• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

smik

wtf is all this shit...

seriously this thread is the worst thread on Gaf, its the same couple of guys bumping the thread over and over and over again...seriously you guys need to take this shit to the lounge or through private message, every bump is the same repeatitive crap from these guys with no new interesting info or what tv shows there watching...

this thread is dead and has derailed off track and really its happened since people got there hands on the multiplayer, imo (coming from 2 years of Gears 1) Gears 2 is the worst MP experience i have ever encountered from a sequel but enough about that, TU3 did nothing for me and has actually spurred on new problems for me im glad it may work for "some"

and yes Aladuf no one cares what you have to say you are only a thread starter so dont worry about it.

draven

Flunkie said:
2w7g5di.gif

Damnit I wanna know what happened. Did Flunkie log on and find that they already have 5 people? Did he actually play with the NeoGAF Allstars® in a long, uncomfortable silence? Was there rage quitting involved? I need to know!

smik said:
wtf is all this shit...

seriously this thread is the worst thread on Gaf, its the same couple of guys bumping the thread over and over and over again...seriously you guys need to take this shit to the lounge or through private message, every bump is the same repeatitive crap from these guys with no new interesting info or what tv shows there watching...

this thread is dead and has derailed off track and really its happened since people got there hands on the multiplayer, imo (coming from 2 years of Gears 1) Gears 2 is the worst MP experience i have ever encountered from a sequel but enough about that, TU3 did nothing for me and has actually spurred on new problems for me im glad it may work for "some"

and yes Aladuf no one cares what you have to say you are only a thread starter so dont worry about it.

Wait....who are you again? Get off my soap opera!

Aladuf

Banned
Here's some images of Grind Yard and Courtyard from Gamespot. Tomcat posted those videos in here yesterday but I at least never saw these. The ones of Grind Yard especially look good.

938611_20090324_790screen001.jpg

938611_20090324_790screen002.jpg

938611_20090324_790screen006.jpg

938611_20090324_790screen003.jpg

938611_20090324_790screen005.jpg

Few more (and slightly larger versions of these) at the link: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/gearsofwar2/images/6206688/1/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;1

edit: Just found this on Gametrailers too, it's a brief walkthrough of all the maps. It seems like it may not be complete or something since Fuel Depot is the last of the four shown and it gets about 8 seconds in and the audio cuts out and then a couple of seconds later the video abruptly stops. Either way, good vid.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47197.html

-PXG-

I am LOVING Gears 2 now. My God, this game is amazing. I can't put it down. This is how it should have been on November 7th

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Does anyone know how the map pack works in MM? Is the only way for me to play the CMP in MM in the CMP Playlist? I want to be able to play Public Horde and get the C maps. Possible?

Aladuf

Banned
Domino Theory said:
Does anyone know how the map pack works in MM? Is the only way for me to play the CMP in MM in the CMP Playlist? I want to be able to play Public Horde and get the C maps. Possible?
The Combustible maps will show up in normal matchmaking if everyone has them. I'd assume the same for Horde since there's no reason for it to be otherwise.

Orlics

smik said:
wtf is all this shit...

you mad

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Aladuf said:
The Combustible maps will show up in normal matchmaking if everyone has them. I'd assume the same for Horde since there's no reason for it to be otherwise.

Cool beans.

I'm starting to like Gears 2 bit by bit post-TU3 (Reached lvl 8). There's still a vaccum with the chainsaw, the mortar is just something I hate in general because it destroys the fundamentals of what Gears of War is and I'm still getting standby'd/lag switched.

Aside from that, the game feels a lot better and I'm not as bummed anymore when I lose because I know I'm still rewarded for doing my part in the fight. :p

I don't get the mortar hate, I've ever had the mortar ruin a game for me. The only thing that REALLY annoys me now is the amount of chainsawing since the update. People are relying on it way more since the two piece has been made less effective.

I haven't been lag switched a single time since the update...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Two-piecing is less effective? lolwat

I'm always using it, it's still effective in every sense of the word.

As long as melees do the immense amount of damage that they do, two-piecing will always be strong. Always.

-PXG-

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I don't get the mortar hate, I've ever had the mortar ruin a game for me. The only thing that REALLY annoys me now is the amount of chainsawing since the update. People are relying on it way more since the two piece has been made less effective.

I haven't been lag switched a single time since the update...

I've encountered less chainsawing. I guess I'm lucky. :lol

Well, ALOT of players bread & butter was rushing in for the 2 piece, and since you can't melee out of the roadie run anymore they have to actually be able to dodge or be more tactical in their 2-piecing. All of of would be 2-piecers are getting owned now and seem to be resorting to the chainsaw more and more to get some easy kills.

REV 09

I actually think that the hit detection is causing players to lower their chainsaws much more consistently now...which leads to less chainsaw whoring. Other than the host advantage and some small glitches here and there, the game feels pretty balanced to me post TU3.

They still need to address smoke grenades. Whenever someone is using the Kantus or Skorge player model in multiplayer, the smoke grenades send them flying all over the place. In some instances, they can be flown through the bridges on River and Canals.

I've seen a few instances of dropped weapons having double the ammo they had when they were dropped. Last night, a teammate dropped a boomshot with two shots in it. When I picked it up, there were four shots in it.

There's also an issue of the mortar going rogue and causing a suicide on the second active reload shot despite having clearly charged it. That shit is ANNOYING.

Also, it seems the glitch that was fixed in TU2 where you could blow yourself through the lasers with a smoke grenade blast has been unfixed and is back in TU3.

The worst, though, was last night. I was rolling into the grenade hallways on Pavillion. All of a sudden, my character model started glitching out and I was unable to do anything but roll. There was no lag at all. I had to wait until I got killed. Total garbage. I turned the game off for a few minutes after that and wanted to go break expensive things.

So yeah, TU3 did fix a lot of stuff and it is a lot more playable now, but there are now some new glitches that are just as annoying.

Shins

Banned
I'll be on tonight, but only with the consent of The Godfather.

smik said:
wtf is all this shit...

hey check this shit out:

torre3.png

^^^ This is a picture of a dog wearing sunglasses. It is in no way related to Gears of War 2. I bet you'd like to do something about this, but you can't!

kuYuri

smik said:
wtf is all this shit...

I hope you don't go to the Halo 3 thread. It just might kill you.

What's with people and whining about this thread?

"Oh nozz!!11 A thread on the internet has gone slightly off-topic!! The world is ending!"

Anyways, has the lag decreased today?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
NubCakes09 said:
What's with people and whining about this thread?

"Oh nozz!!11 A thread on the internet has gone slightly off-topic!! The world is ending!"

Anyways, has the lag decreased today?

The lag is incredible now. I'm very, very impressed.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Zezboob said:
The big difference between you and me it's that I am not always coming complaining about guys who are having fun on Gears 2 or trying to say that people are wrong to enjoy the game.
The difference between critics and praises, it's critics leads to improvements. And you probably would not get the TU3 you like that much without all those "whiny little bitch".
And guess who is wasting more time in his life, the one who keeps praising forever a game instead of playing it or the guy who bitch about it because he can't play it ?
You said back then that people should stop complaining about it and just giving Epic some time... man, it's been 5 months since the game has been released !! THAT'S FIVE MOTHERFUCKERS !

But I already explained it to you, you're just hopeless.

And stop crying about my "classy" comment, I wouldn't said that if you were not always on my back. Talking about having a life eh, just play Gears2 since you're lucky.

Always complaining? Nah.

How can that be when I only praising Gears 2 for being sooooo perfect? You guys gotta make up your minds of what you're accusing me of, or else the illusion of belief is gone...

And to answer your question, I don't just praise & not play, in fact, I just picked up this little puppy:

1oCLiGJhbC9NCBt0GltTWTJEL2FjaC8wLzI5AAAAAOfn5-kFmQo=.jpg

...a few matches ago, so no, I play a hell of a lot of Gears 2 with friends...

And I don't cry about forum comments, no worries - the day I let one do that is the day I quit forums! :lol

Zezboob

I didn't play tonight, but one of my friend said it was pretty good till the last tier or the evening, but it's probably due that there was less europeans playing.
I need to try again tomorrow, I hope Epic made some changes and not some fluke.

REV 09 said:
I actually think that the hit detection is causing players to lower their chainsaws much more consistently now...
I noticed it now. Not perfect, but definitely better.

AnEternalEnigma said:
They still need to address smoke grenades. Whenever someone is using the Kantus or Skorge player model in multiplayer, the smoke grenades send them flying all over the place. In some instances, they can be flown through the bridges on River and Canals.

I've seen a few instances of dropped weapons having double the ammo they had when they were dropped. Last night, a teammate dropped a boomshot with two shots in it. When I picked it up, there were four shots in it.

There's also an issue of the mortar going rogue and causing a suicide on the second active reload shot despite having clearly charged it. That shit is ANNOYING.

Also, it seems the glitch that was fixed in TU2 where you could blow yourself through the lasers with a smoke grenade blast has been unfixed and is back in TU3.

The worst, though, was last night. I was rolling into the grenade hallways on Pavillion. All of a sudden, my character model started glitching out and I was unable to do anything but roll. There was no lag at all. I had to wait until I got killed. Total garbage. I turned the game off for a few minutes after that and wanted to go break expensive things.

So yeah, TU3 did fix a lot of stuff and it is a lot more playable now, but there are now some new glitches that are just as annoying.
Ooh shit. :lol

Skilotonn said:
Always complaining? Nah.

How can that be when I only praising Gears 2 for being sooooo perfect? You guys gotta make up your minds of what you're accusing me of, or else the illusion of belief is gone...
You didn't get the meaning, but I am not surprised about it.

Whatever.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I will be on at 10:00pm EST.

I will join the Third/Aladuf party.
If the party is full I will leave.
I will then join other GAF people or start my own party.
That is all.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Strider2K99 said:
I hope you don't go to the Halo 3 thread. It just might kill you.

Them fightin' words?

Edit: Anyone have glitches with the new ranking system? I played a match with some buddies where I ended up with 40 kills and a score of 8,900+, but when the match ended, it said "Experience Earned: (0)". I didn't get ANYTHING for the match. :(

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Saw my sister play some matches. It's like a whole different game :lol

Barely any quitters, nice EXP progression, definitely less lag.

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Just read that Fuel Depot now goes back and forth between hammer & mortar...figured I'd post it since some people were wondering.

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/966/966740p1.html
Shouldn't be too much of a nuisance. I'd bet that most people won't be able to even get the thing outside to shoot it off, but I guess it could be deadly if shot off inside (ala Pavilion spawns).

Gotta love how they're saying that the game has 20 minute long matchmaking times. Any long times for matchmaking were fixed about 2 weeks after launch or so... but that's ok IGN.

KevinRo

Ramirez said:
The Mortar is garbage, wish they would remove it from every map. =\ Lower the amount of shots in it or something.

I have yet to no-scope with that. The day I do I'll record it and take a nice hot bath.

So my Xbox is currently being repaired by Microsoft, but I'm just curious if this patch is actually doing good for the Australians/people that don't live in America? Are you getting put into matches with local players?

Mohonky

DubloSeven said:
So my Xbox is currently being repaired by Microsoft, but I'm just curious if this patch is actually doing good for the Australians/people that don't live in America? Are you getting put into matches with local players?

Nope.

Mohonky

Actually being that it IS Friday night here in Aus I will play a few games now as this is the single best time to see if there is any improvement.

However as the video I posted earlier suggests, I'm not exactly going to hold my breathe or I might just drop dead like my Theron did......

Mohonky

Match 1: Lag - American Host, but 1 guy from Britain on my Team (I'm Australian)
Match 2: Success!!! Kind of. 2nd game of god knows how many that seems to have hooked me up with an Aussie connection. Unfortunately also features players from Spain and Korea. They cop the lag instead.
Match 3: Lag. Players from US, France and Japan.

So does region preference work? Fuck no.

JoeGraf or whatever over at Epic forums state before Title Update 2 that MatchMaking automatically searches for local players so there was no need for a region filter. Then in the list of updates for Title Update 3 claims 'we are adding a region preference but not a filter others some people will never get a game.'

So it would seem either they are lying about the matchmaking having a local search to begin with, or bullshitting about adding one as he said from the get go, apparently matchmaking automatically searches for local matches anyway.

At this point it doesn't matter. It doesn't take a genius to work out the Local Preference from TU3 does fucking nothing, and under 200ms my fucking ass.

DubloSeven said:
I live in Sweden and I've definitely gotten more matches against other Europeans lately. Especially against people from the UK.

Tomcat

Mohonky said:
Match 1: Lag - American Host, but 1 guy from Britain on my Team (I'm Australian)
Match 2: Success!!! Kind of. 2nd game of god knows how many that seems to have hooked me up with an Aussie connection. Unfortunately also features players from Spain and Korea. They cop the lag instead.
Match 3: Lag. Players from US, France and Japan.

So does region preference work? Fuck no.

JoeGraf or whatever over at Epic forums state before Title Update 2 that MatchMaking automatically searches for local players so there was no need for a region filter. Then in the list of updates for Title Update 3 claims 'we are adding a region preference but not a filter others some people will never get a game.'

So it would seem either they are lying about the matchmaking having a local search to begin with, or bullshitting about adding one as he said from the get go, apparently matchmaking automatically searches for local matches anyway.

At this point it doesn't matter. It doesn't take a genius to work out the Local Preference from TU3 does fucking nothing, and under 200ms my fucking ass.

yes the region filter is not working as it should. I want to play with only european players. How difficult is this?
Instead i am almost always getting in some american lobby. And 200ms is too high make it at least 150

My suggestion is get rid of trueskill this is the biggest problem of gears 2. I prefer to lose from a better player than play with some "equal" skill player and due to lag cant do nothing in the entire duration of the game.

Animal

Banned
Well I've played several matches of execution since TU3 hit. the pace of the game has changed dramatically. Everything revolves around power weapons and grouping. It's all about gun fights now gentlemen. No more zerg-rush melee tactics.

This has produced some of the most memorable gun fights I have had in any game to date. The only complaint is that it can take a while to finally get matched up with other people. I live in NA and have a very high speed internet connection.

shpankey

not an idiot
smik said:
wtf is all this shit...

:lol

I've heard of "rage quitting" but this "rage don't post in this thread b/c I hate it" is all new to me. Oh, and I read your excuse about no new info. If that were a law at forums, you really wouldn't even have the need for forums.

REV 09

Total Experience Required

:lol :lol :lol ...not happening.

Edit: just saw this.
"Note: The experience shown on this site is based on a possibly inaccurate formula (as of 26th March)"

:D Hope. Runs. Deep.

Top Bottom