• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Relix said:
So quick question. Just bought the Snowblind Maps.

1) Do the maps appear on the normal rotation or do they only appear on that playlist? If its the later.... not worth it.

2) Do they give EXP in this playlist? I played an Annex game and didn't win a point and I had like 8000 :lol This is my first Annex game since TU3, don't know how this has changed.

If you host a game and you attempt to (or accidentally) standby/lag switch other players (either your modem resets on its own at times like mine, or you do it on purpose), the game thinks you're cheating, so towards the end, with all the points in the world at your hands, you'll earn 0 XP for the game. I've had it happen to me a few times because my modem randomly resets at times, although updating my router's firmwire has significantly toned that down.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Domino Theory said:
If you host a game and you attempt to (or accidentally) standby/lag switch other players (either your modem resets on its own at times like mine, or you do it on purpose), the game thinks you're cheating, so towards the end, with all the points in the world at your hands, you'll earn 0 XP for the game. I've had it happen to me a few times because my modem randomly resets at times, although updating my router's firmwire has significantly toned that down.

Yeah I am pretty sure I was the host in that game, but I've never done a standby or lag switched anyone. Does this mean I will never be able to host again :lol

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Relix said:
Yeah I am pretty sure I was the host in that game, but I've never done a standby or lag switched anyone. Does this mean I will never be able to host again :lol

Could've been your modem resetting so fast that you didn't notice it, but other players did for a second.

Not sure about never hosting again, though. Because I was positive I wasn't going to be able to host games after the first time it happened, but sure enough, I got host a couple more times after. Hell, I got host twice yesterday (luckily, no modem resets :p).

I think after a few times, the system will say "fuck you" and ban you from hosting.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Domino Theory said:
Could've been your modem resetting so fast that you didn't notice it, but other players did for a second.

Not sure about never hosting again, though. Because I was positive I wasn't going to be able to host games after the first time it happened, but sure enough, I got host a couple more times after. Hell, I got host twice yesterday (luckily, no modem resets :p).

I think after a few times, the system will say "fuck you" and ban you from hosting.

Oh good. Yeah that was some weird ass stuff. I had 8000 points and it said 0XP. Almost cried :lol Oh well... just won a Warzone game and a Guardian game on Fuel Depot. Dig the new style of FD =D

Hootie

Wow WTF I actually had an only semi-laggy match of Horde on Day One and we got up to Wave 26 with no problems...and my fuckin' disc grinded for a second and slowed down until I got the "Disc Unreadable" message.

Fucking shitty ass hardware

I want my 360 to RROD just so I can get a new one; it literally eats my discs. 75% of my games lock up after slowing down from scratches given by the Xbox. Might have to do with the fact that I've had it since July '06. :lol

whitehawk

Banned
Hootie said:
Wow WTF I actually had an only semi-laggy match of Horde on Day One and we got up to Wave 26 with no problems...and my fuckin' disc grinded for a second and slowed down until I got the "Disc Unreadable" message.

Fucking shitty ass hardware

I want my 360 to RROD just so I can get a new one; it literally eats my discs. 75% of my games lock up after slowing down from scratches given by the Xbox. Might have to do with the fact that I've had it since July '06. :lol
If it scratched your discs, then I think microsoft will replace them. Also I guess you could put a towel around your 360 and force rrod.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I am officially in the cool clan.

1YCLiGJhbC8wCRt0GltTWTJEL2FjaC8wLzNEAAAAAOfn5-pXl1Y=.jpg

Hootie

Whew, well I fixed my NAT problem :D

Downloaded the Snowblind Pack and played some Horde with friends on Grind Yard and all I can say is that the snow effects are fucking awesome! I only got to play on that level but tomorrow I'm going to try all the others.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Lag really is a different beast after TU3. On the whole, I'd say that lag is a bit better after TU3. However, now I get these weird lag spikes during matches. During these spikes, my character will vibrate a bit then return to normal. Sometimes tho I'm basically out of the round. This happened to Falagard on Fuel Depot tonight. This never happened before TU3.

DoomGyver

RSTEIN said:
Lag really is a different beast after TU3. On the whole, I'd say that lag is a bit better after TU3. However, now I get these weird lag spikes during matches. During these spikes, my character will vibrate a bit then return to normal. Sometimes tho I'm basically out of the round. This happened to Falagard on Fuel Depot tonight. This never happened before TU3.
Sorta like in COD4 when you lose connection to the host for a second and your character jitters around uncontrollably?

Owzers

I'm having a lot of problems with gears 2 lately. It's hard to get into a match, and every match so far has a slow-motion type constant lag without lag spikes. I was sitting around for 15-20 minutes trying to get into a match before giving up tonight. :(

Good matches tonight. I could be wrong but the only time I remember losing was our first game on Under Hill. It felt like we dominated the whole time.

yeah we had a good run. some of those teams got pretty donged on.

DOLLAR BILL YO I'LL PAY TEN FOR A MAP PACK
WHY NOT
I LOVE GETTIN KICKED IN THE NUT SACK

cresto

I like the new maps but I remembered playing them earlier why I never touch the combustible maps. The fact that I am forced into a KotH or Annex match drives me INSANE. I can't believe people want to waste a good 30+ minutes basically running, nade chucking, and getting chainsawed just to lose. I honestly can't stand these game types and don't understand why people enjoy them.

Seriously, where is there fun in getting knocked off your feet because you are forced to go to a specific spot on the map just to get up and instantly be chainsawed by 3 enemies? WHERES THE VALUE PEOPLE JESUS

/end rant

Not bitching because I lose (i actually won once, but it wasnt satisfying). I like execution/warzone because it is usually quick and fast paced. The last thing I want to to get stuck on some shit ass euro connection while trying to fend off all this fucking BULL. JESUS

/really done with rant

Sad, really sad on my part -_-

zaidr

Mr. Durden said:
So are the new maps worth the money? (this is coming from someone who thought the Jedi Temple DLC for TFU was totally worth it)

I say totally worth it. But I'm partial to snow maps, being a Canadian.

RSTEIN

ThirdEngine said:
Good matches tonight. I could be wrong but the only time I remember losing was our first game on Under Hill. It felt like we dominated the whole time.

warbegins said:
yeah we had a good run. some of those teams got pretty donged on.

Yeah, we did kick some ass. I had an off night. I got lots of points - just couldn't kill anyone! My shotgun felt like it had 50% of normal power. That one game on Underhill I actually ran out of shotgun bullets. After the first round I had close to 200 points without a kill :lol

Underhill is a tricky very tricky map. Some teams will rush the middle and it's a total clusterfuck. Some will run to the mortar. Some will stay inside. It's hard to get a consistent strategy going.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
If you have lag when facing people from your continent or NAT problems, these are the ports that you have to open up in your router to get the proper NAT rating to play properly...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

In fact, it's the first thing to do if you have lag if haven't done it yet, as NAT problems affect everything you do online, some greater than others...

Find your router in this list to begin opening/forwarding ports:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

How to set up a static IP for the 360 (based on pre-NXE Dashboard though):

http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm

I still don't have a worthy internet line so I decided to play lots of bot matches with annex rules so I can respawn, man what fun, the cpu beat us 2 out of 3 times.

When there is no lag involved and no quitters the game is golden.

Shins

Banned
Skilotonn said:
If you have lag when facing people from your continent or NAT problems, these are the ports that you have to open up in your router to get the proper NAT rating to play properly...
Can't we cut through the red tape and just send them the special glasses? Aladuf has an extra pair laying around, I'm sure.

Aladuf

Banned
Those all work but I like this one because when I see it, I imagine Luke Smith just shouting "MARIAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" every time. :lol

REV 09

finally beat the game on insane last night..played it solo too. This was my first time playing entirely through either Gears campaign alone. The shotgun and chainsaw are useless on insane...if you're close enough to use them then you're begging to get taken out. Once i shifted to a more conservative playstyle i breezed through the game. The AI also did a competent job and held their own fairly well. I only died because of Dom doing something stupid about 3-4 times throughout the entire game...not bad. I actually think that Epic increased the amount of hitpoints that your squadmates can take before going down in Gears 2 compared to Gears 1. It also helps that your teammates revive each other.

anyways, Gears 2's campaign is fuck-awesome. good times.

I played one game of Submission, and man, it sucked so bad.

2 people dropped from my team as soon as we entered the lobby, and when the game started, I noticed that a player on my team was AFK. For the entire game on Under Hill, the other team camped both spawn points, and planted nades everywhere. Not only that, but everytime I ventured out of the spawn points, a guy was waiting with the Torque.

Gah

cresto

NubCakes09 said:
I played one game of Submission, and man, it sucked so bad.

2 people dropped from my team as soon as we entered the lobby, and when the game started, I noticed that a player on my team was AFK. For the entire game on Under Hill, the other team camped both spawn points, and planted nades everywhere. Not only that, but everytime I ventured out of the spawn points, a guy was waiting with the Torque.

Gah
In principle the gametype seems like it would be loads of fun but it actually is nothing but frustration. Maybe it would be cool if you were in an entire party with everyone communicating, but random people are typically morons

RSTEIN

Just browsing the Official Gears forums (to see if Epic has responded to the new glitches) and one dude was playing with the Epic team and they said that more Gears 1 maps are on the way. Here.

RSTEIN

:lol Fuck those forums are insane. Check out this exchange between a user and joeGraf (wrote the network code for Gears 1 and 2):

KillahDude said:
When I finished the game I got 0 EXP and have yet to get host since that match.

joeGraf said:
That's the standby detection code in action. Thanks for reporting it.

:lol ownage

Top Bottom