• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

REV 09

only got to try 1 match before heading to work, it was on Under Hill. It played fairly well and was 100% symmetrical...meaning that neither team will have an advantage. Also, the mortar at the top of the bridge always spawns, it doesn't swap with a boom.

maps were only 82mb...much smaller than i had anticipated.

Raxus

Besides Under the Hill the rest of the maps are great. Fuel Depot was in gears 1, Grind puts the power weapons in just the right spots and is a great annex and KotH map, the last map I only played once so I can't say.

Aladuf

Banned
Alright, I got some map impressions after playing with a few of the guys for a couple of hours...

Fuel Depot: The map is redone perfectly. It felt so cool (shitty pun not intended) going back to play that map again after all this time away from Gears 1. It's gonna be a favorite to play once again.

Courtyard: I love the map but I knew after my very first match on there that much like Pavilion, every match is going to come down to someone planting frags on either side of that little inner nook and just picking people off one at a time. Sure enough, it happened every time the next match we had on there. Still trying to figure out why sand comes out of the concrete walls when you shoot them too. :lol

Grindyard: The first thing I thought of course was that I'm playing Killzone 2 again. Pretty good set up for everything but the KotH game we had on that map showed that it was 100% fucked for that gametype. If the hill is up at Mulcher/Boomshot you can just forget securing that base if you're not there first to claim it.

Underhill: Honestly, it's not a bad map and I didn't have a bad time on it, but after playing it once, it was the map that everybody shouted "no no, not Underhill!" when it came up to vote on. I think it's balanced pretty damn well too.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
First impressions:

Underhill:
This one surprised me. I like it. From the preview it looked pretty "meh" but it works in action. Lots of places to hide and set smoke traps down below. Wide open combat out front + mortar makes for same frantic shit. Weapons are well balanced with flame/torque/mortar. It was a good decision to not have the boom and mortar alternate.

Courtyard:
The biggest disappointment so far. It looks awesome and the concept is good. But the game comes grinding to a halt during frag rounds once the area under the torque bow is fortified. In this regard it's much worse than even Pavilion. At least the entry way to the spawn/frag room in Pavilion is wide enough that you can work your way in. The two points of entry to the frag room in Courtyard are VERY tight. Plus there are lots of pipes and shit so you have very little room to maneuver.

Fuel Depot:
Well, we all know what to expect here. It's awesome. The mortar inside takes a bit to get used to and I'm not sure of its effectiveness. I think it only works if you have like 4 guys vs. their two and you need to flush them out of the corners of the map. By the time you pick it up and fire it off inside the enemy has probably left the building (or rushed you and killed you). Not sure if you really want to run to it early on in the round. No Krill... I guess because they were exterminated during the first Gears.

Grindyard:
On Execution/Warzone: Wow. Amazing. It's this map pack's Gold Rush. The boom perch is the key hold point. When you get there you can see the entire map and literally snipe with the thing (in fact, it may be a bit too powerful). The map design basically forces you into two paths (boom or flamer). Getting to - and holding onto - these two spots is intense.

On King of the Hill: Holy fuck Epic what have you done? When the circle is at the boom it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to take it away. The problem is the enemy can take cover in the perch while still holding onto the circle. Plus, guys can hide on the landing after the first ramp. You can't have one or two people trying to take this circle down. You need a coordinated effort with poison nades, smoke, etc. Very, very hard.

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
I say yes, since Gears 2 is actually playable now. Go for it. I've had virtually no lag at all in my matches. Shit is amazing now.
Stop saying that, it's getting annoying. The game was completely playable and enjoyable before TU3.

-PXG- said:
On April 3rd, you can play the Snowblind maps with Epic on Live. Add the gamertags:
And thanks for posting those, I added all 10.

Aladuf

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Yup.. one out of every three games.
You must have played games by yourself then. There were 5 of us who'd play together every night for hours and it wasn't bad at all. TU2 cleared up most of the issues so everything after it was just fine.

Aladuf said:
You must have played games by yourself then. There were 5 of us who'd play together every night for hours and it wasn't bad at all. TU2 cleared up most of the issues so everything after it was just fine.

oh I see. the old 'well it works for me lol!". "i cant tell who's host so how can you?" i also played for 100+hours with 4 other friends and ran into glitches and cheaters every other game.

Aladuf

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
oh I see. the old 'well it works for me lol!". "i cant tell who's host so how can you?" i also played for 100+hours with 4 other friends and ran into glitches and cheaters every other game.
I guess it does work for me lol! I can tell exactly who host is, half the time though, he's on my team so I don't have to deal with the pussy host on the other team who quits out if he's losing, and yeah if the host is on the other team I can fucking tell who it is. I ran into gameplay glitches, sure, but never any glitches like the new meatshield/boomshield glitches that came up after TU2.

I'm not saying the game is perfect or that everything works fine but the amount of complaints that always cycle through here is so ridiculous at times... "lol this game was so broken before TU3, I couldn't play it at all!", it always puzzles me to hear that because I did play the shit out of it after TU2 and before TU3 and I did have a good time. No other MP games interested me enough to keep playing them for any extended amount of time.

RSTEIN

Just played a few more Courtyard games. Definitely not as annoying as the first time. It played pretty well.

Also: Annex on Fuel Depot is amazing.

-PXG-

Aladuf said:
Stop saying that, it's getting annoying. The game was completely playable and enjoyable before TU3.

And thanks for posting those, I added all 10.

For me, it wasn't :(

Also, did you add them on xbox.com or your console?

-PXG-

Aladuf said:

Are they showing up as "Friend Request Pending" or nothing at all? I added them at like 4:00 AM, like three times each, and I still don't see anything. When I tried doing it on my 360, it says' they're full. But xbox.com says it's not. :/

EDIT

ok.

Is it true that you can no longer "hop down" from the sides to where is Hammer on Fuel Depot? If so, that sucks because those little spots were awesome for flanking people in the middle of the warehouse.

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Is it true that you can no longer "hop down" from the sides to where is Hammer on Fuel Depot? If so, that sucks because those little spots were awesome for flanking people in the middle of the warehouse.
You can still hop down the sides near that, but on one of the sides there was 3 crates in Gears 1 and you could jump up on the middle one and do whatever, it's high up now so you can't climb up there anymore.

Also, bird and I ran into an odd glitch earlier... it was me and him 2 vs. 1 and we go rush the guy and he's got a shotty out but for some reason he was burning us as if he had the scorcher and getting the shotty shots on us. I went down immediately but bird managed to get away. Don't know what the hell happened there.

RSTEIN

Aladuf said:
Also, bird and I ran into an odd glitch earlier... it was me and him 2 vs. 1 and we go rush the guy and he's got a shotty out but for some reason he was burning us as if he had the scorcher and getting the shotty shots on us. I went down immediately but bird managed to get away. Don't know what the hell happened there.

He probably did have the scorcher. This happens rarely. The player will look like they have a pistol/shotty/whatever but will in reality have a different weapon. It's fun to watch someone who has a pistol out shooting it off like a shotgun in the ghost cam :lol I think this happened to REV earlier. He had a pistol out on the ghost came but in reality it was a shotty.

Aladuf

Banned
RSTEIN said:
He probably did have the scorcher. This happens rarely. The player will look like they have a pistol/shotty/whatever but will in reality have a different weapon. It's fun to watch someone who has a pistol out shooting it off like a shotgun in the ghost cam :lol I think this happened to REV earlier. He had a pistol out on the ghost came but in reality it was a shotty.
I was thinking that too but I was talking both Scorch and Shotgun shots. Like, I was getting very slightly burned but then also hearing and feeling myself taking the slow shotty shots as well.

Aladuf said:
Grindyard: The first thing I thought of course was that I'm playing Killzone 2 again. Pretty good set up for everything but the KotH game we had on that map showed that it was 100% fucked for that gametype. If the hill is up at Mulcher/Boomshot you can just forget securing that base if you're not there first to claim it.
RSTEIN said:
Grindyard:
On King of the Hill: Holy fuck Epic what have you done? When the circle is at the boom it is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to take it away. The problem is the enemy can take cover in the perch while still holding onto the circle. Plus, guys can hide on the landing after the first ramp. You can't have one or two people trying to take this circle down. You need a coordinated effort with poison nades, smoke, etc. Very, very hard.
had this same problem when i played the map last night. trying futilely to take that fucking tower (or even make it up the first ramp) was a nightmare.

RSTEIN said:
Fuel Depot:
Well, we all know what to expect here.
some of us just had our Fuel Depot cherry popped. for the longest time i honestly thought that Fuel Station was a Bungie-style reimagining of Depot. :lol

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
you unlock the pistol shotgun by getting all 10 submission captures. :D

ThirdEngine said:
I remember that happened last night to War. He blew some dude to pieces holding a smoke in his hand. :lol
yeah you guys sounded confused as fuck. :lol i also got gibbed yesterday by a boltok shotty. nothing like charging someone because you see their arm raised and holding a pistol, only to eat some point blank buckshot.

Flunkie

Banned
Quick initial impressions: Love Under Hill (great for Annex), love Grind Yard, Courtyard is alright, and Fuel Depot I haven't played yet, but it needs no explanation - it's Fuel Depot.

Flunkie said:
Quick initial impressions: Love Under Hill (great for Annex), love Grind Yard, Courtyard is alright, and Fuel Depot I haven't played yet, but it needs no explanation - it's Fuel Depot.
Sorry about not joining. I was on long enough to download the maps and then bail. I'll be on in a couple hours, though.

2real4tv

Iam thinking about getting the map pack but one thing that pisses me off is that why do I have to pay for old maps they should be free imo. Especially if you own the first Gears.

DoomGyver

Aladuf said:
I guess it does work for me lol! I can tell exactly who host is, half the time though, he's on my team so I don't have to deal with the pussy host on the other team who quits out if he's losing, and yeah if the host is on the other team I can fucking tell who it is. I ran into gameplay glitches, sure, but never any glitches like the new meatshield/boomshield glitches that came up after TU2.

I'm not saying the game is perfect or that everything works fine but the amount of complaints that always cycle through here is so ridiculous at times... "lol this game was so broken before TU3, I couldn't play it at all!", it always puzzles me to hear that because I did play the shit out of it after TU2 and before TU3 and I did have a good time. No other MP games interested me enough to keep playing them for any extended amount of time.

:lol

The rose tinted glasses! THEY WONT COME OFF!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Spent all evening and night with the new maps, too tired to go in-depth, but I love 'em - favorite new map is Grind Yard, and Fuel Depot? Awesome.

Got all the Horde/map Achievements today, so it was a good day...

Oh, and right when I was exiting the game, I read and just got what the "Icy Dead People" Achievement was about - very clever Epic!

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
:lol

The hell are you talking about? The dude joked saying I'm one of those people who says that they can't tell who host is and I said that I can tell who host is. Unless I'm not reading what I said correctly, I think I acknowledged that host advantage is obvious enough to pick out exactly who the host is.

Shins

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
Hey, can I join the "cool kids" club now? 'Cause I just got the maps!
Still need the Combustible maps to enter the Ballers' Lounge

Full Recovery said:
Maybe you should get some glasses and re-read that, biff.

Llyranor

How good are the new two map packs for Horde mode? That would be the only mode I'd play on them.

Are they designed in such ways as to provide new/unique experiences compared to the already available maps?

Shins

Banned
How could a map be altered to make Horde mode play out dramatically differently anyway? If anything needs to change to make that mode more interesting, its the enemy waves themselves, not the stage on which they prance about.

Llyranor

Well, if adjustments aren't made to the actual mode itself, then purely level design. Or unique features like those laser barriers or whatnot.

Aladuf

Banned
Llyranor said:
How good are the new two map packs for Horde mode? That would be the only mode I'd play on them.

Are they designed in such ways as to provide new/unique experiences compared to the already available maps?
I don't play Horde nearly enough to give you a Gig/Valvoga style impression, but I'd say that out of the new maps, Underhill and especially Courtyard would be pretty damn fun for Horde. Out of the last map pack I'd say that Fuel Station would be the best for it.

*shrugs*

Flunkie

Banned
Shins said:
How could a map be altered to make Horde mode play out dramatically differently anyway? If anything needs to change to make that mode more interesting, its the enemy waves themselves, not the stage on which they prance about.
There was a Microsoft Survey that that sent out a couple weeks ago asking people specifically about Horde mode. I was selected for the survey, and when they asked for the main thing I'd like to see changed, I said diversity. It's far too boring and mundane as-is to amount to much, so mixing things up with different enemies on different levels and such would make it a little more fun. I don't know much else that could be done to make Horde more enjoyable.

Shins

Banned
Llyranor said:
Well, if adjustments aren't made to the actual mode itself, then purely level design. Or unique features like those laser barriers or whatnot.
The problem here is that Epic seems wholly uninterested in allowing the usual map alterations while in Horde mode, from my experience. No train on Tyro, no Hail on, well, Hail. Those were two maps that I jumped to after first finishing 50 waves of Horde, expecting that the dynamics of the maps themselves would lend something new to the experience. Instead, that stuff was just left off, and here I was running around with the same ten waves on another static map.

Done it once, done it enough. And I really enjoyed myself the first time through!

edit: I will say that the garage door on Under Hill could make for some fun, if its still possible to open/close it in Horde.

whitehawk

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Anyone else discovered the sniper box of death on Fuel Depot? :lol
Have you never played gears 1 or what :lol

Also, ive only played Under Hill so far, but holy shit, that was the greatest game of annex ive ever played. I love these maps.

I've already done waves 1-10 on horde on all the new maps, grind yard was by for the easiest and underhill wasn't much harder. It's just so easy to box the enemies out.

I'm really digging the new maps, WAY better than the last map pack. Their so big they all make for badass games of annex, and everyone knows I love me some annex!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I love annex too, but Grind Yard seems pretty unbalanced on it. Though I'll admit the only time I've even played the map put me against a 41 and 38, along with two people on my team quitting and one being idle. :p

I do notice Grind Yard seems to be voted against a lot, especially to Under Hill/Fuel Depot. Only managed to play it once, and it was because two other maps tied and it was chosen.

Overall I really love the new maps, Under Hill in particular is probably my all time favorite. I probably got more scorcher kills today alone than I have in my entire Gears 2 online career. I also saw a few rank 100's today....no way someone could possibly have that legit, not to mention they weren't very good. :lol

Top Bottom