• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
warbegins said:
you know, revealing the next map pack right as the Snowblind one is being released isn't horrible business sense or anything. the promise of new maps in the future may even keep people interested and convince them to buy the current map packs. still, "Dark Corners" are the last thing i want to see emphasized on any new maps. i keep picturing Ruins 2: Alcove-Filled Maze of Blackness and Grenade Plants.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but we do have an overabundance of happy time maps now. Ruins is the only map to really feature Locust architecture. A map in the caves with the Locust palace in the background would be sweet, or even one set in the level with the water (before you get on the boat) would be awesome. The multiplayer maps don't really convey the sense of doom and gloom that the campaign did.

REV 09

warbegins said:
you know, revealing the next map pack right as the Snowblind one is being released isn't horrible business sense or anything. the promise of new maps in the future may even keep people interested and convince them to buy the current map packs. still, "Dark Corners" are the last thing i want to see emphasized on any new maps. i keep picturing Ruins 2: Alcove-Filled Maze of Blackness and Grenade Plants.
ruins is my favorite map in gears 2 :lol

Arnie

Cliff rang, he said it is a Bullet Marsh remake and War Machine at night. Also they are adding dedicated servers and a search game option for people who don't want to deal with the arbitraryness of matchmaking. Also the character speed will go back to that of Gears 1, whilst smoke grenades will no longer stun. Finally the pack removes all grenade tagging and mortars, as there is no point in stop and pop if you can be popped when you've stopped.

okay, so i like high visibility and long lines of sight so that i can torque people without discretion. there, i said it.

good points though RJ. there is a lot of similarity amongst the maps we have now.

Aladuf

Banned
warbegins said:
okay, so i like high visibility and long lines of sight so that i can torque people without discretion. there, i said it.
Torque Bow is a close range weapon
for me
, noob.

Zezboob

I DON'T WANT TO PLAY AGAINST AMERICANS, IS THIS THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND EPIC ??

FUCK YOU BAND OF INCOMPETENTS.

Region filter works shit.

You can shove your next DLC in your ass.

Shins said:
Stop doing that. That's mine. Never rub another man's rhubarb.
30jnsox.jpg

JB1981

Was reminded very quickly after my first solo game why I don't play this game by myself anymore. Ugh

Aladuf: what do you find so amazing about the update. I didn't really notice much as far as balance/control/tweaks etc.

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
You probably just had a laggy match, brah. They didn't update it to make the netcode worse.
I know, but they changed the lag so that it is like Gears 1 (more randomness, the gameplay feels "skippy" instead of the general "laggy" feeling now, delay of actions).

Aladuf

Banned
Flunkie said:
I know, but they changed the lag so that it is like Gears 1 (more randomness, the gameplay feels "skippy" instead of the general "laggy" feeling now, delay of actions).
You mean when the character is moving around? It's always been like that in Gears 2, where it doesn't look totally smooth when there's a bit of lag.

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
You mean when the character is moving around? It's always been like that in Gears 2, where it doesn't look totally smooth when there's a bit of lag.
It just feels different dude, I'm telling you. It's different.

Yeah, so I was just playing with my friends earlier. One of the friends had jumped in for about an hour for the first time since TU3 so I can vouch for him.

After the third game, we won an Annex @ Day One. When it was done, the game told him he had lost 1500 points and had been deranked to level 1.

What the fuck is that about? He didn't quit any of the three games at all.

Anyone else got that problem?

i had some of that bad lag too, playing with Flunkie and RJ. it was definitely choppy as hell. while it could just be caused by new patch hiccups, i was thinking that they may have changed all animations so that they can be interrupted, not just the smoke recovery one.

so, with this theoretical new system, say you throw a melee in a laggy game. the animation starts on your end, and some milliseconds later, the host gets notification of your melee and a timestamp of when you threw it. your melee animation then skips ahead so that your melee lands as if you had thrown it according to the timestamp, not when the host first received notification you used it. the same thing would probably apply to rolling, running, and shooting (ie bullets would "speed up" and reduce the need to lead your target when lagging).

is this all wild conjecture based on a couple hours of play? why yes it is.

Zezboob

warbegins said:
i had some of that bad lag too, playing with Flunkie and RJ. it was definitely choppy as hell. while it could just be caused by new patch hiccups, i was thinking that they may have changed all animations so that they can be interrupted, not just the smoke recovery one.

It's just lag.

200 ms of latency... LOL Epic.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
lol, I think people are expecting too much. There's nothing in this update that would all of a sudden change the netcode to make it one big happy lag free frag fest. PXG and anyone who says that "Gears 2 is now playable!" is just wrong. It's been playable for a long time now. Nothing fundamental to the engine or netcode is changed with TU3.

A lot of the complaints are addressed - ranking system, smokes, and roadie run melees. The game has been changed for the better, I think everyone can unanimously agree on that. But you're still going to get lag, host advantage, and play against people not in your country. The shotty is still inconsistent as hell. The sad reality is that only a complete overhaul of the game would address these things... have to wait for Gears 3.

Zezboob

RSTEIN said:
lol, I think people are expecting too much.
So expecting to play with people with less than 100ms of latency is too much ? :lol :lol

Seriously, in Gears 1, what was the equivalent of the 3 green bars ? 200 ms ?

Stop the joke.

I don't even know how joeGraf could write it on the forum without noticing how stupid it is. In his place I would be ashamed and I would prefer to say nothing about it. I mean... it's so ridiculous. And Epic is searching for the cause of all the problems ? Haha, they should start by lowering to maximal latency authorized on matchmaking.

On regular FPS I don't even bother with servers with more than 100ms so on a game like Gears...

I stopped playing because of the lag, because I could not support anymore of this lagfest shitty matches. I hoped that with the region filter it would be good games or nothing. Basically, it didn't change a lot IMO.

RSTEIN said:
The sad reality is that only a complete overhaul of the game would address these things... have to wait for Gears 3.
Mmmmmh, reminds me Gears 1, not sure why.

At least now I know that Gears 3 will only be a rental.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I actually had a few lag free matches, everyone was getting 1-hit shotty kills left and right. I was tearing it up. Besides that, I like the fixes made to the stun grenades. For some reason the game feels alot smoother, it's weird. It feels different. I also do not like how you can't melee or shoot after roadie running. It's like an eternity before you can do anything after roadie running. I know that you can roll but I can't make my in-game reflexes adjust. Oh well. A++ patch, would play again!

cresto

RSTEIN said:
lol, I think people are expecting too much. There's nothing in this update that would all of a sudden change the netcode to make it one big happy lag free frag fest. PXG and anyone who says that "Gears 2 is now playable!" is just wrong. It's been playable for a long time now. Nothing fundamental to the engine or netcode is changed with TU3.

A lot of the complaints are addressed - ranking system, smokes, and roadie run melees. The game has been changed for the better, I think everyone can unanimously agree on that. But you're still going to get lag, host advantage, and play against people not in your country. The shotty is still inconsistent as hell. The sad reality is that only a complete overhaul of the game would address these things... have to wait for Gears 3.
I completely agree. The shotgun is one of the most frustrating weapons in an MP now, or always has been. I feel like there is a decent amount of delay in the shot and then even if you iron site the stupid thing still is inconsistent. Earlier today it was pissing me off.

I want a decent MP game that isnt a twitchy FPS on the 360 damn it! Is that really that much to ask for?

Shins

Banned
The reduction on the stun time for smoke grenades strikes a good balance between an effective tactic and annoyance that can quickly become infuriating. When spammed, I still curse getting repeatedly knocked down. If the mechanic is going to be in the game, the timing is as good as its going to be.

I haven't noticed any real change in matchmaking. Lag in matches is still hit-or-miss. Tonight was a relatively good night for me, but two nights ago was as well. I would prefer some ability to affect the specifics of the region filter. I don't mind waiting an extra two minutes for a match if it can guarantee that I'm playing people that really are in my region.

I've given up on working the shotgun into any regular strategy. Even when hosting, I find its lack of consistency too hampering to bother with. Part of that is me being unable or unwilling to unlearn two years of Gears of War 1 as far as my habits and practices go. When I watch some people pull off some fantastic things with their own shotguns, I wonder what it is that's not clicking for me. However, I can still do well enough with the Lancer/Hammerburst and pistol to cope. I'm terrible with the Torque Bow and Sniper Rifle since I play with people who tend to snap them up first. I've always done better with the standard weapons anyway.

Being able to quickly jump up over cover again is a godsend. Makes movement much more fluid. I actually want to play Tyro Station now that I can easily get off the tracks without bouncing off cover like a maniac.

Disappointed by the omission of the map cycling (just another strike against private matches), the lack of any real rebalancing for certain maps, and while I'm glad they've rejiggered the playlists, DLC playlists still being a melting pot of every game mode needs to be addressed. I don't like objective games in Gears of War. I like the new maps. Don't make me suffer through bad game types on maps that weren't designed for them (Flood).

The rest of the problems have been stated and restated. It was a fun, flawed game yesterday. It remains a fun, flawed game today.

Mohonky

It's good to see some people are enjoying themselves while others still can't get a decent room. I love the way this game plays but I just can't fathom why I should have to hold my breathe everytime a game starts to see whether it's going to lag. The reality is 1 in 20 games might be ok, without exaggeration. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Aladuf

Banned
You guys are a bunch of fucking Peggle Nazi's. Four of you sent messages right after I bought that game and started playing. Haters.

Seriously...:lol :lol

h3ro

Aladuf said:
You guys are a bunch of fucking Peggle Nazi's. Four of you sent messages right after I bought that game and started playing. Haters.

Seriously...:lol :lol

I signed on for a second to d/l some Mass Effect videos and saw you were playing Peggle. I laughed and then wrote about it in my diary.

Flunkie

Banned
warbegins said:
yeah, that guy who joined our party is kind of a loud prick. :lol can't say i've played with him many times. typical Live user i guess.
"Yeah, now put your fuckin' chainsaws away."

Aladuf

Banned
warbegins said:
hey, my message was one of joy and excitement.
no no, I didn't count you in the group of haters. I guess I should clarify, 4 haters and 1 non-hater. Buncha fuckin crazies is what you guys are. :lol

RJ got them all riled up and on board the Peggle hate train. blame him and his inability to enjoy (or be good at) anything that doesn't have a chainsaw attached to it.

Flunkie

Banned
warbegins said:
RJ got them all riled up and on board the Peggle hate train. blame him and his inability to enjoy (or be good at) anything that doesn't have a chainsaw attached to it.
Well Aladuf does love balls.

I'm waiting for Third to buy it, too.

Top Bottom