• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Fine said:
Yay. Although I knew it'd get these reviews.

A question for everyone out there. What's your favorite weapon in Gears?

I think I'm in the minority when I say the Hammerburst. But it's got better accuracy, more power, and takes out wretches fast in melee. It's also got limited zoom.

117240-2.jpg

Fancy stopping power, movable cover, zoomed hammerbursts....

bah

Aint shit gonna change. In your face, blood on the wall, 1 shot downs, just like I like it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
From Gamespy

While it's certainly open to debate, we're going to go out on a limb and call Gears of War 2 the most visually impressive game of all-time. It actually looks quite a bit better than its predecessor, which most Gears of War fans would agree is quite a feat.

Called it, i don't BS around with what i see. It's the best combination of tech and art design i've ever seen in a game, hands down, it's really a tour de force, and there will be moments that will make you think "holy goddamn shit".

I'm not saying this looks better than KZ2 technically, all i'm saying is you won't be impressed anymore after you play GOW2.

Take that as you may.

WrikaWrek said:
I'm not saying this looks better than KZ2 technically, all i'm saying is you won't be impressed anymore after you play GOW2.

Take that as you may.

I'm not interested in opening this can of worms, but the art direction I've seen looks mighty fine.

PhatSaqs

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
From Gamespy

Called it, i don't BS around with what i see. It's the best combination of tech and art design i've ever seen in a game, hands down, it's really a tour de force, and there will be moments that will make you think "holy goddamn shit".

Take that as you may.
Cut this shit. KZ2 isnt even out.

h3ro

WrikaWrek said:
From Gamespy

Take that as you may.

I hate you for being in the beta. I wanna be in the beta... :/

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Dark FaZe said:
117240-2.jpg

bah

Aint shit gonna change. In your face, blood on the wall, 1 shot downs, just like I like it.

Your going to have to get close enough to use it, also it looks like that may have been nerfed too.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Just watched the 1up review, awesome to know that the new add ons to the game isn't the problem. And damn that gold lancer is eye popping.

f@luS

More than a member.
WrikaWrek said:
From Gamespy

Take that as you may.
It looks a bit better than gow 1, but it somewhat looks the same. Just more , bigger. DO we have the all destructive environnement promised? that was the excuse when the game was showed for how close it looks from gow 1.
It does looks amazing, but ill be impressed by many games after, on 360 OR on ps3, for sure. Ive played KZ2 and it really is in another league of its own (on console)

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Dark FaZe said:
117240-2.jpg

bah

You sir are corrected! Never drop that bad boy for anything esle.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
Your going to have to get close enough to use it, also it looks like that may have been nerfed too.
I think you're overestimating how nerfed the weapons are in Gears 2. Sure active downs are out on the snipe but you can still two-piece with it, and a headshot is still a headshot. Also the shotty has been slowed down but again, two-piecing still seems effective as hell and you can still body the shit out of people with that thing.

antiloop

WrikaWrek said:

If they say so, it must be true.

I mean only KZ2 fanboys are able to overhype and compare against games they haven't played.

Gig said:

I look forward to our meeting sir.

All of this has happened before. And all of this will happen again.

Gig

Aladuf said:
I think you're overestimating how nerfed the weapons are in Gears 2. Sure active downs are out on the snipe but you can still two-piece with it, and a headshot is still a headshot. Also the shotty has been slowed down but again, two-piecing still seems effective as hell and you can still body the shit out of people with that thing.

Yeah but getting into the range where the shotgun is useful will be a lot harder.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
Yeah but getting into the range where the shotgun is useful will be a lot harder.
But it's not like when you get a shotgun kill in Gears of War that you can be a fucking mile away. Sure it happens because the shotty is a lot more random in Gears 1 but it wasn't that bad.

Has host advantage been completely fixed? That was the killer for the original to me.

Why doesn't this game come out tomorrow? A Friday release?

Gig

Dark FaZe said:
I look forward to our meeting sir.

All of this has happened before. And all of this will happen again.

It's going to be funny when your in a shotgun battle with someone and I'm lancering the crap out of you, slowing you down to a crawl. Or you when you try and come up from the side or some shit and you think you're close enough to get me, but then I turn my Lancer on you and you get slowed down to a crawl again.

I've got a class in 20 minutes so I have to wait until tonight to go through all of these reviews, but one thing I can say real fast is lmao at the IGN review saying the voice acting needs work.

Really? Really?

Tonight will be review goodness plus moar Gears online.

Aladuf

Banned
Bumblebeetuna said:
Has host advantage been completely fixed? That was the killer for the original to me.

Why doesn't this game come out tomorrow? A Friday release?
Completely fixed? No, despite there being matchmaking there always will have to be a host who will have the best connection, host overpowering has been greatly reduced though.

And the game comes out on Friday because they are keeping up with November 7th being Emergence Day just like with Gears 1.

I asked this yesterday and nobody answered it, but is there a specific gametype where you have to score a certain amount of points to win with unlimited number of respawns?

Gig said:
It's going to be funny when your in a shotgun battle with someone and I'm lancering the crap out of you, slowing you down to a crawl. Or you when you try and come up from the side or some shit and you think you're close enough to get me, but then I turn my Lancer on you and you get slowed down to a crawl again.

:lol

I'll run right through that shit with the power of burning passion.

argh...that gametrailers review was pretty damn good...very epic feel to the action...and as brutal as ever...

Not pointing fingures, but someone needs to stop talking rubbish in every single thread...ps3 or 360....damn

Gig

Aladuf said:
But it's not like when you get a shotgun kill in Gears of War that you can be a fucking mile away. Sure it happens because the shotty is a lot more random in Gears 1 but it wasn't that bad.

Not with the regular shotgun, but if you have an active it's you have a super shotgun (blowing people's head from 20ft away).

They should have cut the shotgun's starting ammo in half.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
f@luS said:
DO we have the all destructive environnement promised? that was the excuse when the game was showed for how close it looks from gow 1.

Cliff never promised total environmental destruction like Battlefield. There are certain objects/cover that are descructible and specific strategic areas that are prone to destruction but we were never promised anything mega. Environmental destruction is great for fast games like Battlefied, but not Gears.

f@lus said:
It does looks amazing, but ill be impressed by many games after, on 360 OR on ps3, for sure. Ive played KZ2 and it really is in another league of its own (on console)

Yeah, duh, of course there will be games on 360 that look better than KZ2 and Gears 2. Each game has its own focus. Fable II has an incredible real time lighting system, for example. KZ2 has its own thing going on, etc. etc. Nothing new here.

J. M. Romeo said:
Played the game in a couple of preview events that I set up in Madrid and Barcelona, covering for some of the enthusiast press that had to leave early. Multiplayer is really awesome and the game has an added layer of polish to it. All the reviews so far are pretty much spot on in those points.

n500292327_891713_1630.jpg

That's some big ass Marcus Fenix.
He really does look like a rhinoceros standing upright.

Aladuf

Banned
Dax01 said:
I asked this yesterday and nobody answered it, but is there a specific gametype where you have to score a certain amount of points to win with unlimited number of respawns?
King of the Hill and Annex.. also Wingman but you don't have unlimited respawns.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
Not with the regular shotgun, but if you have an active it's you have a super shotgun (blowing people's head from 20ft away).

They should have cut the shotgun's starting ammo in half.
Again, you're acting like a "20 foot away headshot" was consistently what would happen, it wasn't that common at all. And cutting the shotty's ammo in half is so pointless, you have to have a solid close range weapon.

Shins

Banned
Gig said:
It's going to be funny when people adapt to your consistently slow-moving pace and you're right back where you started.

Gig

Aladuf said:
Again, you're acting like a "20 foot away headshot" was consistently what would happen, it wasn't that common at all. And cutting the shotty's ammo in half is so pointless, you have to have a solid close range weapon.

12 shots isn't enough?! And if you reduced the shotgun's ammo you won't have to about people getting in close/active's because they would run out of bullets real quick.

And that's another qualm I have with Gear's MP, expect for power weapons, running of ammo is almost never a concern.

Dirtbag

nelsonroyale said:
argh...that gametrailers review was pretty damn good...very epic feel to the action...and as brutal as ever...

Not pointing fingures, but someone needs to stop talking rubbish in every single thread...ps3 or 360....damn

I have no idea how WrikaWreck has lasted this long without a long (if not perma) ban.
He's eluded the mods for far too long now. He riles people up in every single thread he enters.

Gig

Shins said:
It's going to be funny when people adapt to your consistently slow-moving pace and you're right back where you started.

And if two-piecing was gone you would be nowhere.

Also it isn't my fault people want to rush in and get themselves killed.

Top Bottom