• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

REV 09

johnFkennedy said:
I got the combustible map pack today. Also, I'm sad to see the two piece go. There was nothing really unbalanced about it, it was just annoying.
it's not really gone, people just can't charge with it anymore. If you're already in close quarters then it should still work.

cresto

Tomcat said:
we dont know if they will be ever free
Map Pack is Realeasing March 31st for $10

Edit: Region Preference is one of the things I am most excited for...hopefully it helps with the lag situation. I also can't wait to see how well the bots fair. I'm hoping they are more of a distraction than a big help just because that way I am not getting bum rushed by 3 guys.

Edit2: G4 is retarded

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
True, but I welcome it. All anyone does in this game is roadie runs towards you and two-pieces right out of it. So god damn annoying.

Yes, annoying, but what's MORE annoying is if you get a solid shot off someone who's roadie running towards you it does nothing most of the time. They can still keep running, 2 piece, and shoot. Remember that time on Blood Drive when the guy was running up the stairs at me. I had an active reload, shot him (from about 5 feet away) and he ran right through it. Shit happens ALL the time.

The problem is, because of lag, they have to punish the person doing the running/two piece because they don't have a solution for the person who is shooting as a defense.

All I want is a shotgun that acts like it is supposed to. I think the Gears 2 shotgun is the most inconsistent weapon in the history of gaming. You can blast someone on the ground after being smoked and 50% of the time it results in a gib and the other 50% of the time the guy gets up no problem. I guess we're lucky that the shotgun works at all. Afterall, this is the game that was released with a shotgun that shoots the ground when fired from the hip :lol

REV 09

ergo said:
Map Pack is Realeasing April 9th for $10

Edit: Region Preference is one of the things I am most excited for...hopefully it helps with the lag situation. I also can't wait to see how well the bots fair. I'm hoping they are more of a distraction than a big help just because that way I am not getting bum rushed by 3 guys.
that's the halo map pack...the Gears pack will be available March 31st.

Shins

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Haha, yeah, it just wasn't that tho. I dunno, I don't like private matches. I don't really try or pay attention. Plus all the weapon changes and FF is annoying. I love friendly fire with games like Rainbow Six or GRAW. It just doesn't work with Gears unless you have a team that is communicating their position constantly... "frag planted on lower staircase" "I am turning the corner with the boomshot" "I am firing the mortar at the house" or shit like that. Too many crazy weapons with splash damage + close quarters.
This is why I can't stand playing custom matches set up exactly like public ones. Public matches are better for real play. The only advantage of custom matches comes in fucking around.

I will never buy the Combustible Map Pack (or Halo 3's Mythic Map Pack for that matter) unless the price was reduced.

Microsoft really needs to address the DLC disparity that happens. Why are a 3-map pack and a 4-map pack for Gears of War 2 priced the same? I didn't buy Halo 3's Legendary Map Pack until it cut to 600MS because I will never pay $10 for a pack of three maps when a $10 point for four maps has largely been the rule.

I'll probably pick up the Snowblind Map Pack if the game proves to be less glitchy and broken.

I'd also buy Combustible if it got cut to anything 600MS or lower, but I will never pay $10 for it.

Shins

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
I'd also buy Combustible if it got cut to anything 600MS or lower, but I will never pay $10 for it.
You stand up to The Man for that $2.50 bro.

127386010_a3d4e3ede1_o.jpg

He would be so proud.

Shins said:
You stand up to The Man for that $2.50 bro.

127386010_a3d4e3ede1_o.jpg

He would be so proud.

I will, because I am not an irresponsible consumer.

Once you start telling them that $10 is okay, then it'll be $12.50. Then it'll be $15.

Once you support higher prices, it becomes a slippery slope.

JB1981

Sounds really, really good. Very happy with how Epic has addressed the issues plaguing this game. One could argue that the game should have shipped with many of these "fixes" and "features" but who can complain if they ultimately do come our way.

Also, I hate custom matches too. If the party size is too big, the party should split up. 2 groups of 4 or whatever is fine by me. As long as I don't get matched up against Thirdengine , I'm good. :)

Shins

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
I will, because I am not an irresponsible consumer.
I hope you didn't infer sarcasm from my post. I am genuinely moved by your show of solidarity in the face of these cutthroat suits. These JACKANINNIES.

The word "hero" gets bandied about an awful lot these days, but gosh, you're just a testament to all which is right and sound and logical on this Earth. I salute you!

DoomGyver

Tomcat said:
we dont know if they will be ever free
If Epic follows the same policies they held with Gears 1 it will eventually be made free.

Unless Microsoft made them their bitch, which now that I think about it wouldn't surprise me.

somethng else: roadie running is extremely silent. it lets even the greenest scrub sneak up on someone for the two-piece or chainsaw. with that and infinismokes out of the way, so many cheesy deaths will be prevented.

chriskun

warbegins said:
somethng else: roadie running is extremely silent. it lets even the greenest scrub sneak up on someone for the two-piece or chainsaw. with that and infinismokes out of the way, so many cheesy deaths will be prevented.
wait, infinismokes are out??

chriskun said:
wait, infinismokes are out??
* Reduces stun duration of smoke grenades. Currently, characters always start to get up after 2 seconds.

no more sliding down a huge flight of stairs, with yakkity sax playing in your head due to the sheer goofiness of it all.

Aladuf

Banned
Good matches there fellas, I'm taking a liking to King of the Hill but it's just near impossible to enjoy it to its fullest because of the framerate plunges. If Epic could figure out how to make it more tolerable then I'd be interested in playing KotH a lot more.

I'll be on after chuck...if anyone cares. I'm ready to play TOMORROW night though...

You guys were playing King? I like territories WAY more than elimination, but no one ever wants to play it anymore.

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I'll be on after chuck...if anyone cares. I'm ready to play TOMORROW night though...

You guys were playing King? I like territories WAY more than elimination, but no one ever wants to play it anymore.
We were doing the Combustible maps and towards the end KotH got voted up. It was actually pretty fun but endless smokes and the game running at about 10 FPS (probably, I don't really have an eye for that shit though) created a bit of a clusterfuck. Like I said, if they could iron out some of that, I'd be up for playing it a lot more.

I'll be back on in about an hour too, we're gonna do separate groups tonight it seems, in order to avoid Private matches. That's how we just did it since there was already more than five people online playing. It sucked not being able to play with everyone but it worked out alright otherwise.

AnEternalEnigma said:
Microsoft really needs to address the DLC disparity that happens. Why are a 3-map pack and a 4-map pack for Gears of War 2 priced the same? I didn't buy Halo 3's Legendary Map Pack until it cut to 600MS because I will never pay $10 for a pack of three maps when a $10 point for four maps has largely been the rule.

it sounds like you are using the price point that COD has set, with four maps for $10, so i thought i'd repost this:

warbegins said:
you're right, the intern that ports the COD single player maps over to multiplayer doesn't work for free!

wait, maybe he does.

quantity does not equal budget nor time devoted.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
We were doing the Combustible maps and towards the end KotH got voted up. It was actually pretty fun but endless smokes and the game running at about 10 FPS (probably, I don't really have an eye for that shit though) created a bit of a clusterfuck. Like I said, if they could iron out some of that, I'd be up for playing it a lot more.

That was messed up. Not only did the framerate dive but we couldn't even fire our weapons. Like, I was pressing the right trigger over and over again and nothing was happening. The engine/netcode can't handle that much shit going on. Can't wait for all the maps to be in a nice, neat and tidy warzone/execution list.

Aladuf said:
we're gonna do separate groups tonight it seems, in order to avoid Private matches. That's how we just did it since there was already more than five people online playing. It sucked not being able to play with everyone but it worked out alright otherwise.

What does everyone think of this? I think this the best way to handle the influx of players. We could have two groups of 3 or something. I just feel really bad when someone joins a bit LTTP and basically their whole night is wasted because the match is full. Rather than create a private match, two guys could join that player. Earlier today it was a bit of a clusterfuck and somehow REV got caught out by himself. Felt bad :\

Dosia

So will teams still be unable to talk to each other between rounds in public matches? If so that really sucks and was one of the most important things I wanted back.

Why?

I don't want to hear the verbal diarrhea that usually gets spewed from other teams. It's bad enough they make you sit in the post-game lobby for 25 seconds.

-PXG-

I've been waiting since November 7th to play this game. Good thing the wait is over. I can actually play the damn thing now.

DoomGyver

-PXG- said:
I've been waiting since November 7th to play this game. Good thing the wait is over. I can actually play the damn thing now.
Don't speak too soon, brah.

Messages like these are best sent via M2AF:

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Don't speak too soon, brah.

Messages like these are best sent via M2AF:
:lol :lol :lol

Time recieved: 12:23 am

M2AF: Just a friendly reminder that Gears 2 TU3 goes live at around 2 am PST/ 5 am EST. A lot of changes have been made which make the game run a lot smoother, as well as make it more balanced. Also, the new maps come out the 31st :)

PXG, you're too easy, man.

-PXG-

Aladuf said:
:lol :lol :lol

Time recieved: 12:23 am

PXG, you're too easy, man.

Too easy for what? Milking me for laughs? :lol

Anyway, I am REALLY excited for this update. I'm loving Epic right now. This, the Snowblind maps plus the UT3 2.0 patch and the Titan Pack made me a really happy boy.

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
Too easy for what? Milking me for laughs? :lol

Anyway, I am REALLY excited for this update. I'm loving Epic right now. This, the Snowblind maps plus the UT3 2.0 patch and the Titan Pack made me a really happy boy.
Bingo.

The update will be fucking fantastic I'm sure, but this game has been playable for a good while. Sure, before TU2 it was rough and I did stop playing, but since that thing hit, this game has been just fine. You should have at least given it a try.

M@AF: I just finished my pint of SoCo...am fucking hammered. Going to bed, piss off my wife, then sleeping in guest room. Work tomorrow will suck. My chainsaw is only beaten by RJ.

-PXG-

Aladuf said:
Bingo.

The update will be fucking fantastic I'm sure, but this game has been playable for a good while. Sure, before TU2 it was rough and I did stop playing, but since that thing hit, this game has been just fine. You should have at least given it a try.

I did. But there were still moments of utter BS that put a horrible taste in my mouth. Gears 2 is great, but it has a few minor things about it that have a huge effect on the experience. Many of those issues will be fixed once and for all, tonight......hopefully.....

I just hope with Gears 3, Epic goes back to what made Gears 1 so good: simple, fast paced, cooperative, close quarters combat. None of this smoke grenade, power weapon whoring, two piecing, chainsaw bullshit. Plus, bring back Player Match.

Shit, who DOESN'T want Player Match? Who!?!?!?!

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
Shit, who DOESN'T want Player Match? Who!?!?!?!
Player matches were fun but I think it was more of because it was such a convenience compared to Ranked. You couldn't (easily) go into Ranked with friends, so Player made it simple. With matchmaking now, it's all good, Private matches are like public enemy #1 in this thread and nobody has a real interest in going back.

Either way, in Gears 3, I wouldn't hold my breath in anticipation of them taking steps backwards with a lot of these things.

-PXG-

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
You forgot the M@AF before the "not cool".

If I remember correctly the M@AF is what drove me to remove you from my friends list. I just couldn't take the random messages anymore.

You don't HAVE to read 'em :/ I get them all the time from people. Guess what? I don't open them. Simple as that.

A lot of people on Live bug me about when shit comes out. So, I just send info to everyone just in case they didn't know. Fuck.

Top Bottom