• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Hootie

Full Recovery said:
Hey look at me i can shoot darts in your general direction and get lucky every so often. I am so cool.

:puts on glasses

AND you can do it while some shit-tastic rap/Korn song is playing!

jax (old)

Banned
Finally got round to finish/start gears2 despite owning it since launch. Overall score for sp = 7.5

The game feels like gears 1.5 and the end game was terrible. Somehow I thought gears had more interesting boss fights and combat sequences. Ramm was better than skorge and monoluging while the queen is standi g there was fucking lame. The engine ue3 is not holding up even with the improvements yhey made to it. Some sequences looks great but others looked funny. Disappointing as hell ending and WTF finale.

Had More fun with other new releases (re5)

dolemite

Jax said:
Finally got round to finish/start gears2 despite owning it since launch. Overall score for sp = 7.5

The game feels like gears 1.5 and the end game was terrible. Somehow I thought gears had more interesting boss fights and combat sequences. Ramm was better than skorge and monoluging while the queen is standi g there was fucking lame. The engine ue3 is not holding up even with the improvements yhey made to it. Some sequences looks great but others looked funny. Disappointing as hell ending and WTF finale.

The story in gears 2 is a complete joke. The first one is leagues above it, no questions.

dolemite said:
The story in gears 2 is a complete joke. The first one is leagues above it, no questions.

I like how towards the end of gears 2 Baird just comes out of nowhere and is like,"Marcus we lost the light mass bomb". The very definition of Deus Ex Machina right there.

Feindflug

Jax said:

:lol :lol :lol

JB1981

I don't think that comment is all that objectionable. UE is best suited for tight, linear, in-your-face game design. It starts to reveal its flaws when you try to go big and up the scale. Capcom's MTM Framework Engine is far more versatile (see: RE5, Lost Planet).

JB1981 said:
I don't think that comment is all that objectionable. UE is best suited for tight, linear, in-your-face game design. It starts to reveal its flaws when you try to go big and up the scale. Capcom's MTM Framework Engine is far more versatile (see: RE5, Lost Planet).

I don't agree with this; there are plenty of times when the game has a really big set-piece, and it looks awesome.

mattso

almost up to level 15 in experience. I have some matches where I feel like I've gotten pretty decent and others where I still get destroyed.

If I may ask, what's up with everyone yelling about people being noobs anytime they get chainsawed? I mean... I guess if that's all someone relies on.

LowParry

mattso said:
almost up to level 15 in experience. I have some matches where I feel like I've gotten pretty decent and others where I still get destroyed.

If I may ask, what's up with everyone yelling about people being noobs anytime they get chainsawed? I mean... I guess if that's all someone relies on.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. :D

cresto

mattso said:
I mean I don't really care.. the people who yell seem to be the ones who yell about everything.
I've noticed this too. Even if I chainsaw their guy once, I automatically get flamed and called a chainsawing noob. People on gears take this shit way to seriously.

For instance, I somehow was chosen as host (this is why the host system sucks so bad) when my connection is sub 3 mbps with constant lag spikes, and of course my team won. One of the opposing team members sent me a message saying he was going to "report" me for having a bad connection. It ended up being a small argument as I told him I had no control over it.

People need a break from video games when you take the time to get some of your friends to also "report" me for something I can't do anything about.

Sad times people, sad times.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Man, I just died in the weirdest way yesterday. Some of my friends and I were playing Execution on Avalanche, I was the last one alive. So I knockdown this guy and go to pick him, then a couple seconds later the match ends and it said I suicided.

After that my friend said that the character I downed had picked me up, but on my screen everything looked normal.

wtf!!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Gig said:
Man, I just died in the weirdest way yesterday. wtf?

Here's the reality: the game is like God. It works in mysterious ways. Sometimes you feel that God hates you and gets pleasure from punishing you. Sometimes you feel God is great and you're thankful to be alive. At the end of the day, you really don't know how God works. You aren't really sure if He loves you or hates you. More often than not you aren't really sure what the fuck is going on. But for some reason you decide to attend church and pray everyday, sometimes for 4-5 straight hours. Why? At the end of it all, amidst the crazy ups and downs, the pure joy and pure rage, you just appreciate the fucked up spectacle of it all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just got Beat the Meatflag and Battle-Tested Gear at the same time...and I started the match as an early 24. :lol

It was such a ridiculously long match of Submission, I ended up with 12000 points(which was a ton of exp, I think 5,400 or so) and got both caps for my team, each round lasted atleast 25 minutes.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
RSTEIN said:
Here's the reality: the game is like God. It works in mysterious ways. Sometimes you feel that God hates you and gets pleasure from punishing you. Sometimes you feel God is great and you're thankful to be alive. At the end of the day, you really don't know how God works. You aren't really sure if He loves you or hates you. More often than not you aren't really sure what the fuck is going on. But for some reason you decide to attend church and pray everyday, sometimes for 4-5 straight hours. Why? At the end of it all, amidst the crazy ups and downs, the pure joy and pure rage, you just appreciate the fucked up spectacle of it all.

Well if Gears is like a god, I think it might be time for me to convert to another religion.

Shins

Banned
Or sell the game and become an atheist. Gives a nice boost to your feeling of self-importance and you get to heckle the ignorant fools still paying homage to their silly Idol.

I wonder if there's anyone in this thread you could ask who's already taken this path.

Thrakier

Jax said:

Exactly my feelings, except the RE5 part. RE5 is a 7.5 AT BEST but gears of war 2 is like almost an 8. And I agree with your comment about the UE engine. It didn't age very weel, they need something new. Skyboxes are nice though.

Aladuf

Banned
Gig said:
After that my friend said that the character I downed had picked me up, but on my screen everything looked normal.

That is a strange one, it happened to me once right after the patch came out and it was quite the "wtf" moment.

jax (old)

Banned
JB1981 said:

UE3.5 comment.

anything, there's something that's meant to be shiny, it looks great. Yes, some of the setpieces (collasping jacinto) was fuck amazing as was the undercity lead up to the queen with the krull-esque art design. The worm belly sequence was amazing. Slimy/wet/shiny. I do think UE3 just stands out when it dark although sometimes, objects don't look integrated into the overall lighting (brumak in the final seq uence looked off). The flame thrower + burn effect was sort of lame.

However for the 1st couple of chapters leading to that (daylight?), the game looked horrible to me. On a 52" lcd, it looked unpolished and sort of ugly. The whole forest/cowboy truck sequence (ACT II) was ugly as well. xfrog trees and ugly day/lighitng. It was really underwhelming to me. And that's why despite owning the game since launch, I couldn't get into it.

while have access to a keyboard.

Thoughts.
vehicle bits were extremely lame. The icy lake/vehicle sequence was way inferior to the krill vehicular/city segment in gears one.

also, while I've completed Gears 1, the incidental unlockables related to gears 1 achievement points didn't unlock for me. Why? WTF?

+ on the scoring of gears 2 vs RE5

I started off at the end game thinking that RE5' score was 7.5/8 but then game replays/unlockables + mercenies + online co-op does push it past Gears2.

cresto

DubloSeven said:
I just got my Xbox back, and updated Gears of War 2. Yeaaah, 3 laggy matches in a row.

Epic! Epic! Epic!
I've figured out that the game isn't really worth playing unless you have a party or at least one other person to play with.

Shins

Banned
DubloSeven said:
I just got my Xbox back, and updated Gears of War 2. Yeaaah, 3 laggy matches in a row.

Epic! Epic! Epic!
10xd6w6.gif

So hows the Gears 2 scene? I haven't played since before the first map pack but in general I have enjoyed Gears and Gears 2 multiplayer in the past. Obviously the lag and glitching frustrated me, but I can usually deal with it. So with the new update and the new maps hows the whole package doing at this point?

JB1981

ToyMachine228 said:
So hows the Gears 2 scene? I haven't played since before the first map pack but in general I have enjoyed Gears and Gears 2 multiplayer in the past. Obviously the lag and glitching frustrated me, but I can usually deal with it. So with the new update and the new maps hows the whole package doing at this point?

it's still gears of war that's for sure!

Ricker

Finally started playing this game this weekend and it's amazing...did a good chunk of the beginning,on normal,with a friend and then solo..the game was very easy so far on normal,solo,up to the Maria part,when Jack is looking for her and you sort of get ambushed,can't beat that part yet,died 5 times in a row and called it a night heh...loved the inside the worm part,the hail section was great also and the driving section was done a lot better then in the first one,great stuff.

Played multiplayer for about an hour for the first time in quite a while. Also played some Shadowrun and Halo 3. I think I'll be playing some more Gears 2 online going forward. Definitely had fun and I like most of the changes I saw. Also generally ran into less lag and glitches. You will definitely see me online on Gears 2 more in the near future I think.

-PXG-

I was lucky enough to be host twice in a row. Both times I was 14 and 2. :lol One round, I took out the entire team with my shotty. Host is just dumb. If you're good at Gears, and you're the host, you CANNOT be stopped. YOU ARE GOD. You can do whatever the fuck you want. You just point that shotty at anyone, and BOOM!....Dead!

mattso

had some really fun matches tonight

then some where I really hate my internet because I get incomplete match shit 3 times in a row when I definitely completed them all

cresto

NubCakes09 said:
Battlefield Bad Company?
ooo oo! add me plzzz and i will totally be down to play! BF:BC is so amazing when you got a squad of people working together. blissful happiness!

GT: FREIGHT TRAIN68

OMFG PLZ

RSTEIN

NubCakes09 said:
Battlefield Bad Company?

I bought Battlefield when it came out and had a lot of fun. I just found it really repetitive after a while with only one game mode. I really wanted a pure team deathmatch mode.

May go back to CoD 4 or CoD WaW. The problem is there aren't that many great multiplayer games out there right now. Options are kind of limited.

RSTEIN said:
I bought Battlefield when it came out and had a lot of fun. I just found it really repetitive after a while with only one game mode. I really wanted a pure team deathmatch mode.

May go back to CoD 4 or CoD WaW. The problem is there aren't that many great multiplayer games out there right now. Options are kind of limited.

Red Faction: Guerilla! .... in a couple months.

I've been in the same boat lately, waiting for a big multiplayer game to sink into. I still play COD4 every now and again, but otherwise....

Shins said:
well you know what you could do...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lurk1f.jpg[IMG]

Can you really pass up the ability to aim in [I]all [/I]the cardinal directions?[/QUOTE]
It has two subtitles. [I]Two.[/I]

RSTEIN

Shins said:
well you know what you could do...

Can you really pass up the ability to aim in all the cardinal directions?

Oh god, that game gave me nightmares. What a disaster.

cresto

Lately, when I play by myself, I end up getting host almost every time. Now, most people would be ecstatic to have this happen to them, but for me my school's internet connection is constantly fluctuating causing bad lag spikes all the time. I have learned to play with it now, but I doubt it is at all enjoyable when I host. Why is this? I guess it might have something to do with the lag spikes giving me host automatically (similar to the host bridging?). This really only started happening after the patch.

Any one have a guess as to why? I feel bad and don't really want to host since it actually hurts you more (skill wise).

Edit: Nubcakes, maybe we can hit this up late tonight, say 10ish pfc?

ergo said:
Lately, when I play by myself, I end up getting host almost every time. Now, most people would be ecstatic to have this happen to them, but for me my school's internet connection is constantly fluctuating causing bad lag spikes all the time. I have learned to play with it now, but I doubt it is at all enjoyable when I host. Why is this? I guess it might have something to do with the lag spikes giving me host automatically (similar to the host bridging?). This really only started happening after the patch.

Any one have a guess as to why? I feel bad and don't really want to host since it actually hurts you more (skill wise).

Edit: Nubcakes, maybe we can hit this up late tonight, say 10ish pfc?

I'll be on at 10 EST after Lost.

Anywhoo, I still fucking hate the fact that I can't choose what game modes to play on maps that I paid for. Annex, King of the Hill, and Submission are all terrible gametypes.

Zutroy

I don't know if it's my internet, my console, or Gears, but every three or four games since the update, my Live connection will get disconnect and I'll be kicked out the game just before the end.

I don't think it's my internet connection, because the internet on my laptop never seems to get this, but maybe that's just because it goes down and back up quickly, so I don't see the effect?

Anyone else having this happen to them?

Also, anyone else think the grenades need to get fixed? I can throw a grenade and it'll blow up right at the persons feet, or tag them and they'll just be downed, however if one blows up a fair bit away from me, I'm in a hundred different pieces. WTF is that about?

Top Bottom