• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

-PXG-

RSTEIN said:
This is precisely why I like it the way it is right now. Before TU3/TU2 the game was very frustrating. Basically almost every encounter would involve someone roadie running+two piece/shoot. Due to the inconsistency of the shotgun (laaag), it was very, very hard to deal with these aggressive types. You could even get two solid shots on someone who's roadie running at you and it would do nothing. Now, the playing field is a lot more level. If someone is running at me then I know I can still get those shots off PLUS I have the opportunity to get one last shot before they can enter into the two peice/shoot after the roadie run.

Running up to someone and two piecing is lame as hell. Everyone agrees with that. But adding lag to shooting is BS. It slows down the pace of the game too much. It's way to hard to advance on someone without taking a shit ton of damage. Sure, you will eventually get to them, but not without slowing down and taking so much damage, where a mere fart would down you.

You can argue that it makes the game more "tactical". Instead of going solo, you now have to use your teammates to win. However, in a lot of ways, the game is reduced to staying behind cover, relying on the Lancer/ HB and 'nade tags, hoping someone is dumb enough to rush you. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The game will get stale and boring really fast because of that.

TU3 has done a lot of good for this game. Chainsawing and two-piecing are a lot harder, quitting and cheating results in a more severe punishment, and best of all, online stability has improved tremendously. I don't necessarily want Gears 2 to be Gears 1.5. Trust me, I don't want coke induced, sniper/ shotty wall bounce fests. That was lame. All I want is that adrenaline rush that I got when I played Gears 1. Once in a while I get in Gears 2, but not nearly as much as I did in the first game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
whitehawk said:
Holy shit the new maps are awesome. Underhill is great. And grindyard is amazing, perfect for king of the hill or annex. One of the best games of annex ive ever played. goddam

Seriously? I can't STAND annex/koth on grind yard, it gets completly one sided by whoever gets the boomshot.

-PXG- said:
You can argue that it makes the game more "tactical". Instead of going solo, you now have to use your teammates to win. However, in a lot of ways, the game is reduced to staying behind cover, relying on the Lancer/ HB and 'nade tags, hoping someone is dumb enough to rush you. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The game will get stale and boring really fast because of that.

Minus 'nade tags, that actually sounds like the Gears I was always hoping to play.

Mohonky

Full Recovery said:
Gears Rule #1: The man with the best connection wins.

Not really true. I use the chainsaw under laggy conditions and win. Persoally the chainsaw I found to be more luck than anything. Sometimes I've barely pressed it and won, other times I've bashed that fucker like a meth fiend and lost.

DoomGyver

Mohonky said:
Not really true. I use the chainsaw under laggy conditions and win. Persoally the chainsaw I found to be more luck than anything. Sometimes I've barely pressed it and won, other times I've bashed that fucker like a meth fiend and lost.
That's just because the person you're chainsaw dueling has an even worse connection than you do. :lol

Papercuts

Shins said:
Track & Field taught me how to win chainsaw duels. I only lose when someone comes behind me with a shotgun. :- (

90% of my chainsaw battles never get concluded, someone always gets shot. :lol

mattso

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
If you use your thumb in a chainsaw duel, you lose. Does anyone else get upset when your chiansaw duel is interrupted? I get PISSED when someone intervenes...
same here

cresto

Aladuf said:
I'm not sure that's the same thing he was talking about though. He mentioned the same problem I said I was having. It's not that what we're talking about is happening after running up on someone, it's just that I don't like to blindfire my shotgun so when I'm in a shotty battle with someone I'll tap LT real fast to center it up and try to concentrate the shot on the person but when you do that sometimes, nothing will happen and you're just open to take an extra shot while you sit there frantically doing nothing. It's crazy annoying.
I've noticed this plenty of times ever since the game came out and wondered if it was just my connection. I honestly think this is placed in there to try and even up the shotgun with the rest of the weapons which is utter bull shit.

If anyone follows the gears offical forums, and you see anything on this, please let me know! This is by far one of the most annoying parts of gears 2, why can't they leave things alone. I seriously hate most of the changes to gears 2, but i am totally hooked now that 2 piecing is all but gone. oh happy days

Aladuf

Banned
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
If you use your thumb in a chainsaw duel, you lose. Does anyone else get upset when your chiansaw duel is interrupted? I get PISSED when someone intervenes...
And that is probably why I lose all of my chainsaw duels. Also, for all the guys that I usually play with... ALWAYS intervene in a chainsaw duel of mine of you actually see me in one.

Papercuts

Aladuf said:
And that is probably why I lose all of my chainsaw duels. Also, for all the guys that I usually play with... ALWAYS intervene in a chainsaw duel of mine of you actually see me in one.

I always use my thumb too, still have around a .8 win ratio with it according to the stats. When does it ever tie though? I've had it happen a few times apparently.

johnFkennedy said:
How was sniping in the first Gears easier? I never played the mp in that game.

The sniper's active reload was an instant down. I also hear some people say it was easier to get headshots but I never played it much myself.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Hey guys, if you ever find yourself stuck in the sniper trailer of death on Fuel Depot, just take cover against the inside wall for 30 seconds or so. The glitch should go away. HERO said taking cover gets rid of the weird no-weapon crab walk thing too. I haven't tried that out yet myself.

Aladuf said:
ALWAYS intervene in a chainsaw duel of mine of you actually see me in one.

Hell yes. I hate when people stand around waiting for the outcome of the duel, especially when I lose the majority of them :lol

RSTEIN

PXG said:
However, in a lot of ways, the game is reduced to staying behind cover, relying on the Lancer/ HB and 'nade tags, hoping someone is dumb enough to rush you. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun. The game will get stale and boring really fast because of that.

I hear you. Man, I am officially done with Ruins. It used to be my favourite map. It's awesome playing with the guys because we set all these elaborate traps and shit. But I played the thing like 5 times yesterday and the matches took FOREVER. It's just two teams sitting on two ends of the map in stalemate hell. Before the update, at least guys would try to run down the bridge or the sides (knowing they could two piece+shoot). Now the map has turned into an epic lancer/hammerbust pissing war. Now the guys know they cant charge down the middle hoping to two-peice+shoot you.

Aladuf

Banned
johnFkennedy said:
How was sniping in the first Gears easier? I never played the mp in that game.
Blindfires are a piece of cake to nail, popshots (jumping around and then pulling a shot off in no time) are doable, and the speed of the game helps.

Someone mentioned the sniper active downs, which is there but I don't use that shit. It was incredibly annoying.

birdman

RSTEIN said:
Hell yes. I hate when people stand around waiting for the outcome of the duel, especially when I lose the majority of them :lol

I'll do it sometimes because I don't want to steal a kill from an expert button masher.

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
If you weren't host, wasn't even worth picking it up. It's much better in Gears 2.
Why, because of lag? Leading shots is something that was so simple once you figured out that you had to do it. Same has to be done in Gears 2.

Llyranor said:
So, now that you've played them more, are the new maps good for Horde?
I've only played Horde on Under Hill but I thought it was great for it. I still think Courtyard would be good too. Grind Yard and Fuel Depot I just can't imagine being very good for Horde.

-PXG-

Llyranor said:

I played Horde with one other friend yesterday on Grindyard. We set up three boomshields at the top of tower's ramp. NOTHING got through. So, all we did was camp the top with HB, Boom and the Mulcher. :lol

Aladuf said:
Why, because of lag? Leading shots is something that was so simple once you figured out that you had to do it. Same has to be done in Gears 2.

The shot itself would lag or just wouldn't register most of the time either. Host side hit detection FTL :( I'm glad this is mostly fixed in Gears 2.

RSTEIN

Llyranor said:

I've only done 10 waves on all of them but I'd say they're great for Horde. I thought Grindyard would be really easy (holding the center tower) but, um, someone forgot to tell me they can spawn INSIDE the tower even when you're up there :lol Courtyard is awesome. Lots of room to run around and the mortar can reach the side spawn points. Underhill is cool and pretty frantic. Fuel Depot is good, but I think the weakest when it comes to horde mode.

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
The shot itself would lag or just wouldn't register most of the time either. Host side hit detection FTL :( I'm glad this is mostly fixed in Gears 2.
Well, it's not really fixed. You still have to lead shots and there's still problems with clearly sniping a person in the head and not having a headshot register (granted it's much better post patch).

cresto

RSTEIN said:
I hear you. Man, I am officially done with Ruins. It used to be my favourite map. It's awesome playing with the guys because we set all these elaborate traps and shit. But I played the thing like 5 times yesterday and the matches took FOREVER. It's just two teams sitting on two ends of the map in stalemate hell. Before the update, at least guys would try to run down the bridge or the sides (knowing they could two piece+shoot). Now the map has turned into an epic lancer/hammerbust pissing war. Now the guys know they cant charge down the middle hoping to two-peice+shoot you.

I hate teams like yours because all you do is camp the friggin' nades. When they said, "we are extending the nade respawn timer" i figured that meant they would show up just at the beginning of the round. I honestly believe nades ruin gears on practically every map.

I have a great time playing ruins because I don't bitch out and sit back. As long as you are clever enough to look for the nades and roll a lot you really won't have to camp. Yesterday, for instance, the team I was playing were just bum rushing us at the power weapon and were winning. Its all how YOU play it, not the other team

RSTEIN

PXG said:
I played Horde with one other friend yesterday on Grindyard. We set up three boomshields at the top of tower's ramp. NOTHING got through. So, all we did was camp the top with HB, Boom and the Mulcher.

Yeah... it sucks tho when you're the only one up there :D Then they spawn inside the tower.

ergo said:
I hate teams like yours because all you do is camp the friggin' nades. When they said, "we are extending the nade respawn timer" i figured that meant they would show up just at the beginning of the round. I honestly believe nades ruin gears on practically every map.

We don't camp the frag grenades. We wait for the team to pick up the scorcher and send 3 guys running down the middle. We plant smokes along the middle and wait at the end. They used to do this EVERY single round. There would be games where I would kill the SAME player 5 straight times using the same trap! TU3 has definitely made an impact on this (plus people learn too). I've noticed that even on maps like Blood Drive it's changed a bit. I forget who I was playing with but one game the opposing team just sat up and destroyed us with HB and Lancer shots. Same with Avalanche. TU3 has made a big impact.

Aladuf

Banned
Well fuck... I was going to make an elaborate point by screen capping my record (but basically the entire group's record) on Ruins to show that while our tactics may not be popular, they're effective. Thing is, I went to find it but for some reason Ruins and Hail have had their map-specific stats set to all zeros right now. :/

I did find out that the group of us are fucking great at Fuel Station. :lol

Here's the screen cap of that one since, damnit, I was all set to screen cap something! I will admit though, it's not a ton of matches played. :p

2laecmw.jpg

-PXG-

Aladuf said:
Well, it's not really fixed. You still have to lead shots and there's still problems with clearly sniping a person in the head and not having a headshot register (granted it's much better post patch).

I haven't had to lead them since TU3

Aladuf

Banned
-PXG- said:
I haven't had to lead them since TU3
I'm gonna guess that you're usually host in your matches. TU3 didn't magically make bullet lag go away, even the smallest amount of it that would affect the small lead of a sniper shot.

cresto

RSTEIN said:
Yeah... it sucks tho when you're the only one up there :D Then they spawn inside the tower.

We don't camp the frag grenades. We wait for the team to pick up the scorcher and send 3 guys running down the middle. We plant smokes along the middle and wait at the end. They used to do this EVERY single round. There would be games where I would kill the SAME player 5 straight times using the same trap! TU3 has definitely made an impact on this (plus people learn too). I've noticed that even on maps like Blood Drive it's changed a bit. I forget who I was playing with but one game the opposing team just sat up and destroyed us with HB and Lancer shots. Same with Avalanche. TU3 has made a big impact.
i agree, its made an impact on peoples play style (thank god for the delay) but maps like blood drive are still ruined by the smoke grenade. i really wish they would make it simply stun you instead of knock you off your feet. it isn't logical considering the ink doesnt do anything when it explodes near your feet.

whitehawk

Banned
Papercuts said:
Seriously? I can't STAND annex/koth on grind yard, it gets completly one sided by whoever gets the boomshot.
Aw come one. Maybe for KOTH, if the circle is where the boomshit is, but besides that, its perfect for annex and KOTH.

-PXG-

Aladuf said:
I'm gonna guess that you're usually host in your matches. TU3 didn't magically make bullet lag go away, even the smallest amount of it that would affect the small lead of a sniper shot.

Nope. I've played a lot of matches and probably have only gotten it three or four times. I simply aim and shoot. And BAM!!! Popped dome.

RSTEIN said:
HERO said taking cover gets rid of the weird no-weapon crab walk thing too. I haven't tried that out yet myself.
It didn't work for me last night. I sat in cover for at least a minute and nothing happened. It fucking sucks because it seems like that shit only happens to me now. Didn't you take a photo last night RJ?

ThirdEngine said:
It didn't work for me last night. I sat in cover for at least a minute and nothing happened. It fucking sucks because it seems like that shit only happens to me now. Didn't you take a photo last night RJ?

Sometimes You have to bounce in and out of cover a few times, but it works. This doesn't fix the no weapon/crabwalk glitch that happens when you spawn, just the one that happens when you pick up a weapon, or mantle over cover or a ledge.

RSTEIN

ThirdEngine said:

Yeah, I got a pic. I forgot to upload it. I will.

I can confirm that taking cover inside the sniper trailer fixes the problem. Just sit there for like 10 seconds and you can get out.

Sometimes You have to bounce in and out of cover a few times, but it works. This doesn't fix the no weapon/crabwalk glitch that happens when you spawn, just the one that happens when you pick up a weapon, or mantle over cover or a ledge.

Oh. He always gets spawn glitch.

Hootie

So ah, whenever I try to join public matches it suddenly says my Firewall is on or something, which I assume it means my NAT is strict.

Only problem is it used to be moderate but one day it magically changed.

I have some ancient D-Link wireless connection going to an equally ancient Belkin router...can anyone help me out to open up my NAT? I've been trying the past few days and I feel helpless.

Not sure why I'm asking in here but all I play now is GOW2 so I thought it was at least slightly proper. :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Hootie said:
So ah, whenever I try to join public matches it suddenly says my Firewall is on or something, which I assume it means my NAT is strict.

I have some ancient D-Link wireless connection going to an equally ancient Belkin router...can anyone help me out to open up my NAT? I've been trying the past few days and I feel helpless.

Not sure why I'm asking in here but all I play now is GOW2 so I thought it was at least slightly proper. :lol

Update the router's firmwire?

RSTEIN

Hootie said:

Same damn thing happened to me a while ago. I was playing Gears, got disconnected from a match, and then all my firewall settings were changed somehow. I shut off the 360 and went online again and it seemed to correct itself. I still get the warning "firewall too strict for play" when I switch from private to public matches but I just hit OK and I'm good to go.

Hootie

Domino Theory said:
Update the router's firmwire?

What effect will that have? I can't imagine updating would also open the NAT, though I may just be stupid

RSTEIN said:
Same damn thing happened to me a while ago. I was playing Gears, got disconnected from a match, and then all my firewall settings were changed somehow. I shut off the 360 and went online again and it seemed to correct itself. I still get the warning "firewall too strict for play" when I switch from private to public matches but I just hit OK and I'm good to go.

Yeah I get the message but when I join a match there is unbearable lag, though that assumes that I can even join a match. If I lag out of a game I can't join another unless I restart my 360.

whitehawk

Banned
Hootie said:
What effect will that have? I can't imagine updating would also open the NAT, though I may just be stupid

Yeah I get the message but when I join a match there is unbearable lag, though that assumes that I can even join a match. If I lag out of a game I can't join another unless I restart my 360.
Its pretty tricky. Well actually not really. There are some codes on XBox.com that you need to enter into your routers setting. That will open up some ports that your 360 uses, which will make your connection open. Mine used to be moderate, and that made it open.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
So quick question. Just bought the Snowblind Maps.

1) Do the maps appear on the normal rotation or do they only appear on that playlist? If its the later.... not worth it.

2) Do they give EXP in this playlist? I played an Annex game and didn't win a point and I had like 8000 :lol This is my first Annex game since TU3, don't know how this has changed.

whitehawk

Banned
Relix said:
So quick question. Just bought the Snowblind Maps.

1) Do the maps appear on the normal rotation or do they only appear on that playlist? If its the later.... not worth it.

2) Do they give EXP in this playlist? I played an Annex game and didn't win a point and I had like 8000 :lol This is my first Annex game since TU3, don't know how this has changed.
1. Yes they do, but not very much because not many people have the maps. So ya it happens, but rarely.

2. Yes they do, I dont know why you didnt get any points.

Top Bottom