• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

DoomGyver

Shins said:
too bad you're wrong, asshole.

That's not the issue. There's no actual fog effects. Instead, its just a solid washed out filter over the screen, and it is the same whether you're inside or out. I understand what they were going for, and even why they probably couldn't have real fog effects in a multiplayer match (there's enough lag as it is), but this was a bad compromise.
Just because Epic decided to use a cheap, easy, cookiecutter way of creating "fog" doesn't mean I'm an asshole.

Shins

Banned
And now that I've said I understand the bit about no fog effects on Hail, I take that back, because Gridlock is full of a similar haze, except its actual haze, with moving particles.

Guh.

DoomGyver

sybcix.png

Zezboob said:
Hey, I never paid attention to the english meaning of my pseudonym.

Holy fuck.

I like it even more.

Time to watch some Lost.

No, it just means Zezboob. It sounds retarded, that's why I called you "boobs" instead.

DoomGyver

AnEternalEnigma said:
I'm still dumbfounded at the lack of War Machine.
I think it's more like this..
MS: Everyone loves War Machine and Fuel depot right?

EPIC: .. yes

MS: then they'll pay $10 for 1 particular map they know is good and 3 filler maps that could very well be average.

EPIC: but, that's not treating the consumer right!

MS: Yes it is!

EPIC: okay.. since you say so..

MS: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They'll distribute the maps they know will sell throughout the map packs they plan on providing as DLC so people are more prone to purchase them.

I don't like the idea, but it's smart from a biz point of view.

I'd wager good money on the fact that War Machine will be 'THE' map to get in the next DLC

Aladuf

Banned
That Mortar glitch sucks ass, btw. RSTEIN and I were doing a quick match of Wingman last night on Avalanche and we got a spawn near Mortar, so I go pick it up and shoot one off no problem and it kills a guy. Then I go to shoot the next one and it just blindfires out and bounces off the wall and comes right back in my face and kills me, then RJ picks it up and moves a little bit from my spot I believe, and goes to shoot it and it ends up doing the exact same thing to him and he dies. Since Wingman has the new rule of suicide=point deducted, we lost 2 points and the lead of the match... of course I guess none of the points mattered since the host just quit out a couple of rounds later.

I guess it's time to avoid the Mortar unless I'm in a very open area.

Shins

Banned
I haven't experienced that glitch, and I always try to shoot off at least three or four rounds of the Mortar once I have it.

Shins

Banned
If you throw your smokes at the beginning of the round, it'll spin if you're host. Forget the less annoying, easier ways of telling if you're host before a match even starts. Throw the smokes. Every round.
h3ro said:
I don't recognize you anymore... Good grief.
I can't make the background transparent on this one without destroying the ink outline, so I agree. Back we go.

Shins

Banned
I think those reasons have been clearly stated.

-There is a lack of agreement on what settings are okay for custom matches (some like swapped weapons, some don't, some want different bleed-out times, some don't). With ranked games, these settings are out of our hands. There is no room to argue.

-Playing against the same people all night is annoying. One of the nicest things about matchmaking that I've warmed up to is both the variety of the opponents, and the variety to the game types and maps. Piss and moan about certain maps or modes, but it shakes things up. Playing the same top-tier maps on the same mode, with the same people using the same tactics gets old fast.

-A problem that grows out of the above is the need to adjust teams every other match as a means of changing things up. The problem is, I like the team I play with in ranked games. I know how they play. They know how I play. During matchmaking, we're able to stay in party chat and just enjoy ourselves as we play (barring the rare exception where someone wants to do some trashtalking). Where the consistency of opponents is annoying given how matches will play out similarly, a consistent team feels good. Likewise, changing up a team to awkwardly sit in silence with three or four people who I have nothing to say to, and know nothing about isn't fun for me. I want to change who I'm going against, not who has got my back.

-Some of you don't have either the Flashback or Combustible maps, cutting the map variety down considerably. Its cool that you're taking a stand against Epic or Microsoft or whoever on DLC principles, but I did buy the maps, and I want to play them. The higher player count of the custom matches often guarantees that at least one person is holding out.

What puzzles me is that there are enough people voicing an interest in custom matches to fill at least one lobby up without the five people not interested in custom matches.

-PXG-

NubCakes09 said:
No, they just hate private matches for some reason.

Gears 1, they didn't give a shit :/ I want to host Private matches next weekend so that more people can join and get a chance to play on a GOOD (Aladuf and others can attest) connection.

Shins

Banned
It would be neat if the playlists and modes were more dynamic. If every so often, you popped up a match were every weapon spawn was now Boltok, or friendly fire was turned on for this match, no, it wouldn't be balanced, but it might just be a fun distraction. Might also be useful to have some playlists that changed up the weapon layouts, removed certain power weapons, or other changes.

The problem with the variant matches is the same as the problem I had with Halo though; balancing it out so you really do only experience those "special" matches every so often can be difficult.

KevinRo

hay guys, I don't play much GoW2 but since the TU it I wanted to try it out recently. I got to a level4 in like 3-4 games but got frustrated with the teamates that don't talk or are extremely retarded/stupid.

Anyways, I wanted to know if there was like a GoWGAF list that I can join up or any specific people that play it alot that I can add.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Aladuf said:
Then I go to shoot the next one and it just blindfires out and bounces off the wall and comes right back in my face and kills me, then RJ picks it up and moves a little bit from my spot I believe, and goes to shoot it and it ends up doing the exact same thing to him and he dies.

Yeah, that sucked. I've killed myself on River a couple times, too. These are the glitches to be addressed in the next TU:

1) Players spawning without weapons.
I can't believe they didn't fix this with TU3. I played a game on Jacinto earlier today and 3 of my teammates spawned without weapons. Next round a couple on the other team didn't have weapons. This happens to Third a lot. Fix this shit ASAP.

2) Mortar glitch.
See above.

3) Chainsaw glitches.
When I hit B to rev the chainsaw I don't want to get stuck into a stun animation for 5 seconds. A new post-TU3 glitch is getting stuck with the saw in the air. Unfortunately you're stuck with the chainsaw above your head until you die.

4) Spawning without a reticule, HUD, or reload meter.
This happens to me a lot for some reason.

5) Tighten up the chainsaw bullshit.
I was playing with Rev earlier. I shottied a guy 3 times + melee and it didn't do shit to him. Walked right through and chainsawed me.

6) Fix meatshield action.
When I press A next to a downed enemy, I don't want to roll forward into a group of people who want to kill me. I want to pick him up.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Question: Did Gears 2 originally have the subtitle "The Last Day"? When you have the disc in the drive and you bring up the guide the icon says "Gears of War 2 The Last Day".

RSTEIN said:
Question: Did Gears 2 originally have the subtitle "The Last Day"? When you have the disc in the drive and you bring up the guide the icon says "Gears of War 2 The Last Day".
I just had a look and I can't see anything, it just says Gears of War 2 in both the guide, game details and on the my xbox screen.

Top Bottom