• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Disappointing reviews all around. I'm gonna sit this one out, maybe get it once it goes to the bargain bin.

I'll be playing Banjo this holiday season. Enjoy your stupid game, suckers.

RSTEIN said:
Disappointing reviews all around. I'm gonna sit this one out, maybe get it once it goes to the bargain bin.

Headshot.gif

Mohonky

RSTEIN said:

What?

h3ro

Pretty much 9.5s across the board... NICCCCEEEEEEEEEEE.

Oh, GameTrailers also gave it a 9.5, for those who can't watch the video yet...

Gig said:
On an unrelated note, getting headshots with the longshot is going to be a hell of a lot harder in Gears of War 2.
How so? More effective cover?

Do headshots in Gears 2 still have skull fragments? I just see blood fountains. :(

tomvek

RSTEIN said:

How could reviews of between 9 and 10 out of 10 be disappointing?

witness

RSTEIN said:

RSTEIN said:
I'll be playing Banjo

RSTEIN said:
I'll be playing Banjo

RSTEIN said:
I'll be playing Banjo

RSTEIN said:
I'll be playing Banjo

RSTEIN said:
I'll be playing Banjo

RSTEIN said:
Enjoy your stupid game

=O

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
_dementia said:
How so? More effective cover?

Do headshots in Gears 2 still have skull fragments? I just see blood fountains. :(

When you get shot, the targeting reticule shakes somewhat, even getting shots to the body is going to be difficult.

I only think it happens when your zoomed in though.

thuway

Goddamn such an awesome Fall. Gears of War 2, Fable II, Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Dead Space, Mirror's Edge, AND Fallout 3.

I wish this console war lasted forever, so we'd constantly see years like this :D.

JimiNutz

Banned
Chinner said:
hes trolling

I was thinking that he's being sarcastic?
Reviews have all been great so far.

Just reading the ign review at the moment and am glad to hear that the storyline sounds like it's gonna be quite engaging and a definite improvement on the first which had sections missing.

Mohonky

I asked this in another thread but I'm not sure which.

Having played Call of Duty World at War BETA I can't fathom trying another multiplayer that doesn't allow for you to search for local matches / servers. Like many other Australian's, I'm sick to death of dealing with games being completely unplayable, to play the CoD beta and know you were going to get a solid room everytime was just a god send.

Does anyone know if Gears is using a similar system? I know when the original came out getting a good match was like CoD4 standards, where you could search for over an hour and not play a single game. They eventually made it some what better by patching in a connection rating when searching which made it far more tolerable but at this point I'm hoping it becomes some what mandatory that developers start employing a local search function.

So errr...Gears 2, a ping rating atleast, maybe a local search option?

I'm glad to hear the campaign seems to have clicked with every reviewer on a variety of levels.

Sounds like Cliff is going to have to smoke some serious grass in order to come up with ideas top Gears 2.

Gig said:
On an unrelated note, getting headshots with the longshot is going to be a hell of a lot harder in Gears of War 2.
Thank god for that. My experience with a lot of Longshot users on ONE Map:

- they all run to the longshot EVERY DAMN ROUND in the game
- they basically camp and keep you at a distance all the time, if you get near, they run, and hide when you can't catch up
- you really can't run around freely, if they hit your LITTLE TOE, or the LEATHER SUIT of the Locust, you go down...
- when there are two snipers left (and most of the time they always be the last ones left since, well, they use the sniper all the time), it's a sniper-fest, which probably takes longer than the whole match before with 6 players more on the map, boring stuff...

I hope this shit is going to change thanks to the adjustments. Maybe others haven't had such an experience, but I really am FOR the weaker longshot.

---
Great reviews, as expected. I'm glad the story is apparently better than the first. Few more days...

Chinner

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Thank god for that. My experience with a lot of Longshot users on ONE Map:

- they all run to the longshot EVERY DAMN ROUND in the game
- they basically camp and keep you at a distance all the time, if you get near, they run, and hide when you can't catch up
- you really can't run around freely, if they hit your LITTLE TOE, or the LEATHER SUIT of the Locust, you go down...
- when there are two snipers left (and most of the time they always be the last ones left since, well, they use the sniper all the time), it's a sniper-fest, which probably takes longer than the whole match before with 6 players more on the map, boring stuff...

I hope this shit is going to change thanks to the adjustments. Maybe others haven't had such an experience, but I really am FOR the weaker longshot.

Great reviews, as expected.
I'm just glad that a active reload for the sniper doesn't translate into your character becoming downed. The amount of abuse that its gonna cut down will be massive.

Falagard

I really wish reviewers would focus more on the particulars of multiplayer. I might spend 10 hours playing campaign, or maybe 20 or 30 if I play it through a few times, but the multiplayer has the potential for sucking up 200 or 300 hours of my time if it's done right.

I want to know:

1. Specifics of how the party system works.
2. How ranked matches and how they work compared to the first game. Can you play ranked matches with friends?
3. How lag compares to the first game
4. Host migration and if it's done well
5. Details about the 15 maps - which ones are returning from the first game, and how the new ones compare.
6. How do the changes to game mechanics play out in multiplayer
7. Active reload on the sniper rifle (no longer downs players in one hit guaranteed). Is this good or bad?
8. Stopping power slowing down players that are running at you. Good or bad?
9. Shotgun mechanics, whether it's still fun, better responsiveness for non host, etc.
10. Whether grenades placed on walls are fun or ruin the experience
11. Whether the lancer dominates too much now with stopping power in place - too much spray and pray?
12. Changes to the Hammerburst - the ability to spawn with this as default weapon instead of lancer, good or bad?
13. Is there a visible rank for players? Medals system like COD4 or Halo 3?
14. Anything else we might not know already about multiplayer aspects?

Some of the reviews touch on some of these issues, but none of them fully answer these questions.

JimiNutz

Banned
Chinner said:
I'm just glad that a active reload for the sniper doesn't translate into your character becoming downed. The amount of abuse that its gonna cut down will be massive.

Yeah I imagine only those that are actually good with the weapon will now pick it up. A lot of people are gonna be picking it up out of habit and quickly realising that they can't kill shit with it now that it doesn't down with an active.

Gig

Chinner said:

Yup, the Longshot has really been nerfed, other than the great position where it's located, it doesn't seem that great to rush the longshot on Gridlock anymore.

Yeah I imagine only those that are actually good with the weapon will now pick it up. A lot of people are gonna be picking it up out of habit and quickly realising that they can't kill shit with it now that it doesn't down with an active.

I don't now, it might not even matter if your good at the longshot anymore, that thing jitters like crazy when you get shot from the videos I have seen.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Falagard said:
Some of the reviews touch on some of these issues, but none of them fully answer these questions.

Exactly. The Eurogamer review didn't even touch on anything related to multiplayer.

Gig said:
Yup, the Longshot has really been nerfed, other than the great position where it's located, it doesn't seem that great to rush the longshot on Gridlock anymore.

Less lag + an additional teammate does translate into better long range team shooting though which greatly enhances your teams ability to down whoever is hit by that active with just a bullet or two.

Plus snipers should be more accurate in Gears 2 due to new sensitivity options for aim and zoom modes. One problem with Gears was that the zoomed aiming was just to slow to hit such fast moving targets for some players without aim assistance.

Mohonky

Gig said:

I don't now, it might not even matter if your good at the longshot anymore, that thing jitters like crazy when you get shot from the videos I have seen.

It really was crazy powerful in the original though. If you could get the long shot, you were incredibly hard to take down.

Chinner

Banned
NutJobJim said:
Can't you actually move and defend yourself when getting meleed now? It was really frustrating in Gears1. Anyway, if it has been removed it will get rid of the defensive sniper strategy.

Falagard said:
I really wish reviewers would focus more on the particulars of multiplayer. I might spend 10 hours playing campaign, or maybe 20 or 30 if I play it through a few times, but the multiplayer has the potential for sucking up 200 or 300 hours of my time if it's done right.

I want to know:

2. How ranked matches and how they work compared to the first game. Can you play ranked matches with friends?
5. Details about the 15 maps - which ones are returning from the first game, and how the new ones compare.
7. Active reload on the sniper rifle (no longer downs players in one hit guaranteed). Is this good or bad?
9. Shotgun mechanics, whether it's still fun, better responsiveness for non host, etc.
11. Whether the lancer dominates too much now with stopping power in place - too much spray and pray?
12. Changes to the Hammerburst - the ability to spawn with this as default weapon instead of lancer, good or bad?

Party system is similar to Halo or COD4.. you can play with friends. That much I know based on videos. I know MLG had a nice video of the party system and how it locates players.

Falagard said:

I want to know:

"Gears of War 2: Reader Q & A - You asked and, we tried our best to answer."
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/926/926164p1.html

Gig

Dark FaZe said:
Less lag + an additional teammate does translate into better long range team shooting though which greatly enhances your teams ability to down whoever is hit by that active with just a bullet or two.

Plus snipers should be more accurate in Gears 2 due to new sensitivity options for aim and zoom modes. One problem with Gears was that the zoomed aiming was just to slow to hit such fast moving targets for some players without aim assistance.

Once people realize that lancer vs. Longshot is a battle you can win (even at mid-long ranges), they will be much less timid towards it.

antiloop

Great scores. Although expected.

It's an improvement on an almost perfect game. Eh... at least if you remove story/characters.

Fine

Yay. Although I knew it'd get these reviews.

A question for everyone out there. What's your favorite weapon in Gears?

I think I'm in the minority when I say the Hammerburst. But it's got better accuracy, more power, and takes out wretches fast in melee. It's also got limited zoom.

Top Bottom