• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

alexel

HMMMMMM......

Picture5-3.png

If there's any team of 3 on gaf that would like to play me and a couple of my friends, let us know (IF YOU'RE UP FOR THE CHALLENGE).

Flunkie

Banned
Good matches tonight. Private matches aren't bad with game chat.

I was getting fucking pissed towards the end with my mic, though. The X4 mic has fucked up on me like that before, and I just changed the batteries and it was fine, but this time I changed the batteries 3 times and I still could not talk. I could hear, but it wouldn't let me talk. However, it did the little shound blip thing for mute/unmute. So, sorry about that one blur of sound in the lobby that one time.

Oh, and since this seems to be the popular thing to do:

2130ys9.jpg

cresto

So I finally finished the campaign earlier today and I have to admit that the
brumak riding
was probably the best part of the whole damn thing. It was some what anti clamatic the way you had to take down the
super brumak
and how you were practically invensable while on the
brumak
, but I don't mind. Overall the entire campaign sort of was a let down. Truly I was not looking for a stellar SP as I mainly wanted the MP (regret this, now).

I will say I am glad I finally finished the stupid thing. I was stuck on one section where there was
a courtyard with a turret in the middle
and died probably 20+ times. I tried on several different times and I just got so frustrated I turned my 360 off. Dom was a total dbag and didn't do a fucking thing to help. That's probably why I took so long.

So yeah, tuesday is going to be good...here's to hoping I don't get called in for my jury summons!

Aladuf

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
Hmm why are all my stats zeroed out?
Because the sudden surge of GAFfers and lurkers realizing that Gears.com actually has detailed stats is destroying the very foundation of the site.

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
What are you guys doing to post your stats? I wanna hang with the cool kids who like to fuck with the weapon loadouts and friendly fire!
Exactly, one guy doesn't like friendly fire, one guy doesn't like swapped weapons, one guy doesn't like default weapons, one guy just wants boomshot taken off.. and on and on. Nobody likes private matches, plain and simple. With so many people playing again, we might need to consider just breaking things up and getting multiple things going so everyone can just do ranked matches and not have to deal with private match shit.

chriskun

alexel said:
HMMMMMM......

[
If there's any team of 3 on gaf that would like to play me and a couple of my friends, let us know (IF YOU'RE UP FOR THE CHALLENGE).
Most played gametype=annex:lol

Aladuf

Banned
So what your trying to say is your not gonna tell me the stat thing? :lol
My bad. :p

Go to gearsofwar.com, roll over "Stats" and then click on Gears 2 MP Stats. From there you can click compare or go look at stats for individual maps and all that.

I knew how to see them, just didn't know how you were linking to the stat boxes. Fuck it, copy & paste time.

OVERVIEW
Play Record
Games Played 716
Wins 499
Losses 217
Win/Loss Ratio 2.30
Kills 7,921
Deaths 5,483
Kill/Death Ratio 1.44
Games Without Dying 58
Most Played Map Blood Drive
Most Played Game Type King of the Hill
Time Played 5 day(s), 23:25:35
Time in Cover 04:12:23
Time in Roadie Run 21:03:25
Assists 3,359
Revives 411

Weapon Details
Most Kills Gnasher Shotgun
Chainsaw Duels 87
Wins 47
Losses 37
Ties 3
Win/Loss Ratio 1.27
Chainsaw Deaths 835
Active Reloads 10,636
Perfect 8,058
Success 2,336
Failure 242
Grenade Tags 86
Grenade Mines Triggered 2,805

Kill Details
Executions 1,042
Headshots 312
Gibs 5,388
Longest Kill Streak 20
Chainsaw Kills 1,206
Melee Kills 234
Martyr Attempts 23
Martyr Kills 19

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
How did I miss this? You're worse than Flunkie. :lol
You found the firefox extension to change any word to whatever you want didn't you?

I knew how to see them, just didn't know how you were linking to the stat boxes. Fuck it, copy & paste time.
Print Screen and MS Paint, ftw.

Shins

Banned
I wanna hang with the cool kids who like to fuck with the weapon loadouts and friendly fire!
Friendly fire makes things more interesting. Better left off in public matches where you cannot be guaranteed anything about your teammates. In private matches, it makes for good fun, so long as one is mindful not to abuse it.

Matchmaking is better for everything though. I hate playing against some of you people, because A.) you do the same annoying shit that everyone else does when playing Gears, which is fantastic when we're on the same team, and horrid when we're not, B.) I feel a pang of guilt when I realize how annoying getting meleed with a pistol must be every round, and C.) Matchmaking ensures a greater diversity in who matches play out, and offer far less hurt feelings.

Full Recovery said:
How did I miss this? You're worse than Flunkie. :lol
Oh goodness. Time to kill myself. Wait, you're Full Recovery. So that means I'm not. So now I feel better!

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Ahh, t'was a fine snipe. I call that one "The Thinker" because that motherfucker had to sit down and think about that snipe I popped on his ass
and because of that other famous thing..
. :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
And that's right about when you quit out of the match and went into Public isn't it? :lol

Haha, yeah, it just wasn't that tho. I dunno, I don't like private matches. I don't really try or pay attention. Plus all the weapon changes and FF is annoying. I love friendly fire with games like Rainbow Six or GRAW. It just doesn't work with Gears unless you have a team that is communicating their position constantly... "frag planted on lower staircase" "I am turning the corner with the boomshot" "I am firing the mortar at the house" or shit like that. Too many crazy weapons with splash damage + close quarters.

ThirdEngine said:
I still can't believe nothing has been said about a price change for the Combustible maps.

>.>

h3ro

ThirdEngine said:
I still can't believe nothing has been said about a price change for the Combustible maps.

I hope they make them free... I doubt it though, why would MS want reward the player base and cut any sort of minor profit...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Full Recovery said:
8-9am EST time.

Combustible map pack will probably become free sometime in the summer.

Thanks. Hoping for this. Will just buy the Snowblind Pack when it arrives.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Haha, yeah, it just wasn't that tho. I dunno, I don't like private matches. I don't really try or pay attention. Plus all the weapon changes and FF is annoying. I love friendly fire with games like Rainbow Six or GRAW. It just doesn't work with Gears unless you have a team that is communicating their position constantly... "frag planted on lower staircase" "I am turning the corner with the boomshot" "I am firing the mortar at the house" or shit like that. Too many crazy weapons with splash damage + close quarters.
Friendly fire doesn't bother me too much, but what does bother me is the fact that I plant a grenade and either I or a teammate will set it off. That makes no sense to me.

Either way though, Private matches are terrible and I can't really take them seriously like you said. No more of that mess.

custom gamesssss. my precioussss!

well, i like matchmaking too, so whatever. not gonna lie, i did feel guilty while hosting that shit yesterday. it's hard to get as much satisfaction out of killing you fools when that advantage is looming over every fight. when we are facing pub teams who gives a fuck rite? also going to say that it fucks with my game. playing a dozen games as host will get you real cozy with that 0 ms connection. i would rather deal with the 30-50% host rate i get in matchmaking and keep my lag compensation skills sharp.

Aladuf

Banned
Here's the official TU3 post by Rod Fergusson on the Epic forums, he just posted it a little while ago. I haven't looked at it closely but it's got to be all the same as the list that was posted here a few days back. Anyways, here it is again.

Hey All,

The much anticipated Title Update 3 is out of certification and is going live on March 24th at 2 AM PST/5 AM EST. Please remeber it takes awhile for the update to propagate so it may take up to several hours after that time before it's available locally. Also, if you start getting matchmaking connection issues, it means others have the update and you don't, so please exit the game and fire it up again in order to download the update. Also please note that some of the new achievements require the next map pack "Snowblind" which will be released next week.

We want to thank the community again for their patience and support and we hope you enjoy the changes we're bringing with Title Update 3.

Now for the details -

Gears of War 2 Title Update 3 Detailed Release Notes
The following fixes and improvements are included in Title Update 3.

Improvements
Title Update 3 makes these new improvements:

* Adds 100 levels of player experience that you can gain based on your score in Public matches. The game still uses Trueskill for matchmaking to find the most competitive matches, but the skill rank is now hidden. The new level of experience appears next to your gamertag, with levels 1 through 99 displayed as numbers and level 100 displayed as an icon. The game normalizes experience based on match type so that players earn an equivalent amount of experience across all modes.
* Adds an experience penalty for players quitting before a match is complete.
* Adds bots automatically to a Public Match if players quit and cause unbalanced teams. This ability has always existed in Private Matches if the bot count is set higher than zero.
* Optimizes playlists to only have two modes per playlist. Ties are decided by random selection.
* Adds the ability for teams to talk to each other between rounds in a Private Match.
* Adds the ability to save Public and Private Horde high scores after each complete wave, in case the host loses connection before failing or completing all fifty waves.
* Makes minor changes to general bandwidth usage.
* Adds region preference to matchmaking.
* Improves standby detection.
* Adds nine new achievements worth 250 points. Progress toward them starts after Title Update 3 is applied. Six of the new achievements require the Snowblind Map Pack, a set of four new maps to be released soon. The nine new achievements:

o "Rookie Gear" (10 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 5 (Public only).
o "Seasoned Gear" (20 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 15 (Public only).
o "Battle-Tested Gear" (30 points): Earn enough multiplayer experience to reach level 25 (Public only).
o "Battle-Hardened Gear" (50 points): Reach level 50 and play a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Veteran Gear" (75 points): Reach level 100 and win a match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (Public only).
o "Never Eat Red Snow" (20 points): Complete waves 1 through 10 on all Snowblind Map Pack maps in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Icy Dead People" (25 points): Complete waves 1 through 50 on any Snowblind Map Pack map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Frigid Body Dynamics" (5 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).
o "The Weather Outside Is Lethal" (15 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the four Snowblind Map Pack maps (any mode).

Exploit Fixes
Title Update 3 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:

* A player could swap from a pistol to a two-handed weapon during a cover slide and then mantle greater distances.
* Players could kill themselves in Wingman to avoid giving their opponents more points. Now, suicides and team killing will reduce team score.
* A player holding a meatshield could melee through some walls.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a shield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could equip a two-handed weapon with a meatshield using either the Boltok or the Gorgon pistol.
* A player could prevent planted shields from being picked up by other players.
* Players could launch themselves into the air with a smoke grenade while mantling.

General Fixes
Title Update 3 fixes these other issues as well:

* An issue that caused chainsaw interruption when a player is shot to be less reliable in some body positions than in others.
* An issue where a third player could join a Public Wingman party lobby and remove another player from the game.
* An issue in Submission games where occasionally the meatflag would immediately run back to the spawn point after being dropped.
* An issue where players that were knocked down but not out (DBNO) while planting the Boomshield would appear to be standing.
* An elevation-based issue where the detection for a headshot might not align properly with certain character model heads.
* An issue that could cause Wingman teammates to have different character models.
* Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.

Balancing
Title Update 3 makes these balancing changes:

* Reduces stun duration of smoke grenades. Currently, characters always start to get up after 2 seconds.
* Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2.
* Removes spawn protection from the Horde in Horde mode.
* Increased the forward angle that triggers chainsaw duels so that players with Lancers equipped won't be sawn from the side without a duel.
* Reduces the delay before a player can climb up after entering low cover.
* Makes minor changes to weapon spawns on the Subway map to provide greater balance.

We continue to test internally and monitor online gameplay to determine what else may need adjusting.

Thanks,

Rod.

Aladuf

Banned
Tomcat said:
The most controversial subject in this update
True, but I welcome it. All anyone does in this game is roadie runs towards you and two-pieces right out of it. So god damn annoying.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Tomcat said:
The most controversial subject in this update
On second thought, I don't think this is for two-piecing. I think this is actually like meleeing someone right after roadie running, which is kind of retarded.

Tomcat

yes its annoying but restricting the movements of players isnt good either. I would prefered the solution of gears 1. When you failed to melee you got stunned

pelicansurf said:
On second thought, I don't think this is for two-piecing. I think this is actually like meleeing someone right after roadie running, which is kind of retarded.
that is the number one way in which people initiate a two-piece, though. rolling and then landing a melee is much harder and is rightfully not punished with a delay.

* Gives melee the same delay after roadie running that shooting received in Title Update 2.
i assume the chainsaw is included in this as well. it was mentioned in a previous Epic forum post, at least.

REV 09

this update is going to be EPIC...i've been dreaming of a more tactical gears of war mp experience since November 06. These balance changes sound perfect to me. Get your two-piecing in tonight fellas.

the shortened stun nade duration is just icing on the cake.

ok....now i'm thinking. What if the stun nade had an active reload type game mechanic tied to the get up duration? The worst thing about the stun nade is that it takes control out of the player's hands. imagine, if it not only returned control to the player, but also made it skill based..ala active reloads. Get stunned, hit the get up timer perfectly, and the character model shakes it off, bouncing right back up. Screw up the timer and the dude might trip over his feet coughing while getting up....:lol

I got the combustible map pack today. Also, I'm sad to see the two piece go. There was nothing really unbalanced about it, it was just annoying.

Top Bottom