• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I'm start to think the shield will be overpowered, well not the actual shield itself, it's those dumbass locusts they don't aim for the exposed bodyparts, they just keep shooting at the shield. Horde mode could be just a bunch of guys running around with shields.

Dirtbag said:
I have no idea how WrikaWreck has lasted this long without a long (if not perma) ban.
He's eluded the mods for far too long now. He riles people up in every single thread he enters.

could be an epic event

Hunter D

J. M. Romeo said:
Played the game in a couple of preview events that I set up in Madrid and Barcelona, covering for some of the enthusiast press that had to leave early. Multiplayer is really awesome and the game has an added layer of polish to it. All the reviews so far are pretty much spot on in those points.

n500292327_891713_1630.jpg

That's some big ass Marcus Fenix.
"Look at all that juice!"

WrikaWrek

Banned
Dirtbag said:
I have no idea how WrikaWreck has lasted this long without a long (if not perma) ban.
He's eluded the mods for far too long now. He riles people up in every single thread he enters.

A review (Gamespy) stated something, i discussed it, in context of what it stated. So, should we perma ban Gamespy too because they sated something you didn't want to hear?

There's an ignore user list, use it if you aren't looking for diverging opinions on Gaf. That way you stop back sit modding, and only read what re enforces your opinion.

Gig said:
I'm start to think the shield will be overpowered, well not the actual shield itself, it's those dumbass locusts they don't aim for the exposed bodyparts, they just keep shooting at the shield. Horde mode could be just a bunch of guys running around with shields.

Limited mobility and damage. You'll do damage for a bit, but once your side arm runs out of ammo what are you going to do? Pistols, Magnums, and the Gorgon gun don't really have much ammunition.

WrikaWrek

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
Hmm, I never saw any mention of a certain Sony game in the Gamespy review?

I must be blind.

Gamespy says it's the best looking game ever. So the comparison they make is to other games that look amazing, i think KZ2, console wise, looks amazing, and is technically the best looking game. So i mention it.

Why does this get received as some sort of "troll" or anything? Jesus christ guys.

Gig said:
Shit Valvoga you've been quite the party-pooper with these last few posts. u mad?

Gamespy says it's the best looking game ever. So the comparison they make is to other games that look amazing, i think KZ2, console wise, looks amazing, and is technically the best looking game. So i mention it.

Why does this get received as some sort of "troll" or anything? Jesus christ guys.

C'mon, all Gamespy stated it's arguably the most visually impressive game YET.
While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game yet made.

So you bring up a game due out NEXT year on a competing console, and maintain it's not stirring someone's porridge? :lol :lol

It's pretty thin.

WrikaWrek

Banned
gollumsluvslave said:
C'mon, all Gamespy stated it's arguably the most visually impressive game YET.

So you bring up a game due out NEXT year on a competing console, and maintain it's not stirring someone's porridge? :lol :lol

It's pretty thin.

Who gives a shit if it's on a competing console? Most of the people here own multiple systems i believe.

And now since a game isn't out we can't comment on what we've seen/player? :lol Then why can we say that Game X that hasn't released is the best looking game ever? Oh, RIGHT!

Anyway, if it bugs you so much (for some unknown reason) just ignore my comment.

p3tran

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
why can we say that Game X that hasn't released is the best looking game ever?

you know... this being the gears2 'official thread' and all.. would you mind taking your argument to another thread? ;)

Gig

Dark FaZe said:
Limited mobility and damage. You'll do damage for a bit, but once your side arm runs out of ammo what are you going to do? Pistols, Magnums, and the Gorgon gun don't really have much ammunition.

Your movement speed may be diminished, but I'm pretty sure the turning speed is the same.

As for damage, I don't think that will be problem when you're five feet away from them shooting them in the head and they still can't hit you for shit.

Also you can still pistol whip even if you have the shield.

I wouldn't be worrying about running of ammo, both the pistol and the magnum had their maximum ammo capacity increased.

I told you guys you should have been worrying about the A.I., but nobody was really listening. :/

Gig

ThirdEngine said:
Shit Valvoga you've been quite the party-pooper with these last few posts. u mad?

I'm just pointing some flaws in what will still be a great game.......................................and when Friday comes I'm sure I'll be pointing plenty more!!

frogg609

I was wondering if anyone has seen the full size lancer in person that Amazon has on Pre-order. I have it pre-ordered, but I hope it's not cheesy.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
I'm just pointing some flaws in what will still be a great game.......................................and when Friday comes I'm sure I'll be pointing plenty more!!
Flaws in your eyes, you play this game very differently than most of us who get together to play. In my opinion the shield doesn't seem overpowered, the shotty shouldn't have half of the ammo and it won't be useless, and the sniper shouldn't be harder to use for getting an actual headshot. I literally disagree with all of the points you've made in here today
no offense
. :lol

frogg609 said:
I was wondering if anyone has seen the full size lancer in person that Amazon has on Pre-order. I have it pre-ordered, but I hope it's not cheesy.

There was a few pics linked on Flickr somewhere earlier in this thread (or was it another...?) ill edit if i find it....

Heres one...

Gig

Aladuf said:
Flaws in your eyes, you play this game very differently than most of us who get together to play. In my opinion the shield doesn't seem overpowered

Never underestimate the stupidity of the locust, it's like they want to be blown up/chainsawed/etc.!

Damn I can't for this game.

Gig said:
Never underestimate the stupidity of the locust, it's like they want to be blown up/chainsawed/etc.!

Damn I can't for this game.

So I take it you'll be making it through level 50 horde on insane by yourself and your trusty shield then?

Gig

Dark FaZe said:
So I take it you'll be making it through level 50 horde on insane by yourself and your trusty shield then?

Hey, I never said anything like that, but it doesn't look like they have gotten any smarter.

This was the one area I was most concerned about in Gears of War 2 and it looks Epic may have dropped the ball again.

I'll wait til I have beaten a few times for full judgment, but what I have seen so far isn't encouraging.

cresto

Nate-IGN said:
That's where Gears of War 2 took a bit of a stumble for me. Not as much as the first game's host advantage epidemic or buggy gameplay, but there are certainly remnants of that slightly defunct base. I encountered a hint of host advantage and considerable lag every so often, which was disappointing.

Lame....

Nate-IGN said:
I've also seen around five or six bugs. The most interesting of which saw one player model floating in the air while still alive and invisible to everyone except those who were already dead and were watching through the ghost cam. Needless to say that round ended in a stalemate. I've also seen upside down enemies in Horde, my player model sliding around (not user controlled), and shots not registering properly.

LAMER....

Nate-IGN said:
It's important to keep in mind that I was playing on my home connection which is typically solid and I was playing on servers that were largely devoid of players. That could have either been causing the lag because the matchmaking had to search far and wide for players or it could be a sign that the lag will actually get worse once millions of gamers join up online. There's really no way to tell for sure but the fact that I had those problems are disconcerting.

Hopefully right

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Here's a nice little bundle for 360-less Europeans:

EUROPE ONLY: Gears of War 2 Bundles Arrive for Xbox 360TM

Friday 7 November 2008 sees the arrival of a new bundle pack for the highly anticipated sequel to the 5 million-selling blockbuster third-person tactical action game, and one of the most popular Xbox 360 games in history, Gears of War 2. Picking up six months after the events of Gears of War, this action packed sequel thrusts you back into a deep and harrowing story of humankind's epic battle for survival against a nightmarish force of underground creatures known as the Locust Horde. Available in France, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Austria, Switzerland, Russia, Portugal, Hungary and the Czech Republic, this critically-acclaimed title will be on sale with the 60GB hard-drive Xbox 360 Pro console at an estimated retail price of €269.99

h3ro

Snapshot King said:
Wow, those gold weapons look fucking awful. I hope no one uses them.

If no one wants their Gold Hammerburst code given for midnight releases, please send it this way please. :D

Snapshot King said:
Wow, those gold weapons look fucking awful. I hope no one uses them.
BLING BLING MOTHERFUCKER

Whats sad is some people are hapilly shelling out lots of money for 1:1 gold lancer replica models. :(

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Man I really hope wal mart has the CE at midnight or no gold weapons for me, I cant see those links at work but if they're that ugly I wont feel too bad.

Recoil

Anyone find this excerpt, from the 1UP review, a little odd?

Gears' gameplay isn't mindless warfare -- it's intensely focused, visceral fun. The cover system, despite its returning flaws, is still addictive. Likewise, hunkering down in the game's Roadie Run -- during which the camera pulls down close to your character as he ducks and runs -- again feels limited, as it's not conducive to either keeping an eye (and the camera) ahead of you or making tight turns. For such a stunning game, these held-over missteps seem odd, but they have little impact on Gears 2's impressive level of polish across the board.

It's like the reviewer doesn't understand the purpose of the roadie run. Or are they saying that it's TOO limited to be of use? I always thought it was fine in the first game... *shrug*

HiResDes

Kestastrophe said:
There is no way that they are including Crysis in this comparison. I love Gears, but no game has come even close to touching Crysis.
Yeah and Warhead looks arguably even better, and I'm talking about on mid-range PCs.

Shins

Banned
Gig said:
And if two-piecing was gone you would be nowhere.
2vma745.gif

No no no, if smoke greandes were gone, I would be nowhere. My enviable scouting ability, tactical breakdown of the battlefield, and excellent diction make me a model of efficiency for all to behold.

You're just walking in my shadow. I got the biggest house on the big side of town. I got 600 suits! This ain't no garden party, brother, this is Gears of War, where only the strongest survive. To be the man, you've gotta beat the man! Playing while sipping Cristal in the backseat of my Cadillac. Nobody lives like this!

I'm a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Guys, quickie question: 3 of my best mates and me are thinking about digging in Gears 2 coming friday with the four of us. We've got 2 360s, 2 good screens and acces to broadband internet. Is it possible to a) play story mode with 4 guys? If not, versus and horde it is. Is it in this case easier to either b) play/hook up online or c) system link? I've never hooked up 360s before and haven't played GeoW1 online so am kinda oblivious with this stuff.

Recoil said:
It's like the reviewer doesn't understand the purpose of the roadie run. Or are they saying that it's TOO limited to be of use? I always thought it was fine in the first game... *shrug*

Yeah apparently the reader doesn't understand it's purpose. It's basically to get from one place to another and get back in cover quickly. If you could tightly control where you are going to the point where you can make sharp turns, everyone would be roadie running in circles around cars on Gridlock when someone starts shooting at then:lol

Arnie

Shins said:
2vma745.gif

No no no, if smoke greandes were gone, I would be nowhere. My enviable scouting ability, tactical breakdown of the battlefield, and excellent diction make me a model of efficiency for all to behold.

You're just walking in my shadow. I got the biggest house on the big side of town. I got 600 suits! This ain't no garden party, brother, this is Gears of War, where only the strongest survive. To be the man, you've gotta beat the man! Playing while sipping Cristal in the backseat of my Cadillac. Nobody lives like this!

I'm a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!!
:lol
Just checked out the reviews, great scores all around, Epic delivered.

The final scene on that Gamevideos review made me HYPED. Also the gold weapons are a mixed bag. I'm not a fan of the bright gold plating, but the neon blue lights on the gold I am gay for.

Ken Masters said:
also, I no longer have a gold membership for XBL, so is this game worth the buy? I did play quite a bit of MP and co-op for the last game

Going by the reviews, the campaign in Gears 2 is longer, more diverse and better than the original. The game has bots now too, as well as offline multiplayer and split-screen co-op like before.
So yeah, I think you can still get a lot out of it without ever going online.

Rei_Toei said:
Guys, quickie question: 3 of my best mates and me are thinking about digging in Gears 2 coming friday with the four of us. We've got 2 360s, 2 good screens and acces to broadband internet. Is it possible to a) play story mode with 4 guys? If not, versus and horde it is. Is it in this case easier to either b) play/hook up online or c) system link? I've never hooked up 360s before and haven't played GeoW1 online so am kinda oblivious with this stuff.
Campaign is 2p only.

System link is simple, especial with only 2 xboxes. Just link the ends of an Ethernet cable to both xboxes. I'd recommend it over getting online.

Top Bottom