• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I see the ignorant comments like Epic only cares about the money are still coming huh.

Anyways, Epic really just needs to do something with Mexico, because it seems no matter where you are, even in the US, there is insane lag against their host - a Mexico, Brazil, or Australian-hosted match are the only times where the game has ridiculous lag for me...

Block them to only play against people in their country, never have them be host, I dunno...

whitehawk

Banned
-PXG- said:
I rarely get laggy matches anymore. In fact, I get host half the time.
Same here actually. I love being host. I remember one time I killed two guys with one shotgun bulllet, and they were about 5 and 10 feet away :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Zezboob said:
xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Probably the smartest thing I've ever seen you post... :lol

Is it that time of the month when you'll claim to be done with Gears 2 and vow to never touch it again?

JB1981

-PXG- said:
I rarely get laggy matches anymore. In fact, I get host half the time.

Who the hell wants to be host?! Every time I get a kill as host I want to apologize to the other person because I have such a terribly unfair advantage :lol

Zezboob

Skilotonn said:
Probably the smartest thing I've ever seen you post... :lol

Is it that time of the month when you'll claim to be done with Gears 2 and vow to never touch it again?
Too bad for you, I'm afraid that you must have mistaken me with another :lol

I said once that I stopped to play, and I didn't play until the last map pack I got for free.
Made some achievement and I stopped again (but said nothing about it in this board - or another).

I didn't even play since they removed the ragdoll smokes. Not I didn't want, I was curious (and I am still) but no one of my friend list wanted to play so I didn't bother.

And to tell you everything since I have nothing to do better right now, I went back to Halo when the Mythic map pack was released. Incredible that I never get the sensation of being robbed/cheated or whatever when I play it, and believe me, I really don't miss all these Gears sessions worrying about bugs, lag and whatever, when only 1 game on 4 was good.

Then you will ask me why I am still here ? Because Gears is a game I care about. It has sooooooo much potential. I'm just waiting for it to fixed... one day... because like you said, we just need to give some time to Epic to fix it :lol

But I believe that one day, you will stop denying the truth, that even if Epic is trying to resolve some problems on Gears, they are clearly not putting the means needed behind it.
I don't know... do you never feel alone in this topic ?

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
I don't understand how you guys seem to get super laggy games all the time, I mean I get them too, but it's usually only maybe 2 out of 10 games or something. If I'm on early in the day or really late at night I might get more laggy games than usual, but if I'm playing during peak east coast hours then the connection is usually decent.

I think if they tweaked the "region preference" shit more it would help out even more. They need to include a straight up region filter in gears 3, make it an option so that players in sparsely populated countries can still find games.

Well, it a combination of some games having lag and other games have bullet delay. I have a bigger problem with bullet delay. Everything seems ok until you have your shotty in the back of someone skull and you fire once, twice, and sometimes three times, only to have them turn around and down with one shot. That is the most anoying problem about GOW2. Also, I have played 1115 games online of GOW2, so I know what I am talking about.

The host advantage in this games make me sad everytime I play, but I always come back hoping it's not as bad. Of course, it never happens.

AnEternalEnigma said:
The host advantage in this games make me sad everytime I play, but I always come back hoping it's not as bad. Of course, it never happens.

Host advantage is what ultimately kills the game for me. Lag is off and on but host advantage will always be there, and it makes private matches way less fun.

UraMallas

What the hell? Gamestop just called me and told me that the Gears of War All Fronts DLC was canceled by the publisher and will no longer be coming out. It was automated and not from my local store... what gives? What's this about? No more retail version?

whitehawk

Banned
UraMallas said:
What the hell? Gamestop just called me and told me that the Gears of War All Fronts DLC was canceled by the publisher and will no longer be coming out. It was automated and not from my local store... what gives? What's this about? No more retail version?
Probably an error on Gamestops part.

FrankT

UraMallas said:

Looks like they are going download only I suppose. Perhaps it has something to do with the price drop. They dropped it to $15 right? Retail version probably doesn't make a whole lot of sense at that rate I imagine.

whitehawk said:
Probably an error on Gamestops part.

A couple sites have reported on this. Looks like both version will be offered as DLC only. One for 1200 points, which is just the new content, and the other for 1600 points, which has all the DLC.

Seems fair enough to me. When it was first announced, I was going to pick up the retail version just for the extra crap, but then when they lowered the price for those who already bought all the DLC, I decided to get the download version. Now I guess there is no choice. This will work out well for MS and Epic. No costly distribution to stores, and it might encourage more users to connect to Live.

Raiden

Banned
Tomcat said:

This ... >ME ..all the fucking time. I pay 60 € a month for my internet, here in f'n Belgium it is the best you can get from my current provider, specifically for gaming with multiple consoles.

And i have matches like this all the time, i love this game i really, really, really do. But that lagging is making me cry, and i never cry.

3/10 matches i get lag even worse then this video, where i cant reload at all, add another 4 matches of 1 sec shotgun lag(try getting a gnasher kill with that), and if im lucky 2/10 stable matches.

This has fucked my K/D beyond and over.

I simply do not understand why they cant fix this, i never have lag in any other Live games or very rarely, and my favorite one lags like shit.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Zezboob said:
Too bad for you, I'm afraid that you must have mistaken me with another :lol

I said once that I stopped to play, and I didn't play until the last map pack I got for free.
Made some achievement and I stopped again (but said nothing about it in this board - or another).

I didn't even play since they removed the ragdoll smokes. Not I didn't want, I was curious (and I am still) but no one of my friend list wanted to play so I didn't bother.

And to tell you everything since I have nothing to do better right now, I went back to Halo when the Mythic map pack was released. Incredible that I never get the sensation of being robbed/cheated or whatever when I play it, and believe me, I really don't miss all these Gears sessions worrying about bugs, lag and whatever, when only 1 game on 4 was good.

Then you will ask me why I am still here ? Because Gears is a game I care about. It has sooooooo much potential. I'm just waiting for it to fixed... one day... because like you said, we just need to give some time to Epic to fix it :lol

But I believe that one day, you will stop denying the truth, that even if Epic is trying to resolve some problems on Gears, they are clearly not putting the means needed behind it.
I don't know... do you never feel alone in this topic ?

Funny, I can remember your name solely for complaining whenever I see it, and I'm sure you were one of those people saying that you'd never touch the game again - oh well, doesn't matter to me really...

And I dunno what truth I've been denying - if Epic wasn't trying to resolve problems, they wouldn't have made the server change to remove smoke stun - definitely an argument point that they aren't fixing the lag problem as fast as we would want though...

Patches never come as quickly as lots of people assume, especially if you want to get it done right, and on top of that of course I would imagine that Gears 2 lag fixes take extra time, especially if there's one single guy behind all of the netcode...

cresto

I've ran into very few problems with the game since they fixed the smoke grenades. Sure, there are a few games where you will get a mexican or euro host, but its manageable. I think people don't like this game because of all the BS that you have to put up with, and thanks to that, they are pretty much set on their opinions of the game. I still enjoy playing it, especially when i get to play with people with mics, which is extremely rare. I like the party system, but I wish there was a way games could some how disable it when in multiplayer games. It's incredibly boring to play by yourself when you are the only one outside of a party or willing to speak.

Falagard

Skilotonn said:
And I dunno what truth I've been denying - if Epic wasn't trying to resolve problems, they wouldn't have made the server change to remove smoke stun - definitely an argument point that they aren't fixing the lag problem as fast as we would want though...

Patches never come as quickly as lots of people assume, especially if you want to get it done right, and on top of that of course I would imagine that Gears 2 lag fixes take extra time, especially if there's one single guy behind all of the netcode...

They've admitted they aren't making any networking changes to fix lag in Title Update 4. Gears 2 will continue to be a horrible lag fest for most people, forever.

Unfortunately there is nothing in TU4 specifically dealing with lag. We've done all the stuff we could do easily within the confines of a title update. The biggest factor in lag right now seems to be host selection and we're continuing to look at possible solutions to that problem.

Thanks,

Rod.

cresto

Shins said:
Too bad you're wrong, asshole.
Why am I an ass hole? They've tried to fix things, maybe not as fast as you would like, but the games setup can only grant so much room for improvement. They had to add the skill rankings in which kind of made this the whole issue.

Tomcat

Gears of War 2 Title Update 4 Detailed Release Notes

Title Update 4 has not yet passed certification and so I am unable to give you a specific date for it's release, but I wanted to get you the information. The following fixes and improvements are included in the upcoming Title Update 4.

Improvements

Title Update 4 makes these new improvements:
• Adds the ability to collect multiplayer experience by playing Horde mode. Players currently gain experience at this rate:
o 50 points per completed Casual wave.
o 75 points per completed Normal wave.
o 100 points per completed Hardcore wave.
o 125 points per completed Insane wave.
• Adds the ability to restart Public Horde from the current failed wave instead of having to start over from wave 1. Title Update 4 also allows the host to kick players from a Public Horde session.
• Increases the frequency of downloadable content (DLC) maps showing up in map voting if all players have shared map packs.
• Adds a message at the end of the match to explain to players that they should wait before quitting so that they avoid an experience penalty for quitting early.
• Adds support for the new campaign chapter, "Road to Ruin."
• Adds 13 new achievements worth 325 points. All of the new achievements require the Dark Corners Map Pack, a set of seven new maps and a deleted campaign chapter to be released July 28. The 13 new achievements are:
o "My Way or the Highway" (25 points): Without being detected, complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene after choosing the stealth option.
o "Highway to Hell" (25 points): Complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene after choosing the guns-blazing option.
o "Two for the Road" (25 points): Complete the "Road to Ruin" deleted scene in co-op as either Marcus or Dom.
o "Be Careful What You Wish For" (10 points): Reach level 5 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 10 on the War Machine map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Ride It All Night Long" (10 points): Reach level 10 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 10 on the Highway map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "No, But His Face Rings a Bell" (15 points): Reach level 15 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 20 on the Sanctuary map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Lost in Transition" (20 points): Reach level 20 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 20 on the Way Station map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Like Father, Like Gun" (30 points): Reach level 30 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 30 on the Allfathers Garden map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Am I Only Dreaming?" (40 points): Reach level 40 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 40 on the Memorial map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Blood on the Sand" (50 points): Reach level 50 in multiplayer and complete waves 1 through 50 on the Nowhere map in Horde (any difficulty).
o "Afraid of the Dark" (20 points): Play a multiplayer match on each of the seven Dark Corners Map Pack maps (any mode).
o "Did Not Go Gentle" (30 points): Win a multiplayer match on each of the seven Dark Corners Map Pack maps (any mode)
o "Is it Hot or Is That Just You?" (25 points): Kill 25 Bloodmounts with a Scorcher Flamethrower while playing Horde on a Dark Corners Map Pack map (any difficulty).
Exploit Fixes

Title Update 4 fixes these possible exploits, where under certain circumstances:
• A player could copy game progression data from one profile to another.
• A team could use the 50-point revive bonus to artificially increase its score in Horde. Going down but not out (DBNO) in Horde now subtracts 50 points, so there is no advantage to using the revive-bonus technique.
• A player could get 2 points for each kill in Wingman.
• A player could continue to shoot the Flamethrower while performing special movements like evading and mantling.
• A player could cause heavy weapons to spawn continuously while playing Horde.
Title Update 4 also fixes a number of lesser-known exploits.

General Fixes

Title Update 4 fixes these other issues as well:
• An issue that could cause players to lose all achievement progression if they signed in during a loading screen.
• Issues related to the Smoke Grenade causing a player to cringe instead of knocking them down. If hit by a Smoke Grenade with cringing turned on, players will now:
o Drop the Boomshield, even if aiming while carrying it.
o Drop a heavy weapon, even if it is deployed.
o Cringe while roadie running.
o Cringe while in cover.
• An issue that prevented players from shooting around the lower left side of a planted shield.
• An issue that could cause a DBNO player to not appear as DBNO.
• An issue that prevented Gears players from inviting players of other games to join them in progress in a Private match using DLC.
• Issues that caused rich presence information to become inaccurate.
• An issue that caused the overall achievements progress bar to not reflect the latest achievements.
• An assortment of localization bug fixes.
• Additional miscellaneous bug fixes.
Balancing

Title Update 4 makes these balancing changes:
• Adds a 30-second delay in map-based weapon spawning at the beginning of a Wingman match.
• Adds more future server-side balancing options.
We continue to test internally and monitor online gameplay to determine what else may need adjusting.

I was expecting more from this update

No lag fixes
No locale only option like cod:waw
No map cycle
No better host selection
No shield glitch on pavillion
No spawn without a weapon
etc

cresto

That's a pretty disappionting update tbh. The only decent thing I can take out of that would be the stun in certain situations, making them still a useful item. I am disappointed they did not remove power weapons entirely from wingman games.

That little done in so much time? Hmm, GoW3 is already starting to get going, im sure.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
I really don't think they can fix the host/lag issues via title update. I hope I'm proven wrong but we're at TU4 and the most critical issues has yet to be addressed which leads me to believe it cannot and won't ever be fixed. Hell, if you count the time since Gears 1 was released they've had years to fix the problem and they haven't done so. Obviously they can't figure out the problem or fix the problem without totally overhauling the entire game/netcode.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
RSTEIN said:
I really don't think they can fix the host/lag issues via title update. I hope I'm proven wrong but we're at TU4 and the most critical issues has yet to be addressed which leads me to believe it cannot and won't ever be fixed. Hell, if you count the time since Gears 1 was released they've had years to fix the problem and they haven't done so. Obviously they can't figure out the problem or fix the problem without totally overhauling the entire game/netcode.

I don't know, things seem different this time around. They started working on Gears PC right after Gears 1 came out and since that [had] the potential for a lot more money, they focused on that. Not to mention they were also working on Gears 2, as well.

This time around with no Gears 2 PC and Gears 3 not coming out in Fall 2010 like originally assumed, it seems they're really wanting to support Gears 2 this time around for as long as possible.

DoomGyver

In 07 and 08 everyone who played a lot of Gears 1 wanted client-side hit detection. Epic said that server-side hit detection was coded into UE3 and to change it to CSHD they would not only have to overhaul the netcode itself, but they would have to overhaul some of the backbone to UE3.

I guess that's just too much work so they said fuck it.

And since Gears 2 has sold well I honestly doubt they'll do anything to fix it for Gears 3.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
While I sure Gears will be as buggy and laggy as ever, the additions to Horde mode are greatly appreciated (getting to level fifty will be a hell of a lot more fun).

Speaking of bugs, an interesting thing happened on my way to getting my Seriously 2.0 achievement.

8815B05E14181ADAEDFC.jpg

5E452BF614181AD8FBFF.jpg

I hope with gears 3 they bring back the dark shadows and lighting the first one has, the second looks like it's been bleached and then played over vga before the 360 vga fix, washing out all the colours. Doesn't suit gears imo and one other reason why I love the first game more then the second.

borsdy

Banned
I am really happy that we'll earn experience in horde mode, I don't think I would unlock those achievements from TU3 otherwise.

Woffls

Sooooo what's the easiest way of getting the "Parting Gift" achievement?
Whenever I try and get downed I get killed instantly instead. It's god damn annoying.

If it weren't for Horde I simply would not have bought this game. The online MP is laggy as hell, and somehow the cover system is even worse than it was in Gears 1.

DUDE HUGE if you are listening... Pleeaaseee but roadie run and snap to cover on a different fucking button.

whitehawk

Banned
Woffls said:
Okay brilliant contribution. Why not?
While sometimes the one button may mess things up, it keeps it simple and easy to play for the most part. The less buttons the better. Besides there aren't any buttons left.

Daante

Very lttp but i beat the game 2 days ago (got a 360 like a week ago so) and holycow..
Best game i played in a long long time!!

shitty patch. on top of that, i recently brought my gamertag to a friend's using my memory card and (shock and awe!) had my rank 45 reset to 1 as soon as we loaded up gears. fuck you Epic.

Woffls said:
DUDE HUGE if you are listening... Pleeaaseee but roadie run and snap to cover on a different fucking button.
are you blind or just lazy? open up your options menu and change the controls to Alternate. i set mine day one and never looked back.

Raiden

Banned
Woffls said:
Sooooo what's the easiest way of getting the "Parting Gift" achievement?
Whenever I try and get downed I get killed instantly instead. It's god damn annoying.

If it weren't for Horde I simply would not have bought this game. The online MP is laggy as hell, and somehow the cover system is even worse than it was in Gears 1.

The easy and lame way= Start a private MP match, with all bots, set custom grenades, annex, pick them up, let them down you, press the right trigger, watch.

Hootie

Question!

When I go to play "Horde on Map Packs" it says I can't play because I don't have the "Flashback" map pack, even though I DO. I also have the snowblind maps of course, BUT I don't have the Combustible, which I assume is why I can't play. The only thing is, why is it telling me I don't have the Flashback when in fact I don't have Combustible?

Feindflug

Hootie said:
Question!

When I go to play "Horde on Map Packs" it says I can't play because I don't have the "Flashback" map pack, even though I DO. I also have the snowblind maps of course, BUT I don't have the Combustible, which I assume is why I can't play. The only thing is, why is it telling me I don't have the Flashback when in fact I don't have Combustible?

Same here, I thought WTF? maybe it's because I don't have the Snowblind map pack..hopefully they'll fix this because I really want to play Horde on the Flashback & Combustible maps.

About the Pavilion wall glitch well maybe they aren't fixing this because people camping inside the spawn can be really annoying especially with all these fast respawning grenades. :p

Tomcat

Feindflug said:
Same here, I thought WTF? maybe it's because I don't have the Snowblind map pack..hopefully they'll fix this because I really want to play Horde on the Flashback & Combustible maps.

About the Pavilion wall glitch well maybe they aren't fixing this because people camping inside the spawn can be really annoying especially with all these fast respawning grenades. :p

I think they will fix the problem with the maps through the new update

As for the glitch why they dont open the doors like in the wingman mode. Approving a glitch (by the developer) is lame and i have never seen it before.

smik

Tomcat said:
About the shield glitch on pavillion

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=26580281&postcount=84

Only epic could do this :D

:lol :lol :lol

no wonder i happily stop playing this shit mid january :D yes i can say that with a smile on my face

this makes me believe that they can't fix Gears 2 even if they wanted to, EPIC is really getting a name for itself for being Bug ridden Developers especially in the Multiplayer Department.

seriously recoup, stop all your work on GOW2 after your Dark corners DLC and put all your work towards undoing all the shit you did in GOW2, focus entirely on making GOW3 playable online for "all" regions.

Player matches, Map cycles, AOORR and Server List will equal to "some" restoration to your ugly fat step child that is GOW2. this is all just getting embarrassing really, where is that "Glitches of War" video when you need a laugh? :lol oh dear...

Lkr

I haven't played much XBOX lately, need some new games. I hate this game, but love it. It is just so much damn fun, and I loved campaign. It pains me that the multiplayer is so buggy, yet so fun :(

I started playing this again after months off. So in one of my first matches I hipshot a wall and somehow killed someone with a headshot. Nobody was around me.

Top Bottom