• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

bumpkin

goldenpp72 said:
Wanna be on my team
:lol

I can't recall the last time I played Gears 2 online, but it has nothing to do with glitches or lag. I've just been preoccupied with other games. I'll definitely be back in the swing of things when "Dark Corners" comes out though!

Tomcat

"It's been sort of an ongoing struggle for us with the shotgun in that we're trying to create a tactical, cover-based shooter game but people like running around with the shotgun and gibbing people. You can't complain, it certainly is fun, and that's one of the cases where you really have to watch the vocal minority, the hardcore, that's telling you one thing, and the silent majority, the new players, who are potentially telling you another thing which is they don't want the shotgun to be faster because they can't keep up with the hardcore. It's that kind of balance."

more here

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/100/1000609p1.html

For those that didn't read the 4 pages of the IGN interview:

-- Patch releases tomorrow (Friday) morning
-- Double XP weekend
-- More tickers being added to Horde mode

Hootie

george21000 said:
Fourth of July, "fireworks" or some weird reason like that

Whoa I just read that part and I guess Wave 10 will be all tickers this weekend. That should be interesting...:lol

EDIT: OH SHIIIIIII title update 4 is coming out TOMORROW!??! Holy shit I thought it was coming out the same day as Dark Corners. Horde EXP here I motherfucking come!!!!!!!!

AkuMifune

Banned
Sounds like alot of fun! I'll be playing over the weekend as much as possible, so if you wanna get some GAF MP or Horde action going, add me up.

GT: AkuMifune

UPDATE - TU4 has passed certification and will be deployed at 2 AM PST. Please remember it can take a fair amount of time for it to propagate around the world so please be patient. See you in Horde!
Sweet.

• Adds the ability to restart Public Horde from the current failed wave instead of having to start over from wave 1.

Oh snap. I didn't realize that either. Double sweet.

-PXG-

New patch today? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!! I just got BlazBlue, my Gold subscription just expired and I'm going to beach with my girlfriend for the weekend. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Hootie said:
Whoa I just read that part and I guess Wave 10 will be all tickers this weekend. That should be interesting...:lol

EDIT: OH SHIIIIIII title update 4 is coming out TOMORROW!??! Holy shit I thought it was coming out the same day as Dark Corners. Horde EXP here I motherfucking come!!!!!!!!
Hate to rain on your parade but the XP you'll get from Horde is basically pointless. Probably gonna take you 10000 times longer to level up there.

Zzoram

AndyMoogle said:
Hate to rain on your parade but the XP you'll get from Horde is basically pointless. Probably gonna take you 10000 times longer to level up there.

It doesn't bother me, because I was going to only play Horde regardless. At least this way I will slowly get some of those rank based achievements.

Flunkie

Banned
-PXG- said:
New patch today? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!! I just got BlazBlue, my Gold subscription just expired and I'm going to beach with my girlfriend for the weekend. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
M2AF: Going to the beach this weekend

M2AF: At the beach

M2AF: Leaving the beach

JB1981

Dude... go to the beach. Look at some ass, get a nice tan, ride some waves, drink some Corona ... Gears can wait. It will lag like a bitch and you'll get host-shotty'd anyway.

Hootie

Mmm, just ranked up to Lvl 3 in Horde. The long days of being stuck as a lowly 1 are now over!

AndyMoogle said:

Yeah dude I don't play actual multiplayer. Horde is it for me so I really don't care how slow I level up. :D

Mamesj

Banned
Outside of being fun to kill, what's so great about tickers? I've never played much horde (beat the game on Hardcore then sold it at launch, just rebought it today.)

Ramirez

AnEternalEnigma said:
In my first match after downloading patch #4, I am seeing the idiotic smoke ragdoll crap again. Why?????????????????????

That happens to me from time to time in some matches, not sure why, it'll go back to the stun the next game.

Zzoram

Mamesj said:
Outside of being fun to kill, what's so great about tickers? I've never played much horde (beat the game on Hardcore then sold it at launch, just rebought it today.)

Melee 40 of them when they ignite for an achievement. Maybe they found in their stats that this was the least achieved achievement and wanted to change that?

whitehawk

Banned
Relix said:
Really. Epic has a clusterfuck of a team for programmers :lol
Seriously. I remember a while back a programmer at Epic posted on the forums. He replied to a guy pondering about something to do with the net code. The Epic guy was like "I'm the guy who writes all the netcode for gears, I did it for Gears 1 too, and it works like this, blah blah blah".

My first reactions was "So you're the idiot Epic should have fired years ago.".

Mamesj

Banned
So is there a well known glitch where the other team disappears, forcing you to exit to the dash? just happened to me on public match (guardian)

smik

TU4 has unleashed a whole amount of new glitches and problems just like its previous updates

Invincible glitch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DHJr4AyRw

Massive meltdowns going down again at the EPIC forums, Epic staff are going through there weekly forum diplomatic silencing and removing all positive and negative feedback threads. 4 Title Updates and still all this mess... thank fuck i stop playing this in january

its amazing how this game went from a very successful multiplayer experience to a game that just cant get it right like the Original (Gameplay & Matchmaking) Gears 1 capitalized and didn't have the tag of having "potential" like (GOW2) because it actually fulfilled its near full potential

Gears 2 is like a train wreck that you just cant turn away from

Feindflug

Zezboob said:
Embarrassing (and sad)

Seriously quotes like this:

"It's been sort of an ongoing struggle for us with the shotgun in that we're trying to create a tactical, cover-based shooter game but people like running around with the shotgun and gibbing people. You can't complain, it certainly is fun, and that's one of the cases where you really have to watch the vocal minority, the hardcore, that's telling you one thing, and the silent majority, the new players, who are potentially telling you another thing which is they don't want the shotgun to be faster because they can't keep up with the hardcore. It's that kind of balance."

are definitely showing the direction and some choices about Gears 2's mp like lowering the speed, nerfed the shotgun, adding stopping power, grenade planting and weapons like the mortar & flamethrower...it's pretty clear that they wanted to make the game noob-friendly and fuck all those who spend hrs and hrs mastering the first game...and I was wondering why they changed the gameplay so much when the first game was amost perfect in that regard.

Yesterday I popped in after almost a year Gears 1 and the game felt like back then - amazing...Gears 2 feels like a downgrade in almost all areas. The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure Gears 3 will be noob-friendly crap again with lots of glitches and lots of bullet lag...embarassing and sad indeed.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Well, I have played 5 matches since the update and I am happy but all my games were during Sunday afternoon, hopefully it will play this well during prime time gaming hours. The game plays alot better now. The hit detection on the shotgun seems to be fixed now whether you are host or not. The are few gameplay changes as well, torque bow now takes longer to get to full charge to stick someone which is good because torque was a little too powerful in GOW2. Also, Mortar has a longer animation which leaves the player vulnerable longer in between firings. So far, so good more testing tonight.

As far as glitches goes, I know there will be glitches that is just a part of online gaming. I just wanted the lag and the hit detection to improve.

smik

Feindflug said:
Seriously quotes like this:

are definitely showing the direction and some choices about Gears 2's mp like lowering the speed, nerfed the shotgun, adding stopping power, grenade planting and weapons like the mortar & flamethrower...it's pretty clear that they wanted to make the game noob-friendly and fuck all those who spend hrs and hrs mastering the first game...and I was wondering why they changed the gameplay so much when the first game was amost perfect in that regard.

Yesterday I popped in after almost a year Gears 1 and the game felt like back then - amazing...Gears 2 feels like a downgrade in almost all areas. The sad thing is that I'm pretty sure Gears 3 will be noob-friendly crap again with lots of glitches and lots of bullet lag...embarassing and sad indeed.

i agree,

you would think EPIC would "get it" that Horde Mode caters perfectly to the casuals and is very user and noob friendly,
it just baffle's me as to why they changed everything that even resembles the GOW1 experience. putting AI bots in ranked matches just screams EPIC knows the multiplayer has failed.

How many missing features?

No Player Matches - this ultimately was the best feature GOW1 had i could choose precisely what map, mode and rounds
No Cycled Maps - GOW use to be a very social experience old & young, noob & hardcore.
No Ping Indicators - it could check gamertags to see if they were local just incase
No Lobbys - finding a good match literally took seconds

How many weapon imbalances?

Hamerburst - clearly overpowered rifle should only be a pickup weapon (Lancer V Lancer is the only way to go)
Grenades - Wall Tags have really slowed down and put a damper on the experience, very inconsistent lag is prevalent and the Explode Radius is ridiculous
Boomshot - 3 (YES THREE boomshots with a Massive explode radius, this weapon can easily wipe out a whole team
Torque Bow - once a skilled weapon reduce to being shoot anywhere near a opponent and be rewarded
Longshot - with poor hit detection and no active reload its no longer a threat.
Gnasher - slow fire rate, has action delay
smoke changes - no cringe , cringe, knockdown, no knockdown
Mixed bag of useless weapons - Gorgon pistol, Mulcher, Boomshield and somewhat the Boltok

Now if that's not all completely a downgraded experience then i dont know what is, i didnt even get to the glitches, lag and the poor weapon placements on the maps. frustrating that the reviewer's didn't punish GOW2 enough for its flaws and yet still give it high reviews, have not even attempted replaying the campaign

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
smik said:
TU4 has unleashed a whole amount of new glitches and problems just like its previous updates

Invincible glitch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-DHJr4AyRw

Massive meltdowns going down again at the EPIC forums, Epic staff are going through there weekly forum diplomatic silencing and removing all positive and negative feedback threads. 4 Title Updates and still all this mess... thank fuck i stop playing this in january

its amazing how this game went from a very successful multiplayer experience to a game that just cant get it right like the Original (Gameplay & Matchmaking) Gears 1 capitalized and didn't have the tag of having "potential" like (GOW2) because it actually fulfilled its near full potential

Gears 2 is like a train wreck that you just cant turn away from

EPIC Games banning complainers

Just saw this on twitter.

AkuMifune

Banned
I gained 15 levels playing over the weekend and never encountered a glitch other than the occasional lag. Also, the official boards have become an intolerable cesspool of whining bitches anyway. I say the complaints have been blown out of proportion and good riddance to those idiots.

But of course banning them will just bring more attention to the community and the perceived issues Gears online has so...bad move Epic.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
I just finished another 5 matches during 11pm to 12am EST and would have to say this is by far the best patch for GOW2 so far. I only had one match have a patch of lag in the middle of one match and that was it. As far as host powers go, there is no longer one person with 15 to 20 kills and rest in single digits, it is a nice even spread for the whole team. Please understand that I am not saying that GOW2 is perfect but for me at least is worth playing everynight again.

Cliffy B said:
So, a lot of players playing Gears 1 had a concern about host advantage. since Gears is a Client/Server architecture, not a Peer-to-Peer architecture. Our solution to this is optimize, optimize, optimize. Basically get players to the point where host has very little advantage to none at all, so players cant even tell who the host is when playing online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-NBPAUf3o

So, what did they optimize?

mattso

I'm glad to hear the new patch is pretty good. I wasn't planning on playing this til the new content came out and finishing up some other stuff... might have to jump in sooner.

I really want to finally beat 50 levels of horde now that restart is possible. The few times I got a good public team and made it into the 40s once shit would hit the fan no one wanted to start over again.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Gunstar77 said:
I just finished another 5 matches during 11pm to 12am EST and would have to say this is by far the best patch for GOW2 so far. I only had one match have a patch of lag in the middle of one match and that was it. As far as host powers go, there is no longer one person with 15 to 20 kills and rest in single digits, it is a nice even spread for the whole team. Please understand that I am not saying that GOW2 is perfect but for me at least is worth playing everynight again.

Good to hear. I usually play with friends and have a good time. I wanted to play with GAF peeps, but this thread is so full of complaining, I figured playing with people here would be not enjoyable at all.

Top Bottom