automatically.

The key part of that sentence is "good matchmaking system" which Gears lacks.
Well, it's a bit more complicated, there is a lot of parameters in a matchmaking : level of the opponents, quality of connection, rapidity of the search etc...

Usually it's a good balance of all these parameters, but due to the bad netcode and to the nature of the fights on Gears (where the shotgun is really important, and in close distance fight any step can be decisive) the matchmaking should definitely make the quality of connection a priority.

That's said, it's true that either way it's totally unacceptable to enter in match with more 0,5sec of latency.... which happens a lot when you don't live on the North America...

Hellraizer said:
Ranks are determined by your k/d ratio. I'm extremely sure. I was ranked up and down 3-4 times in about an hour. If I played good (more kills than deaths) I went to rank 3, if I had more deaths, I went down.
I am extremely sure that's wrong. It's just broken, too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I'm a total idiot. I cannot figure out for the life of me how you're supposed to use the mortar.

I'm in part 1, where
there is the large creature coming out of the traffic tunnel. I grab a mortar, aim it at the creature, and the round always falls right on the roof in front of me. If I hold down the fire button for one click, the round hits the rock face above the tunnel. I can't make the round actually hit anywhere but the rock face or the floor in front of me... not matter how long or short I hold the fire button. How are you supposed to do this?

Keep trying because he takes quite a few hits, depending on what side you are on you just adjust the shot power, dunno why you are missing like that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Diablohead said:
Keep trying because he takes quite a few hits, depending on what side you are on you just adjust the shot power, dunno why you are missing like that.

I am on the Hotel side. Should I be shooting from behind the sandbags on the balcony? It seems I have to stay on the balcony where I find them...

Should I just be pointing my aiming reticule right on the guy to hit him?

Hammer24

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Should I just be pointing my aiming reticule right on the guy to hit him?

Its not that precise. Just point the reticule in the desired direction. How long you hold the firebutton determines how far away the mortar rounds will hit. Thats the more important part. Just keep at it, you´ll get the hang soon enough!

Top Bottom