• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

smik

**this was posted on the TU3 thread**

i actually brought myself to put this back in

okay without any exaggeration...
this is how my first 13 matches played out

party of 5 all ready to go.....

Japan 4-5 Guardian Won
Japan 1-2 Guardian Lost
Hosted Execution 5-1 Won
French Execution 3-5 lost (2second bullet lag)
Japan Lost
American Lost
American Won
Hosted vs Japan 5-1 Won
(other team leaves, bots are implemented. boys proceed to laugh at the incredibly bad AI
Candian
Japan Lost
German Lost (2.0 second bullet lag...)
American Warzone Canals 5-1 Lost
Italian 2-1 Annex Lost
(this happened to be the last straw) 2.5 second bullet lag on Annex... unacceptable period

....really its beyond bad, out of those 13 matches only 2 were playable the rest we very unbearable, this shit is just not acceptable from Epic games studios.

it may be early but the region filter would not even kick in or search for a local game it would instantly throw us into another match straight away without even briefly trying to locate local region preference.

i cant defend this type of move from EPIC its completely backwards from the original lobby system and providing a lag free match is a very hard task for Gears 2, all these matches would have been red ping indicated in Gears 1 and i would have been able to avoid these easily in Gears 1, but now.... players will be stuck with this crap no amount of updates can fix this game.

Gears lost its laid back approach, player matches would have been enough from EPIC for people to enjoy some casual matches with friends and random local players, but idk what they are thinking and frankly i dont care...this is their vision and it really doesnt matter what i say

2 positives if ppl are looking for them is the smokes, you will only be knocked down fora period of 2 seconds only. and 2 piecing is not much of a big issue as it was, but that comes with a double edge sword you cant run and shoot,melee,tag or do anything while running so the game has really immobilized the player even more.

i know it hurts but atm TU3 has failed hard, im sorry :(...Gears 2 is just broken when it comes to Multiplayer/Matchmaking as far as im concerned

also didnt get lagged switched in any of those games played

this is my 79 cents

Gears 2 "Dark Corners" SP DLC?

031409_AsiaMarNL_TWHard_01_57.jpg

Tomcat

More info about the tu3
interesting stuff

When questioned about the new standby detection code

The current standby code is based off of the original from Gears1 with a number of improvements. I wrote both so I know.

When asked about lag switching

The punishment does not happen the second that they lag switch. It tracks it and happens later.

When asked if there were any standby/lag switch cheaters yet

I need to look at the database to see how many people have been caught. I do know that the code detects the various network hiccups, as the MS networking lab tried all kinds of various cheats. The threshold can be updated by our servers, so we can clamp it down tighter if needed.

and more

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=668035

Falagard

Merguson said:
So guys, has the TU3 improved the game? or is it still considerably broken?

I immediately noticed you get up faster after smoke grenades and two piecing was a bit less rampant. I played 1 match, lasted 9 rounds.

I have a long list of things I'd still like them to fix, but it's better than it was before.

zaidr

It seems to populate the lobby room incrementally. I just got on with a 1 v 2 match, and it turned out to be a 4v5 match by the end of it. Sucks those guys can't vote though...

REV 09

zaidr said:
It seems to populate the lobby room incrementally. I just got on with a 1 v 2 match, and it turned out to be a 4v5 match by the end of it. Sucks those guys can't vote though...
that happens sometimes...it's not related to TU3, and yeah, it kind of sucks.

Edit: from a producer on the game
"Since many people have asked about the region preferences, I'll explain how it works. It sorts matches by country with your country as being the best choice. If there are matches in your country that have space for you, you will join them before a match from a different country. If no matches are available in your country and there are matches available with a ping of less than 200, then you will join that match.

You do not pick the country. It automatically detects your country. "
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26186736&postcount=2

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ok, some random observations:

- After about 5-6 games, I haven't had a host quit out yet.

- The chainsaw is now MORE powerful. Why? Well, *the* move used to be roadie->2 piece->shoot. Not anymore. After roadie running you stand up. This gives the chainsaw guy a nice window to cut you in half. As the regular guys know, I use this move all the time (hiding behind walls, corners, waiting for the run). Now it's even more effective because you have an extra second there where they cannot melee you with their shotgun. This opens up the window for a nice chainsaw.

- The new move with the shotgun will be to roadie run & roll... like Gears 1. You can melee after a roll like before. Rather than roadie running you'll have to either roll forward, to the side, or backwards, and have a shotgun battle or try to be the first to melee.

- The ranking system is awesome and refreshing. Everyone is back on the same playing field. There's no precious rank to protect. If you quit you lose lots of points.

- Bots are hit and miss. They're pretty stupid but in the games I've played they usually get one kill. Better than an empty spot...

- Host advantage is still there big time.

- Edit: RE: smokes. I'm not sure if the radius has been changed or not. It's still hit and miss whether or not you'll be knocked down by a smoke. For example, on Avalanche a guy threw a smoke down to the middle nades. I was standing on the stairs and was knocked down. Other times I can jump away from a smoke.

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
Ok, some random observations:
- The chainsaw is now MORE powerful. Why? Well, *the* move used to be roadie->2 piece->shoot. Not anymore. After roadie running you stand up. This gives the chainsaw guy a nice window to cut you in half. As the regular guys know, I use this move all the time (hiding behind walls, corners, waiting for the run). Now it's even more effective because you have an extra second there where they cannot melee you with their shotgun. This opens up the window for a nice chainsaw. true, but pretty soon people will just stop running right at enemies, and only use the roadie run to move around the map. If someone is running right at an armed enemy with his weapon down then he deserves to get killed.

- The new move with the shotgun will be to roadie run & roll... like Gears 1. You can melee after a roll like before. Rather than roadie running you'll have to either roll forward, to the side, or backwards, and have a shotgun battle or try to be the first to melee. this is harder to do than the roadie run->2 piece, but should be a reasonably effective alternative. I doubt it will be the go to strategy though.

Aladuf

Banned
So, after playing for a couple hours with a few of the guys, I can't believe how good it felt to play. The excessive two-piecing is no more, it was quite fun to see some jerkoff rushing me with his shotty and then as he approached, he would just *stop* and then there was every chance in the world to body them with the shotty or saw their ass.

Smokes act like they should have from the start, you get knocked down and then you hop right back up. I had no people tossing the smokes and then just standing over my glitching body waiting for me with their saw out for the insta-kill. Speaking of the chainsaw too, you can finally have a consistent shot and making a motherfucker get dead as they rush you with the saw revving. I had a few times where I got the shotgun-body on the zombie-like people that walk towards you while revving. <3

There's probably some more that I could be forgetting right now, but that was some good Gears'n so far. Anybody who still calls this game a broken mess now is just flat out wrong.

Acidote

Nice title update. I played one public match right now, everyone in my team was level 1, on the other team they were between level 9 and 18. Nice matchmaking.

RSTEIN

Acidote said:
Nice title update. I played one public match right now, everyone in my team was level 1, on the other team they were between level 9 and 18. Nice matchmaking.

The number ranks aren't used for matchmaking. TruSkill is still driving the matchmaking process.

Acidote

TruSkill? It was my first game, I've had no skill recorded yet! And most of the other team members were over level 12! Of course they should have better gaming records of them.

h3ro

Acidote said:

Level doesn't have anything to do with skill, TruSkill does the matchmaking. Level is just based on accumulated points in matches...

REV 09

Acidote said:
ehh...those levels don't represent their skill. The matchmaking is based on trueskill which happens behind the scenes. The old chevron rank symbols used to represent their trueskill rank. The numbers are just xp ranks...they really only represent play time, more specifically, play time since this morning's update.

Aladuf

Banned
Acidote said:
TruSkill? It was my first game, I've had no skill recorded yet! And most of the other team members were over level 12! Of course they should have better gaming records of them.
Have you played Gears 2 before today? If so, then all of your past TruSkill ranking is being used for matchmaking now. It's not all refreshed and restarted today with this update.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Have you played Gears 2 before today? If so, then all of your past TruSkill ranking is being used for matchmaking now. It's not all refreshed and restarted today with this update.

Before the update: Third's rank > my rank. Therefore, Third is better.
After the update: Third's rank < my rank. Therefore, I am better.

Aladuf

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
Holy shit you're right! Could this be new single player content?
But the symbols for what must be "maps" after Snowblind matches up with the symbols next to Dark Corners. Methinks we're about to get another load of maps. Like I said in the thread about that image, assuming it's maps, then Gears 2 is going to have probably about 25-26 MP maps after Snowblind maps release and Dark Corners comes out... which is a crazy number.

LowParry

So strange not to be able to run up and melee someone. But this is good! Shotgun feels awesome again. One shot kills. And the sniper is fucking insane now. Headshot headshot. :lol

mernst23

Anyone know when the snowblind maps are going to hit? I gotta figure soon considering they released achievements for them right?

/Yes, I bought the combustable maps and barely play them
//Yes I will buy the snowblind maps
///I haven't played gears in 2 months, but probably will tonight.

CcrooK said:
So strange not to be able to run up and melee someone. But this is good! Shotgun feels awesome again. One shot kills. And the sniper is fucking insane now. Headshot headshot. :lol

Headshots were hard to get but still easily gettable before, it's even easier now?!!?! Sold!

Aladuf

Banned
mernst23 said:
Anyone know when the snowblind maps are going to hit? I gotta figure soon considering they released achievements for them right?

Headshots were hard to get but still easily gettable before, it's even easier now?!!?! Sold!
Maps are out next Tuesday. The headshot fix isn't to make them easier, it's to improve detection since a lot of times you could hit the headshot but you don't pop the head due to the detection being borked.

Zezboob

REV 09 said:
that happens sometimes...it's not related to TU3, and yeah, it kind of sucks.

Edit: from a producer on the game
"Since many people have asked about the region preferences, I'll explain how it works. It sorts matches by country with your country as being the best choice. If there are matches in your country that have space for you, you will join them before a match from a different country. If no matches are available in your country and there are matches available with a ping of less than 200, then you will join that match.

You do not pick the country. It automatically detects your country. "
http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26186736&postcount=2
200 ?? WOW that's too much in a game like Gears.

I would prefer an option (having the option is always the best) to strictly having game with good connexion. I prefer not playing than playing with lag.

I hope that's something that they can change server side.

Tomcat said:
Execution - Warzone
Annex - KotH
Guardian - Submission
Horde
Wingman
Flashback Players Choice
Combustible Maps
Fuck. I like how it's just Execution/Warzone now, but I was really hoping for a DLC Elimination playlist. I hope Epic is smart enough to implement one next week.

duf, which is Dark Corners more likely to be?

1) Marcus and Dom hunting for the source of the emulsion and the Queen in the deepest, most dangerous caves on Sera

2) some new maps, all even darker than Ruins, with plenty of hidden out of the way spots to camp in and lots of cracks and crevices that are perfect for hiding frags

i know that's your playstyle and all, but...

REV 09

warbegins said:

1) Marcus and Dom hunting for the source of the emulsion and the Queen in the deepest, most dangerous caves on Sera

2) some new maps, all even darker than Ruins, with plenty of hidden out of the way spots to camp in and lots of cracks and crevices that are perfect for hiding frags

i want dark rainy maps...sp dlc would be nice, but i doubt that will happen. The outside spawn in Statis looks fuck awesome with the rain. The old mansion was probably the best looking mp map in either game.

Aladuf

Banned
warbegins said:

I think it's got to be some new, darker maps. It's what I've been wanting in Gears 2 for a while since the darker more rainy maps look so damn good. Part of the reason why I'm so excited for the Snowblind maps is because of the couple of shots we saw of them, they seem to be darker.

Hopefully we find out soon what's going on with Dark Corners.

i think a campaign add-on is guaranteed to happen, actually. not only was the ending a bunch of anticlimactic on-rails filler with a non-boss fight to cap it all off, but Epic has been discussing this exact type of content, in vague terms, for a while now.

i'm with you on the Stasis thing though. outdoor maps in the rain or at night would be sweet.

Aladuf

Banned
warbegins said:
i think a campaign add-on is guaranteed to happen, actually. not only was the ending a bunch of anticlimactic on-rails filler with a non-boss fight to cap it all off, but Epic has been discussing this exact type of content, in vague terms, for a while now.

i'm with you on the Stasis thing though. outdoor maps in the rain or at night would be sweet.
Honestly, I think we'll see both maps and campaign DLC at some point. You've gotta figure that Gears 3 will be out in Fall 2010 at the soonest and they're gonna keep players interested with some DLC for Gears 2 in the meantime. It doesn't sound unreasonable to think that this winter we could see a few hours of campaign DLC.

Zezboob

WTF ? Fuck the new playlist.

Before my only opportunity to play Warzone was to the choice between Warzone/Guardian.

Fuck Execution. Epic always finds a way to dissapoint.

zewone

I haven't put much time into Gears 2 since TU1 (since it was so broken) but so far I have no complaints about TU3.

I just hope it's not a case of "too little, too late".

Aladuf said:
Honestly, I think we'll see both maps and campaign DLC at some point. You've gotta figure that Gears 3 will be out in Fall 2010 at the soonest and they're gonna keep players interested with some DLC for Gears 2 in the meantime. It doesn't sound unreasonable to think that this winter we could see a few hours of campaign DLC.
you know, revealing the next map pack right as the Snowblind one is being released isn't horrible business sense or anything. the promise of new maps in the future may even keep people interested and convince them to buy the current map packs. still, "Dark Corners" are the last thing i want to see emphasized on any new maps. i keep picturing Ruins 2: Alcove-Filled Maze of Blackness and Grenade Plants.

Top Bottom