• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

CRD90 said:
I don't know if it's my internet, my console, or Gears, but every three or four games since the update, my Live connection will get disconnect and I'll be kicked out the game just before the end.

I don't think it's my internet connection, because the internet on my laptop never seems to get this, but maybe that's just because it goes down and back up quickly, so I don't see the effect?

Anyone else having this happen to them?

Also, anyone else think the grenades need to get fixed? I can through a grenade and it'll blow up right at the persons feet, or tag them and they'll just be downed, however if one blows up a fair bit away from me, I'm in a hundred different pieces. WTF is that about?
Annex is probably my favourite game mode.

Shoogoo

NubCakes09 said:
I'll be on at 10 EST after Lost.

Anywhoo, I still fucking hate the fact that I can't choose what game modes to play on maps that I paid for. Annex, King of the Hill, and Submission are all terrible gametypes.

Does Annex receive a lot of hate here? I find it fun myself.

And could you develop that thing with the DLC maps, I read it here but I still didn't get it. Why can't you choose the modes on those maps? Is that a glitch? A bad move from Epic? I'm about to buy it so I'd like to know.

web01

Shins said:
well you know what you could do...

FarcryPredatorInstincts.jpg

Can you really pass up the ability to aim in all the cardinal directions?

Thats a good game there is still a lot of awesome player created maps being made.
And people actually do still play it though not many.

zaidr

Shoogoo said:

And could you develop that thing with the DLC maps, I read it here but I still didn't get it. Why can't you choose the modes on those maps? Is that a glitch? A bad move from Epic? I'm about to buy it so I'd like to know.

I think its a good move, to have all the map pack owners playing together. Its a much larger group of players to matchmake from, so you get into a game quick. I think they decided against splitting up the player base between game types, when its already a smaller portion of the main player-base (those who bought maps).

Shoogoo

zaidr said:
I think its a good move, to have all the map pack owners playing together. Its a much larger group of players to matchmake from, so you get into a game quick. I think they decided against splitting up the player base between game types, when its already a smaller portion of the main player-base (those who bought maps).

So it goes faster but you can't choose what mode you're signing for. Thanks I got it.

Anybody else finds the balancing of teams a little rickety? Big numbers on one side, not so big on the other side.

shpankey

not an idiot
CRD90 said:
Also, anyone else think the grenades need to get fixed? I can throw a grenade and it'll blow up right at the persons feet, or tag them and they'll just be downed, however if one blows up a fair bit away from me, I'm in a hundred different pieces. WTF is that about?
Sounds like the classic problem of hidden lag [games that use prediction code].

Shoogoo said:

As other people have said, each map pack has it's own playlist. Because of that, every game type can come up, and that sucks for me, because I don't like Annex or Submission. I can see why someone could like Annex, but almost every time I have played it, it turns into a big clusterfuck of smoke grenades and frag grenades. Oh, and not to mention the game slows down a ton on Annex.

Shoogoo

NubCakes09 said:
As other people have said, each map pack has it's own playlist. Because of that, every game type can come up, and that sucks for me, because I don't like Annex or Submission. I can see why someone could like Annex, but almost every time I have played it, it turns into a big clusterfuck of smoke grenades and frag grenades. Oh, and not to mention the game slows down a ton on Annex.

I see, thanks. Now I'm not sure I'm going to buy the dlc anymore.

Oh and by the way what's your opinion on the combustible map pack?

Shoogoo said:
I see, thanks. Now I'm not sure I'm going to buy the dlc anymore.

Oh and by the way what's your opinion on the combustible map pack?

Well, I don't mean to stir you away from buying the Snowblind maps, because the maps themselves are very good. If you are getting tired of playing the same old maps, I'd say get the maps, just know that you will have to play Annex and Submission.

I can't comment on the Combustible maps because I never bought them, but if you are going to get only one map pack, you may want to get the Snowblind maps for more people should be playing them.

birdman

NubCakes09 said:
I can't comment on the Combustible maps because I never bought them, but if you are going to get only one map pack, you may want to get the Snowblind maps for more people should be playing them.

Also take into account that the Snowblind maps are just plain better.

Shoogoo

NubCakes09 said:
Well, I don't mean to stir you away from buying the Snowblind maps, because the maps themselves are very good. If you are getting tired of playing the same old maps, I'd say get the maps, just know that you will have to play Annex and Submission.

I kind of like Annex :D so I guess I'll get the Snowblind pack, thank you. I think I never played submission lol

I didn't read through the thread, but WTF is up with the incomplete match bullshit at the end of a finished game??? I've had it at least 5 times, at - 1500 points each time. Talk about frustrating :/ There's also times I won't get my points, and get some random negative value as well.

WTF Epic???

Shoogoo

Vustadumas said:
I didn't read through the thread, but WTF is up with the incomplete match bullshit at the end of a finished game??? I've had it at least 5 times, at - 1500 points each time. Talk about frustrating :/ There's also times I won't get my points, and get some random negative value as well.

WTF Epic???

I thought that only happened if you left the previous match?

Nope, I always finish my matches, but still get the incomplete game shit :/ I really don't care that much about the rank stuff, but if I'm gonna play, it may as well correctly register :lol

Vustadumas said:

WTF Epic???

I know that if the host leaves a game, you lose points for that game. Maybe that has happened every time? It's unlikely, but it's one possibility.

Shins

Banned
NubCakes09 said:
just know that you will have to play Annex and Submission.
I was able to play Execution or Warzone three-fourths of the time. I'm not a big fan of the non-Elimination modes, but with that kind of balance, it was much less of a hassle.

I can only imagine how terrible it would be to play public matches without four other people to vote for the 'right' choice. I never want to experience this game playing by myself. It would be like kicking myself in the groin with a steel-toed boot. Kinky, admittedly, but it will only end in pain.

Shins said:
I was able to play Execution or Warzone three-fourths of the time. I'm not a big fan of the non-Elimination modes, but with that kind of balance, it was much less of a hassle.

I can only imagine how terrible it would be to play public matches without four other people to vote for the 'right' choice. I never want to experience this game playing by myself. It would be like kicking myself in the groin with a steel-toed boot. Kinky, admittedly, but it will only end in pain.

Lately I've been playing the Snowblind playlist by myself (not a lot of my friends have it) and it seems I get a territory game type 3/4's of the time, and as you can imagine, it sucks with randoms.

I was playing a different shooter the other day and they had a sort of King of the hill/Annex game type. But the control zones in that game are extremely large, thus making grenade spam far less effective. I was wondering why other games don't do this, COD, Halo, Gears, all have such tight control zones that you just lob a grenade in blindly and at the very least you are forcing someone to move somewhere they don't want to be. Open it up and lobbing grenades blindly won't help you as much, and the zone will be a little harder to defend to balance it out.

Captain N

I'm looking for some people who still play online! My GT is Darkwing Tag. Feel free to add me...I just bought the new map pack too.

Shins

Banned
29n84ep.jpg

I'm trying to get back into this, but I tried to get into a game several times tonight but gave up after staring at the matchmaking screen for too long each time. Wasn't this all fixed? Is it just me? A fluke occurrence?

Shoogoo

PedroLumpy said:
I'm trying to get back into this, but I tried to get into a game several times tonight but gave up after staring at the matchmaking screen for too long each time. Wasn't this all fixed? Is it just me? A fluke occurrence?

Matchmaking is pretty quick for me. You always had problems? Maybe it could be related to your NAT?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
I wish Epic would balance the maps. I don't know why they feel the need to add a mortar, mulcher, flamethrower (remove stopping power or make its range shorter), torque bow, boomshot and grenades on almost every single map. :(

Feindflug

birdman said:
Also take into account that the Snowblind maps are just plain better.

I tried to download the Snowblind map pack even though I was able to download the Combustible Pack yesterday just fine but I couldn't because the content is not available in my current location...I want Fuel Depot dammit! :(

Domino Theory said:
I wish Epic would balance the maps. I don't know why they feel the need to add a mortar, mulcher, flamethrower (remove stopping power or make its range shorter), torque bow, boomshot and grenades on almost every single map. :(

This is why I do not like River at all; too many power weapons.

Llyranor

Well, I'm kind of glad I never touched the PvP. I still absolutely love Horde mode with buddies. It definitely doesn't feel repetitive to me, and likely won't until we can beat the higher waves in Insane.

-PXG-

Had nothing but smoke grenade pussies and two piecing bitches last night. Had a grand ole time....At least the connections were good.

Hootie

Llyranor said:
Well, I'm kind of glad I never touched the PvP. I still absolutely love Horde mode with buddies. It definitely doesn't feel repetitive to me, and likely won't until we can beat the higher waves in Insane.

I feel the same way. I've yet to play 1 round of PvP and I don't think I'm missing out on too much. Horde + Coop Campaign is all I need.

Shoogoo said:
Matchmaking is pretty quick for me. You always had problems? Maybe it could be related to your NAT?

Typically I'm fine for most games, Halo matchmaking times occasionally take an unacceptably long time. But my connection times are quick for the other shooters that I play. Never had a problem in Gears 1, of course that was server lists

Shoogoo said:

Okay wtf do I need to do. I just spent all night again sporadically trying to get into a match and only got connected 3 times total, just to have everyone choose a gametype I don't play.

I was surprised at the patience of other players though, after staring at the matchmaking screen for several minutes I was about ready to claw my eyes out, but people wouldn't start leaving for another minute or so.

Lastly is there a way to get playlist populations?

draven

On a positive note, I've been having a blast with Gears recently. The new ranking system, faster matchmaking, and bots replacing quitters have really improved the experience.

bimet

I still can't "adapt" to the new smokes. I go into a match with the most uplifting, positive attitude a sane person could have, but always end up pissed at all the assholes that camp around tagged corners :'{ Other than that, and aside from the occasional pairing with foreign hosts, the game is not as bad as it was.

On another note, if you got someone you've been wanting to remove but don't have the heart to kindly tell them to fuck off, invite them to a Gears match you're hosting. You're guaranteed to upset them by killing them with ease in no time. Add a little pistol whipping just to be safe of course. I swear, this game is one of the best tools around to break up "friendships". :lol Or maybe I should start playing with people who know better than to place blame on the host because, you know, SOMEONE HAS TO HOST!! /rant

Are there more than three people on here who still play this regularly?

cresto

3 major problems I hope they fix:
1. shotgun delay (confirmed?). I notice it a lot now. Some times when holding down the trigger button there is some sort of delay in your gun actually firing. This needs to be 1:1

2. lag glitch. This seems to pop up now since the TU3...basically your player will lag out during the round and won't be able to run or shoot, basically getting stuck to one position.

3. mortar misfiring. It seems that sometimes when you launch a mortar shot out, it acts as if you blind fired it, even if holding the left trigger.

Anything thing else is stupid BS.

whitehawk

Banned
So I played gears 2 at a friends house, but we didnt have live, and he doesn't own the game. This means I was able to melee after I was running. It was wonderful. Epic is retarded for removing that ability.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
whitehawk said:
So I played gears 2 at a friends house, but we didnt have live, and he doesn't own the game. This means I was able to melee after I was running. It was wonderful. Epic is retarded for removing that ability.

Mmm, no. I don't want two-piecers/chainsawers running up to me with that shit. Although, I don't understand why they added a delay to the shooting-after-roadie-run, but melee, I understand.

bimet

ergo said:
1. shotgun delay (confirmed?). I notice it a lot now. Some times when holding down the trigger button there is some sort of delay in your gun actually firing. This needs to be 1:1
Yes. Pressing the aim trigger then immediately firing ["quick aiming" to allocate a better shot on someone] results in a slight delay even as host. Bullshit :{
ergo said:
3. mortar misfiring. It seems that sometimes when you launch a mortar shot out, it acts as if you blind fired it, even if holding the left trigger.
Not only that, but not firing is sometimes an issue as well. I think it happens if you active reload + quickly aim to launch a new.
ergo said:
Anything thing else is stupid BS.
Nah, there's still the Pavilion go through wall glitch, a character spawning with no weapons, Skorge air glitch, River smoke knockout under the mortar bridge and others I probably forgot.
whitehawk said:
Definitely BUT, having less two piecers is certainly nice. I think the melee stunt would've been a nicer fix rather than slowing down the game further.

whitehawk

Banned
bimet said:
Definitely BUT, having less two piecers is certainly nice. I think the melee stunt would've been a nicer fix rather than slowing down the game further.
Sure two piecing sucks when it happens to you, but its awesome when you pull it off. It also happens to suck when you get hit by a torque bow when the guy is so far away, what is this, get rid of the torque bow.

I hate dodging people and then getting screwed because I can shoot or melee. Way too unrealistic.

bimet

whitehawk said:
Sure two piecing sucks when it happens to you, but its awesome when you pull it off. It also happens to suck when you get hit by a torque bow when the guy is so far away, what is this, get rid of the torque bow.

I hate dodging people and then getting screwed because I can shoot or melee. Way too unrealistic.
What the hell? That's not even remotely similar! Someone sticking another person with the torque from a distance takes some skill and doesn't happen often. Someone tapping on the B button in every possible situation because they can't aim for shit, and the other player be unable to do anything about it, can be done by my 7 year old nephew. In Gears 1, two piecing meant pulling it off only when it'd be safe to do so because you ran the risk of getting stunt if hurt and therefore wasn't as prevalent as it used to be on this game.

I also don't see how eating somebody's bullets, be able to run towards them and melee them it's totally realistic.

ergo said:
this is probably the worst aspect of the game. instant shotgun is why host has such a smooth feel to it. that, and the fact that when your bullets draw fucking blood from an enemy it actually means something.

client-side hit detection, do you hear me Epic?

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I've been on a nice Gears 2 break, playing Left 4 Dead and CoD 5. As much shit as CoD 5 gets around here, it's sooooo refreshing to play a game with passable netcode. It's nice not to say FUCK THAT after every time I die. When I die it's because I'm being stupid, not because my mortar glitched out or my shotgun decided to stop working.

Shins

Banned
bimet said:
Are there more than three people on here who still play this regularly?
The old folk have gone away, and foreigners do not like to live there. French-Canadians have tried it, Italians have tried it, and the Poles have come and departed. It is not because of anything that can be seen or heard or handled, but because of something that is imagined. The place is not good for imagination, and does not bring restful dreams at night.

cresto

RSTEIN said:
I've been on a nice Gears 2 break, playing Left 4 Dead and CoD 5. As much shit as CoD 5 gets around here, it's sooooo refreshing to play a game with passable netcode. It's nice not to say FUCK THAT after every time I die. When I die it's because I'm being stupid, not because my mortar glitched out or my shotgun decided to stop working.
I wish you could play either of this game without the annoying motar shower and helicopter/dogs.

That would honestly make the game so much more enjoyable. Try playing hardcore and then get absolutely dominated by the helicopter since you die practically with 1 shot.

I bet epic is done with fixing gears 2 after this next DLC crap they put out. I bet they realize there is so much more wrong with it that putting more time into it wont be worth while. I hope they prove me wrong but it just seems like there are more and more problems popping up all the time.

Top Bottom